Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Damo posted:

I posted a a bunch of pictures of Dexter in the Post Your Pet thread but I thought I'd repost in this thread, as I just noticed it and Dexter is indeed a Mutt. I was hoping some of you with a keen eye could help a bit with narrowing down his muttiness a bit. I'm definitely going to purchase one of those Wisdom DNA set things though soon, for sure. They've actually got a valentines day discount going right now, if anyone else is interested :h:.

If for some reason you actually want to read some details about him, check out my post your pets thread post on the last page, as I wrote up a few paragraphs there about how awesome he is :3:.

The Beagle is pretty obvious. He reminds me a bit of a Chihuahua cross too. Or a cross of a Chi-cross, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Yeah I was thinking there's chihuahua in there somewhere, too.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Ckwiesr posted:

So we got Micky's wisdom panel results back and they were... interesting to say the least. The shelter we got him from said he was a Dutch Shepherd / Lab mix which made sense, but then again he's only about 45lbs at 7 months which seems a little on the small side.

Basically all mutted up.

Dutch Shepherd isn't super likely. Nor are most of the breeds that are 'in the mix" - IMO as much as these things are improved from prior versions when you have a dog who is a mix of mixes, a lot of that is probably going to be 'noise.' He's totally got short haired brindle toller ears though, even though that's an unlikely actual scenario. :3:

But I could see chow mix x bully mix.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

I don't really get the wisdom panel thing, what's the point?

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Renzuko posted:

To laugh at the ridiculous things it spits out, pretty much.

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
Yeah I was considering getting a wisdom panel for Quaffle, but the more results I see, the more I think I'll just tell people he's a wolf hybrid while he tries to lick them and get them to scratch his chest. I had someone ask if he was a Vlcak already so I'm getting there.

"wolf hybrid" lol

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

cryingscarf posted:

To laugh at the ridiculous things it spits out, pretty much.

Hey it's not THAT bad, for the most part! It can only work with what it's given, and if what it's given is a 5th generation mutt then it's a losing proposition to begin with. :colbert:

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
What's not useful about that? Is it just unreliable?

SuperTwo
Oct 30, 2010

ForcedKen posted:

I've been lurking in this thread for several months, I figured I should post my pups.

This is Satine, my fiance's dog.
When we got her from the shelter we were told that her mother was a Malinois. I'm not sure how likely that is, but we just call her a purebred Florida browndog. She may have some ridgeback in her, as those are pretty common around here. She definitely has a sighthound body shape and running ability. For reference, she weighs around 40lbs and is nearly 5 feet tall on her hind legs.

This is, for some reason, the only standing full-body picture of her that I have on this computer. She wasn't fully-grown here.

Then, there's Franklin. He's one of those weird cases in which we were actually told by the rescue that he's a chiXpit mix, but I highly doubt it. I know pibbles can be small, but he's 8 lbs! He's clearly chihuahuaXsomething, or maybe just a really badly bred chi? Either way, I love his derpy face.

And the two of them together:

You wouldn't happen to be in the St. Pete area would you? We have a customer at the store I work at that says they have a Chi/Pit cross. I've never met the dog, don't think I've met the person either but all the employees discussed how a Pit/Chihuahua cross could have happened for a bit on one of our slow nights.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Renzuko posted:

Personally after the 500th person asked "Well what's he a mix of" when I told them my dog is a mix I found it very satisfying to tell them that "well this DNA test says he x, y and z" and have them all nod approvingly. Plus they can be entertaining as you look up all the weird breeds they say your dog is made up of and look for any hint of them in your muttly mutt. I really doubted my wisdom panel thing until I started digging around the records of the pound my dog came from and found two dogs that came in together regularly that were the exact breeds that the thing said my dog was.

Also they really aren't that bad unless your dog is super mutted up. They seem to work best when your dog is made up of 4 of less different breeds in it's recent ancestry. Even with the weird dogs in small percentages you can draw some conclusions. Like your dog might not realistically be a Toy Bull Terrier or Chesapeake Bay Retriever mix but it certainly could be a pitty or lab mix way back in its pedigree. I think its pretty impressive what they can do based on how similar a lot of breeds are and how recently a lot of them have been interbred.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Javid posted:

What's not useful about that? Is it just unreliable?

Is this in response to me?

The premise of the test is that there are breed "signatures" that are actually a bunch of genetic markers (DNA that doesn't code for anything in particular usually, and is just 'along for the ride') spread along the entire genome that have varying gene frequencies between breeds. The more mixed a dog is, the more possible combinations of mixed allele sets that they could have, which dilutes the "signatures" down to the point where they're no longer an accurate and statistically significant indicator of breed heritage.

