Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Master_Odin posted:

Does anyone know why google docs would be crashing within Chrome (and only chrome, but not incognito mode in chrome). This only happens when opening a doc or trying to create one (doesn't matter format). The following error pops up:

I have to hit cancel about 4 times (if I hit okay, it auto-refreshes after hitting okay 4 times, and doesn't show the next box long), and then get this:

This only happens in Google Chrome (works in IE!), and happens whether I'm using Windows 8 or Arch-Linux. Using: Version 24.0.1312.68.

If it works fine in incognito mode, but not in a regular window, it's most likely a misbehaving extension. I'd start disabling any enabled extensions one at a time and see when it starts working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
EDIT: ^^^ :argh:

Master_Odin posted:

Does anyone know why google docs would be crashing within Chrome (and only chrome, but not incognito mode in chrome). This only happens when opening a doc or trying to create one (doesn't matter format). The following error pops up:

I have to hit cancel about 4 times (if I hit okay, it auto-refreshes after hitting okay 4 times, and doesn't show the next box long), and then get this:

This only happens in Google Chrome (works in IE!), and happens whether I'm using Windows 8 or Arch-Linux. Using: Version 24.0.1312.68.

If it happens in chrome but not incognito, it'll be a bum extension. Disable them all and enable them one-by-one until you find the one causing the problem.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

Penguissimo posted:

If it works fine in incognito mode, but not in a regular window, it's most likely a misbehaving extension. I'd start disabling any enabled extensions one at a time and see when it starts working.
Welp I'm an idiot who didn't there's actually an option to say whether an extension can run in incognito. I'm also an idiot for not fully understanding on of my extensions and its whitelist :v:

Thanks.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

Anybody else had an issue with JavaScript links not doing anything in Chrome recently? Any corporate website I go to with pretty graphics and poo poo is entirely non-responsive to clicks. I have to right-click and open in a new tab to actually follow any links. This only started happening a few days ago and I have no idea what happened (of that its even a JavaScript gently caress up) but its getting really annoying that i can't actually click on anything.

My computer is getting kinda old and has been acting up lately, but all those sites seem to work fine in IE or whatever so I'm assuming its Chrome. Oh and my Chrome is up to date as well.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Is there any way to make Chrome's URL suggestion behaviour more like Firefox's? For example, if I type 'Ga' into Firefox the first suggestion is Games, which I visit often, but in Chrome it's Gamefaqs, which I haven't visited in weeks.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

Mozi posted:

Is there any way to make Chrome's URL suggestion behaviour more like Firefox's? For example, if I type 'Ga' into Firefox the first suggestion is Games, which I visit often, but in Chrome it's Gamefaqs, which I haven't visited in weeks.

Fauxbar.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Is there a way to keep some preferences computer-specific? I want to Adblock forums avatars on my computer at work but not on my computer at home. This is for perfectly legitimate reasons, not relating to slacking off at all.

Alligator
Jun 10, 2009

LOCK AND LOAF
Is there a way to get chrome to completely forget an autocomplete URL? I've removed the link from the history and tried shift+delete but it still autocompletes it

Essentially it completes to someurl.com/<a particular page> every time and I want it to complete to the root URL instead.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

withak posted:

Is there a way to keep some preferences computer-specific? I want to Adblock forums avatars on my computer at work but not on my computer at home. This is for perfectly legitimate reasons, not relating to slacking off at all.

I don't believe so but I just disable them in the forum options and then switch them back on at home. It's only like 3/4 clicks.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
For some reason when I search for a video on youtube, I no longer get no results?

It will say I have like 100+ results but nothing actually appears on the page like before. It's just blank, no video title\thumbnail\summary? Anyone else experiencing this? I know there was a Chrome update not too long ago.

Works fine in Safari.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Is there a reason in the past week the "Other Device" feature on a new tab stopped working? I liked using it to move pages from the laptop to the desktop, but on the laptop it still listing old pages from last week, while the desktop just shows nothing.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Late but thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
Chrome just started crashing over and over again after I open two or more tabs; I try to click the second or third tab as it's loading and the whole window just greys out and says Chrome has become unresponsive.

I'm on 24.0.1312.57 m on Windows 7 x64.

What can I do?

Ah ha, it was PlayClaw (which must have hooked into Chrome since it has some form of hardware acceleration).

fookolt fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 14, 2013

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Any way to get a working, up to date mouse gesture extension for Chrome 24.0.1312.60 m?

