Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Wireless charging will make a huge difference, I think. If you could just pull up your car to the lot, push "Sync" or whatever and then go inside and have a coffee and a donut while your car charges or whatnot, that would go a long way to making the experience actually superior to gasoline in terms of the fuel->vehicle experience.

Similarly, if your car was trickle charging when you're at the mall or CVS or the ballpark or whatever. That would be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
It's not wireless, but quite a few car parks here have charging points.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

duz posted:

You seem to have confused CNN with a news organization.

My mistake. :toot:

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
It only takes two or three minutes to fill up a car at the moment. Depending on the time and location those few short minutes will still not be enough to stop queues forming behind pumps. What happens when the cars are sitting motionless for 45 minutes? I wonder how big these charging stations are going to be.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

ozmunkeh posted:

It only takes two or three minutes to fill up a car at the moment. Depending on the time and location those few short minutes will still not be enough to stop queues forming behind pumps. What happens when the cars are sitting motionless for 45 minutes? I wonder how big these charging stations are going to be.

Well at present there aren't that many EVs being sold, and most are sold as second cars, so I imagine demand will be pretty light for a while.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

ozmunkeh posted:

Edit: (That's a level 2, the level 3/superchargers are about 3 times as wide)

They're quite small, small enough that around here they've been sticking them in the gaps between parking spots, where the handicap sign would go. You wouldn't need to have an equivalent to a gas station, you'd just have stores set a portion of their lots setup with chargers so you'd "fill-up" each time you park. Granted this only helps for in town driving, not long distance where you would need chargers on rest stops or something, but that will get better with improvements in batteries to the point where it won't matter that you have to stop for a half hour since you need to eat or whatever anyways.

duz fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 15, 2013

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

Yeah, I understand it's not an issue at the moment as there's so few of these cars around the supercharger demand is essentially zero. It would suck to have to wait for a space to free up for 30 minutes before even starting the 45 minute charge. I know if it took me 45 minutes to fill up my car I sure as hell wouldn't be hanging around for three quarters of an hour waiting for it to finish unless I was going to be fined for overstaying my welcome (these things are supposed to be free, right?).

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

grover posted:

Is anyone marketing tow-behind generators as range extenders & extra storage space for EVs?

Towing a trailer is a giant pain in the rear end and not many people would spend the money on a vehicle that needs a trailer to handle long range. It's just not a good solution, so it hasn't gotten much attention.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
My solution of choice for long range trips is a Challanger R/T. I am carbon positive. I told my toyota guy I was cross shopping that and a prius plug in.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Suqit posted:

That is what the Volt does.

I thought the volt was like the new plug in prius in that there is a direct mechanical link between the engine and the wheels.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Sadi posted:

I thought the volt was like the new plug in prius in that there is a direct mechanical link between the engine and the wheels.

There is above 60 or 75mph(i forget which) for efficiency reasons, but there is no transmission and such, the engine cannot directly power the car in the traditional sense.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

grover posted:

Let's face it- if you want to drive your Tesla on a track, unless you live like 2 miles away, you're going to to flatbed it there and back. No sense dragging around a heavy- and 99% of the time unnecessary- engine for daily commuting, though.

I bet richer tracks will install fast chargers. You drive there, run easy toward the end of your sessions, and charge in between.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Powershift posted:

There is above 60 or 75mph(i forget which) for efficiency reasons, but there is no transmission and such, the engine cannot directly power the car in the traditional sense.

I know this is kind of a derail but my understanding is the engine is hooked up to the planetary gear set quite similar to the Prius so that there can be a direct mechanical link to the wheels.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Sadi posted:

The engine acts as a generator. Under emergency situations the ICE can power the wheels but in practicality it never will.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
The volt uses a planetary gearset, same as the prius. Two electric motors and one internal combustion engine. It runs the two electric motors until the battery is at the minimum charge level(25-50 miles), then the ICE kicks in and provides power and charging to maintain battery level. It won't charge the battery much beyond the minimum level, it shuts off at stoplights and long downhill coasting.

Using a gas engine to run a 9x% efficient generator to power a 9x% efficient motor is silly when you can power the wheels directly. The only good reason to do that in a production car would be packaging, like if you had a detachable engine for long range use.

oxbrain fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Feb 16, 2013

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

oxbrain posted:

Using a gas engine to run a 9x% efficient generator to power a 9x% efficient motor is silly when you can power the wheels directly.

Not if your overall efficiency rises due to running the ICE tuned for this load & rpm. Also, continue running the ICE / generator when you're in stop/go & dumping the excess power into batteries, pulling it back when you hoof it.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)
I did it. I ordered a Fusion Energi. :thumbsup:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Recently I saw a Holden somethingorother Hybrid. It's the first time I've seen a hybrid in person. Never seen a straight EV. Just thought I'd say because to me it was kind of exciting because i thought I'd never see one in the wild in Australia.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I saw my first Telsa Model S on a suburban Chicago street. Still had dealer plates and plastic on the seats.

