Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Nevets posted:

It appears you are attempting to
banish an Elder God, my good fellow.
Do you require any assistance?

Oh please let this be a thing in the game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

It looks like one of your citizens has taken to bathing in the blood of his colleagues. Would you like to learn how to commit him to an insanitarium?

Lammy!
Jul 3, 2004

WHAT TIME IS IT!?

Mr. Peepers posted:

Read these:

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2012/10/31/the-story-of-shiveringhope/
http://www.gaslampgames.com/2013/02/14/the-sad-strange-tale-of-josiah-nutpin/

They're an example of game mechanics informing a narrative. And since the game is still in development, potential narratives like this can inform new game mechanics.

Thanks for that, though I'd already read them. I guess I should say I was looking for something a bit more concrete / demonstrable as far as how much of a unique story actually really plays out in the game. In the same way, there's plenty of elaborate stories people make based on their experiences playing Dwarf Fortress, but a lot of it is extrapolated solely from the imagination of the player. Essentially I was hoping to find out how much of the storytelling was actually going to be done by the game, vs. inferred by the player.

Lammy! fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Feb 20, 2013

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

From what I understand, the goal is to expand on the DF idea, without really throwing a specific story at you. So you'll still be making up your own narrative based on the bits that the game hands you. Although I'm sure someone official could explain that better.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Will different sized Mutton Chops denote senoirity with the Military forces?

Nevets posted:

I do believe the lower classes aren't addicted enough to Opium. Would you like to order another shipment?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Food supplies are running dangerously low. Would you like to have the orphanage produce more tinned meat product and fewer flesh bricks?

nvining
May 30, 2011

tunnels through walls with its odd, rubbery nasal appliance
UI discussion for military management:

http://www.gaslampgames.com/2013/02/20/tales-from-the-ui-skunkworks-military-management-episode-one-of-a-gazillion/

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

I was originally sad that you don't get DF style micromanagement options until I realized how long it took before I was even able to do simple things in DF's military interface.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I think this is a fairly brilliant system that allows for enough customization (I want a dedicated artillery squad) without being bogged down with micromanagement (Assigning the type of socks for uniforms). Plus, having groups of dregs that you assign for jobs via their bosses is a masterstroke.

Gaslamp Devlog tags posted:

alternative proposals for bureaucracy management include Coggy the steampunk managing gear assistant,

:allears: Never stop.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 20, 2013

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Will we have the option to pick what colour our soldiers fancy Victorian steampunk uniforms can be? And if possible, can we choose the colour of the pants and uniform decoration too?

Or is that getting too fiddily. If so that is cool.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Triskelli posted:

Plus, having groups of dregs that you assign for jobs via their bosses is a masterstroke.

As long as there's a backup chain-of-command that the system can manage on its own. DF constantly ran/runs into problems with "oh, this urgent thing needs doing? Better hope the dwarf leading the squad isn't eating, drinking, sleeping, on break, etc".

nvining
May 30, 2011

BobTheJanitor posted:

From what I understand, the goal is to expand on the DF idea, without really throwing a specific story at you. So you'll still be making up your own narrative based on the bits that the game hands you. Although I'm sure someone official could explain that better.

This is the basic idea, yes. We have lots of fun features being added in order to make things like Let's Plays, round robin style games, etc. easier to run, annotate, and upload to the community. For instance, all the business where everybody running a Dwarf Fortress LP has to produce massive lists of births and deaths, or dumps of artifacts, or whatever... well, we should be able to automate all that, shouldn't we. So a lot of the emphasis is really on playing the game, letting narratives unfold, and then you fill in the blanks (and possibly share with the world.)

That said: there is a tentative plan for a more powerful and more general "events" framework which may propel things forward. I'm not allowed to talk about features that don't have a better roadmap, or David will hit me again with the vegan newspaper, but I will note that there are a few fans of King of Dragon Pass in the office.

nvining
May 30, 2011

SeanBeansShako posted:

Will we have the option to pick what colour our soldiers fancy Victorian steampunk uniforms can be? And if possible, can we choose the colour of the pants and uniform decoration too?

Or is that getting too fiddily. If so that is cool.

I haven't done it, but this seems like a Good Idea (basically, you probably want to be able to distinguish squads from each other, also in multiplayer games.) Let me see if anybody has any objections.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Hello Sailor posted:

As long as there's a backup chain-of-command that the system can manage on its own. DF constantly ran/runs into problems with "oh, this urgent thing needs doing? Better hope the dwarf leading the squad isn't eating, drinking, sleeping, on break, etc".

That's more a case of making sure task priorities and interruptions are handled correctly. It's kinda funny with a dwarf, but hopefully a victorian soldier will rank "Stop the colony from burning to the ground" above "Attending this party".

EDIT: Also, the higher in the command chain, the more important completing an assignment becomes. The definition of "completion" may vary though.