Leempi
Apr 28, 2003

Am I crazy or did I loose the ability to delete an extension? Shouldn't there be a little trash icon there, or a remove link?

This is on Chrome 24.0.1312.57

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I'm up-to-date and I still have the trashcans, FWIW. Version 24.0.1312.57 m

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Leempi posted:

Am I crazy or did I loose the ability to delete an extension? Shouldn't there be a little trash icon there, or a remove link?

This is on Chrome 24.0.1312.57

Mouse over where the trash can should be (to the right of the Enabled label). Still that's super weird.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
What is it with chrome having the worst spell checker on the face of the earth? It's almost incapable of suggesting the correct word for a misspelling.

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

Are you typing stuff like "frst fgt lb he mon"?

Because that might be the issue.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Thingyman posted:

Are you typing stuff like "frst fgt lb he mon"?

Because that might be the issue.

It fails to suggest the correct spelling for 95% of spelling mistakes I make.

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

So...yes?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Did chrome recently remove the scroll bar from the right hand side? I'm no longer seeing it and would like to get it back.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

It fails to suggest the correct spelling for 95% of spelling mistakes I make.

You can right click in a text box and under spellchecker options check "Ask Google for suggestions". I don't know if that makes it better though. It seems reasonably good to me. Maybe you even have the spellchecker turned off? There's a check for that too.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Google just advertised a goddamn Chromebook on my home/bookmark screen. Is that a sign of things to come? If in future I'm already getting hammered with ads before even having surfed to a single URL, I'll gladly go back to Firefox.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Does anyone know a way to get a html5 player instead of the flash one on colbertnation.com or thedailyshow.com? The flash player is complete rubbish and Safari uses the html5 player automatically on those two sites which is a godsend, but I'd love to have it for Chrome as well seeing as how Chrome natively supports html5. I found a greasemonkey script that changes the Gametrailers flash player to the html5 one -- the Gametrailers flash player is the same horrid one TDS/TCR uses and I was wondering if it's possible to modify it to work on those two sites too.

Or is there a html5 option on those sites that I completely missed? :ohdear:

dumbmrblah
May 31, 2003

Anybody else seeing a lot more ads today? I have latest version of Adblock plus installed and chrome 24.0.1312.57

Edit: fixed it by uninstalling/reinstalling adblock plus

dumbmrblah fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Feb 16, 2013

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
How the hell to I stop Chrome from hijacking the mailto: URI handler? This is loving annoying and breaks a function in a Windows 8 app of mine.

Gherkin Jerkin
Jan 22, 2006

With great power, comes great crunchability...
Google searches are randomly not loading. Just leaves a new, empty, eternally-loading white page. When the problem pops up it will stall searches typed into the omnibox, right-clicks to search a highlighted word/phrase, and even just typing https://www.google.com

Tracked it down to Adblock (not plus; switched back when subscriptions weren't reliably updating). Turning the extentsion off and on will seem to make Google searches work properly for some time, but then revert to improper behavior, in the same browsing session even. Is it safe to whitelist Google for now? Anyone having this problem?

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

lol internet. posted:

For some reason when I search for a video on youtube, I no longer get no results?

It will say I have like 100+ results but nothing actually appears on the page like before. It's just blank, no video title\thumbnail\summary? Anyone else experiencing this? I know there was a Chrome update not too long ago.

Works fine in Safari.
Turn off your extensions, one of them is probably doing this. If results come back after turning the extentions off then turn them on one by one.

Rirse posted:

Is there a reason in the past week the "Other Device" feature on a new tab stopped working? I liked using it to move pages from the laptop to the desktop, but on the laptop it still listing old pages from last week, while the desktop just shows nothing.
Try readding your Google account on the desktop. It sounds like it's either forgotten your account or just needs to be reminded who's boss around here.

The Lord Bude posted:

What is it with chrome having the worst spell checker on the face of the earth? It's almost incapable of suggesting the correct word for a misspelling.
By default Chrome does not use Google to spell check, even when you turn that feature on it still sucks. You can turn it on by going into Settings->Advanced Settings->Privacy->"Use a web service to help resolve spelling errors."

