Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

Now I'm curious: How will you know that future claimants of that Jackpot are being sincere?
Well, you and somebody else got that jackpot more or less simultaneously, so I'll figure something out between both your suggestions and everyone else can please themselves :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Regarding UT'99, I've re-discovered an old love: Carry the Flag. The original problem? A lot of CTF maps have a propensity to deadlock, especially when the teams are packed with bots. It seems that the skills of one team more or less cancel out the skills of the opposing team, leaving you to break stalemate. A bot or two may be lucky enough to grab the enemy flag, but it's all too easy for them to be overwhelmed and, regardless of where the flag drops, all an opponent needs to do is touch it to return it.

Carry the Flag says "too easy!" and makes you return your flag by physically carrying your flag back to the stand. While the rule doesn't completely revolutionize the game, that's not such a bad thing. It does make for some seriously tense "longest yard" scenarios, though, where a flag creeps back and forth across no man's land as the two teams wrestle to steal/return it. The AI does really well with the whole concept, too. I have won in maps where I don't think I have ever won a game with the AI, and have lost in maps where a victory was ordinarily a guarantee. Setting up bots for defensive roles is suddenly a very important strategy because the longer your flag is missing, the harder you will have to work to simply return it to base--you can't just run over and tag it and go back to a completely offensive strategy.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Forgot to say thanks for fixing the fullscreen hud! Look pretty awesome now.

Also I finally won a game for the first time! Wizards in monster trucks is an fantastic concept sadly underused in popular culture...

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Kins posted:

Well, you and somebody else got that jackpot more or less simultaneously, so I'll figure something out between both your suggestions and everyone else can please themselves :)

Alright, sounds good :)

But could you answer my other question: What do Jackpots do and what triggers them?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

But could you answer my other question: What do Jackpots do and what triggers them?
Jackpots are triggered by rolling three of the same number (4-4-4 for example), or rolling special combinations. They do all sorts of things, ranging from spawning special monsters, giving you tons of points items, giving EVERYTHING a chance of spawning that round, reeling off weird trivia or just smiting you on the spot. One special jackpot, 9-9-9, has a different effect on every map!

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Kins posted:

just smiting you on the spot.
That sounds incredibly bullshit and unfun. At least make it a thing where the player has a near zero chance of survival, but can still make it out if they're careful. Maybe spawn a bunch of hard enemies and take away the player's ability to shoot any sort of weapon?

Durk Hendrunkqs
Dec 12, 2006

It's useless.
I've been playing Reelism non stop since this versions release. I got my brother and friends playing it now too. I can't wait till each slot goes up to 30 or 40 different ones in future versions. Do you have a list of the music that was used in each level? There are some songs I recognize but can't put the game to it.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
If Roland Emmerich ever made a Doom mod, it might look something like this:

(died playing Reelism, suddenly this poo poo started happening at 1FPS :v:)

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.

Stuntman posted:

That sounds incredibly bullshit and unfun. At least make it a thing where the player has a near zero chance of survival, but can still make it out if they're careful. Maybe spawn a bunch of hard enemies and take away the player's ability to shoot any sort of weapon?

Honestly, jackpots and special reel combos are so rare that it really shouldn't be an issue. I've put in like 5 or 6 hours and got maybe one or two.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Regarding UT'99, I've re-discovered an old love: Carry the Flag. The original problem? A lot of CTF maps have a propensity to deadlock, especially when the teams are packed with bots. It seems that the skills of one team more or less cancel out the skills of the opposing team, leaving you to break stalemate. A bot or two may be lucky enough to grab the enemy flag, but it's all too easy for them to be overwhelmed and, regardless of where the flag drops, all an opponent needs to do is touch it to return it.

Carry the Flag says "too easy!" and makes you return your flag by physically carrying your flag back to the stand. While the rule doesn't completely revolutionize the game, that's not such a bad thing. It does make for some seriously tense "longest yard" scenarios, though, where a flag creeps back and forth across no man's land as the two teams wrestle to steal/return it. The AI does really well with the whole concept, too. I have won in maps where I don't think I have ever won a game with the AI, and have lost in maps where a victory was ordinarily a guarantee. Setting up bots for defensive roles is suddenly a very important strategy because the longer your flag is missing, the harder you will have to work to simply return it to base--you can't just run over and tag it and go back to a completely offensive strategy.

