Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Aramoro posted:

If you're throwing 15 Scotch Bonnets in your chilli then I'm going to go ahead and say your taste buds are broken and you have some sort of nerve damage in your mouth. Scotch Bonnets are 40 times hotter than jalapeños.

You wont generally feel anything on your hands, the point is it's very hard to wash off. So you cut them up and wash your hands then half an hour later you wipe your eye and set it on fire by mistake.

And you're going to have to take a leak eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mofette
Jan 9, 2004

Hey you! It's the sound, in your head goes round and round

Aramoro posted:

If you're throwing 15 Scotch Bonnets in your chilli then I'm going to go ahead and say your taste buds are broken and you have some sort of nerve damage in your mouth. Scotch Bonnets are 40 times hotter than jalapeños.

You wont generally feel anything on your hands, the point is it's very hard to wash off. So you cut them up and wash your hands then half an hour later you wipe your eye and set it on fire by mistake.

I was dumb the first time I used one and used my fingernail to remove a couple of seeds from the outside.

It burned under my thumbnail for nearly a week!

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

cornface posted:

And you're going to have to take a leak eventually.

One of my housemates in college did this once. It was loving hilarious. He fell to his knees and needed about ten minutes before he could get back up.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Dick on a bed of coals :(

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Kenning posted:

My hands dry out and crack easily due to some lovely eczema or something and the last time I chopped up a bunch of chiles without gloves on the juice soaked into the cracks and it was seriously one of the worst nights I've ever spent. I tried every folk remedy in the book – soap, milk, whiskey, vinegar, olive oil – but nothing got rid of the burning for more than a few seconds. Falling asleep for the evening when your hand feels like it's resting on a bed of coals is pretty difficult.

Ice cream works really well. Of course you need to have some and not mind wasting it

Enkor
Dec 17, 2005
That is not it at all.
I was very careless about handling tiny peppers without gloves once, such that it eventually soaked into my skin and made half my hand uncomfortable. Milk and soap did very little, except they were cool, and it relieved the, well, burn. As long as I could keep my hand in a bowl of cooled water, I was fine. Maybe a cold pack would work for a while in bed, even.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I am also in the "careless with habaneros = burning hands all day" club.

alkaloid
Aug 17, 2004

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!
How in everything sacred did I miss a chili thread...ignant.

I've found that I have to vary my spices wildly depending on the audience - me vs. me and my wife + kids. I've also found that chili that simmers for three hours, no matter the amount of spice, is waaaaaay spicier than chili that simmers for an hour.

That said, here is my basic recipe, with notes about what to watch for.

A 5 lb. chub of 80/20 meat (or whatever your market has - the cheaper, the better)
Brown it in a pot
Let the fat ride the top
Put a layer of comino (cumin) on top of all the meat, maybe to a quarter inch thick
Dump in some garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder (optionally fresh substitutes) - I use, to varying degrees, around 3-4 T of each.
Paprika - a mild pepper powder that is pretty much just color - 2-3 T
Black pepper - watch this dude; simmer too long, and your chili will by SPICY! Depending on audience, 2-3 T
White pepper - same as above - 1-2 tsp
Cayenne pepper - same as above - 1-2 tsp
Grind some sea salt around the top of everything, .5-1 tsp
Brown sugar is optional, but if you like a little sweetness, do it - I put in a nice size chunk, maybe 2" diameter
I small can tomato paste (or one regular can tomato sauce)
Optional can of Ro-Tel (diced 'maters and green chilis)

In Texas, it's high treason to add beans. I add 'em if the chili is for my wife and kids, but not for me. I'll either cook pintos in a crock pot to add, with their own spices, or, more likely, dump in a can of black beans and a can of pintos.

Heat - I nearly always add heat to taste afterwards, because I like trying all the various hot sauces offered at my local Spec's. However, I did drop in five drops of Dave's Ultimate Inferno to this mix and it was so hot, my wife was putting Ketchup into the chili! I like taste, not pure heat!!

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
So I made chili yesterday.

