Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

The Entire Universe posted:

:cripes: I know you're probably too young to get the reference, but if you just Google where Woody Harrelson and Basketball coincide, you find that X marks the spot at the movie White Men Can't Jump.

I'm 37 and I remember that movie but the post you replied to said "GOP all-stars" so I was really confused and thought you were saying that Woody Harrelson was a GOP all-star. Sorry for taking everything so literally. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Crasscrab posted:

Goofballs over at Fox News get their undies in a bunch over a new wrestler that is a Tea Party stereotype.

WWE mocks the Tea Party

Infowars.com is taking this whole thing even more seriously.

WWE Creates Racist Wrestler to Demonize Tea Party

:allears: It's cute, really.

Makes you wonder where these guys were when WWE and other major wrestling organizations debuted other offensive characters.

Its even better when you remember in 2005 they had a guy whose gimmick was that he was an American of Muslim heritage who felt alienated in his own country because he practiced a different religion.

He was a bad guy.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Kiwi Bigtree posted:

Its even better when you remember in 2005 they had a guy whose gimmick was that he was an American of Muslim heritage who felt alienated in his own country because he practiced a different religion.

He was a bad guy.

Was that the guy whose finishing move was literally called the Magic Carpet Ride or was that another guy?

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
Not to mention La Resistance, created after France spoke out against the Iraq War, which also was the subject of an infamous debate between "Harvard" Chris Nowinski and Scott Steiner wherein the latter said "Throughout my career wrestled a lot of countries". Not to mention the various other "foreign bad guys" in the WWE's history.

If the man behind those approved something like this, then you know that the Tea Party's in trouble.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Have you guys forgotten the Iron Sheik?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsUyMMyL_z4

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Ho Chi Mint posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsUyMMyL_z4

Of course not but he and the other foreign racist caricatures of the time were somewhat different due to historical context. Nikolai Volkof is a much better example from that era because the Cold War was still going on and he was Russian. It was only after the first American invasion of Iraq in '91 that the Iron Sheik became way more relevant again.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Spark That Bled posted:

If the man behind those approved something like this, then you know that the Tea Party's in trouble.

Actually, the whole reason behind the Tea Party guy is the fact their current World Heavyweight Champ is a Mexican wrestler who is hugely over with the Latino audience. The only reason the Mexican guy is even a good guy in the first place was because he got so popular. For years he was a villain for no reason more complicated than "Mexican."

Literally six months ago he was facing a white guy named "The Great White" who made fun of his Mexican accent and cut a long promo about how he ate Mexican food and it made him poop everywhere because Mexican food is terrible. This guy was the good guy in the battle.

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Feb 20, 2013

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The Rock is Mexican?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

greatn posted:

The Rock is Mexican?

The WWE has two World Champions

WWE World Champion: The Rock
World Heavyweight Champion: Alberto Del Rio

Its confusing.

towelieban
Feb 19, 2013
Sad thing is, Iron Sheik is actually Iranian, not Arab. But he chooses to fulfill that stereotype as it seems to be making him $$ and supporting his still persistent cocaine habit.

What's lovely for us Iranians is that he further stamps in that ignorance for many people to keep thinking Iranians are Arabs because though he dresses like an Arab, he always screams he's Iranian.

Acrophyte
Sep 5, 2012

Respect me like Pesci
and if rap was hockey
I be Gretzky

towelieban posted:

Sad thing is, Iron Sheik is actually Iranian, not Arab. But he chooses to fulfill that stereotype as it seems to be making him $$ and supporting his still persistent cocaine habit.

What's lovely for us Iranians is that he further stamps in that ignorance for many people to keep thinking Iranians are Arabs because though he dresses like an Arab, he always screams he's Iranian.

When the presidential campaign turned on the subject of Iran, I was floored by the amount of people who had no idea that Iranians a.) aren't Arab and b.) don't speak Arabic. Literally Iran 101. I honestly wonder how many high ranking Republicans don't know that either.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Acrophyte posted:

When the presidential campaign turned on the subject of Iran, I was floored by the amount of people who had no idea that Iranians a.) aren't Arab and b.) don't speak Arabic. Literally Iran 101. I honestly wonder how many high ranking Republicans don't know that either.

"They have a different skin color, speak a different language, and have a different religion than us" is all they think they need to know.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Kiwi Bigtree posted:

Actually, the whole reason behind the Tea Party guy is the fact their current World Heavyweight Champ is a Mexican wrestler who is hugely over with the Latino audience. The only reason the Mexican guy is even a good guy in the first place was because he got so popular. For years he was a villain for no reason more complicated than "Mexican."

