Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Cojawfee posted:

I have to wonder how long tgus will last if all it does is copy old top gear challenges. It's entertaining and all, but top gear is also about car reviews.
TGUS is funded by advertising. Which unfortunately means they'd be unable to give any meaningful car reviews anyhow without risking their ad revenue. Sticking just to segments actually seems like a wise move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeesh, if people are so into vanilla car reviews get the DVDs Clarkson and TG put out every year. They're basically 2 hour long TG shows with only reviews and very little stunts/competitions/etc.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

FogHelmut posted:

TGUS might have time to review cars if they didn't spend 30 seconds before and after each commercial break telling us what just happened and what we are going to see next.

God that drives me crazy. So unnecessary.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

mod sassinator posted:

Yeesh, if people are so into vanilla car reviews get the DVDs Clarkson and TG put out every year. They're basically 2 hour long TG shows with only reviews and very little stunts/competitions/etc.

Except for all the crashing cars into each other, driving 911s into concrete structures, and blowing things up, there are indeed no stunts on any Clarkson DVDs.

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.

opengl128 posted:

It's a requirement for all shows on History. Gangland push that to an art form with only one or 2 new sentences between the post commercial break recap and the pre commercial break recap.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

opengl128 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MFtl2XXnUc

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

CornHolio posted:

I enjoyed it as well. The Honda was amazing.

I like the format a lot better than the old one. It seems to suit them better. And I'll defend Adam being on the show. His choices are always really, really ridiculous. You an always expect Tanner to have a sports car of some sort, and Rutledge to have a Volkswagen (the van a couple of weeks ago in Mexico was amazing. I told my wife he'd have an old VW of some sort, but I had no idea how right I'd be..) but with Adam all you know is that it's going to be big, old, and American. And therefore completely terrible at whatever challenge they're going to do.

The bit at the end is usually passable as a review. Not always, but I'm fine letting TGUK do the reviews and TGUS cock about more. There are only so many reviews of the FR-S I can watch before I get bored.
I've always had a fascination with the massive old American cars so it doesn't get old for me, particularly as they become increasingly poor choices for whatever challenges they have. That said I wouldn't mind seeing them mix it up, like show up with the cars, then the first instruction would be to switch Tanner into Adam's car, Rut into Tanner's, Adam into Rut's.

a radii hike posted:

I wish they weren't against each other all the time, there occasionally needs to be a Them vs. The World kind of challenge to break up the monotony and maybe attempt to build some chemistry.
I think the old truck challenge was probably the best one as far as that theme, even if it was posed as a competition. I guess do more "dump them in cars in remote locales" type of thing. I was thinking maybe do the long distance car vs [other transport] thing, but I have no clue if that'd be viable in the US. Keep Tanner driving and keep the others doing...stuff other than driving.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

japtor posted:

I've always had a fascination with the massive old American cars so it doesn't get old for me, particularly as they become increasingly poor choices for whatever challenges they have. That said I wouldn't mind seeing them mix it up, like show up with the cars, then the first instruction would be to switch Tanner into Adam's car, Rut into Tanner's, Adam into Rut's.

I think the old truck challenge was probably the best one as far as that theme, even if it was posed as a competition. I guess do more "dump them in cars in remote locales" type of thing. I was thinking maybe do the long distance car vs [other transport] thing, but I have no clue if that'd be viable in the US. Keep Tanner driving and keep the others doing...stuff other than driving.
1: They did something like that with the "Find the worst car" challenge, everyone picked a car for someone else.

2: They also did a "team VS the world" when they went through the Utah desert with 'rental' cars. The flying Mustang was magical.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
I'm curious as to when they'll do a US vs UK challenge like they did with the Australians and Germans. Given how harsh they've been about America I'd imagine it being a pretty good show.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Hammond would get confused and bring an American car to all the challenges.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Top gear in multiple affordable car review shocker.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
Very hard to criticise an episode with Eric Clapton and car rugby.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Can someone to a gif of clsrksons girl in handbrake turn reaction please haha?

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Drakkel posted:

I'm curious as to when they'll do a US vs UK challenge like they did with the Australians and Germans. Given how harsh they've been about America I'd imagine it being a pretty good show.

I've often thought it'd be funnier to do a host swap. UK sends Hammond to shoot a US episode, US sends Adam to shoot in the UK. That way they don't have to edit the same things to show both sides cheating/winning, and the US show won't have to keep pretending that Tanner isn't the Stig.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Man, they're on a roll with this series, that was really good fun.

I liked how they filmed the Matt LeBlanc bit to carry it off as a dumb "Not going to show his face but it's him really" joke and then turned it on its head at the last minute.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

That Mastretta is seriously hideous. I liked the 'Mexican' Chevy Suburban with Illinois tags on it too. :)

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I will never tire of car sports. :allears:

Jeremy's "oh poo poo" as he realised he was going to really give May a whack was excellent.

Pitch got hosed up.

CanOfMDAmp
Nov 15, 2006

Now remember kids, no running, no diving, and no salt on my margaritas.

angryhampster posted:

That Mastretta is seriously hideous. I liked the 'Mexican' Chevy Suburban with Illinois tags on it too. :)

I saw that too, I got all confused. Regardless of the fact that they were US, why was someone from Illinois all the way in Mexico for this? Or was it really random chance?

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

CanOfMDAmp posted:

I saw that too, I got all confused. Regardless of the fact that they were US, why was someone from Illinois all the way in Mexico for this? Or was it really random chance?

Truck they rented probably just is registered in IL. I think it was the one they were following in the mountains as well, so it was probably used by the production team.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
So, who do I pay to play car rugby, that was great.

