Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KarmaticStylee
Apr 21, 2007

Aaaaaughibbrgubugbugrguburgle!
Is anti malware recommended for OSX?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

KarmaticStylee posted:

In general, no.

The exception is for scanning e-mails and such for viruses that could be passed on to Windows users you're in contact with. For the protection of your own computer, anti-virus software on OS X is completely unnecessary.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
I would keep up with updates to stuff and use Chrome or use Safari with Java disabled (if installed).

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

There's an 11th seed of 10.8.3 for developers today.

Apple's just loving with us now.

I know, I want the final 10.8.3 released because I am imaging a ton of iMacs and it is a pain they are out of delta sync compared to other Macs.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Looking to mass rename a ton of files within a folder in OSX.

They're all named with random numbers.

Example:
3422 - Filename1.ext
9483 - Filename2.ext
8472 - Filename3.ext

I'd essentially like to remove the first six characters so they look like this:
Filename1.ext
Filename2.ext
Filename3.ext

I tried poking around with automator but failed. Pretty sure this can be done in terminal but my scripting skill suck. Can anyone help me out?

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

KarmaticStylee posted:

Read up before you decide on one if you do install one. There's a couple pieces of software that are supposed to protect you (forget the names) that are actually malware themselves.

One of the biggest ones I use is virus barrier x6, it's a combined firewall and virus protection suite. The firewall is good, just make you turn sounds off in preferences because nothing is shitter than waking up halfway through the night to a stupid firewall notification.

If you google around, it's also one of the 3 most effective. It picked up 70-85% of viruses, other packages picked up far lower. I've been using it for years, they just updated it and call it something else now. I think it's called "mac security bundle 2013."

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

lol internet. posted:

Example:
3422 - Filename1.ext
9483 - Filename2.ext
8472 - Filename3.ext

Filename1.ext
Filename2.ext
Filename3.ext

I tried poking around with automator but failed. Pretty sure this can be done in terminal but my scripting skill suck. Can anyone help me out?

Name Mangler is useful for this sort of thing, unless you want to learn some UNIX:
http://manytricks.com/namemangler/

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

lol internet. posted:

Example:
3422 - Filename1.ext
9483 - Filename2.ext
8472 - Filename3.ext

Filename1.ext
Filename2.ext
Filename3.ext

This isn't very elegant but it should work:
code:
for f in *.ext; do newname=$(echo "$f" | sed 's/^[0-9 ]*\ \-\ //'); mv "$f" "$newname"; done
Just cd to the relevant directory and change the *.ext at the beginning to the correct file extension before you run it.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007

Lawen posted:

This isn't very elegant but it should work:
code:
for f in *.ext; do newname=$(echo "$f" | sed 's/^[0-9 ]*\ \-\ //'); mv "$f" "$newname"; done
Just cd to the relevant directory and change the *.ext at the beginning to the correct file extension before you run it.

I pasted it into terminal and with the .ext changed to the proper extension.

It just automatically returns this on the prompt.

code:
>
I guess it's expecting input from me? Do I need to be superuser or anything to run this?

edit: ignore me. I never put 'done' in it as well.

Thanks Lawen! I been scratching my head with this all weekend. My scripting\bash skills are pretty weak.

edit: if you don't mind me asking how long have you been doing scripting? I assume you work in IT?

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Feb 18, 2013

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
Not that it would have necessarily helped in this case (because gently caress sed's syntax), but I've heard good things about this book for people who are interested in starting to use the Terminal and UNIX:
http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920025870.do

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

awk is "cleaner" code but I learned sed first and prefer the complicated code (it's easier to write than read :ssh:).

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

lol internet. posted:

edit: if you don't mind me asking how long have you been doing scripting? I assume you work in IT?

I've been doing unix admin stuff for 12+ years and spend most of my day in a terminal. Most of that one-liner was just a little bash shell "for" loop, the sed stuff in the middle is the tricky bit but once you figure out regular expressions it's not as intimidating. That book that Sonic Dude linked looks good, I also really like the O'Reilly "Learning the BASH Shell" book (and the "BASH Cookbook" for reference). Once you feel comfortable navigating around the shell, start reading up on doing BASH for and while loops and if/else/elif conditionals. Then grep (or ack), and sed/awk/regular expressions. Once you have a handle on those, you can do all sorts of crazy poo poo from the command line.

If you use GeekTool, a bunch of the geeklets are just shell scripts; you can tear them apart to see how they work and steal snippets from them. Might be a good way to get your feet wet.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
Problem with me is I normally work in a windows environment. I only once worked at an animation company that was all unix backend and windows for the workstations.

It's been hit or miss for me. If I've ever been put in a situation where I needed to learn it\work with unix stuff, I would most likely learn it. Problem is most places aren't willing to train or wait for you to pick it up so I the chance would have to come by luck.

I like automation of work. I find it one of the most rewarding things in IT personally. Perhaps in the future!

Thanks for the help by the way.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

PowerShell is useful in Windows if you still need to automate things.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There's something suss going on with Java on my Mac, I know there were issues recently but presumed the throwswitch Apple threw dealt with them.