To be fair, Del Rio is a Mexican aristocrat who drives different ultra expensive cars to the ring every time and had a pseudo Million Dollar Man thing going on. Which sadly is a change for the treatment of Latinos in wrestling which is normally defaulted to cholo gangster who wears flannels and says Ese a lot.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Acrophyte posted:

It's Bill Maher... but yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTSCRoYyM-Y

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

That's from the same movie where he just got up and walked away from the anti-zionist rabbi because he disagreed with him, right?

towelieban
Feb 19, 2013
The Daily Show did this special around the time of the 09 iranian elections asking Americans about Iran, and vice versa. Surprising at the amount, or lack there of, about even basic information on Iran. The guy at the end who actually go it was Iranian-American.
http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tue-june-23-2009/jason-jones--behind-the-veil---ayatollah-you-so

Acrophyte
Sep 5, 2012

Respect me like Pesci
and if rap was hockey
I be Gretzky

towelieban posted:

The Daily Show did this special around the time of the 09 iranian elections asking Americans about Iran, and vice versa. Surprising at the amount, or lack there of, about even basic information on Iran. The guy at the end who actually go it was Iranian-American.
http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tue-june-23-2009/jason-jones--behind-the-veil---ayatollah-you-so

Oh my god, I've been trying to find this sketch for a few months now, thank you.

quote:

"How the gently caress have you heard of Utica?"

:lol:

When I was in high school, our civics teacher overheard some of my classmates making fun of the foreign students we had. The next day he came in with questions from the US citizenship exam, and I'll never forget hearing murmurs of "gently caress!" and "who"? when he asked us who the speaker of the house was, etc. As you can expect, most of those same student's scores were abysmal. :laugh:

I would love to go down to AL or MS and see how "proud Americans" score on it.

towelieban
Feb 19, 2013
That and when that guy went from answering who was the current president to naming all of them in reverse order up to Kennedy LOL. I doubt even 1% of americans could do that.

BlackJoo
Sep 26, 2011

That's not a dagger, it's called a syringe!

Crasscrab posted:

Goofballs over at Fox News get their undies in a bunch over a new wrestler that is a Tea Party stereotype.

WWE mocks the Tea Party

Infowars.com is taking this whole thing even more seriously.

WWE Creates Racist Wrestler to Demonize Tea Party

:allears: It's cute, really.

Makes you wonder where these guys were when WWE and other major wrestling organizations debuted other offensive characters.

I don't understand, are they upset because a white racist is being portrayed as a villain? Or because they think this character is an unfair depiction of the tea party? I watched a few videos of "Jack Swagger" the racist wrestler and his coach "Zeb Coulter", and if anything, the poo poo they were saying was more tame than what you hear on fox news and talk radio every day.

These are the people who refused to admit Obama was born in the US, and embraced Romney's 47% comments. But a faux racist wrestler implying that his mexican opponent is not a "real american" who came here leech off the government, is somehow offensive and out of bounds?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

BlackJoo posted:

I don't understand, are they upset because a white racist is being portrayed as a villain? Or because they think this character is an unfair depiction of the tea party? I watched a few videos of "Jack Swagger" the racist wrestler and his coach "Zeb Coulter", and if anything, the poo poo they were saying was more tame than what you hear on fox news and talk radio every day.

These are the people who refused to admit Obama was born in the US, and embraced Romney's 47% comments. But a faux racist wrestler implying that his mexican opponent is not a "real american" who came here leech off the government, is somehow offensive and out of bounds?

Society has successfully impressed on people that being racist is bad, ergo being called racist is bad. But society has also impressed on people that you have to use racial slurs to be racist. So in these people's minds, they're being called the worst thing ever for no reason at all because b-b-but I didn't call him the no-no word, I can't possibly be racist.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Minorities posted:

Was that the guy whose finishing move was literally called the Magic Carpet Ride or was that another guy?

I believe you're thinking of The Great Khali, a loving gargantuan Indian wrestler.

e: nope, I'm wrong.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
It was probably his lacky Davari that had magic carpet ride.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

BlackJoo posted:

I don't understand, are they upset because a white racist is being portrayed as a villain? Or because they think this character is an unfair depiction of the tea party?

Yes to both. Jack Swagger's gimmick hits the nail pretty much on the head and exposes the Tea Party for what it really is (at least as much as you can do so in a popular TV-13 rated show). This of course drives actual Tea Partiers insane because the dogwhistle has now been turned into a regular whistle that they can't silence.

The American Dream posted:

It was probably his lacky Davari that had magic carpet ride.

Thank you! I could not remember his name for the life of me.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 20, 2013

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Minorities posted:

Yes to both. Jack Swagger's gimmick hits the nail pretty much on the head and exposes the Tea Party for what it really is (at least as much as you can do so in a popular TV-13 rated show). This of course drives actual Tea Partiers insane because the dogwhistle has now been turned into a regular whistle that they can't silence.
I saw Zeb Coulter's rant on the last PPV, and if you slotted those exact words into any given conservative talk radio show no one would even bat an eye. If anything there'd be callers saying he's being too soft.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Goatman Sacks posted:

I believe you're thinking of The Great Khali, a loving gargantuan Indian wrestler.

e: nope, I'm wrong.