Say a combination of homozygous genes that frequently occurs together in Labradors but not other breeds is A1/A1 B2/B2 C3/C3 D4/D4 E5/E5 F6/F6
And a combination of homozygous genes that frequently occurs in GSDs but not other breeds is A6/A6 B5/B5 C4/C4 D3/D3 E2/E2 F1/F1

The 'signature' for a Labrador would be A1 B2 C3 D4 E5 F6 - if a Labrador is passing one copy of each gene to its offspring, it is really likely to be those ones.
For a GSD would be A6 B5 C4 D3 E2 F1.

If a dog were tested and it was A1/A6 B2/B5 C3/C4 D4/D3 E5/E2 F6/F1, our grouping software can make a reasonable guess that the dog is half Labrador and half GSD after comparing different arrangements of haplotypes with all the others in the gene database.

Now say that dog bred with a husky, whose signature is A3 B4 C5 D6 E1 F2

The resulting puppies would have an entire husky signature, but the other half would be likely to be a mixture of the Lab signature and the GSD signature. If enough loci with enough unique alleles were tested, the algorithm might be able to subtract out the husky signature and come up with a mixed GSD/Lab signature with reasonable confidence,

If our original GSD/Lab bred with a husky/beagle mix, then it starts to get even harder to separate out the individual 'signatures' from the genome.

And so on.

Note this is a vast simplification and in some ways a mischaracterization of the actual process, but in my head it conveys what I wanted to convey clearly enough.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I was wondering just how trusted the test is, since my vet seems to think they're a waste of money. I posted Shadow's Wisdom Panel a while back that said he was GSD, Rottweiler, Lab, and random mutt. Since it could pick out three breeds pretty strongly I'm hoping/guessing that means he wasn't too mutted up and his results are at least pretty accurate (the GSD is pretty obvious at least).

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...
My vet also said not to waste the money on the thing. Sigh.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

If you want something to say your dog is other then a mutt do what my mom does, say your dog is a heinz 57.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
The DNA tests are pretty accurate when they have easy mixes to work with; for example, I know someone who has what looks like a purebred JRT, that turned out to have one purebred JRT parent and one JRT x Miniature Fox Terrier parent. Her other dog turned out to be purebred Silky Terrier x purebred Maltese, (looks like a blonde Maltese).

When it's a hugely mutted up dog it doesn't have much of a chance and I think just guesses based on probability. The dogs may have never had a purebred ancestor.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Dang. That's pretty much what I was hoping to use it for. I have no idea what this guy is:

He COULD be an easy mix, or he could be a bit of everything with a ferret for an uncle. Rescue dogs can be a mystery box. The best running guess is a large fraction of border collie.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
I am going to agree with you on the Border Collie. The owner of our local WoofGang Bakery has a similar mix and except for the face they can pass for being close family members.

He was younger and shaved down then but you can still sort of see it I guess?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Sushi looks like that if I get him buzzed down really short for the summer. Usually they leave his face mostly alone though, you don't mess with a beard of power like that for no reason. But if you let him go for too long, he turns into a yeti:

drill press corps
Sep 28, 2007

Only my friends can call me Pigfucker.
This is a video of my mutt playing with a bowling ball. Considering she never really sits still enough to take a decent picture, you can see her in motion. I genuinely have no real idea of what she's made of, other than happy, cute and shed. Husky and Lab have been tossed about, but really, who knows?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXcYJCPiais

Bartleby
Sep 23, 2004

Special needs since 2003

Javid posted:

.....you don't mess with a beard of power like that for no reason.

Oh god, I thought I was the only one who thought that way about my dog's beard. It's clearly where they store all the power and magic, and no-one else understands :colbert:

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
:unsmith:

Javid posted:

Dang. That's pretty much what I was hoping to use it for. I have no idea what this guy is:

He COULD be an easy mix, or he could be a bit of everything with a ferret for an uncle. Rescue dogs can be a mystery box. The best running guess is a large fraction of border collie.

I'm gonna say he could be part German wirehair pointer. Looks A LOT like one that boarded at the kennel I worked at.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

A Sleepy Budgie posted:

I'm gonna say he could be part German wirehair pointer. Looks A LOT like one that boarded at the kennel I worked at.

Good lord.

THAT is a dog beard. We may have a winner.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

brickswereshat posted:

This is a video of my mutt playing with a bowling ball. Considering she never really sits still enough to take a decent picture, you can see her in motion. I genuinely have no real idea of what she's made of, other than happy, cute and shed. Husky and Lab have been tossed about, but really, who knows?

How old how much does she weigh? She is probably those if she has massive shed, tail and face looks right, but I'm not sure if she is fully grown.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

brickswereshat posted:

I have no breed advice to offer but I was losing my cool over your dog's HOLY poo poo HOLY poo poo face while she's attacking the ball.

The happiest dog.

yrF
Jun 23, 2009

Renzuko posted:

If you want something to say your dog is other then a mutt do what my mom does, say your dog is a heinz 57.

My family had a dog years ago, a black labrador crossed with who knows what. But instead of telling people she was a mutt, we told people that she was a South American Marsh dog. It certainly made her seem more special, even though it was total bullshit.

ForceKin
Dec 22, 2009

SuperTwo posted:

You wouldn't happen to be in the St. Pete area would you? We have a customer at the store I work at that says they have a Chi/Pit cross. I've never met the dog, don't think I've met the person either but all the employees discussed how a Pit/Chihuahua cross could have happened for a bit on one of our slow nights.

Nah, I'm in Florida but on the far northern edge of the state.

Based on what I've seen on the internet, it does happen, with wildly mixed results. There's even a *gag* "designer dog" name for it: chipits. Why anyone would do that deliberately is beyond me, and I have no idea if that's what Franklin really is, nor do I particularly care, other than being mildly amused at sticking it to the man by having a (very tiny) pit mix in an apartment that doesn't allow them. Whatever he is, he's my perfect little goofball.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Leia turned 6mos old yesterday. :3

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!
My mutt hates the blizzard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Weu1ddDHn-k

Tiny Faye fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 9, 2013

cats
May 11, 2009
I finally got some photos of our old dog Bosya from my mom and figured I'd post him here. My parents found him sleeping in front of our apartment building in Russia in January of 1994; he came to the US with us in 1999 and stayed with us until cancer got him in... 2007 I think. Although he wasn't neutered and wasn't trained at all he was an amazing dog. He always wanted to have all of us in the same room and really hated cats. One time he ran away from home and ended up at my grandmother's apartment, where he'd only been by car a few times. Supposedly he was a purebred Kerry Blue Terrier but I thought I'd float him to PI to see what you guys think, since I feel like that's a pretty rare breed to be wandering the streets in Russia.

(for scale, and for cute)

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Cute dog. Looks like a smaller, browner Black Russian Terrier.

Splat
Aug 22, 2002
Finally got Penelope's results in and they're not really what I expected. Most people figured she was mostly a terrier mix but well:

She's been groomed since the pics and the light hair around her head grows back crazy fast.

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
:unsmith:
Wow, those results actually seem like they could be true. Except for the dandie dinmont.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Yeah I can definitely see poodle crossed with a malt/terrier BYB thing. Penelope has the same build as a lot of toy poodle/mixes I've seen and maltese mixes and poodle mixes tend to have crazy hair like that.

cats
May 11, 2009

various cheeses posted:

Cute dog. Looks like a smaller, browner Black Russian Terrier.

yeah he was definitely a lot smaller (I met a Black Russian Terrier once and he was a kickass dog, very large and "solid"), and really quite grey. Obviously we didn't keep him properly groomed, just clipped everything ourselves every summer.

bimmian
Oct 16, 2008
Ideas on what these guys might be? mama is a wire haired terrier, but they have no idea on the father. Some look like they have some retriever in them, husky(?) in others.

Rhadamanthus
Dec 12, 2004

I roll a lotta sushi, roll 'em fat like John Belushi; call me Desi Arnaz, dogg, I love the Lucy.

:swoon: Oh Solomon, you so dreamy. :swoon: (half rough collie half standard poodle)

Rhadamanthus fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Feb 14, 2013

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
I've gotta say, even though the idea of doodles quite annoys me, (why would you ruin a perfectly good poodle??), they are really cute.

bimmian how big is the mum dog? And is she clipped in that picture or naturally short-haired on her body? The puppies do have pretty huskyish markings but the mum looks more like a standard schnauzer mix or something.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

So this is Hailey, my mom's new puppy. We adopted her last August from the Humane Society where she was listed as a Shepherd and we have since taken to calling her a shepherd-ey thing

Here is her with us in one of the adoption rooms:

She's trying to snack on my little brother, who very much deserves the biting:

here she is napping outside last September, curled up in a little ball of adorable:

And this is her sleeping last night:

She's got a bit of derphound in her:

Instagram shot of her hiding in foliage:

Here she is taking a nap on my bed and taking up ALL THE SPACE!

She may be so much of a mutt that there is some cat in there too:

Or hellbeast:

meriruka
Apr 13, 2007

Here's my 2 rescued guys. Skeeter i found in a parking lot as a puppy. I pretty sure he is some sort of Border Collie.
Jake i took in after his owners moved away and left him. i think he is some sort of pug mixed with who knows.
Any ideas? He has fur like pig hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Border collie/spaniel and pug/cairn terrier maybe?