In Activity Monitor, I can see Java is launched and using a chunk of CPU, half a gig of RAM and is constantly sending data pretty much as fast as the connection will let it. If I kill the process, everything stabilises but a few seconds later it relaunches and the same happens again.

Anyone know of any exploit that's going around that's causing this? I've got Java disabled in Safari already, but maybe I need to vanquish the damned thing from my system altogether. Does anything *really* need it anymore?

(I'm still bitter from a programming class where we used Java and it took me multiple hours of debugging to spot I'd capitalised the 'i' in 'if'. gently caress Java.)

e: worked it out, new DV files I'd added to the system over the weekend were causing crash plan to skitz out and try to upload 100gb of data. All the upstream use was killing my connection, so time to disable that.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 18, 2013

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Does anyone use Slate as a Window manager?

http://mauriciogardini.com/post/43348489262/slate-a-mac-os-x-window-manager-for-power-users

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
I have an issue with this popping up constantly:

I've tried almost everything, disk repair/permissions, keychain first aid, clearing system/user cache, etc. I haven't changed my password recently and I have no idea what triggered this. Any advice before I spend the next few hours reinstalling OSX?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

NOTinuyasha posted:

I've tried almost everything, disk repair/permissions, keychain first aid, clearing system/user cache, etc. I haven't changed my password recently and I have no idea what triggered this. Any advice before I spend the next few hours reinstalling OSX?

Delete the keychain from keychain manager and start a new one.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I got Divvy in some Mac App Bundle a year or two ago and have been using it ever since, it's pretty great if you want a GUI way of doing most of the stuff that Slate does without having to mess with rc and config files. It's $15 though on the App Store unless you can catch it on sale.

I hadn't heard of Slate, it looks pretty rad. Too bad there's not a homebrew keg for it. Going to download it and play around some to see if I like it better than Divvy.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

NOTinuyasha posted:

Open Keychain Access, have the login keychain selected, Go to File > Unlock 'login' keychain

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it
ok - I am REALLY frustrated in trying to get rid of folding at home. I deleted their folder (and the supposed directory ) of the CPU sucking FAHcorea4 application in Library/ Application support but somehow this program keeps running despite me having deleted it a long time ago. I also cannot access the ~/usr directory, even though that is supposedly where the client is. I tried looking on their website, but their instructions for uninstalling folding@home refer to what might have been an older version. I can't seem to get rid of this piece of poo poo. Any help ?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Kommienzuspadt posted:

ok - I am REALLY frustrated in trying to get rid of folding at home. I deleted their folder (and the supposed directory ) of the CPU sucking FAHcorea4 application in Library/ Application support but somehow this program keeps running despite me having deleted it a long time ago. I also cannot access the ~/usr directory, even though that is supposedly where the client is. I tried looking on their website, but their instructions for uninstalling folding@home refer to what might have been an older version. I can't seem to get rid of this piece of poo poo. Any help ?

Shot in the dark, but have you checked to see if /usr exists?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Someone mentioned it being awesome if you take the time to set it up, but looking at it I imagine it'd make me go crazy after a while. I still use Moom which I got many mooms moons ago.

vikingstrike posted:

Shot in the dark, but have you checked to see if /usr exists?
Yeah I'd guess it's /usr rather than a usr folder in your user folder.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

I got a new SSD for my macbook, and it's slowly downloading OSX from the internet.
I'm afraid of it losing connection or something, is there any other way to like, put the entire installer on a flash drive?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

SRQ posted:

I got a new SSD for my macbook, and it's slowly downloading OSX from the internet.
I'm afraid of it losing connection or something, is there any other way to like, put the entire installer on a flash drive?

Yea, just download it from the app store (from a Lion machine) and you can put it on a USB stick (8GB or bigger)

http://osxdaily.com/2012/02/17/make-bootable-os-x-10-8-mountain-lion-usb-install-drive/

Hefty
Jun 11, 2008

SRQ posted:

I was under the impression that you couldn't swap out the ssd on a macbook because of this line from their website: "Please note that the flash storage is built into the computer, so if you think you may need more storage capacity in the future, it is important to upgrade at the time of purchase."

Is that just bullshit, or what?

vvv Ahh, those were the only two I looked at so I thought it applied to all of them.

Hefty fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Feb 19, 2013

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
That's true for MacBook Airs and Retina MacBook Pros.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Hefty posted:

I was under the impression that you couldn't swap out the ssd on a macbook because of this line from their website: "Please note that the flash storage is built into the computer, so if you think you may need more storage capacity in the future, it is important to upgrade at the time of purchase."

Is that just bullshit, or what?

vvv Ahh, those were the only two I looked at so I thought it applied to all of them.

You can buy aftermarket replacements for the Retina and the Air from https://www.macsales.com

But the RAM is soldered on to the motherboard and can't be upgraded.

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.
This is driving me nucking futs. ;)

I have selected all of the files (using Command-A) in my Downloads directory, as per this screenshot.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/92027174/Screen%20Shot%202013-02-18%20at%207.46.39%20PM.JPG

All I want to do is deselect the Resume – binarysmurf document. I have read online that if I Command-click on the file it will deselect. This is not working.

