Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
You could just use the console to enable god mode, or give yourself enough XP to max out your combat stats.

Also, IIRC the information only covers the base game, so stuff restored by wesp isn't covered, but GameBanshee's Bloodlines site is a pretty complete resource and includes a walkthrough. Back when I first played it (holy gently caress, can that really have been 2006? Seven years ago? Agh!) that site was tremendously helpful.

Oh man, now I'm getting all nostalgic. I originally played Bloodlines on a laptop that was just about powerful enough to run Doom 3 and Half-Life 2 (it was a Christmas present because my family was concerned at the lengths I was going to to keep my old Win98 machine alive in 2005) and the load times were atrocious and the game was prone to slowdown. What's really interesting is that it didn't run choppily- instead, the action inside the game would slow down, while still looking pretty smooth. I'd really like to see more game engines do that, though obviously you can't do that online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vectorwulf
May 5, 2010
http://www.gamespot.com/vampire-the-masquerade-bloodlines/cheats/

Can pick and choose off the console command list to get by it if you want. :)

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

In 99% of the game a :flame: is as good as god mode (and a lot more satisfying).

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Just install the arsenal mod and use firearms.

RC Bandit
Sep 7, 2012

Hanson: It's Time

Grimey Drawer

Turtlicious posted:

Is there a way (a cheat even) to completely trivalize combat? I want to do another playthrough but the malk quest in the first area just leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and it gets worse in later levels.
Try playing as a Brujah or a Toreador and focus on maxing out your gun skill and celerity power. You will become a unstoppable killing machine.

If you want to trivialize combat with a Malkavian, focus on your obfuscate power so you can avoid combat until you get your gun skills up to an acceptable level (min 5 for mid game, 8 for end game). You may have to turn down the Gallery Noir quest and hold off on Knox quest until your gun skill are up to scratch.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Honestly though, I can definitely see a Malkavian 'full XP' run as being as viable as any other run, except instead of the Malkavian being a really good shot or a smooth talker, they just know where to shoot and what to say :v:

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Does anyone have a mirror for the Offkorn PnP + Clan mod? I can only find super old versions of it.

edit: Right after this I tried messing around with some of the old links and managed to find out how to get at Offkorns missing files. The 3.01 version of the clanmod is located here

Mormon Star Wars fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Mar 3, 2013

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Decided to install clan quest with camarilla 1.4 and holy poo poo i dont know why i didnt do it earlier, i love blood buff and blood heal having levels and the blood burn + toned down regen. Im still in santa monica and the rebalanced skill checks and such mean that i just had to stop with the werewolf blood mission because i cant get into the locker due to low security skill. Im being forced to feed semi regulary which while feeling a little weird given the timescale and setting makes for interesting little gameplay moments where im always on the hunt for blood and the fact i decided to go tremere is going to make it cool with blood now being much more valuable.

That said they changed the main menu music which is just inexcusable.

Demerzel
Sep 11, 2001

Only the spergiest will do.
Am finally playing this and I am still picking through this thread but carefully because I've already seen spoilers, can anyone tell me how to fix the black/purple textures bug? I have UP + a couple minor fixes posted in the first few pages and the game works and looks better than I thought at 1080p but several people just have no textures. Specifically the fat guy in the Diner and the singer in the hotel are always black/purple and I see it occasionally on other things too like Beckett's glasses and rocks outside the hotel.

I'm not sure if I'm missing textures or if it's the bug where you can't have more than 3GB memory or something like that. Does anyone know how to fix either (or which it is?). I am not sure if it's actually missing textures from some UP tweak or if it is what Google suggests about the memory. If it's memory that's weird because that means things are always loaded in a certain order so that it's reproducible instead of random. Possible, I guess, but I have no idea what I'm doing here.

Any thoughts/help appreciated.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Have you got 4+GB of RAM without using the fixer?

Demerzel
Sep 11, 2001

Pope Guilty posted:

Have you got 4+GB of RAM without using the fixer?

16GB of ram.

I don't know what the fixer is specifically referring to - I am using the True Patch .exe (read it fixes some issues UP doesn't), a modified engine.dll someone posted on like page 2 and whatever UP installs.

This is on Win8 outside of Program Files running in XP SP2 compatibility mode with DPI disabled if it matters.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

You're only suppose to use either the True Patch or the Unofficial Patch, not both.

Demerzel
Sep 11, 2001

I'm aware of that. It's install (physical) + Unofficial. The only thing from the True Patch I'm using is vampire.exe solely based on the fact that the one in the True Patch is supposed to have fixed some exe bugs the other didn't. I've tried both, obviously, before asking here.

I know this is a fairly common problem as there are tons of hits for it but what isn't fairly common is a succinct answer, most ramble about a 3GB limit though which is all I have to go on.

