Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

A lot of the links in the article 404, unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

slogsdon posted:

A lot of the links in the article 404, unfortunately.

And it's from a few years ago, so it doesn't include any recent antics including the federal investigations. Oh well.

HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006

BatteredFeltFedora posted:

Some eedjit posted a pro-Arpaio thing on Facebook. I've debated with her before and I suspect she just doesn't know the real story. For the lazy, is there an Arpaio-bomb or equivalent anywhere that I can send to her to let her know that the dude's a colossal shitheel and no, we shouldn't model all jails everywhere after his operation?

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/arpaio/

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
I tried showing a family member some trustworthy articles on Arpaio ("Dog Day Afternoon" gets across what a terrible human being Arpaio and his minions are) and he said that none of them could have happened because they weren't reported on Fox News. :eng99:

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Phat Radical Mathematical type Scriptures
I was just detained (handcuffed) and released without arrest for the third time in my short life. This time the officer found me asleep behind the wheel with the engine running in a fast food parking lot. I had pulled over because I couldn't drive anymore, and passed out for several hours. I consented to a search of my car and bag (I was too disoriented to remember that I had tons of illegal stuff on me) and was cuffed and led to sit in the back of the patrol car.

[edited details out]

The next day, they showed on the news about 30 mugshots, all black, that had been arrested the night before in an anti-drug dealing operation. I feel for them, because I should've been the lone white face in the group but I guess that wasn't part off the plan that day.

The other two times involve me getting stopped for being white in poor (black) neighborhoods, usually doing something highly illegal, and ultimately being let go with a word of concern about my safety (being white in the ghetto).

I didn't really know where else to post this, it's just my experience with the justice system so far, from a white geeky druggy guys view. It's really a strange system they've got running out here.

SOME PIG fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jan 8, 2013

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

quote:

(Reuters) - A U.S. federal judge ruled on Friday to end the segregation of prisoners with HIV in Alabama, agreeing that it violates the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).

"It is evident that, while the ... segregation policy has been an unnecessary tool for preventing the transmission of HIV, it has been an effective one for humiliating and isolating prisoners living with the disease," U. S. District Judge Myron Thompson wrote in his ruling.

Two of Alabama's 29 prisons have dormitories specifically housing prisoners with HIV. http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/12/21/us-usa-aids-alabama-idUSBRE8BK0XY20121221

The ACLU comes through for the marginalised yet again.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Hey, this wouldn't be necessary if we treated prisoners like the humans they are, but that would cut into rape jokes and "REAL JUSTICE" or whatever the gently caress assholes are saying now in order to do something so loving terrible that the only other institution I can think of causes a Civil War.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

dethkon posted:

Admissions to crimes

Yeah, that is pretty much the pattern, though even as a white guy, you're really lucky. poo poo, don't drive with contraband in your car though, jesus.

Son of Emhak
Sep 11, 2005

We say there's no parting for us, if our hearts are conveyed to each other.

dethkon posted:

I was just detained (handcuffed) and released without arrest for the third time in my short life. This time the officer found me asleep behind the wheel with the engine running in a fast food parking lot. I had pulled over because I couldn't drive anymore, and passed out for several hours. I consented to a search of my car and bag (I was too disoriented to remember that I had tons of illegal stuff on me) and was cuffed and led to sit in the back of the patrol car.

I didn't really know where else to post this, it's just my experience with the justice system so far, from a white geeky druggy guys view. It's really a strange system they've got running out here.

I can say I'm pretty sure being 'a nice white boy' has saved my bacon at least twice. The first time was in the high school days, the cop had us Dead to Rights, but all he did was say 'I'm going back to my car and when I get back I don't want to see any drugs or paraphernalia', so the guy in the back seat put the stuff in a bag of Cheetoes, and we got off with a warning. The cops exact words were 'If I wasn't already on my way somewhere I'd gently caress with you guys.'

