Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011
Fish seems to be hardest for me to pair wine with; I end up with kind of a fishy taste in my mouth. It's hard to describe. Generally I have grilled salmon (with just some pepper to season) and steamed white rice, and have some sort of red wine. If I were to guess, I would say I'm going with something with too much tannins. It's also quite possible the fish is not being cooked well, and nothing will taste good with it.

What sort of wines should I be looking at for grilled salmon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JetSet
Jan 2, 2004
Germanologist
Pinot noir is the ideal salmon pairing.

mikeh269
Mar 26, 2007

I am the English Stereotype.
Or a white wine...

Having a tannic red wine with fish always leaves a weird fishy metallic taste in the mouth. Pinot noir is a good matching because it tends to be fairly light bodied, low in tannin and with cool climate pinot good acidity (which cuts through the fishiness - similar to squeezing over a lemon)

Equally a white wine with good acidity will do the same thing.

mikeh269 fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jan 16, 2013

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

that Vai sound posted:

Fish seems to be hardest for me to pair wine with

The suggestions for Pinot Noir with salmon are spot on, but if you ever want the greatest seafood/wine pairing, go for oysters and Sancerre. Don't like oysters? Try scallops or shrimp. It's an amazing shellfish pairing, though I've also enjoyed it with sea bass and other white-fleshed fish.

A lot of it comes down to preparation, sauces, side dishes... Fried fish & chips goes great with inexpensive sparkling wine like Cava or Prosecco. I think that Grüner Veltliner and trout go together particularly well, and a lot of squid dishes go well with crisp Italian whites like Vermentino.

For salted and pickled seafood dishes, I'd probably go with Spain. An Albariño will go along with damned near anything on a tapas bar.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

My girlfriend's roommate/bff from college lives in Lyon and is getting married in Beaune in June. So before we make the journey to Burgundy we were looking to get a few bottles under our belt. Can anyone recommend some bottles that would give us a good intro to the area?

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
I like pretty much any Italian white wine with almost all fish. The exceptions are the "red meat" fishes which do need a little something more.

Alexander the Grape
Dec 21, 2006

Ott-tocracy
Good fish and good wine can be transcendent.

Salmon loves a good Pinot Noir. I just had a nice bottle of Hirsch Vineyards estate Pinot from Sonoma Coast that was lovely... lots of boysenberry, cherry, pomegranate fruit with spice, some earthy funk, and a velvety mouthfeel. Yum! Great with well-prepared salmon.

I also really enjoy Sole with a beurre blanc sauce paired with a slightly-oaked Sauvignon Blanc, like Merry Edwards or Ojai. The neutral oak imparts a little roundness and silky texture, and the bright acid works well with both the white fish and the beurre blanc.

On another note, I'm studying Champagne in preparation for my CS exam this year. My study partner tonight is a half-bottle of Krug Grande Cuvee with the creamiest Brillat Savarin I've ever had...

Wow. Just, wow.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011
What should I look for in a good wine shop? If wine is supposed to stored in a dark, cool place, should I be worried about shops that keep wines out in full lighting and a warm room temperature? That's probably too nitpicky, but I know a beer store like that.

Anyone by chance have recommendations for shops in the Seattle/Eastside area?

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Temperature is only really important if the wines are really expensive, old, or delicate. Most stuff you are buying day to day isn't going to sit there long enough for it to be an issue. Now, if it's some place that refuses to put their A/C on and it's literally 80 or higher, then stay away. Again, light is an issue only for wines that sit in the store for a longer period of time. Although in general a retailer that puts any wine in direct sunlight is likely ignorant to the damage they can do and should maybe be avoided.

As far as the larger question on what you should look for, I'd say the #1 criteria is people. Are they friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable? If you walk up to a counter and ask where something is and someone just sort of throws a finger in the general direction, think again about shopping there. If they don't care how their wines are bought, then they certainly were careless when buying them. In general, the person you're talking to should engage your interests and not try to foist onto you whatever wine they want to push this week. It's a subjective thing, but you should feel good about talking to your wine merchant.

Second, I'd say is neatness of the store. To me this is very important, but for others less so. I don't look for a neat environment because I'm a clean freak, but I want to go in to a store and use their organization to judge their overall level of care. Even if they organize their wines in a way that doesn't appeal to me, the fact that there is a careful considered plan that has been executed well will make me feel good about shopping there.

Third, and some might argue most important, do they carry the types of wines you want to drink? If they are willing to special order them, that's great, but it's tedious and I'm sure you just really want to stop in and pick up a bottle or two. It should go without saying, but if your interests are in Italian reds, then you shouldn't be shopping at a primarily Burgundian whites store (yes, these exist).

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
So I had some inexpensive, no-name Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand and it was really crazy.
The winyesque features were okay (acidity was good) but the intensity of the smell was the taste was at a level I have rarely seen before. Both tropical and herby but almost artificial, almost no resemblance of regular white wine.
I mean if I was into this style, I would have pretty much found the deal of the century.

Is it possible they flavoured it somehow?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Nah that's pretty standard for NZ sav blanc. There's a range of yeast available for winemakers that has been specifically selected to release far more thiols (the chemicals that give sav blanc its flavour) than a normal yeast would so it's pretty easy to make an intense wine from low grade fruit. But that is available to all winemakers if they want it so I'm more inclined to think that there is something about Marlborough that lends itself to particularly intense SB.

mikeh269
Mar 26, 2007

I am the English Stereotype.

4liters posted:

Nah that's pretty standard for NZ sav blanc. There's a range of yeast available for winemakers that has been specifically selected to release far more thiols (the chemicals that give sav blanc its flavour) than a normal yeast would so it's pretty easy to make an intense wine from low grade fruit. But that is available to all winemakers if they want it so I'm more inclined to think that there is something about Marlborough that lends itself to particularly intense SB.

And if you're interested in learning a bit more about this then Jamie Goode's new book is really interesting

http://www.wineanorak.com/wineblog/sauvignon-blanc/announcing-a-new-book-the-science-of-sauvignon-blanc

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Hey guys, just need reassurance I'm not broken. I find myself vastly preferring room-temperature wines over chilled wines, even for whites. I was always told "drink reds room temperature and whites chilled" but I find a lot of the flavour seems to be dulled when chilled. Is this normal? Only happens to cheap wine (I don't have anything over $20)?

As it is I'm drinking a 2011 Monkey Bay Pinot Gris right now and I find it, well, okay. I let it chill and there's flavours but they aren't very strong. I'd still buy it if it were cheap and in fact as it warms slightly the flavours are much nicer. It kinda blows me away that it seems to get 85/100 on average where I would give it maybe 70 at most?

I have found (And this is irrelevant so you can ignore this) that the adage that the moment matters more than the wine is true. When I open any non-crap bottle when I'm happy it seems to taste much better than otherwise. I know it's all placebo but it's neat.

Anyway, I've also started picking up wine suggested here. Looking very much forward to opening the Bourillon Dorléans Vouvray. I have a rule right now that I have to buy two bottles to replace one drunk, and if one is waiting for replacement I can't drink more. It really cuts down on going through it all too quickly.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

When we're blind tasting whites we often taste them with only a light chill on them. It's true that the aromatics will get totally shut down on a really cold wine. It's also true that most whites are served well below recommended temperature. There probably isn't a wine in the world that should be served at fridge temps other than super cheap poo poo Pinot Grigio.

I will also say that there is no wine that should be served at the modern standard for room temperature. It's way too hot for reds but doubly for whites. At that temp esters seem brash and the wine gives up its alcohol to your nose too easily.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

I don't know about "probably isn't a wine in the world" - it's largely about the function the wine is filling. I regularly chill down super glou-glou reds to nearly fridge temp if they're 11% alcohol and I'm going to be sessioning all through a summer day. Or vinho verde, cheap sauvignon, pet nat, some gros plant or muscadet and oysters? Chill the gently caress out of all that, svp. That said, I totally agree that 75 degrees (or whatever room temp is) is significantly too hot for almost any wine.

HomeWrecker04
Nov 20, 2003

Alexander the Grape posted:

On another note, I'm studying Champagne in preparation for my CS exam this year. My study partner tonight is a half-bottle of Krug Grande Cuvee with the creamiest Brillat Savarin I've ever had...

Wow. Just, wow.

Just passed my CS in Austin on Sunday. Definitely a broader and more in-depth exam than I anticipated. Good luck

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002
Have any of you guys taken the advanced? I applied for April, doubt I'll get a seat for my first application but I'm studying like I will anyway.