Demerzel fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 25, 2013

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Ah, I misunderstood your post. The missing texture error can be caused by not having bumpmapping enabled in the options menu. If it's disabled, enable it and then restart the game.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
It looks like the OP hasn't been updated in a while. The link to the graphics/lighting mod in the second post is dead.

I'm going to install the Clan Quest mod that was linked, which is now on 3.0. Is this still a recommended thing, or have things changed since 2011?

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Clan Quest Mod is still really awesome and actively worked on. Go for it.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

PureRok posted:

It looks like the OP hasn't been updated in a while. The link to the graphics/lighting mod in the second post is dead.

I'm going to install the Clan Quest mod that was linked, which is now on 3.0. Is this still a recommended thing, or have things changed since 2011?

Well, since the 3.0 release, there have been 2 new versions of Camarilla Edition and a few Unofficial Patch updates, but that's about it. It's probably still the best for modding just because it's one of, if not the only way to play with a selection of the bigger mods, so long as they do not conflict too much. This little write-up will go over what the mods in the installer do and which are incompatible.

Verloc
Feb 15, 2001

Note to self: Posting 'lulz' is not a good idea.

Turtlicious posted:

Is there a way (a cheat even) to completely trivalize combat? I want to do another playthrough but the malk quest in the first area just leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and it gets worse in later levels.
I haven't played since about 7.2 of the wesp patch so things may have changed and YMMV, but Tremere were utterly broken once you figured out how to play them right. (They're utter glass cannons, long range spam blood magic and the biggest guns you can find)

Blood strike will basically give you an infinite supply of free blood, since the gout of blood it sucks out of the target will return Blood Strike's casting cost + a small surplus to you. Your character has to be standing still when the blood drop returns to you, but only for the fraction of a second it takes to land. The hardest fight in the game for a Tremere gunslinger is the Gallery Noir fight since you only have access to lovely .38 pistols at that point, and that's just a matter of using Benny Hill tactics. Backpedal/circle strafe around the gallery spamming blood strikes and occasional blood purges / stabfests against the guardian till he goes down.

Once you get through the Santa Monica hub, Tremere really come into their own. Take Thaumaturgy up to 3 dots to get the blood armor discipline, and then focus on jacking up firearms and Auspex. Tremere aren't as good at straight up firearms brawling as Toreadors are since Tremere lack the Celerity discipline, but Thaumaturgy + guns make for a great one-two punch though. Stack auspex + good firearm skills + Blood Strike to pick things off at long range, anything that gets in your face gets a Blood Purge and then a face full of buckshot for it's trouble.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Well, I've decided I vastly prefer this game unmodded. I've noticed that each time I play this game I put mods in it and then drop it almost immediately. The only times I've played through were when the game was unmodded.

I'm not sure what it is that I don't like. I don't think I even like the fan patch. It honestly seems to make the game more buggy for me.

I was one of the people who pre-ordered the game back in 2003/4, and I played from start to end on version 1.0, or whatever the release version was. It wasn't until after I finished that I learned about people getting stuck permanently at that point with the boat in the caves (been a long time since I've been that far, don't remember what it was called). And everyone was calling it a buggy mess.

Is it the fan patch that makes the opening cutscene seem a lot more janky than I remember? There seem to be more quick cuts and a few animations that default back to the arms out, legs straight setting than I remember there being.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I don't know about the jerky animations, the UP should fix those. I experienced them once and that was when I tried the game unmodded. After talking to Jack outside the theater for the first time I found the door to the chop shop locked after he told me to go in, preventing me from progressing any further. I installed the UP and swore off playing vanilla VtMB forever. As far as other mods though, I agree with you with the exception of the Clan Quest Mod. I don't care for the changes the other mods make. Mostly though I only play with the UP.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Can you install a newer version of Wesp's patch on top of CQM or are you relegated to using the one that comes with the mod?

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

You gotta use the one that comes with the mod. Installing a newer version of the UP on top will mess things up.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Party Plane Jones posted:

Can you install a newer version of Wesp's patch on top of CQM or are you relegated to using the one that comes with the mod?

Nope. However, the modder is currently focusing on updating the current version of CQM with the newest unofficial patch.

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Does anyone have a mirror for the Offkorn PnP + Clan mod? I can only find super old versions of it.

edit: Right after this I tried messing around with some of the old links and managed to find out how to get at Offkorns missing files. The 3.01 version of the clanmod is located here

The links were provided in the .txt files linked on the main Mods page. They were never missing.

Apparently that was too indirect, so I've added them underneath the links to the text files.

Offkorn fucked around with this message at 10:59 on May 26, 2013

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I can update the OP, just haven't been replaying this in the last few years. If anyone wants to put some updates together, I can stick them in... better than annoying mods since this thread isn't that long, so a new one is silly.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
What are the go-to mods for a new playthrough? I don't want any amateur voice acting or major changes to the game (restored Content is fine.)

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Sounds like you want the Unofficial Patch Plus by Wesp.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Hey I got the urge to replay this game but it isn't working. Unmodded, I got the 15 mb error. Modded I still got it, so I switched compatibility to Windows XP2. Now it says I cannot find steam.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Lord Lambeth posted:

Hey I got the urge to replay this game but it isn't working. Unmodded, I got the 15 mb error. Modded I still got it, so I switched compatibility to Windows XP2. Now it says I cannot find steam.

There's a guide for this right on Steam

Any recommended build tips for newbie to the game? Last time I tried to play I got Downtown and got my rear end irreparably somehow. I'd like to give the game another shot but I've never had the patience for the "restart fest" part of CRPGs. :(

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

A clan with Celerity + Firearms pretty much trivializes combat, and the endgame is really combat heavy. Keep in mind it'll take a couple of Dots in Firearms and Dexterity before guns are really good, though this isn't so much an issue for the first half of the game.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

There's a guide for this right on Steam

Any recommended build tips for newbie to the game? Last time I tried to play I got Downtown and got my rear end irreparably somehow. I'd like to give the game another shot but I've never had the patience for the "restart fest" part of CRPGs. :(

Skill books can be duped. Just sell them to a merchant and then buy them back.

Nines can give you a skill up with brawl if it's less than two when you first talk to him (ask him to teach you how to fight).

Nines can also give you another skill up in melee if it's less than two after the Museum (ask him about LA).

Note: pay attention to the warning Nines gives you about dumping all your experience into social skills. It won't save your rear end when you're staring down the barrel of a shotgun.

Edit: Beckett can also give you a skill up in research if it's les than three when you meet him the second time if you ask lots of questions and find it all fascinating. It will help with the books.

Boogle fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 2, 2013

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Tremere is also really good choice for a beginner class, its what I did. Their blood magic is real powerful, especially Blood Shield, that made the sewers actually rather bearable. Also Persuade is the only social skill you need, don't waste points in the others when you should be putting them into combat skills to prepare for the last quarter of the game.

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
General advice applicable to all clans: focus on one combat skill and one social skill. Persuasion being the most useful, but it's fun to try another playthrough with just seduction or intimidate.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don't like Tremere for a starting clan, as I think Disciplines that you have to aim-and-shoot are inherently trickier. I like Ventrue, Brujah, and Toreador for starting since they have all passive boost Disciplines. Toreador is particularly cool if you want to focus on melee early on (the Celerity and Presence will save your rear end) and put points in firearms later (since firearms don't get awesome until later in the game).

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Following that guide got it to work, but Clan Quest Mod doesn't seem to work.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Boogle posted:

General advice applicable to all clans: focus on one combat skill and one social skill. Persuasion being the most useful, but it's fun to try another playthrough with just seduction or intimidate.

Yeah your clan pretty much affects how you kill things. Not that you can't go "against type" and it can be fun to do so, but largely you miss out a lot of the fun of the class by not playing to its strength I feel.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Play Ventrue, max out Fortitude and Dominate. Never bother with social skills, always Dominate when given the option and it makes sense. (there is one exception) Use Suicide/Mass Suicide with reckless abandon. Laugh as bullets bounce off of you. Use whatever weapon you want. Max out Brawl and use Nines and the book to save experience. Enjoy being able to feed in the middle of shootouts because of the aforementioned bullets bouncing off of you. Take Hacking, hack everything. Lockpicking is also smart.

The second time play as a Malkavian and replace Dominate and Fortitude with Dementation and Obfuscate, respectively.

That is the best way to experience the game for the first time. :colbert:

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 2, 2013

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Gangrel, max out Fortitude and Stamina and buff Protean until you get Claws of the Wild. gently caress guns, gently caress stealth, gently caress talking, just walk in the front door and kill everything that looks at you funny. :black101:

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

So I just picked up this game for the first time, grabbed the unofficial patch and plan on rolling with Nosferatu. Is there a trick to moving around without being seen, also are there skills I should always try to level up in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Fat_Cow posted:

So I just picked up this game for the first time, grabbed the unofficial patch and plan on rolling with Nosferatu. Is there a trick to moving around without being seen, also are there skills I should always try to level up in?

You get a power to turn invisible but with a bit of practice you can figure out where youre allowed to walk without triggering masquerade violations (i.e. the middle of the street). There's no reason you CAN'T but I think Nosferatu benefits from a second pass once you know the map better. Not being able to talk to every NPC will make you lose out on some side content.

As for skills, everything has a use but inspection. Don't even bother. Otherwise pick a combat skill and stick with it exclusively. Nosferatu can use anything well, really, so just decide what might be most fun (note that guns, while very good in the end game have an INCREDIBLY long run before theyre of any use).

• Locked thread