Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheGoatFeeder
Mar 16, 2005

"One Zaba, Two Zaba, Three Zabaleta, Four Zaba, Five Zaba, Six Zabaleta, Seven Zaba, Eight Zaba, Nine Zabaleta, Heeeeeeeeeey Zabaleta"

trem_two posted:

Was this already posted?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=143OGMSUedA

I think we need to get her to collaborate with that Arsenal chant kid.

Well, they do start them drinking young North of the border

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011

IIRC the Reading defender laughed at him.

4 inch cut no femmes fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Feb 19, 2013

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Popehoist posted:

I think the implication was more that defending is easier in La Liga. Which is true. TBH if Barcelona were really that great they would be dominating the CL every single year instead of getting thumped by shitlords like Chelsea and Celtic. IMO.

Pique is pretty good for spain is the world cup/euros just not up to the quality of the EPL?

phnuggle
Sep 21, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
That wasn't my point at all. He's an extremely good ball-playing centre-half, he's just not very quick at all. And whatever way you spin it, speed in the EPL is a good quality to have in your defenders. At Barcelona he is basically playing as a midfielder for 70% of the match anyway, which is why they are so comfortable throwing actual midfielders into defence. Jesus.

Plus, the more I think about it, he isn't actually that good a defender.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

phnuggle posted:

That wasn't my point at all. He's an extremely good ball-playing centre-half, he's just not very quick at all. And whatever way you spin it, speed in the EPL is a good quality to have in your defenders. At Barcelona he is basically playing as a midfielder for 70% of the match anyway, which is why they are so comfortable throwing actual midfielders into defence. Jesus.

He's a decent defender. One problem with evaluating Barcelona's defensive players is they rarely have the opportunity to do "normal" defending. Most of the time they are defending on the counter which is a pretty tough thing to do. It's much easier to defend when you're in place and have some sort of defensive structure.

He's had his ups and downs. The past year he's made more mistakes defensively than he did his previous time at the club, but the past few months he's been playing better.

phnuggle
Sep 21, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
That's fair. I just don't see why people mention him leaving United as an example of Fergie dropping the ball.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Modus Trollens posted:

Pique is pretty good for spain is the world cup/euros just not up to the quality of the EPL?

International football definitely isn't.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

phnuggle posted:

That's fair. I just don't see why people mention him leaving United as an example of Fergie dropping the ball.

Most people don't. It was a troll. It worked.

Smarf
Mar 21, 2004

Arsehole!!!!

phnuggle posted:

Terry or Vidic aren't blessed with pace, and they still seem to do alright.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Sombrero! posted:

I made this GIF of Pogba's goal I hope you like it OK bye

:negative: I wish Pogba would just disappear out of existence somehow.

Humphrey Vasel posted:

IIRC the Reading defender laughed at him.

lmao. It's amazing how WELBZ forgets he's a footballer once he gets inside the box. The Reading defender didn't laugh AT him so to speak, he put his arm around him and they laughed.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Smarf posted:

Terry or Vidic aren't blessed with pace, and they still seem to do alright.

They're physically strong and pretty good when dealing with aerial challenges. I've seen Barca buckle a bit under that kind of system of play because it's not the kind of game they regularly play against in Spain. I've also seen Vidic and Terry look like donkeys against clever players who move well and quickly on the ground in the way Barcelona do.

Instead of getting into another tiresome Spain v. England argument, maybe we can just all agree that Pique is a good defender for a certain system of play, but Ferguson was not necessarily an idiot for letting him go given the circumstances at the time.

I'm not sure if Pique would have grown into a good Ferdinand replacement, but Pique won his reputation with Barca deservedly.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Losing Pique arguably allowed for Jonny Evans to come through into the first team, and he's become a really good, reliable centre back. Obviously Pique has had amazing success but I'm not sure United lost out on that much in letting him go

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
SAF didn't have a choice in letting him go. He was a Barca boy who wanted home and with one year left on his contract, he wouldn't sign a new one without being given guarantees of a regular starting place, something that was obviously not possible with Rio and Vidic being one the best CB pairings in the world at the time.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
Some good old fashioned fun fighting on the training with Dynamo Kiev.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PmcrJrHaZI

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

I love that man

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

I love that man

its only danny welbeck

Bacon of the Sea
Oct 17, 2008

Dog Suicide Bridge BBQ Team 2k10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rO1z-VG1qI

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just recently watched The Two Escobars the documentary about the 94 World Cup Qualifying Colombian Team and Pablo Escobar, which is now on us NETFLIX. I have a question though, considering how much documentaries hype things up, were Columbia really seen as that good/ that favorited to go in? Also they say that the reason the national team was so good was that they were able to keep the players in Columbia, but I don't get it, England keeps it's players in country and they're not that good either, so were all the players actually on the same team or something?

