Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
So here's another update. I just got my diploma today and I'm on top of the world! In the meanwhile, I haven't gotten a call from the job agency or any of the places I've applied to. I did call back with the Starbucks and talked directly with the store manager who took down my name and number and said that she's going through the applications and would keep me in mind. Right now I'm sending out resumes and filling out applications online. And there's a really sweet opportunity working at a local police department as a date entry clerk. The same police department where my uncle works as an officer. The thing is I need to get a certification to prove I can type at least 40 words per minute. I checked here on campus and at my job agency and both said they don't offer a test for certification. Does anybody know how to get said certification?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Community College or an EDD office.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010
It sounds like you're taking the advice to apply broadly, but I'll just note that advice like the advice you received from your campaign manager is frequently flawed, for several reasons:

1. When they graduated, they likely graduated into a better economy than the current one.

2. When they graduated, the value of a B.A. degree (or other degrees) hadn't yet been diluted as it has now, particularly (and not to start anything here, I'm a history major myself) liberal arts degrees with majors such as English or History.

3. Their job prospects, should they lose their present positions, are so far different, due to accumulated experience and contacts, from those of a recent graduate that they really have no understanding of the job market facing those without their qualifications.

This results in potentially bad advice such as "you're too good for [X job]." That isn't to say you shouldn't keep looking for your ideal position, but I wouldn't use advice like that from your campaign manager as an excuse to stay away from productive employment that could help alleviate your immediate problems.

Sir John Falstaff fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Feb 17, 2013

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Benny the Snake posted:

So here's another update. I just got my diploma today and I'm on top of the world! In the meanwhile, I haven't gotten a call from the job agency or any of the places I've applied to.

In the case of the agency in particular, don't wait for them to contact you. You should be calling them once or twice a week (unless they specifically say otherwise). And if there are multiple branch offices of that agency, once you've applied at one, you're usually eligible to work through any of them, but you need to contact each branch individually.

Agencies are a bit different from applying to individual jobs, where you have to balance persistence against the possibility of wearing out your welcome; the agency wants to place you in a job as much as you want to get a job, but they need frequent reminders that you exist and are still interested, and quite often, pinning them down on the phone will get them to check to see if anything that fits you has come in recently.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!
I worked at a Ralph Lauren after graduating from college. And I had a BS in chemical engineering from a top university. A bible college dropout ordered me around all summer. Trust me, almost nothing is beneath you.

I read this entire thread OP, and I don't really know what to say except that you need to keep going and going. Trust us when we say that this isn't a permanent situation, and things will look up once you have a steady income. You're back to living at home right? I'd recommend staying out of your house as much as possible during the day (are there any places with free wi-fi around?) and basically treat your home like a free bed at night except when you're doing chores/helping out.

Have you considered going back to school to earn a degree in something more employable (not another BA but some sort of professional masters)? What's your ultimate career goal?

Also, I'm sort of surprised no one has yelled at the OP to join the military. That used to be one of the top three recommendations in threads like this.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

SA's become fairly anti-military lately. If you don't want to be called a murderer for hire you stay in the GiP ghetto.
I don't think I could with good conscious recommend the military to anyone. It's a loving awful institution where you can either get killed for no reason, or have to kill other people for no reason. Worse still, a lot of people coming out of the military end up brainwashed into thinking there actually were good reasons for their killing or hosed up with PTSD.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Benny the Snake posted:

And there's a really sweet opportunity working at a local police department as a date entry clerk. The same police department where my uncle works as an officer.

I'm assuming this is the same uncle you confided in and responded with "Well look at it from your mom's point of view. You can't blame her... (etc, etc :jerkbag:)." As long as your uncle doesn't bring up your personal life and You don't bring up your personal life this sounds like a good opportunity. Someone else mentioned community college which is one place I know of that does certifications like that. I know of another place which is like a testing center. I went there for some certs I needed. Not sure what to call it other than a Testing Center, but yeah those places exist.

