Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

SamuraiFoochs posted:

How in the ever loving name of all in this world would you verify that, exactly?

Obviously you look at the bedpost, sheesh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

SamuraiFoochs posted:

How in the ever loving name of all in this world would you verify that, exactly?

Like a tree, you just count the rings.

Devil Child
Nov 30, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

SamuraiFoochs posted:

People are pretty sure of similar figures given by Gene Simmons, Wilt Chamberlain, Jack Nicholson, Julio Iglesias, Lemmy, Castro, and Warren Beatty.

Flair's not exactly one of the more unbelievable names to boast this count, in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it was higher, and have an easier time believing his numbers than anyone who's given a similar figure aside from the Stilt and Castro. He's rich, travels all the time, spends lavishly, athletic, charismatic, and already known to be heroically unfaithful. He's not particularly handsome, but neither are half the guys on that list. Women aren't known for being wrestling fans, but neither are they known for being metal fans.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Devil Child posted:

People are pretty sure of similar figures given by Gene Simmons, Wilt Chamberlain, Jack Nicholson, Julio Iglesias, Lemmy, Castro, and Warren Beatty.

Flair's not exactly one of the more unbelievable names to boast this count, in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it was higher, and have an easier time believing his numbers than anyone who's given a similar figure aside from the Stilt and Castro. He's rich, travels all the time, spends lavishly, athletic, charismatic, and already known to be heroically unfaithful. He's not particularly handsome, but neither are half the guys on that list. Women aren't known for being wrestling fans, but neither are they known for being metal fans.

I have no doubts that all of those guys (and Flair, to keep it on topic) racked up large amounts of groupie-related bedpost notches over the years. Fame is a hell of an aphrodisiac, after all. Even Jim Cornette said that back in the wrestling heyday of the 1980s, he was getting laid left and right simply because he was on the TV. And he'd be the first to tell you he wasn't the type of guy women would normally throw themselves at.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit
Who is the "guy" who HBK refers to who supposedly challenged himself and Jannety and got them fired in their first WWF run?

Devil Child
Nov 30, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

MisterGBH posted:

Who is the "guy" who HBK refers to who supposedly challenged himself and Jannety and got them fired in their first WWF run?

I think it was Jimmy Jack Funk, I'm pretty sure it was brought up in his documentary which is now on Netflix Instant Watch.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

SamuraiFoochs posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruef7aYCEbc

warbrides
May 11, 2009

Does Rock have an endorsement deal with Under Armour?

Are those t shirts/vests/whatevers being manufactured by WWE with an added Under Armour logo stuck on?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Devil Child posted:

Giving "primary credit" to Regal already acknowledges that there were other guys who helped DBD be great, while stressing that Regal was the central figure in DBD's career. It's not that HBK did absolutely nothing, although he didn't do much, it's that he's only credited along the same lines as Regal because he's a huge star, and it makes DBD sound cool without being too much of a truth-stretcher.
Yes, it's certainly more true than a lot of similar claims you hear in wrestling. In the small-time indy world, it's common for a wrestler to say they were trained by some WWE legend just because they attended a 1-night paid seminar.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

warbrides posted:

Does Rock have an endorsement deal with Under Armour?

Are those t shirts/vests/whatevers being manufactured by WWE with an added Under Armour logo stuck on?

I'm pretty sure he's tweeted before about Under Armour making gear for him

Quick edit: Fast find on google

https://twitter.com/TheRock/status/38864688787890176

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

In the WWE Discussion thread with regard to Swags, someone posted that Meltzer has claimed that most wrestling fans skew liberal (perhaps as compared to other sports). Anyone have a citation for this and how he arrived at this conclusion? Not doubting it per se, but I'd like to know if he's done any sort of survey/polling.

e:

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

According to Meltzer wrestling fans skew further left than fans of most legit sports

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

flashy_mcflash posted:

In the WWE Discussion thread with regard to Swags, someone posted that Meltzer has claimed that most wrestling fans skew liberal (perhaps as compared to other sports). Anyone have a citation for this and how he arrived at this conclusion? Not doubting it per se, but I'd like to know if he's done any sort of survey/polling.

e:

I have no idea how he reached that conclusion but having attended WWE shows in several states in my lifetime, there's not a lot of money in those crowds.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

flashy_mcflash posted:

It's because demographically wrestling viewership skews very low-income. It's one of the main reasons ad rates are low in wrestling.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I remember reading an article on micro-targeting for political campaigns in the leadup to last year's US election, and it contained several simple
graphs rating fans of specific sports and various consumer products in the categories of partisan lean and level of political involvement.

Pro wrestling fans were rated as leaning highly Democratic but also very politically uninterested. Golf vans, for example were rated the exact opposite.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

jeffersonlives posted:

It's because demographically wrestling viewership skews very low-income. It's one of the main reasons ad rates are low in wrestling.
But low-income skews Republican pretty much everywhere that isn't a metropolis.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

LividLiquid posted:

Granted, I'm in the UK, but here, low-income is almost invariably centre-to-left on financial stuff, more variable when it comes to social issues.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

They're vocal about being socially conservative but a large portion don't actually vote Conservative because they rely on government assistance to survive or they're union workers.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit

Oh ok. It's just at least two DVD/Bluray releases where it'ts mentiond but not stated. But they were worth nothing by that time? (opponentwise re: Iron Mike Sharpe)

xK1
Dec 1, 2003

Thauros posted:

I remember reading an article on micro-targeting for political campaigns in the leadup to last year's US election, and it contained several simple
graphs rating fans of specific sports and various consumer products in the categories of partisan lean and level of political involvement.

