Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

...EZ's Pure Garage mixes really take me back. The occassional bit of pure bait stuff in there (hey they were out on Warner's so what do you expect?), but still a load of nice stuff mixed-up. On saying that he did do that Bass, Breaks & Beats mix which was fantastic, full of the darker stuff and that kinda proto-Grime kinda thing.

The thing is UK Garage became a very, very different beast to the original US stuff, so liking one doesn't mean you might like the other.

I mean the UK stuff spawned out of the US stuff sure, and if you look at say, early Nice 'N' Ripe releases, it's close in style but still just that little bit different. Come '95/96 or so you start bringing in the bass more, then you bring in the Jungle more so you end up with the Speed Garage thing which is just light years away from the original American style, and it just got weirder from there!

E: And for some actual useful content, I remembered there was a similar conversation in the old thread, so a quick trawl through the archives I found it. Anyway I had recommended both Azuli Records "Blackmarket Presents 2-Step". The first mixed by Frankie Foncett and the second by Groove Chronicles.

Then check out Locked On records Sound Of The Pirates mixes. Zed Bias did the first while Ed Case did the second.

Start on those four comps for that early 00s 2-step sound.

First link was alright. I appreciate the historical value of the track. Second link, the remix...I was feelin' that one a bit more. Third link...drat nice!

Gonna try to check out those compilations more. I listened to a few tracks off of the Blackmarkets and enjoyed what I heard, so I'm sure I'll like the full package on both of those. Excited to check out the Sound of the Pirates mixes as well!

Mike V - That track you posted is some dope poo poo! Definitely closer to what I like.

JamesKPolk - That live mix was a banger...I love that there's so much use of 90's R&B throwbacks in this style. And to think I'd actually not be driven mad by hearing Brandy and Monica singing "The Boy Is Mine" after hearing it get spammed to hell when it initially came out. drat.

So...There's this fighting game series called "Melty Blood" and in the latest version, "Actress Again" (Japan...that's really all I can say to that), there's this airport stage that has this interesting track called "Raven's Nest". What do y'all think? I was feelin' it when I heard it.

Wish I could find a listenable version of "Neighbourhood 09 (Solution Remix)" for you guys, because I LOVE that version of the song (the El-B version is dope, too.), but alas, no dice.

"Pure Garage" and "Has It Come To This?" by The Streets were my poo poo back when they dropped.

"Believe Me (Nixus Remix)" by Blu Mar Ten is also a personal favorite...

Now, to check out the stuff in the OP, and that DJ EZ mix you dropped.

Riot.EXE fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Feb 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Never forget how superior bassline is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgXX000FwOY

Riot.EXE
Oct 11, 2007

Mike_V posted:

Never forget how superior bassline is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgXX000FwOY

Good loving lord, this is great!

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
Good release thats out on MP3 tonight: https://soundcloud.com/dark-sky/sets/ndk004-dark-sky-breach

B-side reminds me of bassline a lot

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

infinity2005 posted:

Good release thats out on MP3 tonight: https://soundcloud.com/dark-sky/sets/ndk004-dark-sky-breach

Yeah the 12" was out like, last week or the week before. Totally digging it. Actually been digging all their stuff actually, all the Black Acre releases etc. Really I think they just get everything blended up so perfectly, you can hear the Dubstep, Garage, Bassline, whatever, all nicely and perfectly balanced and put out in one cohesive thing.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Disclosure's become such a powerhouse now and the hype for them keeps building up. SXSW will be the make/break point of opening them up to American ears. Very excited to see them live.

http://mixmag.net/words/features/disclosure-chart-success-victory-uk-dance-music

e: Holy poo poo. Just saw VIVEK is performing in Dallas (well, Denton) April 19. I can't think of any other legit dubstep producer who's been to North Texas like... ever, and he'll play a legendary local venue. I hope that also sets up some more good bass music to be booked up here. That just made my day.

air- fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 11, 2013

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

air- posted:

Disclosure's become such a powerhouse now and the hype for them keeps building up. SXSW will be the make/break point of opening them up to American ears. Very excited to see them live.

Yeah I saw they were hitting up there in the charts. At least Island's money isn't going to waste.

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

infinity2005 posted:

This is out of control!!

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Banger.
https://soundcloud.com/looklikemusic/lil-kim-crush-on-you

MNSNTZR
Oct 13, 2012

Maguro posted:

I just did a 160bpm mix for a series of parties/mixes that my friend has hilariously dubbed "NOLAier room".
https://soundcloud.com/djchumpchange/nolaier-room-vol-21-chump

NOLAier Room Vol. 21 (CHUMP CHANGE MINI-MIX)

01.2000F & J Kamata - You Don't Know What Love Is [Producer Vee's $20.13 Easy Money Refix]

02.Moduloktopus - Formless

03.Bass Taco - Work That (Workout Edition)

04.Bass Taco - Flip my Chips

05.Skimatix - Mantra

06.Bass Taco - Smoke Signals (ft. Wun Lyfe)

07.Paisley Parks - GO

08.Juke Ellington - Elea

New Orleans people should come out to the Hookah on Decatur for the first party on Feb. 19th.

There are also lots of other good mixes in the NOLAier room soundcloud group:
https://soundcloud.com/groups/nolaier-room-sessions/

Fuuuuck, I wish I wasn't moving up north on the 18th. Japanese juke is such a huge thing for me. :(

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Happy Valentine's Day, thread: https://soundcloud.com/umguk/pure-grime-vol-1

air-
Sep 24, 2007

gently caress off. Wow, I am loading that into my ipod as soon as I get home.

Hidden Mother
Nov 12, 2012

MNSNTZR posted:

Fuuuuck, I wish I wasn't moving up north on the 18th. Japanese juke is such a huge thing for me. :(

Man, all this is loving great. For whatever reason I never imagine there being much of a bass scene in Japan (although why wouldn't there be duh). How much is going on over there?

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

MNSNTZR posted:

Are you in New Orleans? I have a gig on the 16th as well, downstairs at the dragons den from like 10-11:30 or something.

MNSNTZR
Oct 13, 2012

Hidden Mother posted:

Man, all this is loving great. For whatever reason I never imagine there being much of a bass scene in Japan (although why wouldn't there be duh). How much is going on over there?

A goon with a better knowledge of the genre (and there seems to be plenty) could answer that better than I could. I just know that I never find myself thirsty for it. There seems to be something new everywhere, not just in Japan, but in places like The Netherlands, and Lithuania and Monterrey. I know the last one doesn't really fit, but I have no idea what you call Drop Ur rear end. I really can't get enough of this stuff.

Maguro posted:

Are you in New Orleans? I have a gig on the 16th as well, downstairs at the dragons den from like 10-11:30 or something.

A decent ways out, but you still have absolutely all my love and good wishes on being a radass playing this stuff.

MNSNTZR fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Feb 15, 2013

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/cakeshopseoul

jackmaster playing in seoul right now

edit: closed when i heard rustie

a milk crime fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Feb 15, 2013

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

a milk crime posted:

edit: closed when i heard rustie

Hey now, Rustie isn't that bad a DJ!

In news, Big Dada announced Grime 2.0, a 2CD pack of instrumentals coming out in a couple of months. A nice looking mix of older and newer producers, so some big names like Wiley, Preditah, Darq E Freaker, TRC and a bajillion more.

I've got to admit as good as it's sounding, it's a wee bit disappointing it's instrumentals only. I'd be even happier if it was like a 4CD pack with 2 of vocals and the 2 instrumentals, but ah well, that's life.

I have to admit I've always thought it was a bit of a missed opportunity for Big Dada when Grime first came around. Obviously they picked up that Wiley album, but they really could've operated in a way like 679 did (up until they started signing dodgy indie groups) or Casual could've (if it survived). They could've ended up the label for Grime artists to be. A proper recognised label that had a big, fat stable of amazing artists pushing that sound around the world.

Not that I think they'd have sold millions of Bashy LPs or anything, but I doubt it would've done any worse than the UK Hip-Hop stuff they originally pushed. Hell the crowds overlapped enough so it's not like it would've been a massive leap, and it might've given the artists that extra bit of focus which is all half of them ever needed really.

Of course this is forgetting that all the Grime guys were all desperately trying for the major labels instead but whatever.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Hey now, Rustie isn't that bad a DJ!

This was Jackmaster was playing Rustie- the gig was in Seoul. Also I like Rustie as a DJ just as much as I like him as a producer (which is to say, not really at all). I know you're feeling Glasgow pride or w/e but I just am not down.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

a milk crime posted:

This was Jackmaster was playing Rustie- the gig was in Seoul. Also I like Rustie as a DJ just as much as I like him as a producer (which is to say, not really at all). I know you're feeling Glasgow pride or w/e but I just am not down.

Ah I thought you were meaning Rustie was on after Jackmaster. I just remember someone here saying what a terrible DJ Rustie was, and to be honest I'm sure I saw Rustie more than once way back when, I just can't remember it at all so I can never confirm that or not. Jackmaster and HudMo however I did see a billion and one times DJing, and I do remember all of those. Well most of those. Okay some of those. The odd one or two.

