Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Can anyone tell me about walking the full Appalachian trail if you live abroad or point me to a thread that covers it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Scott Bakula posted:

Can anyone tell me about walking the full Appalachian trail if you live abroad or point me to a thread that covers it?

Make sure to break up with your Argentinian girlfriend first.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

Ror posted:

I totally get all of the actual safety legal stuff though. Me and my buddies bought some bar neodymium magnets off eBay in middle school and man did we almost destroy many various fingers and objects. If you kept them in an outside pouch of your backpack it would randomly grab onto lockers.

When I was doing FIRST Robotics in high school we had to build a pole climbing minibot. I accomplished this with magnets. 6 of them. Each 1 cubic inch and each with a 94lb pull force. My hands were destroyed making the minibot and I didn't let anyone else touch it because it was loving dangerous. Magnets are not your friend, they will end you.

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't
Does anyone know why the power here (NW Chicago Suburbs) seems to go out once a day for about three seconds?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Extensive Vamping posted:

Does anyone know why the power here (NW Chicago Suburbs) seems to go out once a day for about three seconds?

You should probably report that to your power company, they may not be aware of it happening.

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan
Is it true that most people in airline first class probably aren't paying full fare? (They have some sort of corporate or club special discount, preferred customer etc)

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Elphiem posted:

Is it true that most people in airline first class probably aren't paying full fare? (They have some sort of corporate or club special discount, preferred customer etc)

This largely depends on the flight. Commuter planes are domestic M/F travel, very likely. International to Singapore, mostly $$. Airlines to run coupons and cut fares for 1rst from time to time.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Scott Bakula posted:

I would say this about covers it

KittyLitter
Feb 3, 2003

when worlds collide posted:

There was a regular box office movie in the 80s about time travel, one of those gimmicky fantasy type movies, just a fun film. I barely remember anything about it except for one scene, where this old timey guy had come to the future with some other guy, and referred to the Mc Donald's restaurant as 'McDougal's'. It had nothing to do with Bill and Ted nor any adventures, excellent or otherwise. Does anyone out there know of this movie? Knowing its title would pretty much make my day. So I will say 'thank you' in advance although I will not be surprised if nobody knows what the frig I'm talking about.

Coming Back to the Future of America

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Scott Bakula posted:

If you have archives: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3014375

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

helopticor posted:

There's a list of 80s time travel movies here and another list with a good number of time travel movies here. If you'd remember a picture or the title, it shouldn't be that hard to find (assuming it was definitely a movie and not a TV episode or something). Also, I could have sworn there was a thread for names of movies you can't remember, but the closest thing in Cinema Discusso is their general question thread, but you might be able to post one in PYF.

Oh hey, thank you. I never wander into CineD for some reason. I did do a brief scan but their version of this thread seemed to be slightly different in the way they do things. I found a likely suspect from one of those links you posted though. I think it was Time after Time.

franco posted:

There is - here :)

Yay! Thank you.

Powered Descent posted:

Do you recall if the movie involved midgets? Because after reading that, my brain is faintly suggesting Time Bandits. But I haven't seen the movie in I don't even know how many years, so I could easily be wrong.

It was midget-less. Or else my memory is worse than I thought.

CzarChasm posted:

As was pointed out a little earlier in the thread, you can try the "Identify a Movie for Me" thread in CD. The name McDougal makes me think of Coming to America. Not really time travel, but definitely a fish out of water story.

Along the same lines and era, but that wasn't it. I definitely remember the fellow's old timey clothes. I believe he had a monocle, even. It is kind of funny to me because that movie reminds me a lot of Steampunk-y people. I think the film might appeal to those sorts of folks.

Trastion posted:

I thought the same thing in regards to Coming to America. Maybe he is confusing parts from that with parts from Back to the Future (Old man and kid time travel).

She, and I thought of that, but I'm pretty firm that that was not it. I distinctly remember old timey dude had a modern dude as a minder, who was helping him with his objective in the future time, and it was time sensitive which seems to suit Time after Time very well. BttF is seared into my memory too, there's not much ambiguity about it's plot, even after all these years. A classic, and all. :)

KittyLitter posted:

Coming Back to the Future of America

I don't think so, but I'd like to see this movie.

Thanks everyone. I am leaning towards it being 'Time after Time' which seems to make the most sense. I will have to watch it again and see. At least with an earworm, you know what your dealing with, these mindworms are a lot more frustrating. I also apologize for my lack of Google-fu, I honestly did try but it wasn't very helpful. I blame my brain not knowing a good string to search for. Next time I will go to that CineD thread instead of boggling this one to bits.

Memories of watching it on good old VHS, early 80s, I can remember the videotape box and it was back in the day where you rented because one single tape cost a prohibitive amount of money. Even the membership to rent cost fifty bucks. Nostalgia :sun:

beeaar
Dec 16, 2005
can somebody tell me what this facepalm pic is from?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

beeaar posted:

Johnny Mnemonic is on like page 6 of GIS results, I don't remember the movie at all but it seems plausible.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
I think he's putting on his futuristic internet visor and by saving the frame at the right moment it looks like a facepalm.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Scott Bakula posted:

There's also a hiking/backpacking thread in YLLS if you have specific questions.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

when worlds collide posted:

Thanks everyone. I am leaning towards it being 'Time after Time' which seems to make the most sense. I will have to watch it again and see.

