Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Beamed posted:

I'm excited for when MotE's map gets ported to EU4, and the rest of the world gets an equivalent province density(excepting siberia and desolate areas etc.) My precious micro-management :allears:
One of the first mods for EU4 better be a more provinces mod, because judging by what screenshots are out the provinces currently in the game are back to the early EU3 scale-- the souther part of the Italian peninsula is just four provinces, single-province J-shaped Languedoc is back, and so forth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Beamed posted:

I'm not defending Sengoku as the greatest game in the world, but it's barely less fun than Rome. I don't even play it or like it very much, but calling it garbage and schlock is just too extreme. :shrug: Sorry for the derail, since making a decision on purchasing March of the Eagles based on Sengoku would be dumb.

It's probably is never fair to say something is the worst when we still have Iron Cross, as best summed up in the OP:

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Vegetable posted:

In EU3 do you get ducats from blockading another country's rebel-controlled province?

Yes. If a thing pops up every month with a nice number, then you are getting that many ducats. From the blockade.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

40 minutes until MotE unlock on Steam and I'm on the edge of my seat. I'm getting riled up about Steam, though. If this game had a physical disk release I could have gone to Gamestop, bought it, and started playing an hour and a half ago. You're entirely defeating the purpose of digital distribution, Steam! :doom:

While I'm waiting, has anyone seen the whole map for MotE? I'm assuming it's roughly the same as Rome: Total War's map, since the Ottoman Empire is a playable faction and Egypt will probably be represented since that was one of Napoleon's major campaigns, which means the rest of North Africa will be there too. I'm a little bummed it's not going to be worldwide, since I've always wanted a game where I could do an alt-history of "Napoleon's fleet isn't sunk at the Battle of the Nile and he invades British India," but I know it is better from a gameplay standpoint to focus on the major powers in Europe rather than have every country in the world with its own poo poo going on, most of which won't be related to the Napoleonic Wars at all.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

While I'm waiting, has anyone seen the whole map for MotE? I'm assuming it's roughly the same as Rome: Total War's map, since the Ottoman Empire is a playable faction and Egypt will probably be represented since that was one of Napoleon's major campaigns, which means the rest of North Africa will be there too. I'm a little bummed it's not going to be worldwide, since I've always wanted a game where I could do an alt-history of "Napoleon's fleet isn't sunk at the Battle of the Nile and he invades British India," but I know it is better from a gameplay standpoint to focus on the major powers in Europe rather than have every country in the world with its own poo poo going on, most of which won't be related to the Napoleonic Wars at all.

I believe the map goes up to and includes Persia. If I'm bummed out about something it's the non-inclusion of non-European theatres (before Pdox took over development there would have been sidescreens of places like the North American theatre).

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

Beamed posted:

I'm not defending Sengoku as the greatest game in the world, but it's barely less fun than Rome. I don't even play it or like it very much, but calling it garbage and schlock is just too extreme. :shrug: Sorry for the derail, since making a decision on purchasing March of the Eagles based on Sengoku would be dumb.

Honestly, Sengoku is rubbish and Rome is a significantly better game despite its flaws. If anything, calling Sengoku 'barely less fun than Rome' is extreme.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Ofaloaf posted:

One of the first mods for EU4 better be a more provinces mod, because judging by what screenshots are out the provinces currently in the game are back to the early EU3 scale-- the souther part of the Italian peninsula is just four provinces, single-province J-shaped Languedoc is back, and so forth.
This is a Paradox game we're talking about. Of course there's going to be a map mod to sperg out on. Plus, province maps are by far the easiest thing to mod in a Paradox game.

LP97S posted:

It's probably is never fair to say something is the worst when we still have Iron Cross, as best summed up in the OP:

I forgot all about The Courage Push the Bravery.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

40 minutes until MotE unlock on Steam and I'm on the edge of my seat. I'm getting riled up about Steam, though. If this game had a physical disk release I could have gone to Gamestop, bought it, and started playing an hour and a half ago. You're entirely defeating the purpose of digital distribution, Steam! :doom:

i'll be waiting for your trip report before I decide to purchase it.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
I'm pretty excited for this game, I will play a multiplayer game as soon as it comes which will be quite exciting.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

ZearothK posted:

A Srb Divided based on the Multi-Award-Winning-Succession-Something-Awful-Let's-Play :colbert:. Currently in beta. It is still missing some of the planned events and POP adjustments I intend, but is perfectly playable right now. Development has slowed while I drink myself silly over having to convert it to A Heart of Darkness any time now.

I found a rather annoying bug in this version; the game crashes every time I try to click on any province in Cuba, along with the provinces of Jamaica, Aruba, and The Bahamas. I tried a clean install of both the game and the mod on the chance that it was my install that was corrupted and it happens regardless.