I really like this idea and I have no clue why a game hasn't tried this for their default CTF rule set. My biggest pet peeve with multiplayer games are modes that stalemate too easily and drag on. Monday Night Combat was the worst for this in recent memory.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
I tried out the newest version of Reelism. Jesus Christ, I suck. I'm usually speeding all over the map, trying to pick up a decent weapon when the new reels came in, and I either manage to get one new gun and then die, or not manage to find a health kit and then die. :smithicide:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Depending on the reels, it just really isn't worthwhile to engage enemies in a given round. Like, it's fine if you've got the Wolfenstein guns and you're fighting zombies because the chaingun will pretty much melt them all day long, but there's just no benefit to trying to kill Barons of Hell with the stupid Heretic crossbow.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I suck at Reelism, generally because I tend to slide off the map like a complete idiot :v:

Need more practice.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

Depending on the reels, it just really isn't worthwhile to engage enemies in a given round. Like, it's fine if you've got the Wolfenstein guns and you're fighting zombies because the chaingun will pretty much melt them all day long, but there's just no benefit to trying to kill Barons of Hell with the stupid Heretic crossbow.

This. On the larger maps like Gutrot Island you can just run around in a big circuit around the map and avoid conflict.

Though if you can get the crossbow you should be trying to find the hammer. God drat that's my favorite weapon in the game.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Convex posted:

If Roland Emmerich ever made a Doom mod, it might look something like this:

(died playing Reelism, suddenly this poo poo started happening at 1FPS :v:)
The Alien's attack seems to be causing a lot of FPS drama with this version for some weird reason. I'll have to play around with it.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Segmentation Fault posted:

This. On the larger maps like Gutrot Island you can just run around in a big circuit around the map and avoid conflict.

I've found that the new map Astrolab is so easy because of how many defensible positions there are, and how you can stay mobile and not get trapped anywhere. It's actually a really good, newbie-friendly map, where you can get a handle of the reels and the guns.

fe: Also, the number of enemies generated by a given reel is technically finite, so even if you do get a lovely round like Melee Masters and Order of the Hellish Knight (usually an instant restart for me, but whatever), if you can tough it out until a later round that's really nice (Gunfinity and NRG in the same round, for example), you can get crazily aggressive and kill off a lot of the Barons that are still lingering from earlier.

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Though if you can get the crossbow you should be trying to find the hammer. God drat that's my favorite weapon in the game.

This is why I gave up on Reelism. Straferunning around the map in a circle so that none of the enemies will hit you seemed like it was always the only way to win rounds. You didn't even have enough ammo to kill most of the enemies. Has it gotten any better about actually rewarding combat in the latest versions?

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

I really hope Gutrot Island gets a remake in an upcoming version. There are two fantastic spaces—the mall and the city streets—and one terrible space, the enormous cargo ship. I want the mall in the center so I can work it through my circuits and have a huge cruise ship with tons of hallways and poo poo that starts at one end of the island and ends at another. Or something.

Besides needing more player starts, JRPGVillage's boss spawn is really bad. It's one tiny little room off in a cavern, and there are hundreds of items and powerup spawns. It's impossible to lose, and boring since the bosses are typically too big to leave the room, and when they do they just fall under water and can't get past the two crusher traps.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Bloodmobile posted:

This is why I gave up on Reelism. Straferunning around the map in a circle so that none of the enemies will hit you seemed like it was always the only way to win rounds. You didn't even have enough ammo to kill most of the enemies. Has it gotten any better about actually rewarding combat in the latest versions?

It really depends on the map. Some of the new maps are better about providing enough pickups to keep you armed. Also, there are new reels and none of them are really punishing so you don't get Famine or Find the Antidote over and over and over and over again like you used to simply because there are more "average" reels instead.

e: While on this Reelism bent, I've got a couple comments about the new version:

1) It's really disingenuous to get the flame immunity reel, only to find that Sectoids can still damage you. It looks like fire, man!
2) Why can't the Duke weapons use common ammo? What makes the chaingun cannon so different from the other two chainguns? It sucks getting the Duke reel since you get a bunch of mediocre weapons with no ammo, and as soon as the round is over you have a bunch of dead weight guns that you can't refill.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Feb 18, 2013

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
More Reelism chat:

The Baron hand feels useless. Between the psionic amplifier (a somewhat mediocre weapon given its limited damage to enemies and slow rate of fire) and Jetpack Larry's laser rifle (a joke weapon), what should feel like a really fun weapon reel is more of a negative. Baron Hand fires way too slow given the damage it's projectile does. I'd make it fire a lot faster, perhaps a little faster than the standard shotgun. Also, more enemy weapons would be cool. I want the Scientist's throwing knives! Also maybe dual revolvers?