Harminoff posted:

Did chrome recently remove the scroll bar from the right hand side? I'm no longer seeing it and would like to get it back.
Check your extensions, there's a few that will remove your scrollbar. One could be bugging out and doing it too. Turn them all off and if it comes back then you know it was one of your extensions. You'll then need to go through the tedious task of turning them back on one by one until your scroll bar vanishes.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Ever since I upgraded to Windows 8 Chrome (stable) has been hanging on me. A tab will hang while loading, and get stuck on the spinning cursor. I can't close it or refresh or anything, but I can switch to another tab. Disabling all my extensions fixes the problem, but it seems like enabling any one of them makes it come back. So... I'm confused.

(Also it didn't sync my carefully managed search list :( )

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid

Yaos posted:

Turn off your extensions, one of them is probably doing this. If results come back after turning the extentions off then turn them on one by one.

Thanks for the reply. Was strange, after I cleared the cache everything seemed to work fine.

Anyways, I have another issue. I have a feeling Chrome might of changed the behaviour of opening links in new tabs in the latest release.

On some website it works and some websites it doesn't.

Basically when I click on a link, I use to hold the left CTRL button and when I left clicked the mouse, it would open the link in a new tab I haven't added or changed any extensions at all for the longest time so I don't think it's an extension. I have a feeling they made a change in the software as I think it started to happen after the recent chrome update. Did anyone else have this issue? I'm on OSX Chrome, Mountain Lion.

lol internet. fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Feb 18, 2013

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
It opens in a new tab for me in the latest version of Chrome. I don't know what it did before that though since I never knew you could do that. :eek:

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
I got tired of SA threads that have a bunch of inlined videos making the browser hang terribly, so I made an extension to make inline YouTube videos on the forums ultra lightweight -- it loads the video thumbnail as a regular image and overlays a play button and the video title on top, and defers creating the actual video player until you click on it. Posting it here in case anyone else finds it useful.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

biznatchio posted:

I got tired of SA threads that have a bunch of inlined videos making the browser hang terribly, so I made an extension to make inline YouTube videos on the forums ultra lightweight -- it loads the video thumbnail as a regular image and overlays a play button and the video title on top, and defers creating the actual video player until you click on it. Posting it here in case anyone else finds it useful.

Switching flash to click to play works well too.

Stellar Curiosity
Jan 15, 2009

I am having problems with viewing images, a lot of them show up like this:

Photo sharing sites such as imgur and tinypic show up like this:

I have deleted the cache for both java and chrome. Uninstalled and reinstalled chrome. Disabled all extensions.
No luck. Any tips?

Win7 with the latest edition of chrome.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I've had a similar experience on my Win8 computer with Chrome recently. I'm just using the regular channel. Usually just refreshing fixes it, but sometimes it takes five attempts for everything to finally appear. Just started late last week I think.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

That sounds like a general internet problem, maybe DNS? If you get a page like that and open Developer Tools in the Tools menu, and go to the network tab, when you load a page you'll get a list of all the items that were loaded and how long it took for each. You can hover over the little graph and get a breakdown for each item, it should give you some clues.

But yeah, was that broken image from imgur? The broken imgur page is a missing stylesheet (.css file) so you might be having trouble reaching their domain. If it's consistent, check with another browser if you can, to see if it's a Chrome issue or just crap internet

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

biznatchio posted:

Neat, although you can also just toggle the option "Show video embedded in posts with the [video] tag?" on SA in your User Control Panel -> Edit Options. I just see the link with a tiny movie icon next to it.

PS: You wrote "browser hands" instead of hangs on your extension description.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Pilsner posted:

Neat, although you can also just toggle the option "Show video embedded in posts with the [video] tag?" on SA in your User Control Panel -> Edit Options. I just see the link with a tiny movie icon next to it.

PS: You wrote "browser hands" instead of hangs on your extension description.

I like seeing the video thumbnails inline. Dumb as it may be, I'll often decide whether or not I want to watch a video based on the thumbnail image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

If I have Flash installed, should I disable either Chrome's native flash plugin or the Adobe Flash plugin? I'm having a problem on YouTube whereby my videos play up to a certain point and freeze completely. I have to click on the navigation bar to make it restart buffering. And then sometimes having about five videos open makes Flash crash altogether. Seriously loving thing sucks

Also is Adblock Plus still have memory leaks? I was using it last year and it slowed Chrome to an unbelievable extent with its leaks. I'm using plain Adblock now. It doesn't block as many ads but at least it doesn't seem to leak memory.

Vegetable fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 20, 2013