Edit: Forgot to say congrats on passing the CS exam! Do you work on a restaurant floor?

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Congrats on your CS pass. It is indeed a more difficult test than it appears on the surface.

RE: Wine temps. Recommended fridge temp is just a shade above freezing (35 to 38F) which I think is way too cold for just about everything. Nothing breaks my heart like a good Champagne that has been sitting in an ice and water bath for awhile. For me, absolute bottom temp is probably around 45F for wines like Muscadet, Crispy Sauv Blanc, etc.

Now I realize that this is a matter of preference and likely situation. But anything below 45 or so numbs my tongue and dulls the experience for me.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
Ontariogoons: Valentine's Day is tomorrow! I think my boyfriend will be making duck, and I offered to pick up a nice bottle of wine. So, anything ~$40 I could pick up at LCBO that would pair well?

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Do you know how he is cooking it? Roasted gently caress breasts with a rosemary and Port jus will require different pairings than Peking duck with plum sauce, to make a stark contrast. White burgundy can be a good contrast to the fattiness in duck, though I tend to prefer a lighter red. Bernard Baudry Chinon would be a pretty good pairing.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

pork never goes bad posted:

gently caress breasts

Simply the best typo given the situation.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Oh gosh, I didn't even see that.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
I came across this unopened bottle of Chateau Lafite Rothschild 1950 at my Grandparents house:

Is it worth anything? Did it most likely turn into expensive vinegar? I have to think air would have gotten into it at some point.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Jubs posted:

I came across this unopened bottle of Chateau Lafite Rothschild 1950 at my Grandparents house:

Is it worth anything? Did it most likely turn into expensive vinegar? I have to think air would have gotten into it at some point.

:stare:

Well... it could be worth $2K if it was stored properly. No joke.

Where was it stored? Are there signs that any wine has leaked from the bottle? What's the fill level?

Edit: This is a hell of a thing to just come across. Are your grandparents wine drinkers?

consensual poster fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Feb 16, 2013

HomeWrecker04
Nov 20, 2003
Thanks Crimson and Overwined.

I took it not having any idea how it would go. Flew through the intro exam in 12 minutes when I took it in New Orleans in 2011. Didn't expect the CS exam to be in Texas until mid-summer, saw it online the week before and took it just to see what would happen.
I really wish I had waited until I was more prepared to take it. Knew I passed the tasting and service portions but thought it was about 50/50 chance on passing the written. Was done with all three portions by 10:45 and had to wait until 4pm for results. Hated not knowing if I passed or failed, and of course the Court of Masters has everyone who took the test in the same room while they hand out certificates to those who passed. Was definitely ready to make a quick exit like many others did.

We have another CS who did a lot to guide me in learning about wine. We have a great wine program and I've been very fortunate to have had the opportunities that I've had.

Started out waiting tables in college then went into management while finishing undergrad. I've worked at a pizza shop, a mexican place, a large high-end corporate restaurant, and now at an independent fine dining restaurant. I've got a decade in the industry. I've had wine as my job for two years now. I'm more of an operations manager then anything else. Current title is assistant wine director & service manager. I do all inventory and ordering for alcohol, most changes to our wine list, in addition to just keeping the restaurant running on a day to day basis. During service my usual role is as expo or maitre d. We're a DIRoNA, Triple A four diamond, Chaine des Rotisseurs, les amis d'escoffier restaurant.

Love the industry, never thought it would be where I made my living but met my soon to be wife in it and love the experiences and knowledge it has brought me.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

:stare:

Well... it could be worth $2K if it was stored properly. No joke.

Where was it stored? Are there signs that any wine has leaked from the bottle? What's the fill level?

Edit: This is a hell of a thing to just come across. Are your grandparents wine drinkers?

Below shoulder

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Jubs posted:

Below shoulder

Not a great sign, but in those days a lot of bottles were hand filled so it could have started life lower.

The other pending questions: has it appeared as if any wine has leaked up to the top of the cork? And can you speak to the matter in which it was stored (laying down or standing up? What general temp? Is it humid or dry? Is there a lot of vibration where it was stored? Did it get any direct sunlight?)? These are all questions people would ask if they wanted to pay you top dollar. Given the implied circumstance in which it was found, I would have to say that this is not a "prime" bottle and will fetch you little if you chose to sell it. It may, however be a shitload of fun to drink.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Here are more photos:

I'm not sure how it was stored. I'll ask my brother to make a post in this thread. He knows more about this stuff than I do.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
That's got a lot of ullage, I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002

Jubs posted:

Here are more photos:

I'm not sure how it was stored. I'll ask my brother to make a post in this thread. He knows more about this stuff than I do.