In my defense I think I have critised Rustie as a producer many times. I liked the first EP of his on Stuff, the one with the hand done cover (that I'm disappointed to find out isn't yet worth thousands on Discogs yet, ah well maybe next year) but other than that I really didn't like any of his work again until Glass Swords came out, which was a real surprise to me. It was actually listenable!

And anyway neither Rustie or HudMo get too much love from me for moving down to London. Sell outs! :argh:

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Don't listen to Jack, he is a Rustie hater but rides for The Weeknd for some reason :twisted:

Also, hell ya to that 2xCD for grime instros. More instros, please. Also gently caress UK Hip Hop forever.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

Mike_V posted:

but rides for The Weeknd for some reason :twisted:

u no that's a dirty lie...................................................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=intYtCQBFQM

in any case i want this to show up in the mail right now

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
On the latest Elijah + Skilliam podcast I heard a VIP of DOK's Chemical Planet that hewed a lot closer to the original Sonic 2 music. Is that available anywhere?

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Mike_V posted:

Also gently caress UK Hip Hop forever.

Hey you're just jealous man! I don't know what of, but I'm sure the hates due to jealousy! I mean how could it not be with all this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lkLaxKbU4Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjsbfzHJiK8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRYlwA0eMWk

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

On the latest Elijah + Skilliam podcast I heard a VIP of DOK's Chemical Planet that hewed a lot closer to the original Sonic 2 music. Is that available anywhere?

You know what, I keep on thinking there has been a VIP of that released, but everytime I'm wrong. gently caress knows why I keep on thinking so. Unless I'm wrong again be prepared to live like it was the good ol' days. No VIP for you! Or me. Or anyone. Still you never know, Butterz does have a history of putting out VIP mixes.

Anyway I picked up the new release by the old master Nubian Mindz (aka Alpha Omega for the D&B folk) on Disko404 the other day. A nice slab of funky Detroity-influenced Techno Bass thing. Of course here's me being smug and anal and saying to myself, "it's not a bloody EP it's only got 2 songs!" then I find out the digital release has another 2 tracks! gently caress you digital releases! I've paid my money, hell I probably paid more money than the cunts who bought only digital. I want the full thing dammit! Not a happy loving bunny now.

The Fuck Juicer
Oct 16, 2012

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

then I find out the digital release has another 2 tracks! gently caress you digital releases! I've paid my money, hell I probably paid more money than the cunts who bought only digital. I want the full thing dammit! Not a happy loving bunny now.

Made even worse by the fact that '2nd Chapter Of 74' is the best tune on the EP! Least that Kaleidoscope is a free download, it's a banger.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Hatem Ben Arfa posted:

Made even worse by the fact that '2nd Chapter Of 74' is the best tune on the EP! Least that Kaleidoscope is a free download, it's a banger.

Totally, the fact the tunes you miss out on are really good just rubs salt in the wound. I wouldn't be complaining so much if it was a shitey wee throw away track, but when it's actually good?! Just not happy at all. It's been a bit of a creeping trend over the past few years and it's just a bit of a dick move all around really.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
Anyone know any good mixes for that mid 90s US Garage sound?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

I'll be posting up a lot of SXSW related content for the next month or so, and this is the first big event I've seen. Work's in the way of this one :(

http://www.rsvpster.com/sxsw-party-calendar/dub-academy-and-new-gyration-present-the-surefire-boat-party/

Anae
Apr 23, 2008

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

You know what, I keep on thinking there has been a VIP of that released, but everytime I'm wrong. gently caress knows why I keep on thinking so. Unless I'm wrong again be prepared to live like it was the good ol' days. No VIP for you! Or me. Or anyone. Still you never know, Butterz does have a history of putting out VIP mixes.

I don't know for certain, but I get the feeling it might be on one of the Butterz .Zips - I'm pretty sure there was a version or two on one of them. It may have been the DJ Q remix or something though.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Anae posted:

I don't know for certain, but I get the feeling it might be on one of the Butterz .Zips - I'm pretty sure there was a version or two on one of them. It may have been the DJ Q remix or something though.

Hmm, maybe that's what I'm thinking of then. It was just one of those ones that was lighting up my brain a bit.

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

Anyone know any good mixes for that mid 90s US Garage sound?