Good on you for taking initiative. Just keep going and don't lose sight of your goal.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

I'm assuming this is the same uncle you confided in and responded with "Well look at it from your mom's point of view. You can't blame her... (etc, etc :jerkbag:)." As long as your uncle doesn't bring up your personal life and You don't bring up your personal life this sounds like a good opportunity. Someone else mentioned community college which is one place I know of that does certifications like that. I know of another place which is like a testing center. I went there for some certs I needed. Not sure what to call it other than a Testing Center, but yeah those places exist.

Good on you for taking initiative. Just keep going and don't lose sight of your goal.
This is a different uncle: his name's Bob and he's the beat cop. And yeah, I'm going to take my certification tomorrow. Right after I show up to an interview for a tutoring job.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

Pfirti86 posted:

I worked at a Ralph Lauren after graduating from college. And I had a BS in chemical engineering from a top university. A bible college dropout ordered me around all summer. Trust me, almost nothing is beneath you.

I read this entire thread OP, and I don't really know what to say except that you need to keep going and going. Trust us when we say that this isn't a permanent situation, and things will look up once you have a steady income. You're back to living at home right? I'd recommend staying out of your house as much as possible during the day (are there any places with free wi-fi around?) and basically treat your home like a free bed at night except when you're doing chores/helping out.

Have you considered going back to school to earn a degree in something more employable (not another BA but some sort of professional masters)? What's your ultimate career goal?

Also, I'm sort of surprised no one has yelled at the OP to join the military. That used to be one of the top three recommendations in threads like this.

For what it's worth, folks may find it harder to join the military now. A friend of mine had to wait for months to get into the Navy. I'm not sure if it's MOSes in particular or overall (though, a lot of folks don't seem to be able to reup like before). I know a lot of things are being frozen until Congress gets its butt in gear so folks can get paid.

Also, joining the military is a pretty serious decision and should be treated as such. I'm not OMG ANTI-MILITARY (sadly, due to asthma, I lost out on my shot), but I do think it is a decision to be taken seriously. Some people thrive in that environment and some do not. As with anything, there's pros and cons for everybody. Some folks come out of it very messed up, and some do not. 20 years in the Navy tore my dad up pretty well.

And I have to say getting a degree then being unemployed is a terrible feeling. I honestly wish I'd picked a more employable major- even if I enjoyed getting my degree. Job hunting IS a full time job, and hitting BFC to work on your resume, set up a LinkedIn, and see what job openings might suit you. If you've some money saved up getting that fellow who edits resumes might be a good investment, too.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Aerofallosov posted:

For what it's worth, folks may find it harder to join the military now. A friend of mine had to wait for months to get into the Navy. I'm not sure if it's MOSes in particular or overall (though, a lot of folks don't seem to be able to reup like before). I know a lot of things are being frozen until Congress gets its butt in gear so folks can get paid.

Also, joining the military is a pretty serious decision and should be treated as such. I'm not OMG ANTI-MILITARY (sadly, due to asthma, I lost out on my shot), but I do think it is a decision to be taken seriously. Some people thrive in that environment and some do not. As with anything, there's pros and cons for everybody. Some folks come out of it very messed up, and some do not. 20 years in the Navy tore my dad up pretty well.

And I have to say getting a degree then being unemployed is a terrible feeling. I honestly wish I'd picked a more employable major- even if I enjoyed getting my degree. Job hunting IS a full time job, and hitting BFC to work on your resume, set up a LinkedIn, and see what job openings might suit you. If you've some money saved up getting that fellow who edits resumes might be a good investment, too.
I've talked to a couple of guys who served. Most of them recommended it for the benefits: how it would provide me with employment, build character, and instill discipline. But listening to the things they went through in open conflict made me rethink it. A couple of things that I dare not repeat out of consideration for the parties involved. And after hearing about the death of American Sniper author Chris Kyle, I read how it takes 20 years of service for full retirement benefits. I'm not a fighter. I'm not the kind of person that would want to enact violence against another person, nor would I wish violence against another person. I wouldn't want to serve in the military out of that simple fact. I have nothing but the utmost respect for those who have and still do but I just can't see myself in that position.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
Is the Peace Corps an option for you?