It was so, so sexy.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Suqit posted:

I did it. I ordered a Fusion Energi. :thumbsup:

Now what we need is for Ford to offer radar cruise control in the C-Max. After all, they are trying to compete with the Prius V, and their radar unit is half as expensive as most others.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

http://strassenversion.kinja.com/tesla-road-trip-debunking-the-new-york-times-247951069

How Tesla handles software problems when their userbase is so small posted:

a short while later Tesla called back and told the owner that they had detected the problem and that they were working on a custom coded version of 4.3 (an unreleased firmware update) to allow him to continue on. They asked if he was willing to be a beta tester, and he enthusiastically accepted. Some 20 minutes later they pushed the update to the car and told him to try again. Somehow the update had locked the door to the plug connection and another call was placed. They saw the bug and pushed another version of the code to the car. This time it worked
"Yeah dude I just merged the pull request. Get that branch on your car right away."
I wonder if this is what befell Broder's car.

quote:

There was nothing but appreciation for the customer service from the owner and excitement at being able to continue on the journey.
The participants in this journey freely admitted that there are small problems with the car and that they are early adopters. They are the kind of people that send error reports on their computer - happy to take a minute to send feedback to engineers and participate in the improvement of a product over time. The owner that had the problem in Delaware commented "you must be this tall to enter this ride"- implying you have to have a certain level of intelligence and common sense to own this car.
Some serious mental realignment about how to think about the quality of a luxury electronics consumer product.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
So basically their demographic is PC gamers (like me).

Sweet!

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

That's hilarious. In an effort to prove a journalist wrong about an article in which he had issues with their car, nine identical cars attempt to make the same completely unremarkable journey. At the first charging station one of them breaks enough that it's stranded for an hour while engineers push out updated firmware.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

ozmunkeh posted:

That's hilarious. In an effort to prove a journalist wrong about an article in which he had issues with their car, nine identical cars attempt to make the same completely unremarkable journey. At the first charging station one of them breaks enough that it's stranded for an hour while engineers push out updated firmware.

I'd argue it's more truthful than anything Broder did, though. Both sides look weak in this whole thing but I still think he comes out worse since he doesn't really have any explanation for why the chargers were disconnected when they were.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'd argue it's more truthful than anything Broder did, though. Both sides look weak in this whole thing but I still think he comes out worse since he doesn't really have any explanation for why the chargers were disconnected when they were.
Seems truthful especially because one of the cars had issues. They could have just reported "all eight cars we tried with got there just fine."

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

I thought he was on the phone with Tesla reps almost constantly throughout his adventure, claiming he plugged and unplugged the car exactly as instructed? I don't remember the rather petulant Tesla response denying this. Maybe it did - I don't remember. I'm sure someone will tell me if I'm wrong. Anyway, it's pretty telling that of the ten cars that attempted a simple journey one ended up on a flatbed and another broke and had to have engineers on the phone sending multiple firmware updates.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

ozmunkeh posted:

I thought he was on the phone with Tesla reps almost constantly throughout his adventure, claiming he plugged and unplugged the car exactly as instructed? I don't remember the rather petulant Tesla response denying this. Maybe it did - I don't remember. I'm sure someone will tell me if I'm wrong. Anyway, it's pretty telling that of the ten cars that attempted a simple journey one ended up on a flatbed and another broke and had to have engineers on the phone sending multiple firmware updates.

I like how one of them took a cross country trip and took to refilling his car at RV parks. And even he had issues with a cross county trip and he is an engineer. I also find it a bit odd that it took them 10 days to get from Portland to NOLA, a speed even slower than my father in his 1944 Willys Jeep with a 4 banging flathead in it. Still it's rather neat to see them working all the bugs out. Also did you know the first car to win a race in the US was electric?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

ozmunkeh posted:

I thought he was on the phone with Tesla reps almost constantly throughout his adventure, claiming he plugged and unplugged the car exactly as instructed? I don't remember the rather petulant Tesla response denying this. Maybe it did - I don't remember. I'm sure someone will tell me if I'm wrong.

Broder said, "hey, I've been charging for a while and show 30mi range. What's up? Can I go?"
He said the reps said, "you can get going -- the batteries will come up to temp a bit more and give you the range you need."
So he took off and indeed got more than 30mi.

To my knowledge, Tesla didn't respond about whether the Tesla reps (whom he named) had indeed given him that advice.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

InterceptorV8 posted:

Also did you know the first car to win a race in the US was electric?

I think the first car over 100mph was electric too.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

DJ Commie posted:

I think the first car over 100mph was electric too.