Ingredients:

2 pounds sirloin, cubed
1 pound bison steak, cubed
1 pig heart (about 3/4 pound), cubed
1 yellow onion
1 16 oz can of tomatoes
2 cans beef broth
Chili powder (storebought, haven't gotten around to making my own yet)
1 can chipotles in adobo
cumin
salt
crushed red pepper
1 24 oz can of kidney beans

I browned all the meat with salt and pepper in olive oil, put that in the crock pot. Then I browned the onions, cooked off the tomatoes and broth a little. Everything went in the crock pot and it cooked for 5 hours on low. The next morning I cooked it for about 4 more on high to thicken everything up. It's loving delicious, great crowd-pleaser at my fiancee's parents' Super Bowl party. The sirloin and bison fell apart as expected, but the cubes of heart kept their shape and snappy texture. I'm gonna be going out of my way to find pig and cow hearts for chili from now on.

I have a pig liver (same hand-raised pig as the heart) I was thinking of adding. I was gonna soak it in milk for a few hours, then puree the liver in a blender, dump it in and cook the chili for maybe twenty more minutes. Anyone think that's an awful or a great idea? I got it from a Cook's Illustrated recipe for ragu bolognese that I make all the time, where you add pureed chicken livers in at the end.

alkaloid
Aug 17, 2004

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!

Martello posted:

1 pig heart (about 3/4 pound), cubed

Did the heart still have its, uh, "organy" flavor?

I mean, chili is meant to cover up cheap cuts of meat on the trail, when cowboys were eating whatever meat they could find (including the opossums and squirrels they shot).

I've not thought about using organ meat before, since we have a high availability of regular meat, but I'm intrigued.

Was the texture strange still?

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

alkaloid posted:

Did the heart still have its, uh, "organy" flavor?

I mean, chili is meant to cover up cheap cuts of meat on the trail, when cowboys were eating whatever meat they could find (including the opossums and squirrels they shot).

I've not thought about using organ meat before, since we have a high availability of regular meat, but I'm intrigued.

Was the texture strange still?

I didn't detect an organ flavor. Hearts in general don't have that - I've had grilled beef heart at churrascurias and they taste like very lean steak. I think my little brothers have another heart in the freezer from their two pigs, and if so I'm gonna try cooking it a different way to see how it tastes.

The texture was different, but I liked it a lot. Had a nice bite to it. I recommend trying organ meats in chili, for pretty much the reasons you listed. Also, organs tend to be cheap as gently caress.

alkaloid
Aug 17, 2004

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus!

Martello posted:

Also, organs tend to be cheap as gently caress.

Cool, I'm gonna give it a test run in the near future.

You would think that organ meat would be cheap, but pig heads and tripas here cost nearly as much as regular meat. Seems anything that counts as "home-cookin'" necessitates clientele getting screwed.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Heart is muscle. There's no organ flavor. Heart just needs to be trimmed and cleaned well because it's got lots of chambers and stuff so it's got silverskin and other connective tissue and all that to hold it all together, but otherwise it's just muscle.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

cornface posted:

Wear gloves because soap has basically no effect on the horrors that await you if you chop them barehanded.

This information would have been extremely useful to me about 30 minutes ago.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Martello posted:

I have a pig liver (same hand-raised pig as the heart) I was thinking of adding. I was gonna soak it in milk for a few hours, then puree the liver in a blender, dump it in and cook the chili for maybe twenty more minutes. Anyone think that's an awful or a great idea?

I did this yesterday. It was an awful idea.

The liver was I think a little over a pound. It was waaaay too much for what was left of the chili at the time. It became liver mash with chili mixed in. I saved it today with a pound of ground beef, a pound and a half of chorizo, and two pounds of ground hand-raised pork. I browned those and then cooked down a couple small cans of tomatoes and two cans of chipotles in adobo with a bottle of Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout until it was a thick, dark red heaven. All of that went into the crock-pot with the rest of the LIVERchili and now it's delicious. Just a nice hint of irony liver flavor. If I ever do it again, I'll use like a couple slices of liver.

This is how I ate it for dinner tonight. The corn bread was from scratch of course.

DeltronZero
Jun 30, 2007
Today I made Iron Leg's chili from page 1 with a couple additions:

1 tbsp Bragg's aminos (soy or tamari sauce would work)

1 tsp liquid smoke

4 cans of kidney beans (you know damned well that beans are fantastic)

1 3.3 oz can of San Marcos chipotles in adobo sauce (thank you thread. I will never again make chili without this smokey ambrosia)

This poo poo was a goddamned revelation. I've been making chili for years and this tasted like a completely different and superior dish.

My house still smells like spicey angel farts.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
This is what I did today:

Diced up half a sweet onion, half an orange bell pepper, an entire red bell pepper, four cloves of garlic. While that was sauteing, cubed two pounds of chuck steak and seared it in small batches in canola oil in the bottom of the pot.

Deglazed the pot with a shot of Jack and added 1 can each of diced tomatoes, tomato sauce(*), corn, pinto beans, and black beans. (Drained the latter three first, tomato sauce following this recipe: http://www.cookingcomically.com/?page_id=33.)

Added the veggies and steak, and chopped up a couple serranos and threw those in too. Added a good unmeasured shake of various spices (onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, cayenne, chili powder), a tablespoon of sriracha, some fresh ground black pepper, a good squeeze of mesquite honey, and about 8 oz of the hard cider pictured.

Topped up with more tomato sauce. I have a can of the chipotles in adobo, but this is already way too busy (and almost too spicy) so I'm saving them for next time.

What should I have done differently?

EDIT for timg

EDIT #2 for final product:

sfwarlock fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Feb 14, 2013

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta

sfwarlock posted:

This is what I did today:

Diced up half a sweet onion, half an orange bell pepper, an entire red bell pepper, four cloves of garlic. While that was sauteing, cubed two pounds of chuck steak and seared it in small batches in canola oil in the bottom of the pot.

Deglazed the pot with a shot of Jack and added 1 can each of diced tomatoes, tomato sauce(*), corn, pinto beans, and black beans. (Drained the latter three first, tomato sauce following this recipe: http://www.cookingcomically.com/?page_id=33.)

Added the veggies and steak, and chopped up a couple serranos and threw those in too. Added a good unmeasured shake of various spices (onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, cayenne, chili powder), a tablespoon of sriracha, some fresh ground black pepper, a good squeeze of mesquite honey, and about 8 oz of the hard cider pictured.

Topped up with more tomato sauce. I have a can of the chipotles in adobo, but this is already way too busy (and almost too spicy) so I'm saving them for next time.

What should I have done differently?

EDIT for timg

When you say bell peppers you mean what us Aussies call capsicum right? Don't use them. They are nothing but flavourless mush in a chili. In Australia all I can get are standard long red, long green, jalapeños and if I am exceedingly lucky habaneros. I have seen people mention different kinds of chilis on here so maybe look back in the thread a little bit and see what kinds of chili people have used. I can only go by reputation as they are also unavailable in Australia but I hear the chipotles in adobo sauce are unreal so whack them in for sure.

I personally prefer my chili without tomatoes. The flavour should be all about the chili and I find tomato a little bit distracting. You are doubling up a little there by adding garlic powder as well as garlic cloves. My philosophy with garlic is 'too much garlic is never enough' but I'd probably just use extra garlic cloves if I wanted it really garlicy. Sriracha sauce is also very garlicy and to me is more of an asian chili flavour so personally I'd leave that out. If you enjoy the taste of it in there however, by all means leave it in.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

fuckpot posted:

When you say bell peppers you mean what us Aussies call capsicum right? Don't use them. They are nothing but flavourless mush in a chili. In Australia all I can get are standard long red, long green, jalapeños and if I am exceedingly lucky habaneros. I have seen people mention different kinds of chilis on here so maybe look back in the thread a little bit and see what kinds of chili people have used. I can only go by reputation as they are also unavailable in Australia but I hear the chipotles in adobo sauce are unreal so whack them in for sure.

I personally prefer my chili without tomatoes. The flavour should be all about the chili and I find tomato a little bit distracting. You are doubling up a little there by adding garlic powder as well as garlic cloves. My philosophy with garlic is 'too much garlic is never enough' but I'd probably just use extra garlic cloves if I wanted it really garlicy. Sriracha sauce is also very garlicy and to me is more of an asian chili flavour so personally I'd leave that out. If you enjoy the taste of it in there however, by all means leave it in.

Next batch: I left out the sriracha. I did put in jalapenos, serranos, chipotles in adobo sauce, and cayenne. (And the merciless peppers of Quetzlzacatenango!) Balanced (sort of) by brown sugar, honey, and 12 oz or so of Mexican coke.

I've kind of officially gone crazy.

EDIT: This stove is a relic from the 40s and it takes way too much futzing to maintain a good simmer. :(

sfwarlock fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Feb 16, 2013

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta
So I just ordered some of these - http://www.amazon.com/Empacadora-San-Marcos-Chipotle-11-Ounce/dp/B000H27MYI

I am going to throw them in my next chili batch along with a ghost pepper or two that I bought off ebay. How many chipotle peppers should I throw in if I am using roughly 2kg of meat? Also, how much more awesome can I expect my next chili batch to be due to these things? I have read nothing but rave reviews about them in my googling.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

It will be substantially more awesome. The thing with chipotles in adobo is that the peppers themselves have decent heat, but the adobo is super spicy. Depending on how many chilis you use in the rest of your chili, I'd toss in anywhere between 4 and 7 chipotles. You can chop them up, but they'll probably dissolve for the most part anyway. Use the adobo to up your heat if necessary.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta
Okay cool. Just gotta wait for them to arrive in the mail which should be this week. Then I have to wait for the ghost peppers which will takes ages.

The last batch I made using ironleg's recipe I made the stock myself and it owned. The only thing premade (well apart from brewing own beer etc) was the chili powder. I might make my own ghost chili powder with the ghost peppers I am buying. I can hardly loving wait.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I'd use half a can to 1 can of 11oz chipolte for 4kg of meat as a starting place. forget the ghost peppers - or make them in to a hot sauce. you can always add more heat, but it's not as easy to take it away.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Ghost peppers are mostly heat, while chipotle and the attached adobo give a lovely smoky flavor + some heat. There's no point in some dick wagging competition regarding heat, because you can buy pure heat from the chemical man if you like.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Team Anasta
Well I have tried throwing a bunch of habaneros in it in the past and while I enjoyed the flavour the heat wasn't quite high enough for me. I bought 50-60 dried ghost pepper pods off ebay so I can chuck one or two in the curries and chilis that I make to easily get it up to the right level.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

fuckpot posted:

Well I have tried throwing a bunch of habaneros in it in the past and while I enjoyed the flavour the heat wasn't quite high enough for me. I bought 50-60 dried ghost pepper pods off ebay so I can chuck one or two in the curries and chilis that I make to easily get it up to the right level.

you can easily do this with most any other pepper and actually add some flavor too, ghost peppers are almost entirely a gimmick foodwise as far as I can tell.

that said, I personally think habaneros are really unique as far as peppers go, and don't blame you for being disappointed with them. they have such a particular flavor and level of heat that I would never use them in anything but their traditional caribbean-food roles.

if I want mainly spice and not so much of a distinct flavor, I usually use dried indian red pepper flake, or thai bird chilies. I think thai chilies are pretty neutral flavor wise, but I also might just be in love with their flavor. no telling.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Honestly, I could probably make an entire chili using only Red Fresnos and Serranos if I had enough chili powder/chipotles in adobo to dope it with. I'm pretty sure that dried chilis have the most chili-friendly flavor, so I'd always lean toward adding more of those for heat. It just does wonders for the complexity.

Speaking of, I made a paste of anchos, guajillos, New Mexicos, and arbols for the last chili I made by just soaking them in hot water and then food processing them with a bit of the soaking water. Any ideas on good applications for the leftovers?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

fuckpot posted:

So I just ordered some of these - http://www.amazon.com/Empacadora-San-Marcos-Chipotle-11-Ounce/dp/B000H27MYI

I am going to throw them in my next chili batch along with a ghost pepper or two that I bought off ebay. How many chipotle peppers should I throw in if I am using roughly 2kg of meat? Also, how much more awesome can I expect my next chili batch to be due to these things? I have read nothing but rave reviews about them in my googling.

After you try these and see how amazing chipotle in adobo is, take one can, pour the entire contents into a ziploc bag, and freeze it. Now you have a frozen chunk of spicy, smoky deliciousness that you can grate into ANYTHING and make EVERYTHING more delicious and amazingly amazing.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Kenning posted:

Honestly, I could probably make an entire chili using only Red Fresnos and Serranos if I had enough chili powder/chipotles in adobo to dope it with. I'm pretty sure that dried chilis have the most chili-friendly flavor, so I'd always lean toward adding more of those for heat. It just does wonders for the complexity.