April
Jul 3, 2006

Have you tried any temp agencies, like Manpower? The work & pay are usually pretty meh, but it's a good way to build up a resume quickly.

almightyerin
Apr 16, 2007

The one the only. Accept no substitutes.
Edit: Never mind, just ignore me. I got Manpower confused with the "rent-a-crackhead" daily work daily pay agency.

almightyerin fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Feb 19, 2013

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

razz posted:

Yeah I'll look into that. Probably later on.

April posted:

Have you tried any temp agencies, like Manpower? The work & pay are usually pretty meh, but it's a good way to build up a resume quickly.
Allready applied to a job agency where I have friends working. I'm gonna call them today and see if there's any progress.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
I've had good luck with the job agencies/Manpower type places. They got me a job working as a veterinarian's assistant that paid 3-4 bucks above minimum wage which was good enough for me at the time!

Also every week I had to go pick up my paycheck at the place and if I hadn't missed a day of work that week I got to spin the prize wheel! And win a candy bar or some other bullshit. That's how lovely your average worker is. So lovely that you get rewarded with candy for simply showing up to work on time!

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Benny the Snake posted:

I'm not a fighter. I'm not the kind of person that would want to enact violence against another person, nor would I wish violence against another person. I wouldn't want to serve in the military out of that simple fact. I have nothing but the utmost respect for those who have and still do but I just can't see myself in that position.

There's so many jobs in the military that don't involve combat. You can be a paper pusher, work in IT, work as a board op for the TV station where you just make the shows play all day, work in a kitchen, post office worker, etc. They aren't all combat or combat related.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

razz posted:

The Peace Corps takes forever to get into, so if he's looking to move out in the next 6 months he ought to look elsewhere.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

razz posted:

Also every week I had to go pick up my paycheck at the place and if I hadn't missed a day of work that week I got to spin the prize wheel! And win a candy bar or some other bullshit. That's how lovely your average worker is. So lovely that you get rewarded with candy for simply showing up to work on time!

We never had a prize wheel, but in my temping days, you would have thought I walked on water with these people just because I showed up and was capable of following simple directions.

Temping is really hit or miss, but it's always the first thing I recommend to people who are looking for work (and the first thing I did on those occasions when I have found myself in that state).

April
Jul 3, 2006

Temping through Manpower was great for me. Show up on time, do what you're told, dress/act as professionally as you can, and you will keep moving to the top of their list for new assignments. I also got a LOT of diverse experience that I was able to parlay into better and better jobs down the road.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

razz posted:

I've had good luck with the job agencies/Manpower type places. They got me a job working as a veterinarian's assistant that paid 3-4 bucks above minimum wage which was good enough for me at the time!

Its amazing how you can become the golden boy in retail as a high schooler just by showing up.

April
Jul 3, 2006

For some reason, I don't have an edit button here at work, so I'm going to add, my husband also started out as a temp when he first graduated with an associate's degree in computer engineering. His first temp job was basically data entry for a bank, but he got hired on with the bank later and moved into their operations department, which was much more in line with his degree. He was able to get much better jobs later, as a result of having that on his resume.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I had a wonderful experience today. I had to ride on the bus for an hour and a half to get typing certification. When I explained to the agent how far I had to go, he waived the fee. The place was a Christian organization with inspirational images and whatnot around and I felt touched that someone had done something truly Christian.