He is thinking of Davari who I believe is Iranian( from New Jersey) he was the mouthpiece and partner of the other wrestler you're thinking of Muhammad Hassan. The funny think was their gimmick was actually pretty well written before wwe went super cartoony and actually made them terrorists. But the day they came out as a terrorist gimmick and attacked undertaker with a group of guys wearing camo and ski masks the London bombing happened literally the same day that aired.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Guilty Spork posted:

I saw Zeb Coulter's rant on the last PPV, and if you slotted those exact words into any given conservative talk radio show no one would even bat an eye. If anything there'd be callers saying he's being too soft.

The point I was trying to make is that conservative talk radio is insular. There are some liberal and progressive watchdog groups that try to expose the horrible poo poo they say to the mainstream but it doesn't catch on much.

The WWE certainly has its share of conservative and even racist fans, but the WWE is not under the umbrella of conservative talk radio control and caters to a different audience that's more mainstream. Tea Partiers get incredibly upset whenever their horse poo poo gets exposed to an audience can't dupe/trick/manipulate easily. Look at the mass exodus away from facebook to TPC as another example.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Minorities posted:

What the Tea Party thinks of themselves - Lex Luger: The Man Made in the U.S.A. :911:
What even Vince McMahon realizes - Jack Swagger :freep:

Probably just trying to attract smart people back, just to see what the fuss is all about.

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

Minorities posted:

"They have a different skin color, speak a different language, and have a different religion than us" is all they think they need to know.

There's a massive amount of confusion given the amount of Arabic cultural rules and customs that got sucked into Islam (understandable given the religion and the region's history) which has made it a convoluted mess for most people. It's also worth keeping in mind that while ethnic Iranians are Persians, there are a lot of Arabs in Iran as well.

Though it's kinda funny how Muslims went from being part of "the good guys" when we were fighting the "godless commies" to the worst people since... the godless commies once the USSR imploded.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH

Ho Chi Mint posted:

Iran hate was pretty open in 80s America

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

az jan jananam posted:

Man I can't think why. Maybe something to do with that hostage crisis.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Mister Macys posted:

What the Tea Party thinks of themselves - Lex Luger: The Man Made in the U.S.A. :911:
What even Vince McMahon realizes - Jack Swagger :freep:

Probably just trying to attract smart people back, just to see what the fuss is all about.

Pro wrestling in general has always been topical. Sometimes certain topical gimmicks get over better than others.

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

Lord Lambeth posted:

Man I can't think why. Maybe something to do with that hostage crisis.

I'm pretty sure the feeling was mutual around then. That entire affair was a pretty sorry part of history.

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011
You guys remember when one of the big criticisms of Chuck Hagel was that he got paid to speak to "Friends of Hamas," a group that is totally real and not made up? Well the guy that started that rumor has spoken up, and it is about as silly as you would expect.

This is seriously all it takes to get a right-wing talking point going.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

az jan jananam posted:

We have to keep Iran from producing a nuclear whoopie cushion or Gotham City is doomed.

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

Roxors posted:

You guys remember when one of the big criticisms of Chuck Hagel was that he got paid to speak to "Friends of Hamas," a group that is totally real and not made up? Well the guy that started that rumor has spoken up, and it is about as silly as you would expect.

This is seriously all it takes to get a right-wing talking point going.

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2013/02/mcconnell-duffel-blog/

This is another gem of late.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Crasscrab posted:

"The WWE is playing the race card"

That's it. This is the moment where I've finally realized there is nothing the right wing media won't say.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Unzip and Attack posted:

"The WWE is playing the race card"

That's it. This is the moment where I've finally realized there is nothing the right wing media won't say.

Things that were not the race card

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

The_Rob posted:

He is thinking of Davari who I believe is Iranian( from New Jersey) he was the mouthpiece and partner of the other wrestler you're thinking of Muhammad Hassan. The funny think was their gimmick was actually pretty well written before wwe went super cartoony and actually made them terrorists. But the day they came out as a terrorist gimmick and attacked undertaker with a group of guys wearing camo and ski masks the London bombing happened literally the same day that aired.

Hassan is also Italian. I worked with a guy that graduated with him. The timeline of the wrestling martyrdom/london bombings are:

Tuesday: Davari get carried out of the ring by 6 masked insurgents after being sacrificed to the undertaker during the taping of smack down

Wednesday: London bombings occur

Thursday: wwe airs the segment anyways. poo poo rains down so at the ppv in a couple weeks undertaker buries Hassan in their match and his wrestling career is dead

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

To be fair, Del Rio is a Mexican aristocrat who drives different ultra expensive cars to the ring every time and had a pseudo Million Dollar Man thing going on. Which sadly is a change for the treatment of Latinos in wrestling which is normally defaulted to cholo gangster who wears flannels and says Ese a lot.

I thought the WWE had heartily embraced luchadores and the normal treatment for Latinos was to make them wear a really awesome mask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Nah, only 2 guys wear masks. Sin Cara and Rey Mysterio.