Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acrophyte
Sep 5, 2012

Respect me like Pesci
and if rap was hockey
I be Gretzky

Thank you for this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

towelieban
Feb 19, 2013

DAT MOUF!

towelieban fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Feb 19, 2013

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

ErIog posted:

You mean any of Hannity's shows since Obama was elected in 2008? He's made a point of calling him the "golfer in chief", and spouts off about it pretty regularly.

Reminder that playing golf as president is fine, you just need to give a speech to the press before you tee off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCm9788Tb5g

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

A Winner is Jew posted:

Reminder that playing golf as president is fine, you just need to give a speech to the press before you tee off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCm9788Tb5g

God drat, he never once gave a gently caress. I've seen that video before, but not in years. Brings back all the ol' piss and vinegar like it was yesterday.

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.
We should restrict presidents from playing golf so they can find REAL sports to play.

I'd like to see Obama challenge some of the GOP all stars to some hoops. I wonder if any of them could bring the jams.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Cheapsteaks posted:

We should restrict presidents from playing golf so they can find REAL sports to play.

I'd like to see Obama challenge some of the GOP all stars to some hoops. I wonder if any of them could bring the jams.

Woody Harrelson couldn't.

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

Cheapsteaks posted:

I wouldn't classify basketball as any of a more real sport than golf. We need boxing and rugby!

Obama has gotten less poo poo for golf than Ike did though. But I wonder when we really started to care about what sports presidents play.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Yes let's have the president play a sport in which head injuries are likely!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

The Entire Universe posted:

Woody Harrelson couldn't.

Isn't Woody Harrelson a libertarian conspiracy theorist?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

SilentD posted:

But I wonder when we really started to care about what sports presidents play.

When the black guy got in office.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Crasscrab posted:

Yes let's have the president play a sport in which head injuries are likely!

If brain damage correlates to presidential popularity, Obama is 60 concussions away from having an airport named after him.

towelieban
Feb 19, 2013
Marco rubio can be the waterboy

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Thanks a lot, science!

Higgs boson find may spell doom for universe

I really love the vague wording that is used in the beginning of this article. It's definitely been written with the intent to trick people into looking at it.

Darkman Fanpage fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Feb 19, 2013

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Crasscrab posted:

Thanks a lot, science!

I really love the vague wording that is used in the beginning of this article. It's definitely been written with the intent to trick people into looking at it.

They've been saying this about the LHC since it was first turned on. You're right to assume it's just a headline designed to generate clicks. They may as well put some sexy scientist on the image or some crap like that.

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

When the black guy got in office.

That isn't true at all. We've been slandering golf while in office since Ike played it. Ike was always hounded for being lazy and playing golf.

Of course, many Democrats have only started to care about this sort of behavior since their guy got in office, but that's standard progressive insanity and isn't worth caring about.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
^ ^ ^ That's because golf is a terrible, Old Man sport. :corsair:
Not an indicator of virile, manly presidential power and authority!

Crasscrab posted:

Thanks a lot, science!

Man, I was hoping it would be a paraphrase of Douglas Adams' famous line:

There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers everything that the Universe is made of, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Rush has pretty much spent the whole day talking about how the sequester really isn't all that bad. Declaring that there's no way $85b could cost 750k jobs. Apparently making around $100k a year is completely unimaginable to him?

Anyway, I'm already starting to miss Fox News talk on satellite radio. Glenn Beck in the morning is just so loving boring. He has his moments of angry indignant ranting but so much of his morning show is inane personal banter with his supporting host(s). It's like he can't decide if he wants to go morning zoo or right wing AM and doesn't do either very well. He's more concerned with expanding his media network than he is with running his own show and its showing. He needs to pick a direction and stick with it. (Ideally that direction will be to go away forever, but if he's going to stick around then he might as well do it right)

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Crasscrab posted:

Thanks a lot, science!

Isn't it a law that any reference to the Higgs Boson in the USA must refer to it as "The God Particle?"

J. P. Beagley
Apr 11, 2008

Good Citizen posted:

Rush has pretty much spent the whole day talking about how the sequester really isn't all that bad. Declaring that there's no way $85b could cost 750k jobs. Apparently making around $100k a year is completely unimaginable to him?

Anyway, I'm already starting to miss Fox News talk on satellite radio. Glenn Beck in the morning is just so loving boring. He has his moments of angry indignant ranting but so much of his morning show is inane personal banter with his supporting host(s). It's like he can't decide if he wants to go morning zoo or right wing AM and doesn't do either very well. He's more concerned with expanding his media network than he is with running his own show and its showing. He needs to pick a direction and stick with it. (Ideally that direction will be to go away forever, but if he's going to stick around then he might as well do it right)

I believe it was either yesterday or the day before when Rush claimed that $85b was to the annual federal budget as a quarter is to someone who makes 100K per year. It's COMMON SENSE ya'll.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Ah yes, the idea that republicans also agreed to and was suggested as a last-resort option after Obama had been backed into a corner.

*Breaks vase.* *Points to brother.* "He did it!"

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I thought cuts were a good thing? Why are they blaming Obama for something they like?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Good Citizen posted:

Yeah, he'll say that now, but the moment bad things do start happening because of the sequester, it'll be all Obama's fault. Just like with the payroll tax cut - Obama got absolutely no credit from the right for enacting the tax cut, but the moment it expired, it became "Obama's tax hike".

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Radbot posted:

I thought cuts were a good thing? Why are they blaming Obama for something they like?