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

RyokoTK posted:

1) It's really disingenuous to get the flame immunity reel, only to find that Sectoids can still damage you. It looks like fire, man!
2) Why can't the Duke weapons use common ammo? What makes the chaingun cannon so different from the other two chainguns? It sucks getting the Duke reel since you get a bunch of mediocre weapons with no ammo, and as soon as the round is over you have a bunch of dead weight guns that you can't refill.

I feel a lot of the Duke weapon reel's problems could be solved by making the ammo drops more generous and replacing the lackluster freeze-thrower with a totally-kickin'-rad Devastator. Also the alien reel could really use a second enemy-types; as it is, getting them on open maps such as Abridged will often spell doom for your ability to see past a million flame sprites.

Still having loads of fun with Reelism, though! I absolutely adore the second forms some of the bosses possess (I couldn't help but crack up at THE MOTHERFUCKING WIZARD IN A MONSTER TRUCK, and I'd love to see more attack patterns/alternate forms implemented in the future.

Poor Dog-Pope and the Macguffin could really use something to make them less of a joke to fight

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

ChickenHeart posted:

I feel a lot of the Duke weapon reel's problems could be solved by making the ammo drops more generous and replacing the lackluster freeze-thrower with a totally-kickin'-rad Devastator.
The Devastator's in! It spawns if you also have the HYPERPOWER! reel going.

horse mans posted:

I really hope Gutrot Island gets a remake in an upcoming version. There are two fantastic spaces—the mall and the city streets—and one terrible space, the enormous cargo ship. I want the mall in the center so I can work it through my circuits and have a huge cruise ship with tons of hallways and poo poo that starts at one end of the island and ends at another. Or something.

Besides needing more player starts, JRPGVillage's boss spawn is really bad. It's one tiny little room off in a cavern, and there are hundreds of items and powerup spawns. It's impossible to lose, and boring since the bosses are typically too big to leave the room, and when they do they just fall under water and can't get past the two crusher traps.
Gutrot could probably do with a rebuild due to the limitations of Doom's renderer. JRPGVille's boss room is definitely gonna get a rebuild.

The Baron hand feels useless. Between the psionic amplifier (a somewhat mediocre weapon given its limited damage to enemies and slow rate of fire) and Jetpack Larry's laser rifle (a joke weapon), what should feel like a really fun weapon reel is more of a negative. Baron Hand fires way too slow given the damage it's projectile does. I'd make it fire a lot faster, perhaps a little faster than the standard shotgun. Also, more enemy weapons would be cool. I want the Scientist's throwing knives! Also maybe dual revolvers?
Yeah, Blue Magic is the weakest weapon reel in my opinion. I'll pump them up a bit and see about adding some more stuff.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Good find! I felt that CTF usually deadlocked too easily. Bots on defense could easily take out anyone with the flag then scoop it up before anyone got close to it. That made things slow down to a crawl until you got a lucky break and broke through their defenses yourself by having the Shield Belt and a powerful weapon (along with 200 health, depending on the level). This should make things more frantic and fun.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
The aliens, are the enemies I hate the most, personally, they seem to do ridiculous amounts of damage to me. Jetpack Larry always seems to tear me a new one as well, mostly because practically everytime I shoot at him, he moves out of the way. gently caress you, Jetpack Larry. Also, gonna agree with Blue Magic being too weak.

Also, for whatever reason, I seem to get The World's Most Boringest Ghost as the boss (when I make it there) more often than not. Wizard in a Monster Truck was amazing though. I fought him in the Flesh Palace and destroyed his truck, but then I hid in the bunker and tried to shoot out with a rocket launcher and hit the top of the opening.

Still loving it.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

I usually get ranged enemies right away, and weapon spawns seem to be in a galaxy far, far away. (Or at least behind waves of Nazis.)

^ Huh, I got melee weapons with Aliens, they didn't seem to do that much damage... granted, I almost always get Nazis.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Just got the Reelism Megaweapons/Boxes combo that spawned treasure chests with Soul Spheres and Megaweapons all over the map

:iia:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Just got the Reelism Megaweapons/Boxes combo that spawned treasure chests with Soul Spheres and Megaweapons all over the map

:iia:

Generally, when I get the Crate Shower reel, it's combined with dog mode or tank mode. And the dog/tank mode reels will keep up until the boss.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Every time I get Crate Shower, I walk into a live grenade and die within about ten seconds because I'm bad at pattern recognition.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

quote:

Carry The Flag

Yodzilla posted:

I really like this idea and I have no clue why a game hasn't tried this for their default CTF rule set. My biggest pet peeve with multiplayer games are modes that stalemate too easily and drag on. Monday Night Combat was the worst for this in recent memory.

I'm pretty positive SOME game has included this, I can't remember which though. I remember playing tons of different mutations and variations on CTF, sometimes one flag, sometimes two, sometimes you have to have your flag to score the enemy's flag, sometimes you take it back to the flag location, etc. Can't remember which game though... so long ago...

Also, lots of people don't realize (game design!) but TFC The_Hunted is really just capture the flag with special rules to prevent stalemates (take turns, only one team can have the flag, only one person IS the flag)

And then TF2's Payload mode was an improvement on this still, where the flag was no longer a person, preventing the problem with having a noobie VIP in The_Hunted. The bomb is effectively a flag, but on a track. Payload Race returns to classic CTF style with two "flags" that each move independently (bombs).

Then there's other variants like Halo's Oddball (hold the flag, don't cap it) or Duke Forever's Capture the Babe.

They're really all just CTF variants. There's tons more.

Speaking of old game modes that haven't shown up in modern gaming (I miss all those options, don't you?), I played a freeze tag mod for Quake3 that was SO MUCH FUN. If you died you were frozen in place, and an ally had to unfreeze you. It got pretty crazy.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Freeze tag was A Good Mod, especially to play with pubs since you didn't really need a ton of coordination or inherent skill to be successful, and reviving your teammates had obvious benefits so most people were willing to participate.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
UT99 had a Freeze Tag mod, as well, which I play to this day. It's a nice change from ordinary team deathmatch.

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble
Quake Live has a Freezetag mode, but it's only for Pro subscribers :(

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

BillyMays posted:

I've been playing Reelism non stop since this versions release. I got my brother and friends playing it now too. I can't wait till each slot goes up to 30 or 40 different ones in future versions. Do you have a list of the music that was used in each level? There are some songs I recognize but can't put the game to it.
They all seem to be SNES game music. One of them is really obscure, it's from the game inside the Japan only Bandai Satellaview addon.

I also recognized Smash TV's music and the battle music from Final Fantasy Mystic Quest.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
There are several tunes from Gradius 3, which is fine because that game had a phenomenal soundtrack. There's also at least one from Mega Man X.

Spaz Medicine
Feb 22, 2008

Freeze Tag was so good. I emailed TF2 guy Robin Walker a few years ago saying he should add it in the game. He basically just said "Yeah freezetag is awesome," and it was never added. :(

I tried Quake Live a while ago to see if it had Freeze Tag, and it did, but you had to pay them money to play it. I think UT2K4 was the last game where people played it consistently. I've always wondered why it was never officially implemented into anything.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Spaz Medicine posted:

I think UT2K4 was the last game where people played it consistently. I've always wondered why it was never officially implemented into anything.

Because modern soldiers don't freeze :smugdog:

sturgeon general
Jun 27, 2005

Smells like sushi.

Spaz Medicine posted:

Freeze Tag was so good. I emailed TF2 guy Robin Walker a few years ago saying he should add it in the game. He basically just said "Yeah freezetag is awesome," and it was never added. :(

Hats and microtransactions are higher priority than actual gameplay enhancements.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I've been replying Unreal 1, and I've forgotten how much fun combat is in that game. The weapons are pretty odd at first, but when you start really experimenting, there are so many ways to gently caress with the Skaarj and Krall in that game. The Razorjack is ridiculously powerful if you can easily land headshots (as in, you can decapitate a Skaarj in two headshots powerful), the Eightball's secondary fire mode is way more useful than the primary one, and the goop gun is surprisingly powerful if you rely mostly on the second fire mode instead of just spamming it everywhere. Recently, I've become a fan of doing goop gun hit and runs with the Invisibility.

If you played U1 mostly using hitscan weapons and the Flak Cannon, you really should replay it and use the oddball weapons. Decapitating lizardmen with loving razor blades, melting their faces off with the goop gun, or playing "catch the four Eightball grenades" with them are way more fun than just plinking them to death with hitscan weapons or Flak Cannon secondary fire.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Because modern soldiers don't freeze :smugdog:

Its funny, because if I could add one feature to UT99/Quake it would be Halo's "DIY" game modes. You could make just about anything with those, although not freezetag. That and Gungame/Arms race mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 10 minutes!
Toilet Rascal

closeted republican posted:

"catch the four Eightball grenades"

This was the most effective way to play Unreal since the AI at the time was unable to dodge them (and it would dodge the normal rockets almost every time).

I love just how many features got crammed into the Eightball. Fire either rockets or grenades, any number between one and six, and with optional guidance.