Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

McMadCow posted:

I think this model was the last shoot I'm going to do in this particular project. I have one more scene in the works, but that's going to be a much more elaborate staging. I like what I got out of it but I think I want to figure out something different now.

Move this Way by McMadCow, on Flickr

Michal by McMadCow, on Flickr

I have to agree with everyone about these. This is my favorite model so far and I love the color shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
Thanks everyone for your input on these. That guy was a really awesome model, and I'm happy with how they turned out, but like I said I pretty much explored this part of the project as much as I'm interested. These are the last two cuts from the guy. Next time I post a portrait it will likely be something different.

Michal in Surbiton by McMadCow, on Flickr

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4
I think you should stick with it a bit, personally. You have the germ of a brilliant idea here. The first one with the hands creeping in from behind is excellent. That and the first B&W one on the previous page with the same model. These are the ones that "work" for me. I like the ones with the hands just coming in from the side, but abstracting things a touch further by adding a spot of mystery or emotion (like the hand oppressively clasped over the face of the female model and the hands out of nowhere element here) adds that extra piece and completes the puzzle. I think you should keep on with this, because it's a pretty cool series that you can create a fairly topical subtext to run alongside it, something about fashion and posing and the perfection and inherent lies in a photograph.

Just my two cents, but I wouldn't throw this project away too readily.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
I'm a big fan of that series, especially that last model, but I'm also excited for what you've got coming next, McMadCow. It's always very inspiring and makes me want to push myself out of my commercial box. Which hasn't really happened yet...

Speaking of which, I pulled out this old photo and practiced my editing skills. I wanted to keep everything really natural looking and I've been relying on actions lately so I wanted to start from scratch. I got a little sloppy on her left shoulder, but I'm sick and :effort:

Thoughts?

b_a_april2012 by Breanne Unger, on Flickr

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

CarrotFlowers posted:

I'm a big fan of that series, especially that last model, but I'm also excited for what you've got coming next, McMadCow. It's always very inspiring and makes me want to push myself out of my commercial box. Which hasn't really happened yet...

Speaking of which, I pulled out this old photo and practiced my editing skills. I wanted to keep everything really natural looking and I've been relying on actions lately so I wanted to start from scratch. I got a little sloppy on her left shoulder, but I'm sick and :effort:

Thoughts?

I like the one on the left; the right one looks too shopped.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

Dominoes posted:

I like the one on the left; the right one looks too shopped.

What about it makes it look too photoshopped? The left one is straight out of camera.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

CarrotFlowers posted:

What about it makes it look too photoshopped? The left one is straight out of camera.
The uniformity of the subject's skin and lips, and brightness of her iris.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

CarrotFlowers posted:

Thoughts?

I like the edit. The eyes are brighter, skin is smoother, hair is better too. I didn't see a difference in the lips - you can edit them a bit (or not, I've seen lots of fashion retouchers edit the lips all the time). The only thing I noticed is that her face now glows brighter than her chest area, which is not too big a deal. That is easily fixable with lighting though. Good job.

bobmarleysghost fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Feb 3, 2013

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

CarrotFlowers posted:

What makes it look photoshopped is that it's next to the unedited version. That's always the tricky thing about showing before/afters is that photoshop has a negative connotation to most people and mentioning it can bias people against an image. I remember a pro retoucher posted in a thread a while back and got run off because the forum consensus at the time was way waste more than 5 minutes editing skin on an image.

I think it's a super good edit.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

RangerScum posted:

Shot some promo photos over the weekend. It was a fun style to work in, though the space that I had to shoot them in was loving terrible. Background needs a bit more work for one spot on one of the photos at least, but I'm sure there are other areas that I haven't noticed yet.

Untitled by Myotomy, on Flickr

The first one here looks the best overall IMO. The edges of her arms look weird in the second one, maybe you brushed over them while touching up the background? The third is kinda ruined for me by the unlit cigarette. I feel like with this kind of look you're skirting the edge of campy parody at the best of times, and something obvious like that completely breaks the suspension of disbelief for me. The fourth is hilarious and his expression is perfect, great job. Final slight nitpick; in the second and fourth pictures their left cheeks both have a slight glow where I guess the backdrop was a bit brightly lit.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

Dominoes posted:

The uniformity of the subject's skin and lips, and brightness of her iris.