Nope and the first car to do a mile a minute (60mph) was a Ford built car with none other than Barney Oldfield behind the wheel.

thats the straight dope
Apr 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just bought a Volt today. I couldn't pass up the insane-o President's Day lease thing they had going in LA.

Wish me luck with it not catching fire.

I might also be able to answer some questions after I drive it some more if anyone's curious. It's the basic 2013 model.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

InterceptorV8 posted:

I like how one of them took a cross country trip and took to refilling his car at RV parks. And even he had issues with a cross county trip and he is an engineer. I also find it a bit odd that it took them 10 days to get from Portland to NOLA, a speed even slower than my father in his 1944 Willys Jeep with a 4 banging flathead in it. Still it's rather neat to see them working all the bugs out. Also did you know the first car to win a race in the US was electric?

People can't get over the whole range stigma with electric cars. Honestly 120 mile range should be more than enough to make an electric vehicle capable of meeting a LARGE portion of people's driving need 90 to 95% of the time. For the other times when the 120 mile range won't work for these people then it's easy to have another car available to fill in the gap. So what one of the Model S has problems getting across the country? That's not what an ev was designed to do. EV's are designed to meeting a large chunk of the population's driving needs MOST of the time with as little maintenance as possible while being better for the environment. And frankly, the Leaf, the roadster, and Model S all have the range to accomplish that mission.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

weese36 posted:

I just bought a Volt today. I couldn't pass up the insane-o President's Day lease thing they had going in LA.

Wish me luck with it not catching fire.

I might also be able to answer some questions after I drive it some more if anyone's curious. It's the basic 2013 model.

With a 2013 model, you shouldn't have to worry about the fire thing.

My parent's 2012 model though...

When they bought it, they found these parts under the trunk area. When they asked the dealer what they were for, the dealer realized they were for the battery recall/strengthening that they neglected to do before selling them the car.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
What are people paying for Volts? They have 0% for 72 months and $3,000 rebate on the 2013s. I swore not to buy a chevy ever again that was built after 1957, but these are as cheap as a plug in prius with close to 4 times the electric range. Maybe I should lease it so I can just give it back before parts start falling off.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
How's the Volt stack up against the Fusion Energi? The EV range goes Volt > Plugin Energi > Plugin Prius right?

thats the straight dope
Apr 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Elephanthead posted:

What are people paying for Volts? They have 0% for 72 months and $3,000 rebate on the 2013s. I swore not to buy a chevy ever again that was built after 1957, but these are as cheap as a plug in prius with close to 4 times the electric range. Maybe I should lease it so I can just give it back before parts start falling off.

Best deal I could find was ~35k with 0% over 72 months to buy and for the lease it was 2850 down and 199 a month for 36 months (which after all taxes and fees is more like 3850 down and 217 per month). I did have to drive about an hour and a half to a dealer in North L.A., cause no one around me was matching that (I think the more standard lease was 299mo).

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Squibbles posted:

How's the Volt stack up against the Fusion Energi? The EV range goes Volt > Plugin Energi > Plugin Prius right?

Also isn't the 2013 Volt like 5 miles greater range than the 2012? Or was that 2012 over 2011?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Coredump posted:

People can't get over the whole range stigma with electric cars. Honestly 120 mile range should be more than enough to make an electric vehicle capable of meeting a LARGE portion of people's driving need 90 to 95% of the time. For the other times when the 120 mile range won't work for these people then it's easy to have another car available to fill in the gap. So what one of the Model S has problems getting across the country? That's not what an ev was designed to do. EV's are designed to meeting a large chunk of the population's driving needs MOST of the time with as little maintenance as possible while being better for the environment. And frankly, the Leaf, the roadster, and Model S all have the range to accomplish that mission.

Hey, I'm not the one that took it cross country to prove something.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

Squibbles posted:

That's right. Volt is 40 miles, Energi 21, Prius 11.

I wanted the Volt but it only seats 4 and my wife hated it and it will be her car. After looking though, the Fusion is the nicest car of all of them imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Coredump posted:

I will absolutely agree with the idea that 120 miles of range should be more than enough for a majority of drivers a majority of the time. However, the Leaf's official rated range is only 73 miles per the EPA - not even 2/3 of that. The worst-case scenario for a new Leaf can result in as little as ~60 miles of range (winter, stop and go, heater on) and that's before you even account for battery degradation... which would leave me rolling home with <10mi of range every night without running a single errand.

120 miles of range, however, gives me headroom for both any number of errands as well as blasting the A/C as needed and still coming home with plenty of battery to spare, even after the battery degrades. Which brings up another point - if you come home with that battery near-zero every day, you're wearing it out far more than if you were able to get everything done in half the charge.

• Locked thread