Anyway I scored 66 words per minute with a 98% accuracy rate. The data entry clerk position with the police required at least 40 wpm. Not sure about the accuracy rate. But I'm very confident that I'll get this job. Uncle Bob could be the one to do my interview and background check. If I get this job, I have every intention to give it my extra-best. It's one thing to get a job through a connection, it's another thing to work in the same department with said connection. Besides, Bob's a consummate professional and a conservative hardass. I'll get no favoritism.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Did you get it?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Dr_Amazing posted:

Did you get it?
I won't know until maybe next week. In the meantime, I'm continuing my job search and putting in more time into the internship. Interestingly enough, my aunt (his wife) told me Uncle Bob will most likely be the one to do my backround check and interview. I'm not going to count my chickens before they're hatched, but I feel pretty good about my chances.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
You know, I had hoped that things would calm down. That maybe, just maybe, I wouldn't have to get involved again with my family's bullshit so soon. But leave it to my selfish rear end in a top hat of a brother Danny to gently caress things up and instigate more drama.

Last night, Mom had told me that the rear end in a top hat had put $300 on her tab to pay for tuition and books. And he's not receiving financial aid. So guess who has to step in and loan $300? Oh, but I'm not loaning it to Danny: technically I'm loaning it to mom who's the middleman. She'd make the payments on his behalf starting when he finds a job.

Goons, I don't trust him one bit. He's irresponsible and puts himself above others. Glass houses? Sure but at least I'm self-aware enough to know when I'm being an rear end in a top hat myself. When I pointed out how I'm contributing to this family $50 a month even though I don't have a job, the fucker shouted "So what? You want me to sell my soul?!" Danny's really good at that-martyring himself so he can play victim and pass the blame along. I wanted to charge interest. Or at least institute penalty fees. I'm making this loan at a risk even with Mom acting as co-signer. She may promise me regular payments but where's it going to come from? All Danny's going to do when he finds a job is spend every last dollar of his paycheck so he can spite me.

I don't need this. Especially today when I have an interview for a job. Office/warehouse assistant position, min. wage, 9-5:30, three days a week. It's a start. I want this job. I don't want to lend anybody money. So I'm drawing up a written contract. No interest or penalties: just a written agreement that I can store away. If this was my sister or Mom I wouldn't be doing this. But because of who Danny is, I'm not giving out a single dollar until everybody involved signs.

The contract is simple: I loan $300 to Mom on Danny's behalf. As co-signer, Mom will provide payments of $100 over three months even if Danny defaults. Danny will in turn pay Mom $100 a month before she makes payments to me. Payments will not start until Danny secures employment and regular income. I've got a draft ready for everybody to look at before printing.

I hate, hate, my loving family.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Mar 4, 2013

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
$300 is a huge risk to you? Walk to loving McDonalds and get a job and try being an adult for a day.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Benny the Snake posted:

You know, I had hoped that things would calm down. That maybe, just maybe, I wouldn't have to get involved again with my family's bullshit so soon. But leave it to my selfish rear end in a top hat of a brother Danny to gently caress things up and instigate more drama.

Last night, Mom had told me that the rear end in a top hat had put $300 on her tab to pay for tuition and books. And he's not receiving financial aid. So guess who has to step in and loan $300? Oh, but I'm not loaning it to Danny: technically I'm loaning it to mom who's the middleman. She'd make the payments on his behalf starting when he finds a job.

Goons, I don't trust him one bit. He's irresponsible and puts himself above others. Glass houses? Sure but at least I'm self-aware enough to know when I'm being an rear end in a top hat myself. When I pointed out how I'm contributing to this family $50 a month even though I don't have a job, the fucker shouted "So what? You want me to sell my soul?!" Danny's really good at that-martyring himself so he can play victim and pass the blame along. I wanted to charge interest. Or at least institute penalty fees. I'm making this loan at a huge risk even with Mom acting as co-signer. She may promise me regular payments but where's it going to come from? All Danny's going to do when he finds a job is spend every last dollar of his paycheck so he can spite me.

I don't need this. Especially today when I have an interview for a job. Office/warehouse assistant position, min. wage, 9-5:30, three days a week. It's a start. I want this job. I don't want to lend anybody money. So I'm drawing up a written contract. No interest or penalties: just a written agreement that I can store away. If this was my sister or Mom I wouldn't be doing this. But because of who Danny is, I'm not giving out a single dollar until everybody involved signs.