I did brighten her eyes a bit, but clearing up the blemishes (what little there are, she has great skin) and evening out her skin tone was part of the editing I was working on. I wanted it to be in a typical beauty shot style, which I understand not everyone agrees with, but it was good practice.

Santa is strapped posted:

I like the edit. The eyes are brighter, skin is smoother, hair is better too. I didn't see a difference in the lips - you can edit them a bit (or not, I've seen lots of fashion retouchers edit the lips all the time). The only thing I noticed is that her face now glows brighter than her chest area, which is not too big a deal. That is easily fixable with lighting though. Good job.

Thanks! I did touch up her lips a tad, just smoothed the colour out a bit. I didn't notice her face being brighter than her chest, though I do now. I'll watch out for it in the future.

Paragon8 posted:

What makes it look photoshopped is that it's next to the unedited version. That's always the tricky thing about showing before/afters is that photoshop has a negative connotation to most people and mentioning it can bias people against an image. I remember a pro retoucher posted in a thread a while back and got run off because the forum consensus at the time was way waste more than 5 minutes editing skin on an image.

I think it's a super good edit.

Thanks, man. I was wondering if the unedited version beside it might have an impact on how much work was put into it, but I wanted to show it for comparison to see if I was on the right track. I posted the edited version on facebook and it's one of my most popular shots. I think the photo itself is kinda meh, but it was a good one for practicing on.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

big scary monsters posted:

The first one here looks the best overall IMO. The edges of her arms look weird in the second one, maybe you brushed over them while touching up the background? The third is kinda ruined for me by the unlit cigarette. I feel like with this kind of look you're skirting the edge of campy parody at the best of times, and something obvious like that completely breaks the suspension of disbelief for me. The fourth is hilarious and his expression is perfect, great job. Final slight nitpick; in the second and fourth pictures their left cheeks both have a slight glow where I guess the backdrop was a bit brightly lit.

They were promo photos for a themed cover band, so campy parody was the actual goal... glad to hear it comes off that way. :)

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
In that case, nicely done!

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

McMadCow posted:

Thanks everyone for your input on these. That guy was a really awesome model, and I'm happy with how they turned out, but like I said I pretty much explored this part of the project as much as I'm interested. These are the last two cuts from the guy. Next time I post a portrait it will likely be something different.

Michal in Surbiton by McMadCow, on Flickr

This model is fantastic. All your shots of him remind me of this.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

aliencowboy posted:

This model is fantastic. All your shots of him remind me of this.

It's funny you should mention that. I didn't mention Kraftwerk, but when I was talking to him about wardrobe, I sent him a bunch of pictures of Gary Numan from his Tubeway Army days. Same sort of scene, so that was very intentional. That guy was an awesome model and I'm already planning on getting him back for my next project.

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uu6MDdxBork

McMadCow fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Feb 5, 2013

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Untitled by xxyzx road, on Flickr

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

have you tried testing agency models yet?

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Paragon8 posted:

have you tried testing agency models yet?

I've shot some agency models from minor agencies. I'm working on getting my book together to test with some of the bigger agencies.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

TheAngryDrunk posted:

I've shot some agency models from minor agencies. I'm working on getting my book together to test with some of the bigger agencies.

just email 'em. I'm sure wilhemina would love your stuff. I'd just maybe pull down the processing a bit so they know they're getting some standardy shots.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Paragon8 posted:

just email 'em. I'm sure wilhemina would love your stuff. I'd just maybe pull down the processing a bit so they know they're getting some standardy shots.

Yeah, most of the stuff I post in here is for artistic purposes. I do regular commercial shots, too. I'm shooting a former Ford model this saturday. She's freelance now. I live in LA, so I have pretty good luck on Model Mayhem. But yeah, agency models are definitely a higher caliber.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Yeah, most of the stuff I post in here is for artistic purposes. I do regular commercial shots, too. I'm shooting a former Ford model this saturday. She's freelance now. I live in LA, so I have pretty good luck on Model Mayhem. But yeah, agency models are definitely a higher caliber.