Do you mean like online mixes or CD mixes? 'cause I can name a billion CD compilations and mix CDs, but man I'm struggling to think of online/downloadable mixes, which is strange given how hot it used to be for a while, at least over here. I know a lot of that Back To 95 mixes kinda deals with it, though often with more of a UK slant on things which makes the sound pretty different.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Not quite bass, but I enjoyed Martyn's response in this interview:

quote:

There’s a difference between club music and EDM. I was always inspired by underground house music and techno when it was in New York or Detroit or Chicago… I think the sound of dubstep and electro-house took hold of the U.S. and it didn’t evolve into club music. It evolved into stadium music. It sounds more like nu-metal. If you go to a rave, it’s not really a rave. It’s a metal concert. It’s not really electronic dance music that’s taking over, it’s just a replacement for Limp Bizkit and Rage Against the Machine. And it’s the energy as well. It’s not hours and hours of dancing. It’s short bursts of craziness, two minutes of taking pictures of each other, then more bursts of craziness. But I don’t have any problems with it, now. It’s not what I do. It’s something else.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

air- posted:

Martyn, Youngsta and Biome tonight in DC, all at U Hall. Going to be interesting.

Longtiem
Feb 9, 2010

air- posted:

That's actually a pretty accurate response, I would say.

Stuntastic
Jul 11, 2009

weed cave weed saves
New Salva EP is an absolute smasher

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5WgJkRnfAQ "BBQ"

untzthatshit
Oct 27, 2007

Snit Snitford

Only 5 bucks too.

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

Jesus, Nemo you alright?! Spaz! .... Stop Smiling!

air- posted:

Holy poo poo. Just saw VIVEK is performing in Dallas (well, Denton) April 19. I can't think of any other legit dubstep producer who's been to North Texas like... ever, and he'll play a legendary local venue. I hope that also sets up some more good bass music to be booked up here. That just made my day.

Distance was at Trees a while back, but I'm pretty excited this is awesome. Where did you find out? I wanna try and snatch some advance tickets if I can.

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

:krakken::krakken::krakken:
Digging the single for the new Lapalux album on Brainfeeder. Also this whole Wiley - Evolve Or Be Extinct thing that somehow came out last year but is brand new to me.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

GET MONEY posted:

Also this whole Wiley - Evolve Or Be Extinct thing that somehow came out last year but is brand new to me.

For shame! Here was I thinking you knew the script! Actually Wiley had one crazy year last year, from that Big Dada album at the very start of the year to conquering the charts. His big Warner album is out soon as well I think. Here's seeing how long it takes for him to get sick of the majors again and walks away with yet another big bag of notes.

Speaking of Wiley he's on Lethal B's new tune too.

A nice interview of Coki by Joe Muggs also went up today. No matter what you think of his more recent output, it still makes for a nice read I think. Plus he makes reference to one of the best tunes ever and uses it to make a good point about the mid-range being there for times, which is of course true. Of course he also makes a good point about the groove being there too, which is something either completely ignored - or probably more accurately - completely unknown about in most of todays mid-rangers.

SUBFRIES
Apr 10, 2008

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

A nice interview of Coki by Joe Muggs also went up today. No matter what you think of his more recent output, it still makes for a nice read I think. Plus he makes reference to one of the best tunes ever and uses it to make a good point about the mid-range being there for times, which is of course true. Of course he also makes a good point about the groove being there too, which is something either completely ignored - or probably more accurately - completely unknown about in most of todays mid-rangers.

Thanks for posting this, great read. I think I like Coki more having read that.

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

:krakken::krakken::krakken:

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

For shame! Here was I thinking you knew the script! Actually Wiley had one crazy year last year, from that Big Dada album at the very start of the year to conquering the charts. His big Warner album is out soon as well I think. Here's seeing how long it takes for him to get sick of the majors again and walks away with yet another big bag of notes.

Speaking of Wiley he's on Lethal B's new tune too.

That new Lethal B is mad, Wiley snaps. The last Eski project I got was Chill Out Zone and it was so effective I didn't hear anything until that catchy Can You Hear Me joint. Gold like Can I Have a Taxi Please just floated right by!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

SUBFRIES posted:

Thanks for posting this, great read. I think I like Coki more having read that.

Yeah I found it really interesting too. I've always found it weird that Coki's got the rep of making all this mental jump-up music, but personality wise he's always seemed totally 180 from the music he makes, so it's cool to actually see him give a rare interview with someone like Joe Muggs who actually knows what the gently caress he's talking about and isn't just asking the usual boring top 10 question kinda things. Some real interesting answers came out of it.

It's definitely still a bit unique to see he DJs nowadays, as - like he mentions - for years he just never did it! I want to say the only time I ever actually did see him DJ was at DMZ's 2nd birthday, at least I'm sure he ended up DJing there (maybe when they opened up the 3rd Bass part). Compare that to the rest of that original Dubstep circle who I couldn't begin to count the amount of times I saw them.

• Locked thread