The second time I was pulled over for speeding, having just smoked a blunt with my friend who has serious degenerative arthritis and recent back surgery. When the cop rolled up to the window you could see his eyes light up thinking they had a huge bust from the smell. Joke was on them, what they smelled had all been smoked away. They tore up my car while we both stood outside in the cold, all they found was the weird gifts I had gotten from my friends at my birthday party I had just left. Got off with just the speeding ticket cause they couldn't find poo poo, but it seemed as soon as they realized they got all hard up chasing a dead lead they were like 'aww how cruel of us to suspect these innocent young men of being heinous traffickers with intent to sell, give them the ticket and let 'em go'.

It really feels like the cops demeanor towards you as a possible suspect is relative to the clout the bust will give them, and that's just hosed up.

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

^^^ Like this, but its your mouth, and shit comes out of it.

"edit: Oh neat, babby's first avatar. Kind of a convoluted metaphor but eh..."

No, shit is actually extruding out of your mouth, and your'e a pathetic dick, shut the fuck up.
Asked in A/T and they sent me this way, so:

Maybe an odd request, but does anyone have any insight into capital punishment? In particular, I'm interested in the perspective of the people that have to carry out the death penalty; I've seen a few documentaries and such about the life of prisoners on death row, but realized I've never seen anything about the people that have to enforce the sentence.

I imagine nobody here has any direct experience with this (though of course if you do I'd be quite interested in hearing it), but I'm curious if there are any good reads on the subject available. Interviews, memoirs, etc. Hopefully this doesn't sound too morbid :(

towelieban
Feb 19, 2013
They should've made an episode of Macguyver in Prison. imagine him making a shank out of a pack of cigarettes and a toilet paper roll, and a key out of a bar of soap and his cell-mates 3 remaining teeth.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

towelieban posted:

They should've made an episode of Macguyver in Prison. imagine him making a shank out of a pack of cigarettes and a toilet paper roll, and a key out of a bar of soap and his cell-mates 3 remaining teeth.

This forum has its own prison, you should definitely lurk more.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Honey Badger posted:

Maybe an odd request, but does anyone have any insight into capital punishment? In particular, I'm interested in the perspective of the people that have to carry out the death penalty; I've seen a few documentaries and such about the life of prisoners on death row, but realized I've never seen anything about the people that have to enforce the sentence.

I imagine nobody here has any direct experience with this (though of course if you do I'd be quite interested in hearing it), but I'm curious if there are any good reads on the subject available. Interviews, memoirs, etc. Hopefully this doesn't sound too morbid :(

http://orwell.ru/library/articles/hanging/english/e_hanging

This is what I always have to think about when it's about this sort of stuff.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Honey Badger posted:

http://www.npr.org/programs/atc/witness/
https://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/EncyMD.pdf (esp. pages 3-4)

joat mon fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Feb 19, 2013

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

We've already got stadiums and arenas in the U.S. that are named for pyramid schemes (Amway Center in Orlando) and for-profit educational groups (University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, AZ), so let's name one for for-profit prison operators, why the hell not.

5ive
Oct 5, 2010
What do you all think about paying prisoners the minimum wage for their labor? I suggested this in one of my classes today and caused a shitstorm so I'm not sure anymore. I don't actually know all that much about the issue (haven't even made it halfway through this thread yet), but something rubs me the wrong way when prisoners get paid pittance in a $2 billion industry. I suppose if their wages were increased then the companies would just look elsewhere for labor, but does that justify lovely pay?

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.
I would be in favor of it being a requirement to use prison labor, even if the wage goes to the state it still forces the prison to stop undercutting min wage workers. Put a few auditors on the case who earn most of there pay by collecting from company's who fail to pay the correct amount and things will work out nicely. In addition you could allow the wage to go to an account that is only cashed out when they leave so that prisoners have a nest egg instead of 20 years in jail, then $100 and a bus ticket.

But yes, Apply min wage laws to prison labor, even if you don't pay the worker you keep the labor from becoming its own economic system.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Absolutely. Even if our prison/justice system was perfect, I would still stipulate that minimum wage be paid to prisoners, either to them indirectly, or just as a "tax" that the prison has to pay to compete in the labor market.

MechPlasma
Jan 30, 2013
I'd say yes, with (reasonable) deductions for food/shelter/etc. As in, where it's actual minimum wage, and not minimum wage + ordinary expenses. You'd have problems with managers being completely unfair with what constitutes "reasonable", but I don't see that as a big problem.

I'd prefer to see the money go towards better prison conditions (better housing, education, stuff like that. It is supposed to be a rehabilitation center, after all) than that it goes towards the prisoners themselves (who have a tendency to be not-so-good with money), but that's more technical.

In any case, I agree. Using prisoners to completely bypass the ordinary minimum wage requirements is completely awful.

Of course, the big question is: is it actually possible? Are there enough jobs that inmates can do that would be willing to pay minimum wage?

MechPlasma fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 28, 2013

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
Keep in mind that it costs ~ 30k to keep someone in jail for a year, min wage earns 14k (18k if we use the new wage) So its vary easy to say that all the money earned should go to the state.

Of course I see no reason we cant just pay people a basic wage for being a citizen (or a wage for being stuck in a post criminal world that wont hire them) just to keep people out of jail. But that's a different topic.

MechPlasma
Jan 30, 2013

PyRosflam posted:

Keep in mind that it costs ~ 30k to keep someone in jail for a year, min wage earns 14k (18k if we use the new wage) So its vary easy to say that all the money earned should go to the state.
Oh. Yeah. I forgot how ridiculously costly prisons are.

PyRosflam posted:

Of course I see no reason we cant just pay people a basic wage for being a citizen (or a wage for being stuck in a post criminal world that wont hire them) just to keep people out of jail. But that's a different topic.
We already do. It's called welfare.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
Welfare is Specifically barred for people with many convictions. Source . So no, we don't pay much welfare to former inmates and that leads to the revolving door prison system. Of course failure to pay restitution and crazy parole rules help just as much.

We honestly put insane demands on people who have done nothing but sit in boxes for years.

Amarkov
Jun 21, 2010

MechPlasma posted:

We already do. It's called welfare.

We don't actually have any such thing in the US, though. I know everyone calls TANF "welfare", but it's highly misleading to do that, because anyone who is not caring for children is not eligible.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Amarkov posted:

We don't actually have any such thing in the US, though. I know everyone calls TANF "welfare", but it's highly misleading to do that, because anyone who is not caring for children is not eligible.

Not to mention the 60 month lifetime limit.

Pretty much the only thing comparable to "welfare" as people imagine it is SSI payments.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I know people are going to be all "yeah gently caress prisoners" but the thing with using prisoners as slave labor for less than minimum wage is that it, in the end, sucks jobs out of the market. Every job a prisoner is doing is a job that free people can't have because they literally can't compete with that price. This give an advantage, and thus a major, major incentive, to prisoner labor.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

MechPlasma posted:

Of course, the big question is: is it actually possible? Are there enough jobs that inmates can do that would be willing to pay minimum wage?

There's no reason the jobs that inmates do now can't be paid minimum wage, other than the ability to farm them out to sub-minimum-wage prison labor. Prison labor manufactures furniture, clothing, solar panels, and more, and prisoners have worked in recycling electronics and other toxic substances (without USDA supervision). Next time you're in a federal office, look around - the desks, the chairs, the tables, and the signs were probably all made by prison laborers working for below the minimum wage. It's even worse in state prisons, where prisoners are contracted out to private companies and end up producing everything from paint and cleaning supplies to eyeglasses and tire retreads. Prison workers are used to liquidate Wal-Mart's returned items for $2.67 an hour. Underpaid or unpaid prisoners manufacture far more than most people think.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
Other news,

One of the Angola 3 was ordered to be released from solitary today for the third time. link

The state has already appealed his release twice over 40 years of solitary confinement.

FIRE CURES BIGOTS
Aug 26, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So apparently Angola prison (which used to be a slave plantation) has a rodeo that they invite the general public to.

The prisoners are not trained before hand

But its cool because its completely voluntary.

And by voluntary, according to HFG when I talked to him, they have a choice between doing it or door number two and "door number 2 is... rather worse than volunteering"

So we're at the point of public blood sports of Angola inmates. This is on top of the demeaning practice of making them pick cotton.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Fire posted:

So we're at the point of public blood sports of Angola inmates. This is on top of the demeaning practice of making them pick cotton.
We've been at this point for a while unfortunately.