Judging from a pic is hard, but that level is WAY down, and the color looks like absolute soup. What a shame. Can you explain a little better on how they ended up having this sitting around for so long? Do they have a large wine collection? Or this is just a bottle they've been hanging onto for a "special occasion" that never happened?

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

It would be helpful to take off the capsule (the wrapper for the top of the bottle) and take a picture of the top of the cork and maybe the sides if you can see them through the glass. Some people hate to do that and if you didn't want to I'd understand. But if we can see the condition of the cork, it'd help greatly.

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I don't think the cork condition will tell you too much more than the gnarly look and low fill level already do.
I'd leave it together and sell it to a collector/(Chinese scammer looking to re-fill and bamboozle), probably net you a couple hundred still.
Or, take the high road and leave it as nifty shelf decor.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

It's really hard to judge the real color from those photos. Yes, the wine looks washed out in color, but again...really hard to see. And with hand-filling you can get some wonky fills that don't necessarily mean anything. I've had Burgundies from around that era with low fill levels that were perfect. To be honest, though, none were that far below the shoulder.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
I can't tell from the pictures, but can you see any sediment? When you tilt it can you see a thin black layer caked to one side or a thicker black layer at the bottom? A flashlight will help with this, and it will let you know in which orientation it spent most of its life. Additionally, if/when you decide to open it you're going to need to decant it or be willing to sacrifice the last few ounces.

If it turns out the stuff is terrible, you can save the bottle and cork and refill it with cheap Bordeaux. Impress a series of first dates with the casual opening of a sixty year old wine. (I kid, I kid, but like CleverHans mentioned if you sell the empty bottle on eBay it's going to be used to defraud a novice collector or drunk restaurant goer somewhere down the line. Better to keep it around as a nice decoration.)

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Yes and when people ask you why you don't drink it, put on your monocle and say in your most aristocratic British accent, "A First Growth Claret less than a hundred years old?!? Infanticide!!"

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002

benito posted:

I can't tell from the pictures, but can you see any sediment? When you tilt it can you see a thin black layer caked to one side or a thicker black layer at the bottom? A flashlight will help with this, and it will let you know in which orientation it spent most of its life. Additionally, if/when you decide to open it you're going to need to decant it or be willing to sacrifice the last few ounces.

If it turns out the stuff is terrible, you can save the bottle and cork and refill it with cheap Bordeaux. Impress a series of first dates with the casual opening of a sixty year old wine. (I kid, I kid, but like CleverHans mentioned if you sell the empty bottle on eBay it's going to be used to defraud a novice collector or drunk restaurant goer somewhere down the line. Better to keep it around as a nice decoration.)

Who would buy the empty bottle is my question. If there's a market for empty bottles of expensive wine I'm gonna be rich. This is from just tonight. Not pictured is 02 DRC Vosne Romanee 1er Cru Duvault Blochet and 99 Chateau Lafleur.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Crimson fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Feb 19, 2013

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
drat Crimson.... ballin' outta control

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

Ha...clarification, sold at my restaurant. I am not a baller.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Crimson posted:

Who would buy the empty bottle is my question. If there's a market for empty bottles of expensive wine I'm gonna be rich. This is from just tonight. Not pictured is 02 DRC Vosne Romanee 1er Cru Duvault Blochet and 99 Chateau Lafleur.

There's a story on the Freakonomics blog about it with some links to actual studies of the phenomenon. A quick glance shows that somebody paid $125 for an empty bottle of Burgundy. The Telegraph newspaper reported on the trade in empty bottles of famous French vintages in China.

If someone had a flexible moral compass and access to great bottles (I'm thinking a sommelier* with gambling debts or something) it could be possible to make some quick cash. Given this type of fraud and other scandals, I don't know if I'd ever have the stomach for the auction side of the wine world.

*Edit: Just saw that you work in a restaurant. This was not meant to imply you would do such a thing or have gambling debts. Just a hypothetical situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

Can't be ballin' without no Dujac. :colbert: