Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Available on all home consoles implies some fairly interesting things. Hacking and detonating gas lines makes me think of Die Hard 4, which I'm down with. In fact the entire slant of the game's trailers kind of remind me of the chaos Olyphant's character sowed in that film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
Really looking forward to this because 1) it looks awesome, and 2) it is nice to see Chicago lovingly recreated in a game instead of NYC or LA.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Those leaked posters are great. I'm thrilled that we'll be hearing 'next-gen' used as a game descriptor for the next three years or so again.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

All home consoles? Finally a new game for my Atari 2600. :v:

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
Pretty sure "all home consoles" is shorthand for "we don't know what the console market will look like when we release this. Expect delays."

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

If this means that it'll be delayed for the PC, I'm not gonna be a happy camper.

Red Lives
Nov 20, 2007

Rest assured, Ubisoft would never do such a thing.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

As a happy owner of Rayman Legends for the WiiU, I can confirm this.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Daztek posted:

Hurray, finally a threadbump with some actual new stuff. I can't wait for this game :allears:

I know, right? I was thinking about this thread a few days ago but I didn't want to necro with nothing new to add.

I wish they'd release more teaser video. Status updates. Something.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

GreenBuckanneer posted:

If this means that it'll be delayed for the PC, I'm not gonna be a happy camper.

All that it means is that it will be available for consoles that they aren't allowed to talk about yet.

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Wait...I had something for this...
I really just want this game to be somehow linked to your tablet and phone on a meaningful way. Im hoping this is what the all home consoles is about.

Oh I cant wait for the day a game character calls my phone and tells me what the mission is. Just think of all the important calls you might miss!

Just get Will I am guy to be a contributor man is full of crazy tech ideas!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ally_1986 posted:

I really just want this game to be somehow linked to your tablet and phone on a meaningful way. Im hoping this is what the all home consoles is about.

Oh I cant wait for the day a game character calls my phone and tells me what the mission is. Just think of all the important calls you might miss!

As someone who recently got his first smartphone, I really, really hope they don't. Media::reality integration is super cool, but there's a major accessibility barrier if the full experience requires handheld OS hardware, especially when a refub PS3/360 costs as much as a smartphone. Some folks might have to choose between one luxury item or the other, and some folks are just fine with a $20 dumbphone.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

ally_1986 posted:

Just get Will I am guy to be a contributor man is full of crazy tech ideas!

You're looking for this.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Delayed and in usual Ubisoft practice, buggy as loving balls.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
New Watch Dogs PS4 preview. Still looking amazing.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Can you link that? Can't find anything on Google, just some articles about it maybe coming to ps4.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Demicol posted:

Can you link that? Can't find anything on Google, just some articles about it maybe coming to ps4.

The videos they showed will probably all be available publicly in the next few hours. They announced a new inFamous game that looks Watch Dogs-esc as well.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
This seems a bit like Psycho pass what with the predicting how likely someone is to commit a crime.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
The new preview was scripted all to poo poo and has done nothing to dissuade me of my skepticism of this game. Visually it looked nice, I guess.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Here's a video~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LZM3_wp2ps

This game :allears:

Daztek fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 21, 2013

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

That looks loving awesome.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Dan Didio posted:

The new preview was scripted all to poo poo and has done nothing to dissuade me of my skepticism of this game. Visually it looked nice, I guess.

The bit where the gun-toting criminal you were chasing said "leave me alone" in a meek voice actually felt refreshingly unscripted in its awkwardness.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
This is like if they made a Person of Interest game :allears:

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

They did the same thing in this second demo that they did with the first demo vis-a-vis multiplayer support. They teased the potential without giving anything away. You only noticed it at the end of the presentation that the camera was being controlled by some username and it was trying to counter-hack the main character (similar to how a second player was tracking the main character from the first demo) but if you watch the video a second time, you'll notice that the same user was controlling cameras earlier in the demo.

Of course I start dreaming about sneaking into other players games and becoming their bad guy (what Brink promised but didn't really deliver) and being "the system" they're trying to take down but I'm sure Ubisoft will ruin my hopes somehow. Whatever it does end up being, though, I cannot help but think it will be a compelling and fun experience. I really hope they reveal what they're planning at E3 because I don't think I can go another year without knowing what they're up to on this title.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Feb 21, 2013

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

DaveKap posted:

They did the same thing in this second demo that they did with the first demo vis-a-vis multiplayer support. They teased the potential without giving anything away. You only noticed it at the end of the presentation that the camera was being controlled by some username and it was trying to counter-hack the main character (similar to how a second player was tracking the main character from the first demo) but if you watch the video a second time, you'll notice that the same user was controlling cameras earlier in the demo.

Of course I start dreaming about sneaking into other players games and becoming their bad guy (what Brink promised but didn't really deliver) and being "the system" they're trying to take down but I'm sure Ubisoft will ruin my hopes somehow. Whatever it does end up being, though, I cannot help but think will be a compelling and fun experience. I really hope they reveal what they're planning at E3 because I don't think I can go another year without knowing what they're up to on this title.

That video said Holiday 2013, so we'll know soon enough (assuming Ubi doesn't delay it like they usually do.)

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

DaveKap posted:

Of course I start dreaming about sneaking into other players games and becoming their bad guy (what Brink promised but didn't really deliver) and being "the system" they're trying to take down but I'm sure Ubisoft will ruin my hopes somehow. Whatever it does end up being, though, I cannot help but think will be a compelling and fun experience. I really hope they reveal what they're planning at E3 because I don't think I can go another year without knowing what they're up to on this title.

https://twitter.com/PixxelFD

>Ubisoft employee, coincidence?

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
That looks good, scripted but good.

I have to admit I'm impressed but I still have doubts it will be as grandiose as they say it will be. Still, looks like it has tonnes of potential.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Ubisoft sure loves their foot chases.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Daztek posted:

https://twitter.com/PixxelFD

>Ubisoft employee, coincidence?
Definitely backs up exactly what I'm trying to say. There just has to be an asymmetrical multiplayer to this open world game and that idea excites the gently caress out of me.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Dan Didio posted:

Same here. The little chase through the pharmacy looks interesting but, knowing from other open world games, that's just a setpiece. There's probably a cutscene or a mission element there in the real game or it's just made up for this demo. Every building in virtual Chicago is not going to be built to that level of detail or even that accessible. It's already looking like most of the people aren't hackable and, those that are, the information looks to be just flavor text likely randomized and useless to the game. Can you do anything with "Pro-Life activist" or "Iraq War Veteran"? It's not like you're going to talk to them, the walking ATM hackbags that they are.

I liked the "Person of Interest" probability machine, but it seems like those tagged in that way are going to be the only people that have some sort of interactivity. Who knows how many they can be, probably as many as Oblivion or Skyrim NPCs?

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

If this was next-gen exclusive, I'd argue that, but yeah, I don't know how much of that can be achieved on a 360 or PS3.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

As far as scripting goes, the easiest way of looking at it is to compare it to Assassin's Creed. AC3 had those random houses that you could actually go through (but were empty) and all the ACs had events of certain levels (thieves, recruitments) that would pop up in the world at seemingly random points. Apply evolved versions of those things to the modern world and you have the set pieces you're seeing in Watch Dogs. It probably won't be as emergent as we all want but they are at least stepping closer and closer to what we should eventually get in a future game.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

I am greatly entertained by Ubisoft's grasp of jacket physics that they've been improving since Assassin's Creed I.

FoolishLobster
Sep 13, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

I am greatly entertained by Ubisoft's grasp of jacket physics that they've been improving since Assassin's Creed I.

All they have to do is make Ayden's hands not clip through the buckles and their jacket physics will be complete. PS4: the future of jacket physics

Banzai 3
May 8, 2007
I'm only here for the weekly 24 bitchfest.
Pillbug
Here's a version of that gameplay trailer with narration by the creative director: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO-wbMm73go

I wouldn't normally point this out, but it sounds like there's a lot about this game that will let you pursue your own adventure (around 0:40). There's also a line in there that seems to confirm that other people will be messing in your world while you're there (at the 1:50 mark).

One other thing I noticed, it looks like there are positive and negative reputation (or similar) systems in place - check the upper right hand corner of the screen just after the player beats down the criminal.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I just like that he personally decided to run the guy down even though it meant destroying a couple of police cars.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are these bizarre croaky accents what really tired people in Quebec sound like?

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
So I have a bored habit of googling in-game advertisements just to see how involved a developer's marketing team is...

ctOS, which is emblazoned on the side of all the evil, evil cameras. Leads here:

http://chicago-ctos.com/

"Quis Custodiet Costodes Ipsos" - someone needs to go back to Latin class.

DedSec was mentioned a few seconds earlier on some graffiti

"PixxelFD", an individual presumably hacking some of the cameras is the twitter alias of one of Ubisoft's marketing team members. Blah blah.

I just like it when marketing teams go the extra yard and make fake websites. :allears:

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Does it concern anyone else how many consoles this is coming out on? PS4, PS3, Xbox 360, PC, presumably the next Xbox, and now Wii U? Won't the weaker versions of them hold back the rest of them?

I'm getting pretty scared of a scenario like Just Cause 1 had where the PC port was ported from the PS2 version and not the Xbox 360/PS3 version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
A this point I'm more worried about the game pulling off 10% of the crazy poo poo they're promising than I am about whether the port will be any good. UbiSoft's PC ports have been good (Assassin's Creed) and... not good (From Dust) so we just have to hold our breath and hope I guess.

• Locked thread