Thanks guys.

mikewozere
Jun 2, 2008

Aiiiii

Happy for this meme to die now.

Sin Dios
Aug 7, 2004

Abu Dave posted:

I just recently watched The Two Escobars the documentary about the 94 World Cup Qualifying Colombian Team and Pablo Escobar, which is now on us NETFLIX. I have a question though, considering how much documentaries hype things up, were Columbia really seen as that good/ that favorited to go in? Also they say that the reason the national team was so good was that they were able to keep the players in Columbia, but I don't get it, England keeps it's players in country and they're not that good either, so were all the players actually on the same team or something?

Thanks guys.

Colombia was really that good.. after reaching the 2nd round in Italy 90, they beat Argentina 5-0 in Argentina in the 94 WCQs, they had a squad full of awesome players like Valderrama, Asprilla, Higuita, Rincon, Alvarez etc.. at that time they were seriously the 3rd, 4th best team in the world and most people considered them a serious contender for the WC but all that potential never really materialized and they pretty much fell off after their bad performance in USA 94 and France 98 was just terrible for them.. but through most of the early, mid-90s they were perceived as a strong rear end team, in fact if you go check ISS Superstar Soccer on the snes/megadrive, Colombia's one of the best teams in the game..

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
drat, thats cool. Thank you Sin Dos.

That documentary was really heart breaking. Once you realize the emotions they're showing from conceeding that own goal aren't "Oh poo poo, my bad" but "Oh gently caress, we are going to be murdered" it just broke me. Had a cry.

And poor Andres Escobar. You just knew he was going to be murdered and he knew too once it went in. :(.

Shaolin Soccer is also up on US Netflix, as is Goal 2 which has this great poster:

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Abu Dave posted:

Shaolin Soccer is also up on US Netflix, as is Goal 2 which has this great poster:

When you see that Gavin 'arris, tell him he's shite!

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!

Abu Dave posted:

Also they say that the reason the national team was so good was that they were able to keep the players in Columbia, but I don't get it, England keeps it's players in country and they're not that good either, so were all the players actually on the same team or something?

Thanks guys.

Most people in South America prefer that national team players play on their home league instead of warming bench in Europe.

Not just because the actually playing part, but because european-based players are seen as "mercenaries" of sorts, who only play for money and tend to not make an effort when representing the country. This is bullshit, of course, because any player good enough to be called to his national team is at least richer than most people in his country. They might pull a shift because they are living in their country and feel more pressured to perform well and because if they perform well they might get transfered to Europe and get more money.

polydizzle
Sep 13, 2004

Love the little shimmy at the end.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Polidoro posted:

Most people in South America prefer that national team players play on their home league instead of warming bench in Europe.

Not just because the actually playing part, but because european-based players are seen as "mercenaries" of sorts, who only play for money and tend to not make an effort when representing the country. This is bullshit, of course, because any player good enough to be called to his national team is at least richer than most people in his country. They might pull a shift because they are living in their country and feel more pressured to perform well and because if they perform well they might get transfered to Europe and get more money.

For Colombia in particular players based in-country have a particular incentive not to gently caress up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andr%C3%A9s_Escobar

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

Abu Dave posted:

And poor Andres Escobar. You just knew he was going to be murdered and he knew too once it went in. :(.

He didn't "know he was going to be murdered" when the own goal went in, I'm surprised you watched the documentary and still came to this conclusion. He was an incredibly popular player for his club and in his home country.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

For Colombia in particular players based in-country have a particular incentive not to gently caress up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andr%C3%A9s_Escobar

Are you taking the piss right now?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

T. Mascis posted:

He didn't "know he was going to be murdered" when the own goal went in, I'm surprised you watched the documentary and still came to this conclusion. He was an incredibly popular player for his club and in his home country.