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp
So, don't keep us in suspense, what’s behind door number 2?

T.Worth
Aug 31, 2012

by XyloJW

Fire posted:

So apparently Angola prison (which used to be a slave plantation) has a rodeo that they invite the general public to.

The prisoners are not trained before hand

But its cool because its completely voluntary.

And by voluntary, according to HFG when I talked to him, they have a choice between doing it or door number two and "door number 2 is... rather worse than volunteering"

Wow.

That sounds a lot like army 'voluntary' to me. At first I thought this consisted of the prisoners running and being round up by blokes on horses with lassoes and poo poo. That seemed bad.

Then I realised this probably consists or being made to ride the most nasty bull they can find with specially sharpened horns or something.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

T.Worth posted:

Then I realised this probably consists or being made to ride the most nasty bull they can find with specially sharpened horns or something.

Yep, one of the events is 'Poker' where four inmates sit at a poker table and a bull charges at them, last one still sitting wins.

All of the info there

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
How is this even remotely legal? Yes I know slave labor is legal (if your in Jail) but what you have here is a person willingly sitting in front of a 1.5 ton animal for the amusement of onlookers. I am fairly sure you cant sign away a right like this just as much as I cant sign a statement saying you can shoot me in the head even as a prisoner.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

PyRosflam posted:

How is this even remotely legal? Yes I know slave labor is legal (if your in Jail) but what you have here is a person willingly sitting in front of a 1.5 ton animal for the amusement of onlookers. I am fairly sure you cant sign away a right like this just as much as I cant sign a statement saying you can shoot me in the head even as a prisoner.

Legal or illegal literally has no meaning within the Prison-Industrial Complex. Rather it's what you can get away with that matters.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Also normal rodeo's have the same event. The problem is the coercion that the prison has over the prisoners.

There is nothing outlandish about the rodeo as it exists, it's pretty normal fare for a rodeo, the problem comes from the "willingness" of the participates.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
I've been reading "The New Jim Crow" by Michelle Alexander. It perfectly (and depressingly) spells out everything horrible about the US justice system every step of the way. From public opinion to lawmaking to police training to court to imprisonment to life for ex-cons, every last bit of it is rotten to the core. It should be required reading for anyone who gives a drat about truth, justice, and the American way, but beware that it will destroy any shreds of faith in humanity you might have left. Not that you should after reading this thread, though. :(

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2012/05/louisiana_is_the_worlds_prison.html

Louisiana is the world's prison capital

It's a long article, not much new for anyone who's read this thread or the LF threads, but the focus is specifically on Louisiana. It's a pretty good encapsulation of everything that's wrong with the US prison system, though, and has some good infographics.

quote:

Louisiana is the world's prison capital. The state imprisons more of its people, per head, than any of its U.S. counterparts. First among Americans means first in the world. Louisiana's incarceration rate is nearly five times Iran's, 13 times China's and 20 times Germany's.

The hidden engine behind the state's well-oiled prison machine is cold, hard cash. A majority of Louisiana inmates are housed in for-profit facilities, which must be supplied with a constant influx of human beings or a $182 million industry will go bankrupt.

Several homegrown private prison companies command a slice of the market. But in a uniquely Louisiana twist, most prison entrepreneurs are rural sheriffs, who hold tremendous sway in remote parishes like Madison, Avoyelles, East Carroll and Concordia. A good portion of Louisiana law enforcement is financed with dollars legally skimmed off the top of prison operations.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
The next saddest thing about that chart is realizing with those sentencing standards and better wrongful imprisonment compensation Texas is better than California :staredog:.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

LP97S posted:

The next saddest thing about that chart is realizing with those sentencing standards and better wrongful imprisonment compensation Texas is better than California :staredog:.
California has possibily the most messed up criminal justice system in the US. We're suppossedly a liberal state, but when it comes to the criminal justice system, we're as nuts as they come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

LP97S posted:

This is only surprising to people who engage in tribalism.

• Locked thread