Edit: Seems to happen in El Paso too.

ArchRanger fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Feb 18, 2013

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Zip posted:

i'll be waiting for your trip report before I decide to purchase it.

Yeah, I'll definitely play a couple hours (I have an exam to study for so I can't play too much) and post my impressions in here. Now Steam isn't letting me install the drat game, though, so I'm going to have to find some way to work around that first. Under my library it still says MotE isn't out yet so I can't download it, but the store page says it is and has the nice big "play now!" button that doesn't do anything when I press it. Apparently the same thing happened to Steam versions of Dark Souls that's happening to me so I'll have to see what they did to fix it.

edit: Apparently according to Steam forums, Steam just likes to run late on stuff like this sometimes. I assumed it would be automated to just unlock at a set time but apparently Steam won't schedule an unlock until the middle of the day and then won't actually do it until later than that. :rolleyes:

Punished Chuck fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 18, 2013

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

ArchRanger posted:

I found a rather annoying bug in this version; the game crashes every time I try to click on any province in Cuba, along with the provinces of Jamaica, Aruba, and The Bahamas. I tried a clean install of both the game and the mod on the chance that it was my install that was corrupted and it happens regardless.

Edit: Seems to happen in El Paso too.

Weird, I just tried it on my version and I couldn't re-create the crash. Maybe try regenerating the map cache? Delete the contents of "X:\Users\Username\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Victoria II\A Srb\map" and see if that helps.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Lord Tywin posted:

I'm pretty excited for this game, I will play a multiplayer game as soon as it comes which will be quite exciting.

Yeah, if it gets good feedback I think this will be the first pdox game I get primarily for the multiplayer.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Somebody kick the hamster in the PDX forum's server, it just died.

As for the Steam button not working yet, their game unlocking technology isn't that great. Most of the time it takes 20-30 minutes to really unlock a game.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

nutranurse posted:

Yeah, if it gets good feedback I think this will be the first pdox game I get primarily for the multiplayer.

That's why I got it, I have never really got into multiplayer since it requries so many sessions but with this only a few sessions should be required.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Yeah, I'll definitely play a couple hours (I have an exam to study for so I can't play too much) and post my impressions in here. Now Steam isn't letting me install the drat game, though, so I'm going to have to find some way to work around that first. Under my library it still says MotE isn't out yet so I can't download it, but the store page says it is and has the nice big "play now!" button that doesn't do anything when I press it. Apparently the same thing happened to Steam versions of Dark Souls that's happening to me so I'll have to see what they did to fix it.

edit: Apparently according to Steam forums, Steam just likes to run late on stuff like this sometimes. I assumed it would be automated to just unlock at a set time but apparently Steam won't schedule an unlock until the middle of the day and then won't actually do it until later than that. :rolleyes:

Exactly the same here. Just so you know it's not just you.

And yeah, that's pretty much normal. It can take 30-60 minutes for the Steam day to roll over, so to speak. One important thing is to restart your client now and then, that is usually required.

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

nutranurse posted:

Same deal here, the intrigue of multiplayer will probably add a huge amount of value to it. Hopefully there's value below that in the first place.

Mirdini fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Feb 18, 2013

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

ZearothK posted:

Weird, I just tried it on my version and I couldn't re-create the crash. Maybe try regenerating the map cache? Delete the contents of "X:\Users\Username\Documents\Paradox Interactive\Victoria II\A Srb\map" and see if that helps.

I did that as a part of my clean install. Might be a graphical glitch causing it? Weird that it would happen only with the mod though. I'll mess around with my graphics and see what happens.

ArchRanger fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Feb 18, 2013

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007

ZearothK posted:

To update, it looks like it's my video card that's causing it. Now I'm just confused what the hell would make it crash in the mod but not the base game when they're identical graphically.

SA_Avenger
Oct 22, 2012

Beamed posted:

... but it's barely less fun than Rome.

I simply loved EU: Rome, it was load of fun (esp in mp but also in single player) different experience depending the country you pick and a shorter theatre. It had a few flaws but I never got why it had so much slack from the forums.

Sengoku I indeed never managed to get into but tbh I'm simply not interested in the period/area so I didn't try hard

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

SA_Avenger posted:

I simply loved EU: Rome, it was load of fun (esp in mp but also in single player) different experience depending the country you pick and a shorter theatre. It had a few flaws but I never got why it had so much slack from the forums.

Sengoku I indeed never managed to get into but tbh I'm simply not interested in the period/area so I didn't try hard

I really tried to love EU: Rome. I really -want- to love EU: Rome. But something about it didn't click with me, and I hope their next try at it will help. :smith:

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
The big problem I have with Rome despite not continuing all the way to the end of the Western Roman Empire is that the trade routes were a nightmare to set up for big nations. You had like 2 or 3 per province and when you get a big enough nation it becomes a drag to have to set up each trade with another province.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

It was pretty funny when the Steam version of The Republic was released 24 hours late because of [SCENE MISSING], but it wasn't so funny they need to do it again with MotE, to be perfectly honest.

I'm bridging the time by perusing the official forums. Did you guys know that

quote:

This is what happens when your sole provider is steam.
Truly Steam is the foulest of all companies.

?

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
I'm pretty sure it'll be possible to do a straight port of EU Rome to EU4 once it's out. Between the demo and Wiz's RotA mod, you'll have all the source files you need. I looked into it for CK2, but the amount of empty space in Rome means it wouldn't really work out on that engine.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Smirr posted:

It was pretty funny when the Steam version of The Republic was released 24 hours late because of [SCENE MISSING],

Wait, what?

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Farecoal posted:

Wait, what?

It just didn't show up on the Steam store on the day it was supposed to. The Gamersgate version was released like you'd expect, and Greenmangaming was selling Steam keys that unlocked the DLC (until they ran out of keys), but you could only buy the DLC on Steam itself a day after the scheduled release date.

I actually don't know if either Paradox or Valve ever gave a reason.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
It's out.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

MotE is up, downloading now! :woop:

e: well, that'll teach me to get lunch while leaving my tabs open.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Crameltonian posted:

Paradox have made a number of excellent games but that doesn't mean they deserve our undying loyalty

Yes we do! :(

Also, yeah, our forum kind of died. Probably because everyone in the world is posted about Steam being late.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

run DNC posted:

Yes. If a thing pops up every month with a nice number, then you are getting that many ducats. From the blockade.
Ah thanks I wasn't sure if this applied for rebel provinces, that's pretty useful.

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything
Anyone sitting with a group of friends waiting to try the MP? If so, invite me please!

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Man, I'm only in the tutorial and I'm already impressed. Not only is it a good-lookin' game, but it beats out CK2 in terms of accessibility. Every single one of the many buttons you can push has a detailed tooltip telling you what it's for explained in fairly clear terms. It even tells you if an assault is likely to succeed or not and what kind of casualties to expect if you hover over the "Assault" button! There's a ton of unit types, too, a lot more variety than any other Paradox game, except maybe HoI.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Anyone else it would be interesting if CKII got an expansion that added India and Asia? If Muslems have largely the same system in game as Christians do I don't see any real reason why not to have India and China not have the same either with some quirks and their own gimmicks.

Like instead of decadence you have some sort of Confucianist "Virtue/Ren" meter that has to be low or high enough before you can rebel against the Emperor (or his low enough) with more options for civil administration.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
See, I wasn't going to buy MotE, but I didn't realize it was only 20$ and I've got a couple days off, and...

It's me. I'm the one with no willpower. :negative:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Man, I'm only in the tutorial and I'm already impressed. Not only is it a good-lookin' game, but it beats out CK2 in terms of accessibility. Every single one of the many buttons you can push has a detailed tooltip telling you what it's for explained in fairly clear terms. It even tells you if an assault is likely to succeed or not and what kind of casualties to expect if you hover over the "Assault" button! There's a ton of unit types, too, a lot more variety than any other Paradox game, except maybe HoI.

So is this game basically HoI: Napoleon edition? If so I think it might be worth 20 bucks or so just to see if I can conquer Russia or prevent the breakup of the HRE or other ahistorical things.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Play, goons, so I can know whether to spend my $20 or not.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Fintilgin posted:

See, I wasn't going to buy MotE, but I didn't realize it was only 20$ and I've got a couple days off, and...

It's me. I'm the one with no willpower. :negative:

I'm getting off work early today and if I come back to this thread and there's people saying it's a real game that works I might be :20bux: poorer.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I haven't had time to play it yet, but I really like that there is a small flavor blurb for every single nation in the game no matter how small.

e; also there is a nation called 'HRE' that consists of 4 provinces :allears:

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
My download is almost finished, can't wait to play!

It was probably not my best idea to buy (preorder, too!) a game based on a period of history which I don't really like, but oh well. What's the best beginner nation, France?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

KoldPT posted:

My download is almost finished, can't wait to play!

It was probably not my best idea to buy (preorder, too!) a game based on a period of history which I don't really like, but oh well. What's the best beginner nation, France?

Considering history and also the fact that they just kicked my Prussian teeth in so very hard, I'd say yes.

Seconding how accessible the interface is. Those exclamation mark buttons are mindblowing. Also, I think this is the best looking mapgame so far. The terrain mode is even surprisingly usable.

• Locked thread