The whole point of the sequester was that it was something that we needed to avoid. An agreed-to deadline with harsh consequences that would force action. Republicans agreed to it. Now republicans, scared they are going to be blamed (rightly) for the consequences of their obstructionism, are trying to spin the incoming sequester as Obama's fault, rather than it's their obstructionism forcing the sequester that they had agreed to.

So far it's backfiring horribly. I think because they still are using the same consultants they were using during the 2012 election.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Radbot posted:

It's both at the same time until we can observe the fallout. It's schrodinger's stance

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

Spacedad posted:

The whole point of the sequester was that it was something that we needed to avoid. An agreed-to deadline with harsh consequences that would force action. Republicans agreed to it. Now republicans, scared they are going to be blamed (rightly) for the consequences of their obstructionism, are trying to spin the incoming sequester as Obama's fault, rather than it's their obstructionism forcing the sequester that they had agreed to.

So far it's backfiring horribly. I think because they still are using the same consultants they were using during the 2012 election.

You're making a mistake if you think Republican obstructionism and blame shifting here is a unified idea, it's not. Where they hosed up is that the libertarian wing thinks it's a great idea because they've never had these sorts of the cuts on the table before, and the neoconservative/establishment wing of it is scared shitless.

But that's what you get when you forget that the most important part of being a political party is marginalizing the more radical elements of it and making sure they never touch power at all.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Radbot posted:

Because the structure of the sequester is that half of it hits the military. Republicans hate domestic spending on items that are actually useful to the citizenry, but they love military spending. They don't want the military budget half of the sequester to kick in, so they've tried to pass bills that would eliminate the military portion of the sequester. However, it's not enough for them to just cancel the military portion, they want to take the cuts that were set to kick in on the military side and reassign them to other domestic spending, doubling down on those cuts that they love.

That was their strategy last year. Now, since they're discovering that's not happening and all these cuts are going to really hurt the economy, they're trying to play up "Well, we didn't want to do this, this was all Obama's fault!"

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
loving Democrats never want to compromise on anything ever.

compromise noun: a settlement of differences by mutual singular concessions

Nailed it!

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

SilentD posted:

You're making a mistake if you think Republican obstructionism and blame shifting here is a unified idea, it's not. Where they hosed up is that the libertarian wing thinks it's a great idea because they've never had these sorts of the cuts on the table before, and the neoconservative/establishment wing of it is scared shitless.

But that's what you get when you forget that the most important part of being a political party is marginalizing the more radical elements of it and making sure they never touch power at all.

Sounds like the GOP is a complete failure in your eyes, then.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
While still a little niche in comparison to the usual rightwing media crazy, let it never be said moonbattery's Dave Blount is not uniquely talented at crafting beautiful new crazy terminology.

http://moonbattery.com/?p=25883

Its not undocumented immigrant
Its not illegal alien
Its Mexican Welfare Colonist.

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

Radbot posted:

Sounds like the GOP is a complete failure in your eyes, then.

Pretty much, they gave the radicals a platform and let them touch power, you can never do that. You have to mock, marginalize, defang, and if needed to lose elections to keep them out of power.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Radbot posted:

Obamacare, killing BinLaden, drone strikes, indefinite detention, cutting taxes, raising benefits for veterans, etc. They hate every idea they ever had when he does it. Obama is the greatest Republican president we've had since Reagan.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

BiggerBoat posted:

Obamacare, killing BinLaden, drone strikes, indefinite detention, cutting taxes, raising benefits for veterans, etc. They hate every idea they ever had when he does it. Obama is the greatest Republican president we've had since Reagan.

At least it's fun engaging them on stuff like that. "Oh, so you don't believe American Muslim terrorists should be killed? Are you part of the Occupy movement or something?"

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

BiggerBoat posted:

But the ticket says "Democrat" so doesn't that mean he's so far to the left that he makes Stalin look like Churchill?

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Radbot posted:

At least it's fun engaging them on stuff like that. "Oh, so you don't believe American Muslim terrorists should be killed? Are you part of the Occupy movement or something?"

It's really awful because it reveals what sheep they are.

I was shocked by the alAwlaki killing and the legal implications when it happened.

They are outraged now that the WH made the legal procedure a major news item.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
More like they're outraged now that Rush/Fox News told them they should be outraged.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Boehner got 98% of what he wanted, apparently the entire sequester was that 2% he totally hated.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

McDowell posted:

It's really awful because it reveals what sheep they are.

I was shocked by the alAwlaki killing and the legal implications when it happened.

They are outraged now that the WH made the legal procedure a major news item.

It's pretty obvious in retrospect that after Fort Hood and the attempt to bomb UPS flights his name got bumped up to the top of the list. Legally, the administration was on some pretty shaky ground but they gambled and won on the fact that no one was seriously interested in going to bat over the death of a piece of poo poo like al-Awlaki.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Minorities posted:

Isn't Woody Harrelson a libertarian conspiracy theorist?

:cripes: I know you're probably too young to get the reference, but if you just Google where Woody Harrelson and Basketball coincide, you find that X marks the spot at the movie White Men Can't Jump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Goofballs over at Fox News get their undies in a bunch over a new wrestler that is a Tea Party stereotype.

WWE mocks the Tea Party

quote:

Bigoted wrestler criticizes immigration in America

Infowars.com is taking this whole thing even more seriously.

WWE Creates Racist Wrestler to Demonize Tea Party

:allears: It's cute, really.

Makes you wonder where these guys were when WWE and other major wrestling organizations debuted other offensive characters.

Darkman Fanpage fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 20, 2013