Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
If tattoos were an issue we wouldn't have a body left in the combat arms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

swagger like us posted:

This is my third year of having a CT to Int Op (and Comms Rsch) from infantry reserves but Im not holding my breath. Am I right in assuming its more difficult to get into because my application is put below regular force transfers into the trade? (since Int Op is VOT only, mostly). Sucks though, I speak Russian and have some university so I like to think im an okay candidate.

Yeah, that's my understanding. And your fancy Russian speaking might be okay but the more serious question is how good are you at colouring? For bonus credit, do you know how to burn DVD's?

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
From my year of reserve time it was apparent that fully clearing out of the military and re-applying would actually be faster than CTing. I met a lot of dudes who were on their 2nd+ year of waiting for a transfer.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
I'd say anything short of actual face tats gets a blind eye turned on it. Even poorly thought out next and hand tats don't raise too many eyebrows.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Simkin posted:

I'd say anything short of actual face tats gets a blind eye turned on it. Even poorly thought out next and hand tats don't raise too many eyebrows.

Neck tattoos above the collar are frowned on. And you'll get charged for getting one.

Morristron
Nov 20, 2010
You can get charged for it, but I've never heard of it happening. Some dudes, just to be careful, get it while being posted. If you show up at a new posting with a technically illegal tattoo people tend to assume you've already been poo poo on about it.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/canadian-spy-jeffrey-delisle-gets-20-years-for-selling-secrets-to-russia/article8390425/

They should've executed him. I wish we had the death penalty.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

:stare:

Easy there debbuh dawg

He's a pathetic, sad sack of a person, who will be paying for his crimes with HARD time, and lots of it.

He gets to live the rest of his life knowing he sold out his country for peanuts because he couldn't deal with the fact that his wife is a slut.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
He committed treason for 70 grand over 5 years? Jesus dude.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Samu posted:

He committed treason for 70 grand over 5 years? Jesus dude.

KGB/FSB is notoriously stingy when it comes to payouts. CIA/MI6 tended to play on the Money/Conscience part of M.I.C.E, where KGB/GRU focused on Ideology/Ego.

HammerOfHope
Apr 21, 2003

Pounding away since 1984.
He literally walked into the embassy and offered to sell them secrets, I doubt he needed much financial incentive.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

There was an article on G&M a year or so ago when the story broke and they interviewed his wife. She makes him sound like a goon.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/accused-spy-jeffrey-delisle-led-second-life-online/article4097146/

Morristron
Nov 20, 2010
I've been on a kick lately where I try to see the good in people or understand their circumstances when they do lovely things.

I'm not coming up with anything here.

BIG NORTH
Jul 7, 2007

I THOUGHT YOU WERE THE DEAN
Yeah, I don't really think there is any way to spin this in a positive light. He was kind of a dick.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug
More like just a huge loser whose wife left him because he couldn't stop playing computer games. Maybe he was a goon??

Sir John Eh
Feb 27, 2007
They say Rene Descartes was a drunken fart, but I should have that title

ub posted:

More like just a huge loser whose wife left him because he couldn't stop playing computer games. Maybe he was a goon??

So the next time something like this happens, just point the JAG at this thread?

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Hope y'all weren't hoping to enjoy any education reimbursement any time soon, if ever again...

Canadian Defence Academy posted:

POTENTIAL EDUCATION REIMBURSEMENT FUNDING RESTRICTION FY 13/14 =========================

******** DO NOT REPLY TO THIS E-MAIL ********

THIS MESSAGE IS FOR YOUR INFORMATION.

SENT ON BEHALF OF COMD CDA

1. CBI 210.801 - Education Reimbursement - Primary Reserve establishes the CF Education Reimbursement program and assigns responsibility for its administration to CDA. The program has been in effect since 2004 and provides an avenue for CF personnel to be reimbursed for educational opportunities in support of CF objectives. Note that funding for this program is not guaranteed.

2. While the CF Education Reimbursement program has never guaranteed funding for ILPs, funding in recent years has been available to reimburse ILPs $2,000 per academic year to a career maximum of $8,000. However, due to current departmental fiscal pressures, the funds available for ER may be significantly reduced on 1 Apr 13.

3. Para 2 does not refer to ILPs for members under CANFORGEN 094/10 - Education Reimbursement for Ill and Injured Personnel. ILPs and claims may continue to be submitted under this policy.

4. Specific details on the implications for and existing ILPs will be sent as a separate notice to users and posted on the CDA ILP DWAN site at http://redacted or http://redacted.

(that's the one sent to reservists but RegF folks got one very similar)

Way to kill one of the major attraction and retention tools you have, guys. Also, this was apparently sent Friday afternoon, and to individual members, not chains-of-command. This should be a loving drama bomb.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Hot drat, say goodbye to reserve Pte/Cpls.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
Yeah I got that last week. Not really a happy camper right now.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

gently caress me. I haven't heard anything through my chain, so here's hoping I can shake some information out of them.

Elgar
Mar 12, 2005
Hey guys, what is going on I don't understand.

compressioncut posted:

Hope y'all weren't hoping to enjoy any education reimbursement any time soon, if ever again...

(that's the one sent to reservists but RegF folks got one very similar)

Way to kill one of the major attraction and retention tools you have, guys. Also, this was apparently sent Friday afternoon, and to individual members, not chains-of-command. This should be a loving drama bomb.

I was looking forward to taking advantage of the ILP later this year. When I saw what they said about the reg force funding too I was disappointed. Went from unlimited to 20K last year, now to almost nothing. Pretty disappointing.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
RegF one:

quote:

POTENTIAL EDUCATION REIMBURSEMENT FUNDING RESTRICTION FY 13/14 =========================

******** DO NOT REPLY TO THIS E-MAIL ********

THIS MESSAGE IS FOR YOUR INFORMATION.

SENT ON BEHALF OF COMD CDA

1. Military Personnel Instruction 17/04 - Education Reimbursement for the Regular Force establishes the CF Education Reimbursement program and assigns responsibility for its administration to CDA. The program has been in effect since 2004 and provides an avenue for CF personnel to be reimbursed for educational opportunities in support of CF objectives. The instruction notes that funding for this program is not guaranteed.

2. While the CF Education Reimbursement program has never guaranteed funding for ILPs, funding in recent years has been available to fully reimburse ILPs. However, due to current departmental fiscal pressures, the funds available for ER may be significantly reduced on 1 Apr 2013.

3. Para 2 does not refer to ILPs for members under DAOD 5002-6 CEOTP or CANFORGEN 094/10 -Education Reimbursement for Ill and Injured Personnel. ILPs and claims may continue to be submitted under these policies.

4. Specific details on the implications for and existing ILPs will be sent as a separate notice to users and posted on the CDA ILP DWAN site at http://redacted or http://redacted.

5. Questions or clarifications can be sent to REDACTED or REDACTED@forces.gc.ca mailbox.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

Wow, that is some seriously intense bullshit. Glad I took advantage of it while I was in.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Jesus. All the junior NCMs in my unit are in for the benefits and to help pay for school, if that goes away I don't see a big future for retention.

compressioncut
Sep 3, 2003

Eat knuckle, Fritz!
Longer one from CDA today saying basically the same thing, plus which ILPs will be funded (through winter 13, which I guess is through the current term).

But the good news is you can still apply for a CFPAS loan and claim the education tax credit (wow!!!).

mdivi
Nov 23, 2003

Nothing happen for nothing
One of the main reasons I joined was for this benefit. It will be interesting to see how it unfolds.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

Well apparently my ILP is still valid for the rest of the year. Which is good and means I'm not out 5 grand, but which also means that they wont really cover the rest of my schooling. I've been doing Athabasca online university classes. My ILP was actually a big part of why I resigned my contract, and if it's being cut I might terminate my second contract before it even starts because this is a pretty big blow.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
Hell of an opportune time to float into the thread it looks like!!

I'm a metalworker by inclination/trade with very little formal training (which I absolutely cannot afford). The Materials Technician trade seems to offer a seriously thorough/comprehensive year-long course covering pretty much everything I'd ever be inclined to learn. AND, and, there's a Reserve equivalent to the position, too.
I've always held the CF as a possible job/career, but haven't thought about it seriously in years, not since I started metalworking, and this gives me an actual driver beyond "I think it'd be a decent fit for me". What sort of training would I receive in the reserves trade vs. the regular route?

Barrakketh
Apr 19, 2011

Victory and defeat are the same. I urge you to act but not to reflect on the fruit of the act. Seek detachment. Fight without desire.

Don't withdraw into solitude. You must act. Yet action mustn't dominate you. In the heart of action you must remain free from all attachment.
There's no way they're going to cut education benefits. It's pure madness if they do. It's the sole reason the Reserves can attract anybody with a pulse for its part-time nonsense. Between cutting length of summer employment, but extending the workload of every contract day (especially for instructors) and this, if it passes, will destroy the Reserves. It'll be every Reservist under the rank of WO who doesn't have a permanent class B at Brigade HQ releasing.

Even during the shittiest years of the '90s they just told guys not to show up until further notice rather than cut education benefits.

mr_selfdestruct
Jul 6, 2004

Ambrose Burnside posted:

Hell of an opportune time to float into the thread it looks like!!

I'm a metalworker by inclination/trade with very little formal training (which I absolutely cannot afford). The Materials Technician trade seems to offer a seriously thorough/comprehensive year-long course covering pretty much everything I'd ever be inclined to learn. AND, and, there's a Reserve equivalent to the position, too.
I've always held the CF as a possible job/career, but haven't thought about it seriously in years, not since I started metalworking, and this gives me an actual driver beyond "I think it'd be a decent fit for me". What sort of training would I receive in the reserves trade vs. the regular route?

I dont know much about the reserve world, but dont they off the reserve guys the opportunity to do the reg force training? I know they do it for BMQ, but I dont know about trades training. The Mat tech training DP1 isnt quite a year long, some of that training is EME branch common training. The reserve vehicle techs do not come close to the amount of training we get in the reg force, with our DP1 being 7 months and theirs being about 3 I think. Dont trust a word the recruiter says about length of course or how long you will wait for a course, they really have no idea unless they are the trade you are looking at.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
So unless I leave definitely for oversea very soon, I am strongly considering entering the CF. A few things though will heavily weigh on the scale:

Personal side:

1) How reliable are they with kosher/halal IMPs?
2) What about daily prayer times/religious holidays?
3) Keeping a full beard/wearing a headdress is a protected right in theory, is it in practice as well?

CF side:

1) How hard is it to make it in infantry? I heard that for the last few years they basically didn't accept anyone. Outside of Infantry, possibly Combat Engineer, I'm not really interested in serving elsewhere.
2) I am thinking that I would eventually like to move from Infantry to HUMINT/Int Off. as a long-term career. Any words on what they are looking for/what the interviews and selection looks like?
3) Since Canada has pulled out of Afghanistan, what is life like for people in infantry when they are not deployed? Is it just constant drills and training until a new conflict arises somewhere, basically?
4) Finally, I was told that there was a bit of a problem with racism when it comes to minorities, that the overwhelming majority of soldiers were white and that it could be a bit of a struggle for some, especially since some bases/battalions seem to have a concentration of racists/neo-nazis (though that seems to more of a problem around the French Canadians). Is it really so?

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Twee as gently caress posted:

So unless I leave definitely for oversea very soon, I am strongly considering entering the CF. A few things though will heavily weigh on the scale:

Personal side:

3) Keeping a full beard/wearing a headdress is a protected right in theory, is it in practice as well?

CF side:

1) How hard is it to make it in infantry? I heard that for the last few years they basically didn't accept anyone. Outside of Infantry, possibly Combat Engineer, I'm not really interested in serving elsewhere.
2) I am thinking that I would eventually like to move from Infantry to HUMINT/Int Off. as a long-term career. Any words on what they are looking for/what the interviews and selection looks like?
3) Since Canada has pulled out of Afghanistan, what is life like for people in infantry when they are not deployed? Is it just constant drills and training until a new conflict arises somewhere, basically?
4) Finally, I was told that there was a bit of a problem with racism when it comes to minorities, that the overwhelming majority of soldiers were white and that it could be a bit of a struggle for some, especially since some bases/battalions seem to have a concentration of racists/neo-nazis (though that seems to more of a problem around the French Canadians). Is it really so?

Personal:

1. Reliable enough. Depends on the base. You`ll probably get screwed eventually though. If you`re going combat arms it sorta sucks if you have specific meal issues. You don`t always get to choose what is being served, and not all meals are prepared for people with different eating requirements, especially with rations. Be prepared to bring your own food.

2. Same as above. They`ll respect that if you`re not doing something important, but no one`s gonna give you time during a recce patrol to go pray. Religious holidays are going to be an issue too, since for the most part you don`t really get to choose your holiday time. You can always go through the process to use your holidays but it`s pretty frowned upon from what I`ve seen.

3. Some people have huge issues with beards and it`s such a can of worms and a pain in the rear end I personally wouldn`t bother. But I also can`t grow a beard and am not religious.

CF Side:

1. It`s not terribly hard to pass infantry training, although it is challenging. You sort of get what you put into it; you can barely pass through but people aren`t going to like you much, or you can try really hard and be more successful than just passing. I think it`ll be opening up again this next fiscal year (springtime).

2. Being a brown guy who can grow a beard may help you a little when it comes to HUMINT. I don`t know much about it though.

3. Pretty much. It`ll be a 7-3 (or 8-4 or whatever depending) job. PT every day, random poo poo or busywork and sometimes training for the rest.

4. I`m a visible minority (part Chinese) and I`ve never had any serious issues (with the Canadian army, Americans are another story). People rib me all the time but they`re not serious about it. That being said, I was the only non-white sniper in the CF that I was aware of at the time. If you`re middle eastern descent you better have a thick skin, especially if you eat different food and pray and stuff.

acumen fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Feb 24, 2013

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

acumen posted:

Personal:

1. Reliable enough. Depends on the base. You`ll probably get screwed eventually though. If you`re going combat arms it sorta sucks if you have specific meal issues. You don`t always get to choose what is being served, and not all meals are prepared for people with different eating requirements, especially with rations. Be prepared to bring your own food.

2. Same as above. They`ll respect that if you`re not doing something important, but no one`s gonna give you time during a recce patrol to go pray. Religious holidays are going to be an issue too, since for the most part you don`t really get to choose your holiday time. You can always go through the process to use your holidays but it`s pretty frowned upon from what I`ve seen.

3. Some people have huge issues with beards and it`s such a can of worms and a pain in the rear end I personally wouldn`t bother. But I also can`t grow a beard and am not religious.

CF Side:

1. It`s not terribly hard to pass infantry training, although it is challenging. You sort of get what you put into it; you can barely pass through but people aren`t going to like you much, or you can try really hard and be more successful than just passing. I think it`ll be opening up again this next fiscal year (springtime).

2. Being a brown guy who can grow a beard may help you a little when it comes to HUMINT. I don`t know much about it though.

3. Pretty much. It`ll be a 7-3 (or 8-4 or whatever depending) job. PT every day, random poo poo or busywork and sometimes training for the rest.

4. I`m a visible minority (part Chinese) and I`ve never had any serious issues. People rib me all the time but they`re not serious about it. That being said, I was the only non-white sniper in the CF that I was aware of at the time. If you`re middle eastern descent you better have a thick skin, especially if you eat different food and pray and stuff.

Personal side:

Bringing my own food is not a problem, something I can deal with. As far as prayers, they can be dealt with under 10 minutes if need be, but it is a multiple times a day kind of thing. Are they a protected right? As far as beards, I am willing to deal with people who have problems with them, I basically have not touched mine since I could grow one, it's long and full and glorious so they're just jealous :colbert: As long as its a right and might only get verbal poo poo but won't be forced to touch it, that's fine.

CF side:

Oh no, I did not mean that in terms of being in a good physical state (which I more than qualify), I meant just in terms of sheer number. Someone told me that the last round of infantry recruiting, they were taking something like only 12 guys for all off Western Canada. And well yeah, not only that but also being able to speak (to various degrees) seven different languages, most of them Middle-Eastern. Not completely fluent in all of them, but plan to keep on working at them during those years before HUMINT/Int. Off. to be perfectly fluent by the time I go to the evaluation.

And 7-3/8-4 only? That doesn't sound like a lot, which is good I suppose if I plan to keep on studying on the side as well.

As far as being a sniper, how did you get there? This is the specialization I have been considering in infantry. I have been shooting in ranges for a long time now, a decent shot and I've always been attracted to the type of works sniper do (and not in the videogames type of way, in the 'actually knowing what snipers do' type of way)

In terms of training/etc... how did it go, what did they expect from you? Did you serve in combat as a sniper as well?

edit: as far as having thick skin: I think that at some point, the fact that I am willing to put my life on the line next to these guys and to serve the country should be enough to stop most of the shitheads from making too many comments after a while.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

He just means people are going to rip on you. It's all in good fun.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Personal side:

We had a Muslim guy on my gun. The Halal IMPs were incredibly reliable. Out of all of the ridiculous field time we've had, I never saw him go without one. I never saw the dude go to pray though, he said he didn't bother because the switching into clean clothes/switching back into combats was a huge pain in the rear end. As for the headdress, the Sikhs are allowed to wear their turbans but as far as the Muslim beanies(I don't know what they're called) go, I've never seen one worn.

As for the racism bit, there is a bit of serious racism, but not a lot. That being said, there are a ton of racist jokes. Almost always good natured. You just gotta rag on whites equally hard.

Edit: As for the beards, do they have the same weight in Islam as they do in the Sikh religion? I've never seen a Muslim with a beard in the CF though, so I'm going to assume you'll have to ditch it.

Ultimate Shrek Fan fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Feb 24, 2013

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Personal side:
As far as being a sniper, how did you get there? This is the specialization I have been considering in infantry. I have been shooting in ranges for a long time now, a decent shot and I've always been attracted to the type of works sniper do (and not in the videogames type of way, in the 'actually knowing what snipers do' type of way)

You ask for the course from your chain and you suck as much cock as you possibly can so that you get a slot. I've heard a lot of unflattering stories from some snipers though. Like one dude who poo poo himself because he was waiting for a target or something, I don't remember the details of the story because it was told to me at the olympics.

Frog 1.0
Jun 2, 2001

Now with 33% less Engrish
Yeah us french canadians don't like sandpeople.

I don't think It's worse on the french side that it is on the english side, i'd like to know where you get that information from.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

In terms of training/etc... how did it go, what did they expect from you? Did you serve in combat as a sniper as well?

edit: as far as having thick skin: I think that at some point, the fact that I am willing to put my life on the line next to these guys and to serve the country should be enough to stop most of the shitheads from making too many comments after a while.

Shooting isn`t really a big deal, and it`s one of those things that comes with practice. Being a person who can lay down and suffer in the snow and rain for a few days straight with little sleep and not be a miserable jerk is something a little different. Regular infantry guys get their share of lovely weather but at the end of most days they`re usually supported by vehicles or rear echelon trades. With reconnaissance specializations you better enjoy being wet and cold for a long time.

My old unit we picked the quiet, newer guys who had a positive attitude and were hard workers. I didn`t see any ball lickers stay in the sniper platoon while I was there. I lucked out and right after my battle school graduation my RSM decided to place a new guy (me) on recce course, which is a pretty uncommon thing. I did well enough there I made it to the sniper pre-course, and did well enough there to make it to sniper course, which I passed. The old sniper course, which I was on, was sorta notorious for not passing many people; the previous two courses my unit took part in had a total of 1 pass.

I could go on, and I`d need specifics, but it`s not all Shooter or Sniper Reloaded. We used to say it was 99% observation and that`s pretty much true. Operational sniping is mostly spending a long time in the middle of nowhere with a small team looking at absolutely nothing while getting rained on. And you`re on top of a mountain.

acumen fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Feb 24, 2013

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Sniper is a hard course to get, but if you truly want it you can get it. A lot of infanteers are just lazy/dumb and won't push/sign up for it. The only really hard course to get, especially from 2RCR is your jump course because you get like 2 slots per year.

If you have any questions about infantry / recce I can answer those. Being not-white and not-christian will get you made fun of. Hell, being anything gets you made fun of. Its what the Army does. Halal box lunches are loving incredible though, so you will eat like a king if you get box lunches. Halal IMP's I have never tried, but they do exist. You can always bring your own food on a field exercise though.

As to the guy who said go HUM INT, you can only change trades into intelligence, you can not direct entry. So you gotta pick something like infantry then trade after. I switched into trades from infantry into intelligence. Then you get filtered into one of the various INT disciplines after that. I go on my course next month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToeShoes
Sep 8, 2011

"Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"
I'm a white female in the military with no religious background as a vehicle tech, and in my opinion there is sexism and racism. I'm on course right now going through my DP1, and I had a MCpl that would try to hug me every time I saw him, and he would try to do things like hold (another girl on my course) a girls hand or try to get her to sit on his lap during PT.

So, as a minority you may want to expect completely racist jokes that you will not be comfortable with, with your peers or your immediate superiors, (sometimes even farther up). There are a lot of people who come from communities where they aren't comfortable with diversity, and are pretty much brought up to hate a type of person.

Though, most times, you just have to communicate that you don't like the way you are treated, and things will mostly stop.

Also, in the military, as in life, it behooves you to have a tough skin.

E: To the MCpl these things were just him joking around.

ToeShoes fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 24, 2013