Interesting, MM is terrible in London because there are so many agencies here that anyone worthwhile basically already has representation. haha.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

I think this shot is great. The expression and hair are fantastic. But if you're trying to be flattering (which you very well may not be, in which case ignore me), you might want to know that my first thought was "really hairy arms."

Tetrad
Nov 3, 2002
Simple black and white

Brittnee Hollenbach by tetradtx, on Flickr

wanghammer
Mar 24, 2001
DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH COCK I HAD TO SUCK TO GET THIS CUSTOM TITLE? A LOT!
Here's a photo of my son Milo from back in September. Straight out of camera.. I can't decide if I want to do anything else to it. Maybe a bit too much negative space on the left.

IMG_4562 by bighoits, on Flickr

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

wanghammer posted:

Here's a photo of my son Milo from back in September. Straight out of camera.. I can't decide if I want to do anything else to it. Maybe a bit too much negative space on the left.

IMG_4562 by bighoits, on Flickr

I think it's good the way it is. Good contrasting colors and shallow depth draw your eyes right to him.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
A friend of mine went and spend months and months traveling around the far east. On his return, I decided to take a couple of shots playing with the idea of dragging him back home.

we lost this guy for a little while... by thetzar, on Flickr

...but we got him back by thetzar, on Flickr

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Really cool! ^ Love the second one.

Amanda at Linda Vista Hospital by xxyzx road, on Flickr

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
This question is to anyone who does a lot of indoor studio work. Chromakey backgrounds. Are they useful? The place I work for doesn't have them but I always get clients who tell me how cool they are and how convenient it is to take a favorite photo, then pick a favorite background without having to compromise.

Along those lines. How easy is it to make virtual backgrounds for them? I'm guessing you just take a picture of a background (brickwall, wallpaper, a defined wallspace) with the same light and camera setup?

Edit: I also don't say this enough but the work I see in this thread is regularly better than mine. Great stuff. Very inspiring.

rcman50166 fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Feb 11, 2013

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Amanda on the roof by xxyzx road, on Flickr

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

thetzar posted:

A friend of mine went and spend months and months traveling around the far east. On his return, I decided to take a couple of shots playing with the idea of dragging him back home.

we lost this guy for a little while... by thetzar, on Flickr

...but we got him back by thetzar, on Flickr

I like these two together. Reminds me of what I did last week. This is my friend who started his own DIY bio lab, where he shares a space with others who experiment in biology as a hobby separate from their day jobs. I did some PR shots for him but also did some more moody shots.

Jameson by AIIAZNSK8ER, on Flickr

edit: That last one looks much darker on this monitor than when I edited it.

AIIAZNSK8ER fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 18, 2013

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
That's my purse! I don't know you!

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

edit: That last one looks much darker on this monitor than when I edited it.

Would recommend shopping out the wall corner off his head in the first photo and the vignette in the second. I'm not quite sure how I feel about the third but on first glance it looks cool.

Very fun second photo, would recommend having him take off glasses or pop the glasses out the frame to avoid the break in his face.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
A friend of mine and I just rented a studio space. It's an old abandoned warehouse that's been divied up. I'm the only photographer there, the rest are painters, sculpters, welders etc. Our space is 3mx6m. There is no ceiling over our "cubicle" which means the light from the skylights gets in and changes with the movement of the sun.

We're going to board it up so we can make it (almost) lightproof. Anyway...

That's one many test shots I fired after first getting my lighting equipment. I had a 580exII in a softbox to the right of subject, about 1 foot away, and a 430exII in a reflective/dual use umbrella to the left to light up the background. I'm really new to portraiture and have no real solid experience in it. When we can make this studio lightproof we also have the (dis?)advantage of a flourescent light tube directly above roughly where my friend is sitting. I know I need something to light up his hair. The only problem I'm running into at the moment is; operating at smaller apertures means the backdrop is going to show its creases. I tried bringing him further away from the background but our space is pretty small so it's not like I can go waaaaay back or anything. I'm guessing photoshop is the only way I can really blend out those lines from the background (or take an iron and iron the drat thing?)?