Time After Time was the first movie I thought of, but I don't remember a scene like that and it wasn't really a light-hearted movie, as far as I remember... :[

beeaar
Dec 16, 2005

kensei posted:

Johnny Mnemonic is on like page 6 of GIS results, I don't remember the movie at all but it seems plausible.

helopticor posted:

I think he's putting on his futuristic internet visor and by saving the frame at the right moment it looks like a facepalm.
thank you

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

tarepanda posted:

Time After Time was the first movie I thought of, but I don't remember a scene like that and it wasn't really a light-hearted movie, as far as I remember... :[

I just found this trailer for it, and I'm like 99% certain that this is the proper movie. They even show a McDonald's sign in the trailer! That made me laugh.

I was wrong about the monocle, but that's understandable. He does have spectacles, at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD39rK1uSww

I will shush about this now (sorry mods!). If turns out that it's not this movie, I'll ask the Discusso thread. Thanks everyone! :)

*stealth edit- errr I don't know how to make it not embed the video, sorry.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

beeaar posted:

Johnny Mnemonic, truly Keanu Reeve's finest film. In the dystopian future, you're a corporate drone with a ticking time-bomb in your head. So you join up with a 'roided-out hooker and a military-grade dolphin-hacker to fight an insane cyborg-priest-assassin.

Also contains KR shouting, "I want to get online! I need a computer!" at said hooker. (Your photo is of his computer. He gets his computer.)

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXSqN7qXwpU

Gravity Pike fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Feb 20, 2013

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Elphiem posted:

When I was working for a major airline almost every time practically all the first class seats were free. Seeing only 1 or 2 passengers for the 40 slots available was pretty normal. Economy class on the other hand was almost always overbooked. What the personnel was supposed to do was give people with the most club points in economy class a boost to first class if necessary.

First class is just so loving expensive I think in practice you only see people flying there who are either rich (not a large part of the population) or people actually flying on business who could convince their bosses to pay more money (as they loving should, economy class sucks).

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

beeaar posted:

God drat, those early version of the Bane mask were just awful.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

A lot of beach sperm whale carcasses have the penis sticking out. Is this a consequence of the stress the animal suffered, or was it the post-mortem decomposition of the muscles?

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Do those sleep tracking alarm phone apps that are supposed to wake you up at a light point in your sleep cycle work? If so,what's the best one for an Android phone?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Gravity Pike posted:

Johnny Mnemonic, truly Keanu Reeve's finest film. In the dystopian future, you're a corporate drone with a ticking time-bomb in your head. So you join up with a 'roided-out hooker and a military-grade dolphin-hacker to fight an insane cyborg-priest-assassin.

Also contains KR shouting, "I want to get online! I need a computer!" at said hooker. (Your photo is of his computer. He gets his computer.)

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXSqN7qXwpU

Ironically, some of the worst things our culture creates can have some of the best ideas, like the XFL giving us the skycam. There's probably good UI notions hidden in that movie. Maybe.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Baron Bifford posted:

A lot of beach sperm whale carcasses have the penis sticking out. Is this a consequence of the stress the animal suffered, or was it the post-mortem decomposition of the muscles?

Didn't you already ask this question a while back? What is your obsession with the giant penis?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Baron Bifford posted:

What is wrong with you?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Can Superman get drunk?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
How are there so many sites that are just endless lists of phone numbers? Do they actually make money?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

stubblyhead posted:

What is wrong with you?
You've never taken a biology class, have you?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Tiggum posted:

Can Superman get drunk?
He did in the third movie, with depressing results.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

fivre posted:

How are there so many sites that are just endless lists of phone numbers? Do they actually make money?

Well it costs nearly nothing to host and serve (since they're just static lists of 10 digit numbers), and they tend to have a whole bunch of ads slapped up around them. So it's easy to see how they could be making money at it, especially if they manage to get some people using their site regularly to find numbers.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Baron Bifford posted:

Probably a case of gasses building up in the body causing the penis to become semi-erect from increased pressure.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
In the days of dial-up modems, there were these apps that sped up your websurfing by following the links on the page you're viewing and downloading their contents while you are reading the current page. What was the term for those apps?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Baron Bifford posted:

In the days of dial-up modems, there were these apps that sped up your websurfing by following the links on the page you're viewing and downloading their contents while you are reading the current page. What was the term for those apps?
Prefetching or precaching.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Baron Bifford posted:

As said before, precaching. Using the same terminology there were also ISPs that would keep a local copy of popular websites and serve directly to the client rather than requesting for the actual host.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
On shows like the Bachelor are the contestants allowed to bang each other behind the scenes to add to the whole chemistry angle thing or is there strict contract protocol that they can't?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Huntersoninski posted:

Do those sleep tracking alarm phone apps that are supposed to wake you up at a light point in your sleep cycle work? If so,what's the best one for an Android phone?
I've been using SleepCycle for ios for years and it's awesome. If they make an Android version that'd be a good one to try. I hear they don't work well with memory foam mattresses though, FYI. I've used it with both a regular spring mattress and a latex and it works well. Takes a week or so of use before it calibrates well.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Huntersoninski posted:

Sleep As An Droid.

Not sure if it really works; I still hate getting up. Does have pretty graphs though, and is a pretty good alarm clock app otherwise.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Thanks, both of you! I was worried the question was lost in whale dick chat. I'll check out sleep as android. My clock is no longer cutting it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Baron Bifford posted:

He did in the third movie, with depressing results.

Does Superman feel destructible when he gets drunk?