Pro wrestling fans were rated as leaning highly Democratic but also very politically uninterested. Golf vans, for example were rated the exact opposite.

Here's the graph for anyone interested.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

This is the best answer.

MisterGBH posted:

Oh ok. It's just at least two DVD/Bluray releases where it'ts mentiond but not stated. But they were worth nothing by that time? (opponentwise re: Iron Mike Sharpe)

This is the funniest wrongly-quoted post ever.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Thanks for posting that chart before more people posted patently untrue things. It would be nice if someone posted the full length article. "Voter Turnout Index" doesn't really mean anything without context, and it would be nice to know exactly what the sample size was for each sport out of the 218,313 surveyed. Also, it would be nice to know if people could report multiple sports.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
The most confusing thing to me is how the car sports are all over the place. :psyduck:

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

joshtothemaxx posted:

Thanks for posting that chart before more people posted patently untrue things. It would be nice if someone posted the full length article. "Voter Turnout Index" doesn't really mean anything without context, and it would be nice to know exactly what the sample size was for each sport out of the 218,313 surveyed. Also, it would be nice to know if people could report multiple sports.

http://theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2012/04/the-creepiness-factor-how-obama-and-romney-are-getting-to-know-you/255499/

That should work, had to delete the mobile subside from the URL since I'm on my iPhone.

Bocc Kob posted:

The most confusing thing to me is how the car sports are all over the place. :psyduck:

Don't claim to have any evidence for my assumptions, but if I had to take a guess....

NASCAR - they may be trying to distance themselves from the stereotype but the sport still has a southern "good 'ol boy" image.

Monster trucks - See pro wrestling, probably skews somewhat less Democratically due to having less minority fans.

Grand Am - fan base probably more interested in European cars like the F1 fan base and more likely to live in an urban area.

Motocross - Young rural white guys?

Thauros fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 20, 2013

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

xK1 posted:

Here's the graph for anyone interested.

LPGA watchers skewing Republican is pretty surprising.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

fatherdog posted:

LPGA watchers skewing Republican is pretty surprising.

It's still golf.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
This is seriously one of the craziest thing I have seen http://rudoreels.com/store/legacy-of-terry-funk-37-dvd-set.html

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Thanks!

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

bobkatt013 posted:

This is seriously one of the craziest thing I have seen http://rudoreels.com/store/legacy-of-terry-funk-37-dvd-set.html

Only 37? That must just be post-retirement Funk.

Devil Child
Nov 30, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
God drat, I wonder who's crazier. Vince McMahon or Terry Funk.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Devil Child posted:

Terry Funk is good crazy while Vince is stuff a chicks vagina with leaves crazy.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Devil Child posted:

Mick Foley, for trusting both of them with his life on more than one occasion.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Terry Funk is the eccentric old Kung Fu Master of professional wrestling. No-one's quite sure if everything he says is profound on a level that the average human can't understand, or he really has just taken one too many skull-bumps.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

VogeGandire posted:

Terry Funk is the eccentric old Kung Fu Master of professional wrestling. No-one's quite sure if everything he says is profound on a level that the average human can't understand, or he really has just taken one too many skull-bumps.

He is just like Piper. We know they are crazy but they have not harmed anyone in a serious way, and in the wrestling world they have their heads on straight. He also wants to make sure that fans stay out of jail.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

He is just like Piper. We know they are crazy but they have not harmed anyone in a serious way, and in the wrestling world they have their heads on straight. He also wants to make sure that fans stay out of jail.

Oh that loving story. It never fails to make me laugh.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

Terry Funk is good crazy while Vince is stuff a chicks vagina with leaves crazy.

Is this a phrase I'm not familiar with?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Look up Vince's playboy interview. It is chock full of crazy.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

No, that would a legitimate story that Vince himself told. I dunno where I'd find the link, but if someone else could find it, I'd be grateful, I'd love to read it and :psyduck: again.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I can forgive Vince for just about anything after finding out that he killed Dracula.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Has anyone ever corroborated Hogan's story about blowing out both his knees by randomly deciding to leap from his boat onto a dock? It was SUCH a stupid story in his bio-book, I couldn't take it seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Thauros posted:

http://theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2012/04/the-creepiness-factor-how-obama-and-romney-are-getting-to-know-you/255499/

That should work, had to delete the mobile subside from the URL since I'm on my iPhone.

Don't claim to have any evidence for my assumptions, but if I had to take a guess....

NASCAR - they may be trying to distance themselves from the stereotype but the sport still has a southern "good 'ol boy" image.

Monster trucks - See pro wrestling, probably skews somewhat less Democratically due to having less minority fans.

Grand Am - fan base probably more interested in European cars like the F1 fan base and more likely to live in an urban area.

Motocross - Young rural white guys?
Another possible reason: while 218,000 people is a huge sample size, it actually isn't a big enough sample size to correctly survey every sport. I don't know for sure, but some of those more niche sports likely have less than one million fans in the US, and even a huge overall sample may not be able to bring up a large enough representative sample of say, Supercross/Motocross.