Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Pope Guilty posted:

Alpha Protocol is really well-written but the gameplay and graphics are both awful messes.
I don't really pay attention to graphics (unless they go out of their way to be horrible), but what's the problem with AP there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER

fleshweasel posted:

Trained swimming is worth getting. It's cheap and saves time.

Man for serious I don't even know why you'd play without Biomod. It completely fixes every useless aug and skill.

edit: fleshweasel I just quoted you because you were talking about Swimming, my post isn't specifically directed at you

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Xander77 posted:

I don't really pay attention to graphics (unless they go out of their way to be horrible), but what's the problem with AP there?

They just look really primitive, especially for when they came out. Not Dreamcasty, but that was the first thing I thought of.

Also it suffers from "You want to jump over that low wall? gently caress YOU FOR NOT GUESSING WHICH SPECIFIC PLACE WE WANT YOU TO JUMP OVER IT!" This was not helped by the fact that the game I played immediately after giving up on it was Arkham Asylum.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Pope Guilty posted:

They just look really primitive, especially for when they came out. Not Dreamcasty, but that was the first thing I thought of.
So the graphics are bad in that they are... bad? K.

quote:

Also it suffers from "You want to jump over that low wall? gently caress YOU FOR NOT GUESSING WHICH SPECIFIC PLACE WE WANT YOU TO JUMP OVER IT!" This was not helped by the fact that the game I played immediately after giving up on it was Arkham Asylum.
Someone literally described AP gameplay in the DE:HR anticipation thread, and I was sure that it was a parody. Designated jumping spots and all.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Also if you complain about the gunplay being bad, people tell you to just pump pistols and use chain shot to wreck everything. Because having one overpowered bullet-time ability makes the combat system being crappy acceptable.

Agh, AP. So much potential.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Pope Guilty posted:

Also if you complain about the gunplay being bad, people tell you to just pump pistols and use chain shot to wreck everything. Because having one overpowered bullet-time ability makes the combat system being crappy acceptable.

People say that so you can get it out the way quicker, they're not saying it makes up for the game's flaws, dude.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Alpha Protocol is not an action shooter - but it is a pretty good talky RPG with gently caress loads of storyline permutations and choices that characters actually react to.

Plus the conversation system is great. The combat - yeah, the combat is the biggest downfall of that game. Still great recommendation if you like Deus Ex.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Pope Guilty posted:

I quite liked it, although it would have been better without the Sega-enforced "you can't hit anything for poo poo" RPG-stylings.

And Deus Ex was generally regarded as graphically average at best when it came out, to keep with the topic of the thread.

quote:

As good as the gameplay is, visuals aren't one of Deus Ex's stronger points. Since it's built on the Unreal engine, Deus Ex isn't as pretty as other first-person games like Quake III or Soldier of Fortune. The graphics are blocky, the animation is stiff, and the dithering is just plain awful in some spots, but overall Deus Ex certainly looks better than your average game, and I'm certainly willing to sacrifice graphics in favor of solid gameplay, which this game is overflowing with.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Pope Guilty posted:

I couldn't do the first hacking minigame in AP with a kb/mouse, it was more frustrating then fun and put me off. I must give it another go.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Anatharon posted:

While I found DE's graphics kinda charming, AP's are just outdated. It's the only game that really does respond to every single thing you do, though, as far as I'm aware.

Getting bonus checks and thank you emails for only using non-lethal weapons on CIA agent is pretty cool

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

wipeout posted:

I couldn't do the first hacking minigame in AP with a kb/mouse, it was more frustrating then fun and put me off. I must give it another go.

The mouse controls are a bit wonky. What you have to do is steadily move your mouse over a large distance, rather than making the quick snappy movements you're used to. The system was pretty clearly designed for twin-stick, and was never properly adapted to mouse and keyboard.

Of course, you can get a skill pretty early on that lets you consume EMP grenades to bypass both types of hacking and the lockpicking minigame. Using that, you can easily beat the game without ever playing any of the minigames (although you'll have to skip the stealth tutorial).

It really truly is worth it to work past AP's flaws to get to its conversation system and extreme reactivity.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Was bored last night and decided to try out Unrealistic Mode (in Shifter/Biomod). A stray bullet from the first NSF agent I saw caused the second NSF agent I saw to blow up :stare: Are there explosive 10mm rounds in the game or was it scripted to treat the bullet like a rocket (or other type of ammo) when it contacts someone?

VV What do you mean by rare? Are they in hard-to-find locations or do they spawn randomly at some low rate?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 22, 2013

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Yes, there's 10mm high explosive. It's rare but oh man it's so awesome if you get some. Or, you know, spawnmass ammo10mmEX. :getin:

I have no idea if that's what happened to you since I haven't done Unrealistic, but 10mm explosive exists.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Psion posted:

Yes, there's 10mm high explosive. It's rare but oh man it's so awesome if you get some. Or, you know, spawnmass ammo10mmEX. :getin:

I have no idea if that's what happened to you since I haven't done Unrealistic, but 10mm explosive exists.

I haven't used shifter, but isn't the gimmick of Unrealistic that weapon/enemy combinations are way more randomized than normal? So maybe one of those NSF guys just happened to be carrying some.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Pope Guilty posted:

Deus Ex was ugly from day 1 and I never noticed any ledge jumping guessing games in AP. If all ledge jumping was scripted, they must have taken the time to manually put those jump sections practically everywhere. Maybe you should've given it a little more of a chance.

Anyway, people who can enjoy a nice Deus Ex stealth run should enjoy AP and I hope they got in on it. Deal's dead now.

C-Euro posted:

What do you mean by rare? Are they in hard-to-find locations or do they spawn randomly at some low rate?
Enemies carry random loot in Biomod (maybe some have static drops, don't know). Pretty handy for getting some extra weapon mods.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

I saw in the readme for Biomod that The Nameless Mod is not supported. Does this also apply to Shifter, or is there a way to use either of these mods with something big like TNM?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Started messing about and ended up doing another play through. I managed to get new dialouge options! I made sure Navarre didnt go on a killing spree but wiped out the NSF in front of Osgood and Sons. Carter gave me an extra ammo clip, while JC defended his use of lethal force to Manderley despite Paul handing out gas grenades. Nice to see something new, I'd never managed to get that response before.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Komoxdos posted:

I saw in the readme for Biomod that The Nameless Mod is not supported. Does this also apply to Shifter, or is there a way to use either of these mods with something big like TNM?

TNM has its own augs and weapons, so I doubt Shiftwer works with it either.

Reive
May 21, 2009

I went and made a thing, well two things, but it's basically the same thing.
It's a Deus Ex photosphere!
http://photosynth.net/view.aspx?cid=3a5634b3-09b0-4f33-a761-c7930cec1b63

But I also made a high-res full view panorama from the same images:

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Lemon Curdistan posted:

TNM has its own augs and weapons, so I doubt Shiftwer works with it either.
Actually Shifter does support The Nameless Mod. There might be a few minor issues, but it'll work.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Deus Ex collection (and individual items) is 75% off on Steam.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I tried a Hard mode run recently, where I used less popular skills like Demolition, Environmental Training, and Swimming.
Demolition is surprisingly good; once you get used to it, LAMs can outperform the GEP gun for bot killing and lockpicking, and EMP/Gas/Scramble grenades have a larger blast radius which helps with crowd control. Swimming is alright. I wouldn't recommend upgrading too much, but the difference between Untrained and Trained is actually very noticeable, and there's enough water in the game to justify it. Besides, it's only like, 675 skill points.

Environmental Training, on the other hand, is poo poo. Early in the run, I picked up the Hazmat suit on Liberty Island and was quite pleased; it boosted the resistance up to about 50% at Trained, allowing me to use Gas Grenades and the Prod together to manage large crowds non-lethally, and it lasted about 90 seconds. Unfortunately, that's the only good suit, it seems. Ballistic Armor also reduces damage by 50% at Trained, but it only lasts about 20 seconds! Thermoptic Camo and the Goggles are even worse, lasting roughly 15 seconds each before being used up. I couldn't get any data on the Rebreather because I installed Aqualung and simply used that instead. It's a shame, since actually putting points into Environmental Training seemed to make the suits actually quite powerful; it's just the ridiculously short battery times make them completely useless.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta

Alabaster White posted:

I tried a Hard mode run recently, where I used less popular skills like Demolition, Environmental Training, and Swimming.
Demolition is surprisingly good; once you get used to it, LAMs can outperform the GEP gun for bot killing and lockpicking, and EMP/Gas/Scramble grenades have a larger blast radius which helps with crowd control. Swimming is alright. I wouldn't recommend upgrading too much, but the difference between Untrained and Trained is actually very noticeable, and there's enough water in the game to justify it. Besides, it's only like, 675 skill points.

Environmental Training, on the other hand, is poo poo. Early in the run, I picked up the Hazmat suit on Liberty Island and was quite pleased; it boosted the resistance up to about 50% at Trained, allowing me to use Gas Grenades and the Prod together to manage large crowds non-lethally, and it lasted about 90 seconds. Unfortunately, that's the only good suit, it seems. Ballistic Armor also reduces damage by 50% at Trained, but it only lasts about 20 seconds! Thermoptic Camo and the Goggles are even worse, lasting roughly 15 seconds each before being used up. I couldn't get any data on the Rebreather because I installed Aqualung and simply used that instead. It's a shame, since actually putting points into Environmental Training seemed to make the suits actually quite powerful; it's just the ridiculously short battery times make them completely useless.
Why aren't you playing with Biomod installed? With Biomod, ballistic armor is only depleted when bullets hit you rather then just working for a lovely period of time. It also changes swimming to athletics which makes that upgrade even more worthwhile. It also unfucks all the augs.

Install Biomod.

edit: just realised I made a terrible error.

fuckpot fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jan 28, 2013

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Demolitions has always been a good skill; putting even a rank in it means you can comfortably disarm mines (like the gas mines at the top of the statue), and other than that a LAM with maxed out Demolitions is a truly frightening weapon.

But also,

fuckpot posted:

Install Biomod.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I tried Biomod but I didn't really like it, mainly due to the weird, pointless mantling system where you can barely jump as a result of it. I use Shifter at least :shobon:

e: Biomod seems to have updated since I last used it and is now pretty good!

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jan 28, 2013

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I just beat this game for the first time and had a lot of fun with it even if some of the later area design was pretty bad. JC Denton will always be a horribly schizophrenic person who alternates between slick stealthy superspy, ridiculous showoff (I loving loved being able to enter by crashing through the ceiling window in Vandenberg), rampant murderhobo and hopeless alcoholic to me.

I read a lot of the thread for alternate routes and things I'd missed and didn't see the bizarre turn of events that happened in my playthrough mentioned. The very first thing I noticed when I entered Hong Kong was a nearby keypad. :getin: I ended up in a police box (and murdered about half of HK's police force, oh well), snooped around...and later this broke the intended sequence of the plot. I was told Maggie Chow was expecting me but when I entered her apartment only the maid was there, approaching me to talk then opening fire while a bunch of MJ12 troops bust in from a secret room :psyduck:. The first time I even saw Maggie Chow was when I got to eavesdrop on the dialogue inside VersaLife labs, and later at the UC she talked to me as if she knew me.

This game. :allears:

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Tonfa posted:

I just beat this game for the first time and had a lot of fun with it even if some of the later area design was pretty bad. JC Denton will always be a horribly schizophrenic person who alternates between slick stealthy superspy, ridiculous showoff (I loving loved being able to enter by crashing through the ceiling window in Vandenberg), rampant murderhobo and hopeless alcoholic to me.

I read a lot of the thread for alternate routes and things I'd missed and didn't see the bizarre turn of events that happened in my playthrough mentioned. The very first thing I noticed when I entered Hong Kong was a nearby keypad. :getin: I ended up in a police box (and murdered about half of HK's police force, oh well), snooped around...and later this broke the intended sequence of the plot. I was told Maggie Chow was expecting me but when I entered her apartment only the maid was there, approaching me to talk then opening fire while a bunch of MJ12 troops bust in from a secret room :psyduck:. The first time I even saw Maggie Chow was when I got to eavesdrop on the dialogue inside VersaLife labs, and later at the UC she talked to me as if she knew me.

This game. :allears:

Spoiler'd all that just in case. I'm not so sure that you "broke the intended sequence of the plot." You were told Chow expected you but that was to lure you into the trap.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I just replayed this, and even though the graphics aren't so great, I still think the explosion effects are way badass. I don't understand why so many other games get this wrong. When you throw a grenade, there's like, a big flash and stuff shattering and then smoke spewing everywhere. No wimpy little fireballs and weak sound effects. The gore effects are really funny too. I got to a point near the end in Area 51 where they send a team of MJ12 guys up an elevator to ambush you and had placed a couple LAMs near the entrance. When I rode down the elevator after they exploded there were literally blood splatters streaking all the way down the side of the elevator shaft and onto the floor. :stare:

Is there any decent info on the game's development process? It seems kind of strange, there are some later areas like the ocean lab that are really well done atmospherically, but then places like Paris where I walked into some of the buildings and thought I accidentally left the map or something because the interiors were so empty and featureless.

Throckwoddle
Jan 3, 2012

You wanna dance?

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

I just replayed this, and even though the graphics aren't so great, I still think the explosion effects are way badass. I don't understand why so many other games get this wrong. When you throw a grenade, there's like, a big flash and stuff shattering and then smoke spewing everywhere. No wimpy little fireballs and weak sound effects. The gore effects are really funny too. I got to a point near the end in Area 51 where they send a team of MJ12 guys up an elevator to ambush you and had placed a couple LAMs near the entrance. When I rode down the elevator after they exploded there were literally blood splatters streaking all the way down the side of the elevator shaft and onto the floor. :stare:

Is there any decent info on the game's development process? It seems kind of strange, there are some later areas like the ocean lab that are really well done atmospherically, but then places like Paris where I walked into some of the buildings and thought I accidentally left the map or something because the interiors were so empty and featureless.

There's a postmortem by Warren Spector: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/131523/postmortem_ion_storms_deus_ex.php.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Little Blue Couch posted:

Man, the dumb way that the ending of the first game was handled has been a huge complaint basically forever. They're both pretty bad.

Cloaking was no good until it was maxed out and you had all the battery upgrades. The Reflex Booster was the best upgrade in the game, perhaps in any game

A few pages back, but you don't even need battery upgrades for cloaking to be broken. L3 cloak takes only 4 praxis points, and 7 seconds is a long time. It's enough to sprint past a few guards and into cover. And even if you don't want to use it that way, you can treat it as a get-out-of-alarmed-free card. Cornered, can't find anywhere to retreat? Pop cloak, get out. Or pop cloak, tase them.

Overall, I actually like the cover-based stealth. Cover based stealth needs 3rd person camera, because unlike shadow based stealth (where there are safe spots where you can observe guard patterns), which gives the players more situational awareness in the middle of a pack of guards. Tapping space to flit from one node of cover to another is fun as its so dynamic.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
If anyone cares, the Nihilum mod might finally be coming out this summer. I've been conscripted to do some voice work... don't worry, it will be way less poo poo than the preview video they have up. Sadly, I'm only voicing some bit roles, though. :smith:

It has a pretty solid story and setup, apparently, and intentionally retains a lot of the ridiculous tongue-in-cheek random dialogue choices of the original. Should be fun, at the very least, and better than the loving retarded rear end Nameless mod.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Voice acting in mods always makes me shudder. The original game had loads of terrible "friends/family of the developers" actors especially in Hong Kong but goddamn.

"No thanks. I had a ham sandwich in the chopper." It's just... goddamn. Mad Ingram, the nano-augmented ham sandwich eating agent. I thought soy food, soda and candy bars were the only foods in this universe anyway.

zombieman
Aug 8, 2003

That's one happy fucking egg!
I'm on another replay (How many now?) and this time I'm going brute force melee. I started with the crowbar, and later upgraded to the Dragon Tooth, and I've spent all my time charging in, pepper spraying the gently caress out of everyone and then clobbering away until nothing is moving anymore. I've got my trusty GEP gun for big robots and irritating doors. Clearing out Versalife was just hilarious.

"Remember your stealth training and....."
WHACK! WHACK! WHACK! WHACK!
"What a shame!"

This game just never gets boring.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Speaking of Versalife, what are you supposed to do with the keypad door to Level 2 that you can find on Level 1? Is that simply another way to get into Level 2 without having to take the secret path in Canal Road?

VV The tunnel right next to the Luminous Path. Tong even tells you to go there.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 19, 2013

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

C-Euro posted:

Speaking of Versalife, what are you supposed to do with the keypad door to Level 2 that you can find on Level 1? Is that simply another way to get into Level 2 without having to take the secret path in Canal Road?

There's a secret path in Canal Road?

:negative:

Mystic Cave zOWNd
Dec 22, 2006

Trixie bravely turned her tail and fled

And there was much rejoicing.
I think Tong mentions it when he sends you down there, some of the police cars have moved and there's a maintenance door. Fun fact: there's a keypad, but the door opens if you click on it anyway.

zombieman
Aug 8, 2003

That's one happy fucking egg!

Mystic Cave zOWNd posted:

I think Tong mentions it when he sends you down there, some of the police cars have moved and there's a maintenance door. Fun fact: there's a keypad, but the door opens if you click on it anyway.

I always used the keypad, drat it! The code for that door also opens the elevator to level 2 in Versalife.

Also, Tong's "Revel 2" makes me cringe.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

EngineerSean posted:

There's a secret path in Canal Road?

:negative:

Are you really going to go back through the front door of Versalife after torching half a dozen guards (and the secretary) with a WP grenade?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
That was no mere secretary though. Read her computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much
Anyone know of any coop mods for this? Playing System Shock 2 in coop with its recent GoG release made me realize how fun this would be to play through with someone else.

Two dickhead JC Dentons :allears: