Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

-Blackadder- posted:

I'm looking for some recommendations in the Space Strategy genre.

Specifically I'd be interested to hear some goon reviews on the following games that I'm looking at:

Nexus: The Jupiter Incident

I really enjoyed this, perhaps more so because there isn't anything else to compare it to. Myth in space? Ground Control in space? Freespace 2 if it was an RTS?

It plays like a RTS, but you only have the ships you start with(no base building or anything) and the combat is very detailed. You can go for all sorts of different sub systems, use boarding marines, fighters, bombers and a great selection of different weapons with different sized ships. Also I believe when ships are destroyed they are gone for good. This coupled with a pretty in-depth experience/loadout/upgrade system can make some pretty tense combat situations. Story was solid and the overall presentation of the game's universe was pretty solid hardcore sci-fi(no magic poo poo or wacky aliens) which was nice.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
Ok, so the wife and I are looking to get back into some co-oppery.

Games we loved:

Diablo II
Neverwinter Nights
Dungeons and Dragons Online
Dungeon Defenders
Castle Crashers
Burnout 3/Revenge (not Paradise)
River City Ransom
Double Dragon

I tried giving Path of Exile a spin, and while it works fine on my PC, her antiquated laptop is not powerful enough:

Pentium Core 2 Duo T4300 (2.1GHz)
2GB RAM
ATi Mobile Radeon 9700

We're shooting for something akin to Diablo II's action-focused hack 'n' slashery (over NWN's more methodical approach), but really we'll play anything co-op.

I was thinking something along the lines of:

Sacred
Dungeon Siege 1/2

Any other suggestions?

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Games we loved:

Diablo II
Neverwinter Nights
Dungeon Defenders
Castle Crashers
River City Ransom
Double Dragon

I tried giving Path of Exile a spin, and while it works fine on my PC, her antiquated laptop is not powerful enough:

2GB RAM
ATi Mobile Radeon 9700

We're shooting for something akin to Diablo II's action-focused hack 'n' slashery (over NWN's more methodical approach), but really we'll play anything co-op.

Sacred
Dungeon Siege 1/2

Any other suggestions?

What about Torchlight II? Lord of the Rings Online is pretty fun (and free) if you have the MMO itch.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

joshtothemaxx posted:

What about Torchlight II? Lord of the Rings Online is pretty fun (and free) if you have the MMO itch.

Do you think the 128MB on-board video would be able to swing TL2? This is what Runic has for the minimum:

quote:

Video Card: DirectX compatible 3D graphics card with at least 256MB of addressable memory.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Any other suggestions?

Borderlands 2... but the laptop might be an issue.

Torchlight 2 is basically Diablo, although we found the skills really boring. I don't think it's too demanding to run but it might be.

We got a large number of hours out of Diablo 3. Laptop might be an issue again.

You can give Wizardry Online a spin too. It's a lovely game really, but the dungeons can be run with two people so if you enjoy exploring and solving (lovely) puzzles together, the fact that you can co-op the dungeons actually makes it enjoyable. It's free so no harm done if you hate it. Since you like DDO I think you should try it.

Other options we have enjoyed in the past:

Left 4 Dead 2 (zombie smasher)
Portal 2 (co-op puzzles and hilariousness)
Company of Heroes (RTS - team up to defeat the germans. Or be the germans, whatever.)
Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light (Very clever co-op progression, and it's often overlooked)

Nighteyedie
May 30, 2011
Titan Quest is a pretty solid Diablo clone and a few years old.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I have a 4 day weekend and need a really long adventure or RPG to play. I have a PC, 360 and PS3. Suggest away. I love storyline, and prefer modern or sci fi to fantasy. Played the hell out of all the modern shooters, too. I guess what I'm saying is no JRPGs. To give an example of what I've been playing recently and loved:

Far Cry 3
Dishonored
War Thunder

turn it up TURN ME ON fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 15, 2013

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

SquadronROE posted:

I have a 4 day weekend and need a really long adventure or RPG to play. I have a PC, 360 and PS3. Suggest away. I love storyline, and prefer modern or sci fi to fantasy. Played the hell out of all the modern shooters, too.

Fallout 2/3/New Vegas?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Fallout 2/3/New Vegas?

Unfortunately, I've played through each of those twice. As well as System Shock 2 and both Bioshocks.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.
Mass Effect, possibly?

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

SquadronROE posted:

Unfortunately, I've played through each of those twice. As well as System Shock 2 and both Bioshocks.

Syndicate (the Reboot), Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Hellgate: London, Alpha Protocol?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Burning Mustache posted:

Mass Effect, possibly?
Played through that trilogy too, but it was awesome aside from 3's ending.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.
Fair enough.
I'd second the suggestion for DX:HR.