Yeah but I thought they all were incredibly popular and respected, especially because they had Pablo behind them, but once Pablo was out of the way the PEPE started to kidnap the players family members, and murdered that one guys brother. That was my way of viewing it; the people didn't turn on Andres, but Pablos ex enemies certainly did and had no concern for them.

e; That is to say, that to the drug dealers, money is way more important than national pride etc.

Empress Brosephine fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 19, 2013

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Abu Dave posted:

so were all the players actually on the same team or something?

You don't remember the part of the documentary pointing out that Columbia had the same coach and many of the same players as the Nacional side that won the Copa Libertadores and a lot of domestic honors?

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Abu Dave posted:

Thanks guys.

I was at this game at the end of the stadium where he scored. You should have seen the anguish on that guy's face. He knew he done hosed up. I was 9 at the time so I had no idea about the context of a USA/Colombia match-up and even less when he was shot. I just remember the report being that they shot him 13 times yelling "Gol" with each shot.

I saw this documentary when it came out and it is incredibly powerful. Especially when you watch things like Killing Pablo in conjunction with it. I highly recommend everyone see it.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TyChan posted:

You don't remember the part of the documentary pointing out that Columbia had the same coach and many of the same players as the Nacional side that won the Copa Libertadores and a lot of domestic honors?

No, I must've overlooked it but that explains it.

The documentary seemed to place alot of blame on the back up keeper though who filled in for the crazy back heel save guy (I forgot his name off hand). Do others feel the same way?

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Abu Dave posted:

No, I must've overlooked it but that explains it.

The documentary seemed to place alot of blame on the back up keeper though who filled in for the crazy back heel save guy (I forgot his name off hand). Do others feel the same way?

No. It was a freak play. Anyone who has ever played in the back has scored in his own net. Some are unfortunate enough to do it in a very important game.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sorry I should clarify that I meant for Columbias entire run in the World Cup past the qualifiers not just for the own goal, my bad. But thank you for answering.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Oh, well, I wouldn't blame anything on that keeper. They lost to the US in the group stage. That was enough. It was a shock defeat to a relatively poo poo team and was enough to carry the US and sink Colombia. They had already lost to a streaky Romania team, who were actually very good in their own right. Colombia should have beat the US like 4-0. Somehow they didn't.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

vickser posted:

Dags. D'ya like dags?
I know this is going back a bit but I can't quite tell if this is a really good joke or a really bad one :eng99:

Since it's kind of video related, I watched the first episode of Being: Liverpool the other day, it was somewhat surreal. Is it all like that or does it get, well, better?

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Redundant posted:

Since it's kind of video related, I watched the first episode of Being: Liverpool the other day, it was somewhat surreal. Is it all like that or does it get, well, better?

Honestly it's pretty bad. Like, I guess if you're interested in Liverpool you'll maybe take something from it but otherwise it feels more like an advertisement for the club than a documentary on it. Even as a Liverpool fan, I gave up after a couple episodes.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Oh, well, I wouldn't blame anything on that keeper. They lost to the US in the group stage. That was enough. It was a shock defeat to a relatively poo poo team and was enough to carry the US and sink Colombia. They had already lost to a streaky Romania team, who were actually very good in their own right. Colombia should have beat the US like 4-0. Somehow they didn't.

Oh wow, yeah that is a huge difference. Thanks again.

Soup and a Sandwich
Apr 8, 2008

skeng

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
This is shamelessly stolen from the BBC:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgdolWo5A2U

I have no idea what happened to the keeper, why he doesn't roll the ball out of play or what happened afterwards. Still think it's kinda funny.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Abu Dave posted:

Yeah but I thought they all were incredibly popular and respected, especially because they had Pablo behind them, but once Pablo was out of the way the PEPE started to kidnap the players family members, and murdered that one guys brother. That was my way of viewing it; the people didn't turn on Andres, but Pablos ex enemies certainly did and had no concern for them.

e; That is to say, that to the drug dealers, money is way more important than national pride etc.

He was out at 3 am in Medellin in the 90's, statistically there was probably a 80% chance he was getting killed regardless of what his occupation was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

T. Mascis posted:

Are you taking the piss right now?

I wish I was enough of a posting superstar to pretend I was but I literally completely missed the post that he was responding to.

In penance have this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJuHC7xXsGA

• Locked thread