Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.

NotThatSamBeckett posted:

I'm not about to craft a deal for each person interested, just make an offer. Promptly, if possible, as I'm on the clock. I'd be willing to trade down, of course, if it's an expansion team.

Show me a team that doesn't need Ted Williams and I will show you the Coburns. Also, hahaha, George Brett. In further humor news, I picked '62 Willie Mays as my prize for winning the EC, and look where that got me.

I still stand by my statement. In 1957, Williams is getting up there in age and isn't the consensus #1 pick. It still depends on the needs of the team picking. The CERN Colliders don't need Williams, they have Ruth and Gehrig. They'd like to have Williams, sure, but they're not doomed without him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Pretty sure there's only an hour or so left on the clock.

Pete Ladd
Mar 9, 2012
Ahh, hell with it. Teddy, I hope you find success elsewhere. This would have worked perfectly if only the Suicides or Biosparks had been just a little more awful.

The Patagonian Postmodernists select

Ronald Reagan!

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkF311T6qtJidHlQc19KUDRMVzJWUkFwNS1ZUWhibVE#gid=1

That's the draft document. cbx, you are on the clock.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

With the pick the Cougars received in a trade with the Canton Catastrophes, the Detroit Cougars select:

1957 Ted Williams.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Pander, you sir, are on the clock as of 2 PM EST.

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010
Actually, speaking of Pander...

I'm looking to try and trade for a dispersal pick in the early second round (you guys in the sandwich round would qualify too). There's a specific player I'm hoping to grab, so I'm looking for an agreement that we would execute if my player is still available at your pick.

Package I would be offering is one of my top 4 starters + one of my glut of infielders (Frisch/Alomar/Rose/Youkilis) + a reliever (though not Smoltz unless something is coming back to me). My 4th rounder I guess can be in play too if that's your preference.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

ToiletofSadness posted:

Actually, speaking of Pander...

I'm looking to try and trade for a dispersal pick in the early second round (you guys in the sandwich round would qualify too). There's a specific player I'm hoping to grab, so I'm looking for an agreement that we would execute if my player is still available at your pick.

Package I would be offering is one of my top 4 starters + one of my glut of infielders (Frisch/Alomar/Rose/Youkilis) + a reliever (though not Smoltz unless something is coming back to me). My 4th rounder I guess can be in play too if that's your preference.

Do you do IRC? If so, come on in.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

If not, my sandwich pick is available.

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

cbx posted:

If not, my sandwich pick is available.
I gathered as such. It's just that I'm still at work for a few hours so I can't just bounce into IRC. I'll try and drop in later tonight and we can discuss that pick of yours.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

That's fine. I'll be at a party tonight but I do have PMs here on SA now, if you want to talk shop.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

When Pungry's in charge, every mission is a suicide mission!

Owner: Pungry
Home Grounds: Comerica Park

Teams Used
1918 Boston Red Sox
1999 Kansas City Royals
2006 Detroit Tigers

Past Records
Expansion Cup VII
71-92, 5th Place, Already Relegated Division
Super-League VIII
70-92, 4th Place, Norris-Smythe Division, Gauntletted
Gauntlet VII
Round 4: 16-24, 3rd Place, Relegated

In lieu of an obit, Pungry has asked to use this space to publish a poem he wrote about the Seattle Suicides.

Shattered Glass
by Pungry

Panes of glass on the ground
In so many pieces in front of me
Where did these shards comes
What did they do to me?

The wounds in my mind
The no one can see
They bleed inside my brain
The glass that cut me deep

The starry skies that flew over head
The shone so bright
Under the stars I loved you
And you broke the glass of my heart

No hope comes from these skies
The gray that stretches forever
The raindrops like tears on my head
Splash on the glass on the ground

How could you do this to me?
My heart, attack like ninjas
Who hate me and make fun of me
Because I am so different

The glass, it cuts like a knife
Oh, God, take me now
The wounds that take my blood
Drain me away

Also, I've included a copy of the Seattle Suicides' suicide note, for archival purposes

Dear League that never appreciated me,

All I wanted was to have a real franchise that people would appreciate and be friends with. But you didn't care, and so I've decided to kill my team.

I put Ted Williams and Babe Ruth on the same team, and I thought that was pretty special. But everyone just made fun of me because I didn't have any real infielders. I tried to get a real infield together, but they wouldn't let me. So I'm going to a better place, where no one will make fun of me for putting Carlos Guillen at 2B. And it'll be great, and they'll play Linkin Park all the time, and no one will make fun of me for listening to Linkin Park, and they didn't close that Hot Topic in the mall after that fire. It's going to be awesome!

Why couldn't you love me?

All the best,

Pungry and the Seattle Suicides

P.S. Please forward this letter to Linkin Park

Bonus Content!

A list of the 10 greatest cyborgs to ever play in Major League Baseball:

10. Kirk McCaskill
Canadian Inudstries, Project Zed-Zed 6

One of the first cyborgs developed in Canada, this unit, whose real name was K-RK 7000, was designed to be an efficient, clean-burning right-handed power pitcher. Unfortunately, Canadian experience with cybernetics was limited at the time, and the McCaskill's primary power control unit failed in just its second year of operation. While repairs were made, it was determined that much of the damage could not be fixed. McCaskill continued to pitch in the majors for several years afterwards, but was generally considered a disappointment and set back the progress of Canadian cyborgs several years.

9. Dan Pasqua
Futuretech Consortium, X-7X X

One of the earlier cyborgs to reach the majors, Dan Pasqua was designed to be a mid-range slugger. Before he could make his mark, however, several structural defects were found in his cyber-eyes. Despite numerous attempts at repair, the defects led to a premature end of Pasqua's active service.

8. Wally Joyner
Utech, Project No. D21

Despite being a robot, Wally Joyner was still very, very boring.

7. Tom Henke
Cyberdyne Industries, T-800

Tom Henke's nickname was the Terminator. Because he actually was the Terminator. Unlike the film adaptation, which was based on true events. Tom Henke did succeed at killing Sarah Connor, and thus preventing the birth of John Connor, the man who would save mankind from robot oppression. However, James Cameron found that a story about the end of mankind at the hands of deadly robots was not marketable, and so changed the ending.

6. Mike Marshall
Scientech Industries, Unit No. 11-47 Mk.1

Mike Marshall, tragically, came to believe that he was, in fact, a real human, and so has spent most of past few decades arguing strenuously that there was no reason that the human body couldn't pitch 200 innings in relief in a single season, assuming that his own accomplishment was proof of that.

5. Dale Murphy
Utech, Project No. D17

For a few seasons in the early '80s, it certainly appeared as if Dale Murphy would finally prove the viability of a cyborg baseball star. Unfortunately, the cyborg parts had not been properly rated for the heat and humidity of Atlanta, and quickly degraded, leaving him nothing but a former shell of himself after only a few years.

4. Devon White
Magnatech Industries, Unit X6-7492 White

Unfortunately, while the fielding software installed into White's robo-cortex worked to perfection, the programmers faced numerous problems with getting White's hitting tool to operate successfully. Ultimately abandoning the project in the late '90s after accepting that Devon White was a sunk cost.

3. Howard Johnson
Sumitomo Mitsui Group, Project Gemini Alpha

Part of the Sumitomo Mitsui Group's "Project Gemini", wherein two different cyborgs were created to test different pieces of next-generation hardware and software before all components were to be integrated into a final product, Howard Johnson carried the power and patience modules in his liquid memory, as well as bio-enhancements to his athleticism.

2. Matt Williams
Sumitomo Mitsui Group, Project Gemini Omega

The other half of "Project Gemini", Matt Williams also carried the power module, as well as the fielding module. While both halves of Project Gemini met with limited success in the Major Leagues, the attempt to pool those experiences into a single unit, codenamed "Howilliams Monsoon" led to the regrettable "Block 17 Incident", where Monsoon, unwilling to let mere humanity dictate his life, took control of an office building in an attempt to create cyborgocracy.

1. Barry Bonds
BALCO Labs

PEDs were just a cover story.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I take 1917 Walter Johnson. Sorry, been busy at work.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

ScottyJSno, you're on the clock.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Monathin posted:

ScottyJSno, you're on the clock.

Anyone interested in selling their pick?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Lineup for European Championship, to be changed upon Drafting hopefully

Senerio posted:

Just putting this in the main thread so I can look to it after the expansion cup.

Team Name: (Middle of) Nowhere Men (in Gauze) QUEENS MERCURIES

Home City: Queens, New York

Home Stadium: Shea Stadium

DH Preference: I hear they let cheaters in the no-DH league, so give me one of them.

30-Man Roster, Lineups, Rotation:
(Bottom of Post)

Strategy (Rate on a scale from -5 to +5)

Hit and Run: +1
Sacrifice Bunt: -5
Squeeze Play: -1
Trying for extra bases: +3
Stealing Bases: -5
Aggressively Tagging Up: -1
Pitch Outs (to prevent stolen bases): +2
Giving Intentional Walks: +1
Pitching Around Good Hitters: +2
Bringing the Infield In: -1
Guarding the Lines: 0
Making Cutoff Throws: 0
Bringing in Pinch Hitters: +2
Bringing in Pinch Runners: +2
Bringing in Defensive Replacements: +3
Starting Pitchers on Short Rest: 0
Letting pitchers pitch throw trouble: -1
Letting Pitchers rack up high pitch counts: +2
My Team’s Roster
1B Carl Yastrezemski 1969
2B Bobby Doerr 1949
SS Vern Stephens 1949
3B Wade Boggs 1988
LF Mike Greenwell 1988
CF Reggie Smith 1969
RF Dwight Evans 1988
C Carlton Fisk 1969
DH Ted Williams 1949
Bench Dom DiMaggio 1949 (Platoon)
Bench Rico Petrocelli 1969 (Platoon)
Bench Johnny Pesky 1949 (Platoon)
Bench Jim Rice 1988
Bench Mickey Cochrane 1927
(Rotation is also this)
SP 1988 Roger Clemens
SP 1927 Lefty Grove
SP 1988 Bruce Hurst
SP 1988 Mike Boddicker
SP 1949 Mel Parnell
RP 2000 Robb Nen
RP 1969 Sparky Lyle
RP 1988 Lee Smith
RP 1988 Bob Stanley
RP 1949 Tex Hughson
RP 1988 Dennis Lamp

Minors:
1 1949 Joe Dobson
2 1969 Jim Lonborg
3 1949 Earl Johnson
4 Kiki Cuyler from Marauder
5 1969 Bill Lee

Lineup:
3B Wade Boggs 1988/Johnny Pesky 1949
1B Carl Yastrezemski 1969
2B Bobby Doerr 1949
DH Ted Williams 1949
SS Vern Stephens 1949/Rico Petrocelli 1969
LF Mike Greenwell 1988/Jim Rice 1988
CF Reggie Smith 1969/Dom DiMaggio 1949
RF Dwight Evans 1988
C Carlton Fisk 1969/Mickey Cochrane 1927

Platoons:

Senerio fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 22, 2013

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
So uh, was it discussed in the IRC (my internet has been out) or are we just glossing over the fact that the Bangers came really, really close to beating the Macho Men? Because holy poo poo.

Or alternatively, the bangers were going to be relegated win or lose due to the ~unique circumstances~ and I missed that bit.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
'89 B Bonds Please

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

The Million Dollar Men pick '05 Nap Lajoie with their first round dispersal draft pick.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
Was '89 Bonds over 2000 Bonds the right pick?

GrickleGrass
Dec 18, 2011

I speak for the trees.

ScottyJSno posted:

Was '89 Bonds over 2000 Bonds the right pick?

Only time will tell. Someone before thought '89 had more merit, probably because of versatility, but you would think '00 Bonds could hit better. Not sure that mogul really has '00 Bonds as good as he should be, though.