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

SquadronROE posted:

I have a 4 day weekend and need a really long adventure or RPG to play.

Uncharted series maybe?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Phetz posted:

Uncharted series maybe?

Beat 'em.

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Syndicate (the Reboot), Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Hellgate: London, Alpha Protocol?

drat, you're good. I forgot about Syndicate's reboot and Alpha Protocol. Played DX:HR and even HG:L.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

SquadronROE posted:

Sci-Fi RPGs with story

Oh hey, StarOcean: The Last Hope and Phantasy Star Universe.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Completely forgot about those too. I've always wanted to play Phantasy Star. What should I start with? 1?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

4 is the best of the bunch and doesn't really require you to know anything about the earlier ones. 1 is basically a Wizardry clone with all the things you might love or hate about an 80s first person jrpg. 2 has a neat plot hidden behind a hell of teleporter mazes. People don't really talk about 3 much, it's a bit of a departure from the rest of the series and didn't really sit well with fans.

Forgedbow
Jun 1, 2012

have a cigar
Seconding dis astranagant, you should only really mess with 1-3 if you are a fan of jrpgs in general. 4 is often considered one of the absolute best in that sub-genre, and advoids many of the pitfalls of it.

Another Sci-Fi rpg that just happens be a jrpg (western developed) is Anachronox. Combat is slow and drawn out, but the story is interesting and the writing has a quirky charm to it.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Why would anybody ever recommend Star Ocean: IV? Seriously, don't play it. The gameplay's a poor man's Tales Of, and the less said about anything that's not the gameplay the better.

Edge Maverick is unironically the best name though.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

SquadronROE posted:

I have a 4 day weekend and need a really long adventure or RPG to play. I have a PC, 360 and PS3. Suggest away. I love storyline, and prefer modern or sci fi to fantasy. Played the hell out of all the modern shooters, too. I guess what I'm saying is no JRPGs. To give an example of what I've been playing recently and loved:

Far Cry 3
Dishonored
War Thunder

If you love storyline and modern/sci fi you should try out Policenauts. Which is an old psx point and click adventure game about cops investigating crime on a giant space station. Slowbeef and some other dudes translated it a few years back and it was great. Emulated fine and avoided many adventure game pitfalls(pixel hunts or insane obscure puzzles).The release thread is back in the archives now but you should be able to google up the patched ISP they had in the thread.

If you ever liked old school adventure games you need to give it a look.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 15, 2013

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Games we loved:

Diablo II
Neverwinter Nights
Dungeon Defenders
Castle Crashers
River City Ransom
Double Dragon

2GB RAM
ATi Mobile Radeon 9700

Sacred
Dungeon Siege 1/2

Any other suggestions?

It's been a while since I played, and this is an odd suggestion - but - Freerealms is a loving blast with two people. It won't hold your interest for long, but the combat is simple hack and slash, there are fun minigames and you can play dress up. I actually enjoyed playing that game with a friend of mine for about a month.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

So I am looking for a building/management sim type game.

I love games like:
Sim City
Sim Tower
Tropico
Airway Sim (very deeply involved game where you manage an airline - not interest in Airline Tycoon series, hate it)
Towns (even though it's an unfinished pile of poo poo, the concept is there)
OpenTTD
SuperPower 2 (loved this, can't find my disc - geopolitical sim)

Upcoming games I have pre-ordered/funded:

Star Citizen
Planetary Annihilation
Starship Corporation

Basically I want something that is a building game (not like Minecraft), or a company management/logistics sim. I really like games that allow me to be creative in a sandboxy type environment.

I really like getting into the details. Multiplayer is a bonus.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
If you can get past the interface, Dwarf Fortress is pretty much the deepest management/building game you can find. The learning curve is very steep, though.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Here's a weird request: F.E.A.R. 3 might not have been all that scary but it had a highly entertaining scoring system that encouraged you to try different things during a level. Are there any other good shooter games like that? (Besides, uh, Bulletstorm, that is...)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Speedball posted:

Here's a weird request: F.E.A.R. 3 might not have been all that scary but it had a highly entertaining scoring system that encouraged you to try different things during a level. Are there any other good shooter games like that? (Besides, uh, Bulletstorm, that is...)

I never played it and I think it was a third-person manshoot, but I believe that was the idea behind The Club. I could be wrong though.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

ModeSix posted:

Basically I want something that is a building game (not like Minecraft), or a company management/logistics sim. I really like games that allow me to be creative in a sandboxy type environment.

Have you played the Anno games? Not entirely sandboxy though I guess, since the manufacturing chains are pretty linear, but making efficient use of your space takes some thought.

Or patrician if you like building up a trade empire, but the building elements are a little shallow.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

ModeSix posted:

I love games like:
Sim City
Sim Tower
Tropico
Airway Sim (very deeply involved game where you manage an airline - not interest in Airline Tycoon series, hate it)
OpenTTD

Star Citizen
Planetary Annihilation
Starship Corporation

Ceasar and Pharaoh are both amazing city-building games. Ceasar III is probably the most popular of the bunch, but I think Pharoah deserves an honourable mention because of it's absolutely epic pyramid projects.

Edit: Trade/war with other cities and appeasing crazy gods is there as well, so lots of stuff to sink your teeth into apart from the actual city building. Constructing industries and supply chains makes up a big part of the games too.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Feb 16, 2013

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
So I got Dosbox on my new Android thinking about all the cool games I could play on it a few weeks ago, problem is I can't think of anything! Daggerfall doesn't run very well on it and I already have another program for all the LucasArts adventure games. What are some fun/interesting games I could try out?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Law posted:

So I got Dosbox on my new Android thinking about all the cool games I could play on it a few weeks ago, problem is I can't think of anything! Daggerfall doesn't run very well on it and I already have another program for all the LucasArts adventure games. What are some fun/interesting games I could try out?

Blood.

Forgedbow
Jun 1, 2012

have a cigar

Law posted:

Try Betrayal at Krondor instead.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006

Law posted:

Oh, buddy...

Life & Death
Legend of Kyrandia
Skyroads
Screamer/Screamer 2
7th Guest
Phantsasmagoria
Duke Nukem/Duke Nukem 2
Monster Bash
Lemmings/Oh No, More Lemmings!/Christmas Lemmings
Terminal Velocity
Descent/Descent 2
Star Wars: X-Wing
Mechwarrior/Mechwarrior 2/Mechwarrior 2: Mercenaries (People will tell you to play Mercs, but 2 was my favorite)

I'll come back when I think of more.

:edit:

Dungeon Keeper
Syndicate
Caesar II

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ModeSix posted:

I love games like:
Sim City
Sim Tower
Tropico
OpenTTD

Star Citizen
Planetary Annihilation
Starship Corporation

As already mention, it's time for you to dive into the wonderful world of Dwarf Fortress.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/v0.31:Your_first_fortress

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
I was recently rewatching the Unreal Demo Samaritan, and was curious if there are other games like that? I like its gritty cyberpunk nature, and seeing that new CD Projekt game coming out has me hankerin for it. I've already played the DX games that are worth playing. Any suggestions?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

MadBimber posted:

I was recently rewatching the Unreal Demo Samaritan, and was curious if there are other games like that? I like its gritty cyberpunk nature, and seeing that new CD Projekt game coming out has me hankerin for it. I've already played the DX games that are worth playing. Any suggestions?

System Shock 2, maybe? The first one is probably closer to what you want, but it's a bit archaic these days.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MadBimber posted:

Oni might interest you. It's a bit dated, but it's a fun action game. Deus Ex:HR and its predecessors would probably qualify as well.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
Need a good metroidvania.

Played:
All the Metroid games
Both Mega Man ZX games
All the Castlevanias that fit that archetype
Ex Vitro
Kirby's Amazing Mirror

Aliens Infestation is one I haven't played either but I'm really not interested based on what I've learned on it. Shadow Complex looks cool but I'd prefer suggestions that aren't that since I already know that exists.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

AHungryRobot posted:

Need a good metroidvania.

Played:
All the Metroid games
Both Mega Man ZX games
All the Castlevanias that fit that archetype
Ex Vitro
Kirby's Amazing Mirror

Aliens Infestation is one I haven't played either but I'm really not interested based on what I've learned on it. Shadow Complex looks cool but I'd prefer suggestions that aren't that since I already know that exists.

Check out La Mulana. There's a free version and then a (much improved IMO) remake available on gog.com, and sometime soonish, Steam as well. I also recommend Cave Story.

If you're up for something a little more dated, there's a couple of old school nonlinear platformers out there. Maze of Galious was an MSX game with a modern port. Legacy of the Wizard is essentially fully open world with different characters to unlock different type. Then there's Clash at Demonhead, a platformer with a deceptively complex overworld traversal mechanic.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Anyone know of any good, relatively simple, point and click adventure games? Preferably something I can find on GoG or Steam? My lady friend doesn't normally play games but she seems to have taken a liking to them. Not usually my genre so I know nothing about what's good/bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Aside from Caesar 3, Europa Universalis Rome, Rome Total War and Alea Jacta Est, are there any Rome-themed games worth checking out?