The contract is simple: I loan $300 to Mom on Danny's behalf. As co-signer, Mom will provide payments of $100 over three months even if Danny defaults. Danny will in turn pay Mom $100 a month before she makes payments to me. Payments will not start until Danny secures employment and regular income. I've got a draft ready for everybody to look at before printing.

I hate, hate, my loving family.

Why are you feeding in to the drama by agreeing to this loan?

"No, sorry mom. I don't have a job yet. It'd be irresponsible for me to loan you or Danny any money."

bunnybean
Mar 31, 2010

You know saying "no" is an option, right?

And why would you make the loan contingent on being paid when he finds a job? A loan company wouldn't do that. You have 90 days. Boom.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Masonity posted:

Why are you feeding in to the drama by agreeing to this loan?

"No, sorry mom. I don't have a job yet. It'd be irresponsible for me to loan you or Danny any money."
Keeping peace. I told mom to go to somebody else in the family and she told me she wasn't going to becuase nobody else has $300 to lend. That and $300 gone means no groceries for three months.

bunnybean posted:

And why would you make the loan contingent on being paid when he finds a job? A loan company wouldn't do that. You have 90 days. Boom.
Because I'm not a loan company and I have no interest in being one to anybody.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 4, 2013

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.
As a general life rule, never lend money to family/friends that you are not willing to consider a gift. Don't expect that $300 back and if you do get it back: nice bonus for you.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

reflex posted:

As a general life rule, never lend money to family/friends that you are not willing to consider a gift. Don't expect that $300 back and if you do get it back: nice bonus for you.
I'm going to mull this over. Tonight is when we all get together and discuss this. I'm leaning towards tearing up the contract and making this not a loan but a gift since I can't even trust him to pay anybody back even with a job.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

He's not receiving financial aid at all? How on earth did he manage that? If your family doesn't have much in the way of income (which, as I recall, they don't) he should qualify for all kinds of financial aid.

If nothing else, let him get a student loan like all the rest of us had to do.

Oh, and are you being pressured by your mom (or anyone else) to lend them the money, or are you taking this on yourself? If the latter, then don't do it. (If the former, also don't do it). Lending money to family is rarely a good idea even when the family relationship is otherwise stable, which this one really isn't.

Edit: Yeah, making it a gift (with the understanding that this never ever happens again) makes the most sense. You're not in a position to keep your family afloat financially all on your lonesome, and they have no right to expect it of you just because you've been contributing to the family coffers while jobless. What are they going to do when you move out? (And that's 'when', not 'if', right? RIGHT? Right.)

docbeard fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 4, 2013

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
At the end of the day, she left him with access to her credit.

If she desperately needs the $300 now to avoid interest or something, just call it a 6 month advance on your $50 a month.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Masonity posted:

At the end of the day, she left him with access to her credit.

If she desperately needs the $300 now to avoid interest or something, just call it a 6 month advance on your $50 a month.
That's a good idea.

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS
Sending you SUPER good vibes for that warehouse job interview and any/all other job opportunities!

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Hey OP, what happened to Uncle Cop's clerk gig?

CardiacEnzymes
Mar 27, 2010

Benny the Snake posted:

That's a good idea.

Great because your little "contract" won't mean anything to anyone but you and nothing will come of it.

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.

CardiacEnzymes posted:

Great because your little "contract" won't mean anything to anyone but you and nothing will come of it.

Don't judge. He might be able to take his family to court for $300 and still have self-respect.

almightyerin
Apr 16, 2007

The one the only. Accept no substitutes.
OP why you so litigious anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jizznastics
Apr 1, 2012
irritating
I told you your brother was a poo poo heel.

Get a job at some fast food joint and stop crying about the 300$ you agreed to loan to your shithead family members.

• Locked thread