---

I later found out that Command-SHIFT-Click will work. I then did some further investigation, because I've also found out that ctrl-F8 should switch focus to the menu bar, and that doesn't work. Ctrl-fn-F8 does, however.

Is there an obscure keyboard setting that I'm missing? These qualifier keys (SHIFT and Fn, in this case) seem a bit extraneous.

I'm running 10.8.2 on a 2012 iMac.

KarmaticStylee
Apr 21, 2007

Aaaaaughibbrgubugbugrguburgle!
'Things' looks like a really nice way to track my personal projects' tasks but damnit why so expensive?! It does not seem like an app that should go for more than $10

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
Edit: I'm dumb sorry

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

KarmaticStylee posted:

'Things' looks like a really nice way to track my personal projects' tasks but damnit why so expensive?! It does not seem like an app that should go for more than $10

Hi let me introduce you to Omnifocus: 79 bucks for PC, plus 20 bucks for iPhone, plus 40 bucks for iPad.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

horse mans posted:

Hi let me introduce you to Omnifocus: 79 bucks for PC, plus 20 bucks for iPhone, plus 40 bucks for iPad.

OmniFocus is loving amazing, but the lack of a cross-platform entry method REALLY kills it for me. It shouldn't, but it does. I am thinking of switching to Asana, but I don't like the idea of having to keep a web browser open to throw something into my inbox, though they have a web API that I'm writing an input menubar app for.

Evernote is also a decent solution, though getting it working like OmniFocus is a bit of a pain.

In my experience, OmniFocus was definitely worth the money I paid for it, on all platforms. It helped me organize my poo poo like never before, but to be fair I could probably have done it for a lot less money.

Wheel! Of! 4chan!
Nov 28, 2007
The voice is white, erasing mine

NOTinuyasha posted:

Before deleting anything, try opening Keychain Access, right-clicking your login keychain, selecting change settings and make sure neither option is selected:

Wheel! Of! 4chan! fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Feb 19, 2013

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

Martytoof posted:

OmniFocus is loving amazing, but the lack of a cross-platform entry method REALLY kills it for me.

Have you tried their new maildrop feature? While it won't get you Omnifocus on a PC, it will help you add inbox items while you're on a PC.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Martytoof posted:

OmniFocus is loving amazing, but the lack of a cross-platform entry method REALLY kills it for me. It shouldn't, but it does. I am thinking of switching to Asana, but I don't like the idea of having to keep a web browser open to throw something into my inbox, though they have a web API that I'm writing an input menubar app for.

Evernote is also a decent solution, though getting it working like OmniFocus is a bit of a pain.

In my experience, OmniFocus was definitely worth the money I paid for it, on all platforms. It helped me organize my poo poo like never before, but to be fair I could probably have done it for a lot less money.

You don't really need it to work on all platforms. You just need some cross-platform inbox, like email or a text file in Dropbox, and a task, in OmniFocus, to process that inbox at a reasonable interval.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, I've been using the maildrop thing but horse mans is absolutely right, I just need a cross-platform input box. The mail thing is cool, but I like just hitting ctrl-opt-cmd-space to pop up my inbox and throw a quick thing in there. I don't really want to bother opening my email and composing a new thing in the middle of a thought. At that point I might as well just pull out my phone and do it on the iphone app.

The dropbox idea is actually kind of cool. A folder action that would poll for changes to omnifocus.txt and then run an applescript to insert something into the database. Would be pretty easy to hack together an app that would run on Windows and Linux to add things to the DB. Thanks for the idea :)

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Martytoof posted:

Yeah, I've been using the maildrop thing but horse mans is absolutely right, I just need a cross-platform input box. The mail thing is cool, but I like just hitting ctrl-opt-cmd-space to pop up my inbox and throw a quick thing in there. I don't really want to bother opening my email and composing a new thing in the middle of a thought. At that point I might as well just pull out my phone and do it on the iphone app.

The dropbox idea is actually kind of cool. A folder action that would poll for changes to omnifocus.txt and then run an applescript to insert something into the database. Would be pretty easy to hack together an app that would run on Windows and Linux to add things to the DB. Thanks for the idea :)

No problem. I like fielding questions about productivity. Motivates me to get off my rear end and write an OP about Getting Things Done.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I'm a big fan of Remember the Milk for task management and run it in a Fluid.app instance on OS X for a pseudo-dedicated app. They have apps for iOS, Android, and Blackberry that are much cleaner on mobile devices than the web app but you have to upgrade to Pro ($50/year I think) to get full push notifications and insta-synching. I've been Pro for a year or two and think it's totally worth it. There's also a ruby gem (rumember) that lets you interface with RtM via the terminal, and you can use that as an Alfred extension to create new tasks via Alfred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Don Lapre posted:

Delete the keychain from keychain manager and start a new one.

Did this and I think it fixed it.

So now Safari is hiding the full URL in the address bar (only shows domain, if I select it the entire URL shows up), totally random. I've been googling for fifteen minutes and I can't figure out how to fix it.

Edit: Reboot fixed it?

NOTinuyasha fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Feb 19, 2013