ALso I'm thinking of getting some kind of reflector to bounce some light back up onto his face. This was our first day out there so go easy on me, and I have no experience in shooting portraiture setting whatsoever... any pointers would be greatly appreciated. I was playing through all my aperture settings and the biggest stinker was the background.

This pic was

50mm
f/9.0
1/200
ISO 50

I have:

5D mkII
85mm 1.2 LII USM
50mm 1.2 L USM
24mm 1.4 LII USM - This I was really hoping I could use but the space is really small.

Any tips or help you could give me would be greatly appreciated!

(dont mind the sheen, it is loving hot here in melbourne and we were sweating like pigs)

e: also, I have a black backdrop as well, but didn't want to use it until we could lightprroof the space

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Feb 18, 2013

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Are you sure you're not overpowering the skylight already? F/9 ISO 50 and 1/200 seems pretty dark for indoors. I would think that kills the skylight, but maybe not.

You should have no problems overpowering the fluorescent lights, so I wouldn't worry about that.

As for backdrops, get some paper or one of those backdrops that fold up like a reflector.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Are you sure you're not overpowering the skylight already? F/9 ISO 50 and 1/200 seems pretty dark for indoors. I would think that kills the skylight, but maybe not.

You should have no problems overpowering the fluorescent lights, so I wouldn't worry about that.

As for backdrops, get some paper or one of those backdrops that fold up like a reflector.

You can gel your lights to match the fluorescent, it fucks a little bit with colour temp. I would also recommend getting paper instead, cloth is a bitch. You should steam it if possible until then or just blast it with light to overexpose it.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Oprah Haza posted:

You can gel your lights to match the fluorescent, it fucks a little bit with colour temp. I would also recommend getting paper instead, cloth is a bitch. You should steam it if possible until then or just blast it with light to overexpose it.

You CAN get your lights to match the fluorescent (look at Rosco's Plusgreen gels), but honestly it's a pain in the rear end and not worth it, you're better off just overpowering the ambient with flash.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Sludge Tank posted:

There is no ceiling over our "cubicle" which means the light from the skylights gets in and changes with the movement of the sun.

We're going to board it up so we can make it (almost) lightproof. Anyway...

Why? If you have a natural skylight, I would work it to death using reflectors. It looks great and isn't a pain in the rear end.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Why? If you have a natural skylight, I would work it to death using reflectors. It looks great and isn't a pain in the rear end.

Listen to this man.

Skylight with no reflectors.

Tamron 17-50 2.8 first shot by natebol, on Flickr

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Thanks. Thing is, I also want to play around a lot with a black backdrop and have 'darker' settings, so being able to completely block out & control the light would be great. The photo I posted was actually taken around 8pm after the sun had gone down and most of the ambient light was gone.

drat I wish I'd gone for paper backing, my mate actuallly suggested it to me as well. he said his sister has some and it works well. Oh well live & learn.

I thought about blasting it with light as suggested but will this have a negative impact on the subject like adding nasty halos or anything?

thanks again for tips so far.

e: any post-prod tips you could offer would be appreciated. The above pic has more or less nothing done to it except I changed the colour temp in RAW.

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Feb 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

Sludge Tank posted:

Thanks. Thing is, I also want to play around a lot with a black backdrop and have 'darker' settings, so being able to completely block out & control the light would be great. The photo I posted was actually taken around 8pm after the sun had gone down and most of the ambient light was gone.

drat I wish I'd gone for paper backing, my mate actuallly suggested it to me as well. he said his sister has some and it works well. Oh well live & learn.

I thought about blasting it with light as suggested but will this have a negative impact on the subject like adding nasty halos or anything?

thanks again for tips so far.

e: any post-prod tips you could offer would be appreciated. The above pic has more or less nothing done to it except I changed the colour temp in RAW.

If you blast that background with light from behind it will be fine (no halos). You could do a curves or exposure mask of the background and whiten it then do less touchup of creases if they are still there.

Here is a SUPER QUICK very rough example. I did a curves layer on the bg, duplicated it then fiddled with opacity, then went ahead and curved the model as well. Took like 2 minutes including uploading. I'm sure you could do better if you took your time.

Anyway, the point is to shoot on paper.

Edit: I couldn't resist.

Oprah Haza fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Feb 18, 2013