Really, you shouldn't be worrying because you got Barrold loving Bonds.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

The Harvard Elites with their vast resources perfect cloning and pick '00 Barry Bonds.

edit: Gricklegrass is on the clock.

Mooseontheloose fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Feb 20, 2013

GrickleGrass
Dec 18, 2011

I speak for the trees.

With the 7th overall pick in the dispersal draft, the Montreal Manatees select Roger Clemens ('86). Beauty before age.

Here's hoping young Clemens who had yet to prove himself in the Bigs performs better than old, experienced Clemens who had discovered powerful butt injections.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

GrickleGrass posted:

Only time will tell. Someone before thought '89 had more merit, probably because of versatility, but you would think '00 Bonds could hit better. Not sure that mogul really has '00 Bonds as good as he should be, though.

Really, you shouldn't be worrying because you got Barrold loving Bonds.

2000 Bonds will hit home runs and draw walks.

1989 Bonds will hit a few less home runs & strike out a bit more but he'll steal a bunch more bases & probably be a little better defensively thanks to being 11 years younger.

Neither is a bad selection, but which one's better for which team is too heavily dependent on your stadium, your pitching & the hitters around him to definitively say one's better than the other.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007
The Idaho Potatoes select 1964 Mickey Mantle.

edit: gingemidget and the Walney Rakers are on the clock.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

oldskool posted:

2000 Bonds will hit home runs and draw walks.

1989 Bonds will hit a few less home runs & strike out a bit more but he'll steal a bunch more bases & probably be a little better defensively thanks to being 11 years younger.

Neither is a bad selection, but which one's better for which team is too heavily dependent on your stadium, your pitching & the hitters around him to definitively say one's better than the other.

Well, we will see how the Dual Bonds do @ the Huntington Avenue Grounds.

Ginge
Sep 8, 2011

Well, Chippy is already my favourite character!

With the ninth pick, the Walney Rakers select '62 Willie Mays.

Armitage is on the clock.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

I was sad that we had a run on center fielders until I saw that Mel Ott can play center. I need a bat in Center, so '34 Mel Ott is my main main.

Armitage fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Feb 20, 2013

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
It's almost a live draft!

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Bograt of the Tijuana Mules is on the clock!

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010

cbx posted:

That's fine. I'll be at a party tonight but I do have PMs here on SA now, if you want to talk shop.
I was hoping Ott would survive through the end of the 1st round; since he didn't, I guess we have nothing to talk about. No way any of the remaining 3B capable players are worth that kind of package.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007
The Luna Landers reject the notion of entering a tournament for a lesser title. We've already had our fair share, and our only goal now is the Big One.

We are also looking to trade up for one of the next few Dispersal Draft picks. We have high-end starting pitching to offer, including 1946 Bob Feller.

Bograt
Nov 4, 2009

MagNIFicent

The Mules take '34 Gabby Hartnett.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Gabriel Pope is up.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Taking Roger Clemens 95.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Picked Cochrane writing an essay so can't pretty this up.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Theacox

If you're not going to take the EC prize, what would you trade it to me for? I've got a bunch of stuff that I'd be willing to sell that is potentially better than what's on the board for you: The Mystery Envelope, Walter Johnson, and 1930 Gabby Hartnett - a younger version of the guy who just went two picks ago.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Feb 20, 2013

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Theacox

If you're not going to take the EC prize, what would you trade it to me for? I've got a bunch of stuff that I'd be willing to sell that is potentially better than what's on the board for you: The Mystery Envelope, Walter Johnson, and 1930 Gabby Hartnett - a younger version of the guy who just went two picks ago.

I need middle infield help first and foremost.

edit:
Although, what year is your Big Train?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

theacox posted:

I need middle infield help first and foremost.

edit:
Although, what year is your Big Train?

1924. I also have Robin Yount and Ryne Sandberg that I can bundle up, something like Ryne, Yount, And the envelope or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
Old Johnson is not as appetizing to me. Years on you Ryne and Robin?