Also, I would love to see an next day shot of the pitch. :thumbsup:

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
I guess the long break paid off, because this season has been pretty good so far. I'd say this episode was the highlight and it was nice to see another completely over the top ordinary car review. That John McClane test yielded some important results and, as far as I'm concerned, should be standard in any decent car review from this point on.

grover posted:

TGUS is funded by advertising. Which unfortunately means they'd be unable to give any meaningful car reviews anyhow without risking their ad revenue. Sticking just to segments actually seems like a wise move.

Plus Top Gear is an entertainment show, anyway, and that's good. Believe me when I say that you do not want to see a serious car review show. Germany, not very surprisingly, has quite a few of those and it is impossible for them to be more boring and stereotypically German than they already are. You'll have presenters talking at length about trunk space, measured in liters, and why the 6l difference between those two cars is a make or brake issue. Also, be prepared about long-rear end lectures on the finer points of car interior surface feel.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

parrhesia posted:

I guess the long break paid off, because this season has been pretty good so far. I'd say this episode was the highlight and it was nice to see another completely over the top ordinary car review. That John McClane test yielded some important results and, as far as I'm concerned, should be standard in any decent car review from this point on.

Plus Top Gear is an entertainment show, anyway, and that's good. Believe me when I say that you do not want to see a serious car review show. Germany, not very surprisingly, has quite a few of those and it is impossible for them to be more boring and stereotypically German than they already are. You'll have presenters talking at length about trunk space, measured in liters, and why the 6l difference between those two cars is a make or brake issue. Also, be prepared about long-rear end lectures on the finer points of car interior surface feel.

Oh mine. A country full of James Mays. :stare:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

gret posted:

Oh mine. A country full of James Mays. :allears:

It's okay, I fixed your typo.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

They had a lot of topical news jokes this week. Horse meat, the pope, North Korea.

And goddrat was that rugby thing great. I want to do that so bad. That looked like more fun than I've ever had doing anything else in my life combined.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Seasons 17 and 18 felt a bit contrived and stale to me but so far 19 has been in top form. Really loved Jeremy's antics on the musical road in the second episode, looking forward to the third.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Great episode, though I gotta say, seeing even that small an amount of Matt LeBlanc made me sick to my stomach.

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!
Matt LeBlanc, Eric Clapton AND Bruce Willis in one episode? How'd they pull that off?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I'll be the odd man out and say the rugby thing went on a bit too long.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Mister Kingdom posted:

I've always been curious when they do the car sports thing and beat the poo poo out of a bunch of brand new cars; who pays for them? Does the BBC buy them all then fix them? Rent them and fix them afterwards? Sell for parts? Aside from the body damage I'm sure the drivetrains take a beating too.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

opengl128 posted:

I've always been curious when they do the car sports thing and beat the poo poo out of a bunch of brand new cars; who pays for them? Does the BBC buy them all then fix them? Rent them and fix them afterwards? Sell for parts? Aside from the body damage I'm sure the drivetrains take a beating too.

Kia give them all the cars they want because its a 20 minute advertisement on one of the most popular shows in the world for free ????

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mister Kingdom posted:

Yeah, or it didn't escalate enough over the time it was on, I was expecting a lot more carnage and smashed cars. It would have been better if they'd done their usual thing of having a load of touring car drivers or even actual rugby players driving rather than a bunch of random fat old guys

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I'll be the idiot that thought they were going to pack a Kia full of rugby players and try to play a game inside it.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES

Mister Kingdom posted:

Thank you. It got boring as hell. The episode was meh at best.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That grey #5 Cee'd took a hell of a beating. I thought it was pretty impressive before half-time when it was tooling around with a caved in passenger side front door, but near the end the rear passenger door and drivers' door had both joined the fray along with a broken bumper cover and dented passenger quarter panel.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

opengl128 posted:

I think all the cars on the show are either borrowed or the BBC covers the cost of buying them. There was one episode where Hammond and Clarkson said they liked the cars they'd used so much they bought them from the BBC.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Bit too much schilling for Kia there. Referring to the car by brand name in every possible instance, even when it's the only car they've been talking about for the majority of the episode? The celebrity appearances further make me question the integrity of the show. I wonder what the story is.

Also funny how the Mastretta is basically the same formula as a Noble or many other home-grown British sports cars with similar defects, yet the best they can do is replace their incessant casual racism with insipid commentary and abbreviated condescension.

PS: motoring journalists, for gently caress's sake, when talking about cultures you don't understand, please stop trying to make cute analogies. You don't need to talk about tortillas when reviewing a Mexican car. You don't need to talk about sushi, sumo, geisha or giant robots when talking about a Japanese car. Stop.

blk fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Feb 18, 2013

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
What about cheeseburgers and American cars?

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

blk posted:

PS: motoring journalists, for gently caress's sake, when talking about cultures you don't understand, please stop trying to make cute analogies. You don't need to talk about tortillas when reviewing a Mexican car. You don't need to talk about sushi, sumo, geisha or giant robots when talking about a Japanese car. Stop.

You realize the tortilla thing was a gag, right?

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

blk posted:

Bit too much schilling for Kia there.

"If we talk your car up a bit can you give us 10 of them to ram into each other?"

I don't mind the PR spin if the results are worth it... It's been a long while now since they last played soccer/sports with cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

ctishman posted:

Matt LeBlanc, Eric Clapton AND Bruce Willis in one episode? How'd they pull that off?
Well, the C'eed is just that drat good. I wish my neighbor who upgrades his Kia every 3 years gets it. His wife cannot park for poo poo.

Also, Lewis seemed way more relaxed in this interview than I've ever seen him. The Mclaren bullshit is already starting to fall away.

Falken fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Feb 18, 2013