Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Dominoes posted:

Set up my Stingray 5, and noticed I can't get the proper intonation on the B string; the bridge's spring is near max compression, but I need to set it back a bit further. Any ideas? Is this common/normal?

I've never run into that kind of problem... But I guess if worst comes to worst, you could cut the spring down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

niff
Jul 4, 2010

Dominoes posted:

Set up my Stingray 5, and noticed I can't get the proper intonation on the B string; the bridge's spring is near max compression, but I need to set it back a bit further. Any ideas? Is this common/normal?

This may sound silly to you, but I don't know your experience level - are you sure you're intonating in the right direction?

If you are, you may need to tighten the truss rod slightly. How much is it out by?

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

niff posted:

This may sound silly to you, but I don't know your experience level - are you sure you're intonating in the right direction?

If you are, you may need to tighten the truss rod slightly. How much is it out by?
When the half-length harmonic's in-tune at 61.7Hz, the 12th fret's at 62.3. ~16 cents

Any tighter on the truss rod and I'll get buzzing; I'm already running with a pretty straight neck and low action. I could probably lengthen the string enough to get it intonated, but it would push the spring pretty tight, which is why I'm concerned.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Feb 15, 2013

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Dominoes posted:

When the half-length harmonic's in-tune at 61.7Hz, the 12th fret's at 62.3. ~16 cents

Any tighter on the truss rod and I'll get buzzing; I'm already running with a pretty straight neck and low action. I could probably lengthen the string enough to get it intonated, but it would push the spring pretty tight, which is why I'm concerned.

How is the intonation on that string elsewhere on the neck? Could be that fret is a tad uneven in that spot?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

DrChu posted:

You looking to sell that?

I got that picture from a Talkbass thread about a guy restoring a 70s pbasss. Sorry.

But I have a Gotoh 201 bridge to unload if you're interested... :)

EDIT: Here's the other guy's thread on Talkbass. He only posted this yesterday, so you might be able to take the Badass off his hands if you're set on the Leo Quan.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/my-1976-precision-before-after-pics-958210/

Eric Cantonese fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Feb 15, 2013

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Need some purchase advice. I'm ready to start plugging my bass into something other than Rocksmith, so I'm on an amp hunt. I took a tour of local pawn shops yesterday, and came across a clean looking Ampeg BA115 for $220. I know they usually go for $350 or more. Should I go a bit over my practice amp budget, and grab it?

Clitch fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 16, 2013

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!

Clitch posted:

Need some purchase advice. I'm ready to start plugging my bass into something other than Rocksmith, so I'm on an amp hunt. I took a tour of local pawn shops yesterday, and came across a clean looking Ampeg BA115 for $220. I know they usually go for $350 or more. Should I go a bit over my practice amp budget, and grab it?

I had one, its not a bad amp at all. Just make sure you try out all of the inputs and test all of the knobs to make sure everything is in good condition. Other than that I'd say go for it if it sounds good and has no major issues.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Dumb maintenance question: Is it okay to keep my bass inside the gig bag? I put it on a stand and I have to clean it regularly because my place has a lot of dust floating around. The bass inside the bag won't fit on the stand itself, or should I just suck it up and keep cleaning it every day?

RetardedRobots
Dec 19, 2010

Have you seen this man?
Melon "Weed" Dude 1936 - 2011
Rest in peace, you shitposting bastard.
Leaving it in the bag is completely fine. Better than on the stand actually...

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
I'm a beginner-ish guitar player and I've wanted to pick up a bass and learn that too. I've read the last year or so of the posts in this thread so I've seen this same thing asked a few times but I thought I'd throw my questions into pot.

I'm going to head out to a local music store and check out the basses in person and get some hands-on time with them to see what I like the feel of. I'm fine with picking up a used bass and I generally know what to look for in a used guitar but I'm not sure if there is anything in particular I should look out for in used basses.

I've seen that the Squier VM series come highly recommended for beginners. There has been discussion regarding the differences between Precision and Jazz basses, where do the Jaguars fit into the picture?

Obviously it will come down to which one I like the feel of most, but the Ibanez SR370 was the first bass that really made me go "drat!" so are there any impressions of that bass or the not-sexy-woodgrained SR300?

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Fina posted:

I've seen that the Squier VM series come highly recommended for beginners. There has been discussion regarding the differences between Precision and Jazz basses, where do the Jaguars fit into the picture?

Jaguar basses have always been a mixed bag, to me. The body shape is definitely that of a Jaguar, but features-wise I think there's a dichotomy between Squire, who use a P-J configuration (a P-bass pickup and a J-bass single coil at the neck) with the Jazzmaster pickup control (one volume control per pickup, and a tone contol, all on a chrome plate), and Fender, who use a straight J configuration (two J-bass single coils wired in phase) with Jaguar pickup controls (lots of switches, still got that chrome plate control from the Jazzmaster). Then theres that hodgepodge of reverse models and different configurations. It's a mess.

Fina posted:

Obviously it will come down to which one I like the feel of most, but the Ibanez SR370 was the first bass that really made me go "drat!" so are there any impressions of that bass or the not-sexy-woodgrained SR300?

The biggest (and only?) difference between these two models are the body. The 370 is made of maple, and the 300 is agathis. That's why the 370 shows off its tasty woodgrain.

Maple is gonna be beautiful, and is probably a great tonewood, but it'll cost you in money and weight. It's the difference between a solid piece of hardwood and what I assume to be glued together plywood a somewhat heavier duty pinewood. My J-bass is solid alder and weighs a good sum more than my agathis P-bass.

I can't speak for the sound of the bass, I've used an Ibanez bass twice in my life, and both times I was a little too blasted to remember. One was a hollowbody, but I'm sure the other was either a 300 or something close to it. A bass is a bass is a bass, sometimes, but those humbuckers always give me the impression that they should be active and pushing a big rear end stack in some metal band.

Jeff Goldblum fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Feb 18, 2013

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!

Fina posted:

I'm a beginner-ish guitar player and I've wanted to pick up a bass and learn that too. I've read the last year or so of the posts in this thread so I've seen this same thing asked a few times but I thought I'd throw my questions into pot.

I'm going to head out to a local music store and check out the basses in person and get some hands-on time with them to see what I like the feel of. I'm fine with picking up a used bass and I generally know what to look for in a used guitar but I'm not sure if there is anything in particular I should look out for in used basses.

I've played an sr370 and its a nice bass. I personally play an Ibanez sr405 and love it but its a five string and I don't think that's what you are looking for.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Looking for recommendations on specific setup equipment to buy for my Stingray 5 with a maple fretboard.

1: Where can I find a feeler gauage template for my 11" radius board? Preferably one that measures below the strings? I've found many PDF templates online in various sizes, but never for 11".

2: What feeler gauge do you recommend? Amazon has a large selection, but I'm not sure what to go for in terms of precision and range. For example, many only go up to .6mm, but a guide I read recommended a relief height between .3 and 1mm; those wouldn't cover the high end. Ones that do are often in chunky increments. Ie: .6mm, .75mm. 1mm.

3: What oil do you recommend for use on the fretboard? I've heard to use lemon oil, but am looking for specific recommendations, since different products are marketed as "lemon oil". Some are sold in small bottles as dietary supplements, some are a mixture of mineral oils and additives that don't contain lemon oil at all, and some like this Dunlop oil are targetted at fretboard cleaning, but say not to use it on maple fretboards. I've heard elsewhere that vegetable oil will rot in wood.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Dominoes posted:

Looking for recommendations on specific setup equipment to buy for my Stingray 5 with a maple fretboard.

1: Where can I find a feeler gauage template for my 11" radius board? Preferably one that measures below the strings? I've found many PDF templates online in various sizes, but never for 11".

2: What feeler gauge do you recommend? Amazon has a large selection, but I'm not sure what to go for in terms of precision and range. For example, many only go up to .6mm, but a guide I read recommended a relief height between .3 and 1mm; those wouldn't cover the high end. Ones that do are often in chunky increments. Ie: .6mm, .75mm. 1mm.

3: What oil do you recommend for use on the fretboard? I've heard to use lemon oil, but am looking for specific recommendations, since different products are marketed as "lemon oil". Some are sold in small bottles as dietary supplements, some are a mixture of mineral oils and additives that don't contain lemon oil at all, and some like this Dunlop oil are targetted at fretboard cleaning, but say not to use it on maple fretboards. I've heard elsewhere that vegetable oil will rot in wood.

Stewart Macdonald might be the best place to look, though they're kind of expensive on most everything they sell.

http://www.stewmac.com/

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Turns out what I had taken at first glance as a BA115 was a BA115 HP. So it was half off retail, and looks practically brand new. I gave it a test, and couldn't get it home fast enough.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Clitch posted:

Turns out what I had taken at first glance as a BA115 was a BA115 HP. So it was half off retail, and looks practically brand new. I gave it a test, and couldn't get it home fast enough.

Congratulations, dude. 220 watts is a solid improvement and you even get a built in tuner, and a free set of casters, from what it looks like. I hope those are removable, though, because if you're ever going to get another 1x15 extension for that, it'd have to sit on top of your controls.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Maple fretboards are finished and don't need oiled at all. It won't do anything since it will never soak into the wood through the hard finish.
If it is just to clean the gook off of it naphtha and a soft bristle toothbrush or cloth will take care of it.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Music Man maple necks usually just have an oil finish, so it is possible for it to soak in.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Jeff Goldblum posted:

Congratulations, dude. 220 watts is a solid improvement and you even get a built in tuner, and a free set of casters, from what it looks like. I hope those are removable, though, because if you're ever going to get another 1x15 extension for that, it'd have to sit on top of your controls.

Yup. Casters just pop out. This thing is a ton of fun so far.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Dominoes posted:

Did you check the Ernie Ball forums? From what I have been able to find, people point users to this link when maple neck maintenance questions pop up:

http://www.music-man.com/faq/music-man-basses/how-do-i-maintain-the-neck-on-my-new-music-man-bass.html

Those Ernie Ball necks do feel nice. Part of me really wants to get a Sterling. Black/Black/Maple.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Pure orange oil works really well for cleaning necks. And I personally prefer a satin finish, so after cleaning, it gets a coat of clear paste wax and sanded down with some #0000 steel wool.

Trillest Parrot
Jul 9, 2006

trill parrots don't die
Anyone used a tc BG/BH250? My Fender 60 isn't cutting it anymore, and the thought of cyber-beaming effects to an amp is tickling my geek bone.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

TyChan posted:

Did you check the Ernie Ball forums? From what I have been able to find, people point users to this link when maple neck maintenance questions pop up:

http://www.music-man.com/faq/music-man-basses/how-do-i-maintain-the-neck-on-my-new-music-man-bass.html

Those Ernie Ball necks do feel nice. Part of me really wants to get a Sterling. Black/Black/Maple.
Thanks man! I went with your suggestion and bought Birchwood Casey gunstock wax, Birchwood Casey Tru Oil, and Ernie Ball Wonder Wipes.

I bought a small metal ruler for action. I bought this capo for help measuring the relief, and this feeler gauge set to measure it. I chose it because it had reviews specifically saying it works well for guitar and bass setup.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I use Formby's Lemon Oil Treatment on the maple fingerboard of my Stambaugh, which is oil finished.

The tru-oil is nice for the back of the neck.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Thinking of selling/trading my 3 month old Bongo 5 for a Fender P or J (probably a $999 geddy lee) and putting the leftover amount towards future gear. Good idea? The Bongo is just too much for me. I'd rather have passive, 4 strings, and a more traditional vintage instrument.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Kilometers Davis posted:

Thinking of selling/trading my 3 month old Bongo 5 for a Fender P or J (probably a $999 geddy lee) and putting the leftover amount towards future gear. Good idea? The Bongo is just too much for me. I'd rather have passive, 4 strings, and a more traditional vintage instrument.

If it's not what you want, then yeah, go for it. I personally don't like the sound of any MM basses... You should have no problem unloading it, a lot of people go nuts over them.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

The Lemon Song easily has the hardest - and coolest - bassline I've tried to play. I'm going to get it down!

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

I just picked up a *slightly* used Bongo for 1500. A pretty swell party for all involved I think.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Any suggestions for a cheaper, smaller bass practice amp? I don't want to blow up my Mustang 1.

cactuscarpet
Sep 12, 2011

I don't even know what rasta means.
This one's great: http://www.roland.co.uk/products/productdetails.aspx?p=940
It's even good for busking!

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost

niff posted:

I see. If it's resting on your leg it's not the weigh distribution problem, most likely.

I used to get incredibly sore shoulders and back with my Ibanez ATK with a standard width ernie ball nylon strap, and it disappeared once I got a thick, wide strap. Ridiculously heavy bass. Reaching that far can be a real strain, though, and that would be quite a concern! Try your other leg. If sitting down, I always play with it resting on my right leg, and when standing the body is always fairly far to the right on me as seen here (sorry for the shirtlessness):

I play long, repetitive riffs interspersed with pentatonic fills. My left hand is the one that tires the fastest every single time, and I need to alleviate as much wrist and shoulder strain as humanly possible in order to play an hour long set comfortably.

I hope my analysis of that actually helps you in some way.. in summary, if I am imagining this correctly, you resting the bass on your left leg is creating some serious straight on your whole left side. Switching legs may indeed fix everything, or standing with a strap with good weight disperson and bringing the bass further to your right will alleviate any over-reaching even with a longer neck.

I've struggled with similar issues in the past, here's what has helped me the most.

Play with your bass higher. I know its not as cool, but you'll be able to play longer and move up/down the neck faster. When you're fretting the 5th fret, your elbow should be bent around a 90 degree angle give or take what's comfortable.

Speaking of fretting, judging by your first picture there your left hand technique could probably use some refining. Use your "previous" fingers to help whatever finger you're using to fret the string. IE in this case, if you're fretting with your middle finger on the A string, press down with your index finger as well. It may seem counter-intuitive but you actually have work harder when you use only one finger.

Also, don't hold your thumb over the neck like that. I know those Ricks have gloriously thin necks but this kind of technique also works your hand more than you need to. You should be placing your thumb closer to the center of the neck.

Here's an exercise to help with your fingering technique.

Each line is a different fingering pattern. After each measure, transpose up a fret and continue until you get to the 12th fret (with your index) and go back down. When practicing this exercise, focus on holding down your previous fingers.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
About 2 1/2 years ago, I picked up a used bass and a small headphone amp and began working my way through Hal Leonard's Bass Method. Just as I started to see results and gain confidence, I switched jobs and got thrown into a maelstrom of constant travel, hotels, and wonky schedules. The bass sat idle at home.

Flash to now: Just pulled it out of the closet, dusted it off, and went back to square one. I forgot how frustrating it was to learn that my left hand & my right hand aren't inclined to be in sync. Oh, and my left hand feels as stiff as a board. But I'm having fun!

:rock:

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

If there's a different thread for acoustic basses I couldn't find it.

I need a replacement Bow for my Upright Bass - where is the best spot to look? Craigslist has nothing in my area, Amazon is selling them for ~$50 which I'm hoping isn't the best deal I can get.

I need it for a summer job which hardly pays anything, if I have to drop 60$ on a bow I don't know if I'll break even :smith: .

Thanks in advance.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Flash to now: Just pulled it out of the closet, dusted it off, and went back to square one. I forgot how frustrating it was to learn that my left hand & my right hand aren't inclined to be in sync. Oh, and my left hand feels as stiff as a board. But I'm having fun!

If your left and right hand are out of sync the only real way to help improve that is to just slow everything you practice way down - even scales, if you practice that sort of thing. Once your left and right hand start cooperating, then you can start building up speed.

Elephunk posted:

I need a replacement Bow for my Upright Bass - where is the best spot to look? Craigslist has nothing in my area, Amazon is selling them for ~$50 which I'm hoping isn't the best deal I can get.

I don't know myself, but there's a whole forum devoted to upright bass at the TalkBass site. Probably someone there should be able to provide an answer.

Seventh Arrow fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 1, 2013

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Yep, that's the rub. I'm trying to move through sections as fast as I did when I'd first gotten well into the Bass Method book. I'm going to focus today on slowing down, good left hand position (was cramping all last night), and striking clean notes. Oh, I also forgot about how much muting the other strings matters. I was a buzzing mess last night. :(

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

C2C - 2.0 posted:

About 2 1/2 years ago, I picked up a used bass and a small headphone amp and began working my way through Hal Leonard's Bass Method. Just as I started to see results and gain confidence, I switched jobs and got thrown into a maelstrom of constant travel, hotels, and wonky schedules. The bass sat idle at home.

Are you doing hand warm-ups? The older you get, the more they help.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

TyChan posted:

Are you doing hand warm-ups? The older you get, the more they help.

I went ahead this morning and did a few due to the cramping last night. The great thing about them is not only do they stretch my hand, the also take my focus off of any discomfort because I'm bumbling my way through it. Basic stuff like index-middle-ring-pinky on each string & back again and some 1232-2134-3124-4123 type stuff.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

If you want some good exercises for muting, you might want to check out Rufus Reid's "The Evolving Bassist." The exercises there are meant for bowing on the double bass, but you can also use them for electric. Here's a few samples:

The catch is that you have to be able to read music, though.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I'm also looking for recommendations on sheet music books to practice, either for songs I can play along with or not.

I've been playing through The Rock Bass Bible and the Hard Rock Bass Bible with background music. They've really helped me get back into playing, and the songs have varying difficulty, and present challenges in different areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Dominoes posted:

I'm also looking for recommendations on sheet music books to practice, either for songs I can play along with or not.

As mentioned, Rufus Reid's "The Evolving Bassist" is good, as is the James Jamerson book ("Standing In The Shadows Of Motown") if you don't have it already. There's John Goldsby's "Jazz Bass Book," and I also like Jerry Jemmott's "Blues And R & B Bass Techniques." I also really like "Essential Styles" Book 1 and Book 2, they can be quite challenging. I'm curious about the sight-reading studies for bass books, although I haven't tried them myself.