Speaking of, I made a paste of anchos, guajillos, New Mexicos, and arbols for the last chili I made by just soaking them in hot water and then food processing them with a bit of the soaking water. Any ideas on good applications for the leftovers?

You're talking about those random bagged chilis you can find at stores? Is there any special way to prepare them for use in a chili??

I finally picked up a can of chiptole adobos based on seeing it on every page here. I'm excited enough that I might make chili again even though I am just finishing my batch ahah

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

Aramoro posted:

It also gets under your nails if you are a nail biter. And last but not least, it will make the most sensitive parts of your body burn with the fury of a thousand suns. Like your genitals. What I'm saying is don't piss after chopping peppers.

Edit: oh hey this was on the last page. Whoops.

Uhhlive fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 19, 2013

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Kenning posted:

Mix it with some honey and rub it under the skin of some chicken thighs and grill them. The flavor is pretty mild and the chicken-ness still comes through. There is a wing place in baltimore that does these spicy, sticky wings and everyone once and a while I try to recreate them.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

That sounds really good, thanks.

THE MACHO MAN posted:

You're talking about those random bagged chilis you can find at stores? Is there any special way to prepare them for use in a chili??

I finally picked up a can of chiptole adobos based on seeing it on every page here. I'm excited enough that I might make chili again even though I am just finishing my batch ahah

Oh man you've gotta get on that dried chili game. There's crazy flavor to be had for cheap. You can start by making your own chili powder.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Kenning posted:

That sounds really good, thanks.

Oh man you've gotta get on that dried chili game. There's crazy flavor to be had for cheap. You can start by making your own chili powder.

Ah, I thought you meant use them as you would for fresh.

But thanks for reminding me, I had always wanted to try that but was too lazy and didn't have a blender. Now I've got a use for my Christmas present!

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Industrial revolution has flipped the bitch on evolution.

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Ah, I thought you meant use them as you would for fresh.

But thanks for reminding me, I had always wanted to try that but was too lazy and didn't have a blender. Now I've got a use for my Christmas present!

I use a little mini-food processor for making chili powder and nothing else. Even after washing the plastic, the chilies can leave a flavor that you might not want in a smoothie, for example.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Walk Away posted:

I use a little mini-food processor for making chili powder and nothing else. Even after washing the plastic, the chilies can leave a flavor that you might not want in a smoothie, for example.

Nonsense, chili smoothies are the best smoothies around.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Kenning posted:

yeah, try making harissa. I made harissa for the first time a couple weeks ago, and was really surprised at all the recipes I found - they all pretty much started with 'take some normal chilies, whatever really, and soak them in hot water then blend them'. so I made some harissa and it was pretty tasty.

The Midniter posted:

After you try these and see how amazing chipotle in adobo is, take one can, pour the entire contents into a ziploc bag, and freeze it. Now you have a frozen chunk of spicy, smoky deliciousness that you can grate into ANYTHING and make EVERYTHING more delicious and amazingly amazing.

this is good advice. I had half a can left and froze it because I didn't know wtf to do, not even thinking about the FutureGrating opportunities. After trying to figure out how to defrost my AdoboBlock for like 5 minutes, I finally just took it to a box grater and it worked really really really well. I'm almost tempted to just freeze my cans of chipolte in adobo before I ever even crack them open now.

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004

cornface posted:

Wear gloves because soap has basically no effect on the horrors that await you if you chop them barehanded.

pour some canola oil on your hands and rub it around really good then use a good hand dish soap to get the oil off. This has always worked really well for me after handling really hot chilis barehanded

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

AlexJade posted:

pour some canola oil on your hands and rub it around really good then use a good hand dish soap to get the oil off. This has always worked really well for me after handling really hot chilis barehanded

I actually tried that, and while the oil felt pretty good while I was slathered in it, as soon as I washed it off the burning came back.

It's possible that I'm a huge baby, though. Live and learn.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

No, trust me. That night when I chopped a pile of chili peppers with my cracked, dry hands, I learned that all the folk tricks are just loving bullshit. I washed my hands with every non-toxic fluid in my house and nothing worked. Wear the gloves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

I've never had an issue with my hands burning, but I once rubbed my eye like 30 minutes after cooking and I apparently didn't wash good and aw gently caress that sucked.

I will definitely take note about chili slushies, hahaha.