Also, "Hug Tree" needs to be an actual command.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 20, 2013

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

nvining posted:

I haven't done it, but this seems like a Good Idea (basically, you probably want to be able to distinguish squads from each other, also in multiplayer games.) Let me see if anybody has any objections.
I have a feeling you might leave the office with a knife in your ribs with this one, but if it doesn't make it to release I'd be more than willing to pay for this and similar cosmetic junk as DLC.

Also, I'm still on board for seniority being determined by the length of one's mutton chops.

Triskelli posted:

That's more a case of making sure task priorities and interruptions are handled correctly. It's kinda funny with a dwarf, but hopefully a victorian soldier will rank "Stop the colony from burning to the ground" above "Attending this party".
I don't know, man. The officers are aristocrats, so that seems likely to actually happen. I think the NCOs should be more willing to take control when their superiors are off wooing ladies with Poetry written in Basque-analogue or something.

quote:

Also, "Hug Tree" needs to be an actual command.
This leads to trees demanding hugs. Or else.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

nvining posted:

I will note that there are a few fans of King of Dragon Pass in the office.

How many capybaras do you want to sacrifice at the whispering stelae?

You learned the secrets of "Iothoraz Drives Out The Infidels"!

Your scientists have gathered to help propel James Brasstack into the Space Beyond Geometry. 20 members of the local native tribe members who look a bit like fish have arrived to assist; the knowing grins they exchange when they think noone is looking are Nothing To Be Worried About.

What benefit does James Brasstack seek?

1. Bring back an artifact.
2. Increase factory output.
3. Cure the outbreak of Consumptive Fungus.
4. Cyberntic enhancement.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

nvining posted:

I'm not allowed to talk about features that don't have a better roadmap, or David will hit me again with the vegan newspaper, but I will note that there are a few fans of King of Dragon Pass in the office.

>Launch a legal case against the eldritch monolith

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

Triskelli posted:

It's kinda funny with a dwarf, but hopefully a victorian soldier will rank "Stop the colony from burning to the ground" above "Attending this party".

I am not sure you have been following the mindset of the people in this universe. I would guess that their is no better than a 50/50 of an up and coming officer missing an important party with the top officials for something as minor as the doom of his assigned post.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Most excellent Coggy---all he needs are Expressive Eyes to further the lot of it/grant the disdain visually as opposed to just through text...besides we all know that Staring Eyes tag on RPS doesn't award itself and this is a match with destiny.

One of the other best bits to take from KoDP aside from Spectral Lawyering and Vision Questing would have to be the...interesting...foreigners.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

When chaos is happening to the colony, you'll be happy to know the Officers will be lounging around their mess in the barracks sending off their bat boys to do all the hard work.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Cicadalek posted:

>Launch a legal case against the eldritch monolith

Hello Sailor posted:

Your scientists have gathered to help propel James Brasstack into the Space Beyond Geometry. 20 members of the local native tribe members who look a bit like fish have arrived to assist; the knowing grins they exchange when they think noone is looking are Nothing To Be Worried About.

What benefit does James Brasstack seek?

... we'll never sell it to the rest of the team, but I'd play the poo poo out of this.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

There should be a way to 'donate' a dead Colonist body to the University or Doctors to help things out medical wise for the rest of the colony. Like we'd have room for things like 'graveyards'.

Take up good factory and Zeppelin hanger spaces.

Orv
May 4, 2011

SeanBeansShako posted:

There should be a way to 'donate' a dead Colonist body to the University or Doctors to help things out medical wise for the rest of the colony. Like we'd have room for things like 'graveyards'.

Take up good factory and Zeppelin hanger spaces.

Just fill one of the zeppelins with corpses.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010

Orv posted:

If your scientists aren't finding anything to do with the bodies, you should start leaving them next to Mysterious Monoliths more often. Maybe they'll get the correct ideas then.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Also, will there be Highwaymen, Zeppelin Pirates and Anarchists causing chaos inside the colony too? Will I have the option to execute them with cannon? or throw them out a Zeppelin?

Sorry if you've got detailed articles about this stuff already, I'm slowly wading through them.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Orv posted:

Okay, now the game must have a zeppelin ghost ship. The (literally) Flying Dutchman.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

BobTheJanitor posted:

Okay, now the game must have a zeppelin ghost ship. The (literally) Flying Dutchman.

It'd be neat if you could have an airship get blown off course by a stale Northern wind, never to be seen again.

Then three colonies later it shows back up, maybe with goodies, maybe not.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

SeanBeansShako posted:

Come now, we're men of Industry and Industry hates Waste! All that fresh meat will just rot if left out in the sun like that, and our Tinned Food manufactorium has been complaining of a lack of fresh slaughter lately. And let's not toss out the remainder, dem bones will serve in a pinch until Her Majesty's Shipment of Glorious Metals arrive.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

If your art guys need it, I have a gigantic list of images (photos, plates and general sketches) of Napoleonic Wars uniform I will happily drop into this thread for them.

nvining
May 30, 2011

SeanBeansShako posted:

If your art guys need it, I have a gigantic list of images (photos, plates and general sketches) of Napoleonic Wars uniform I will happily drop into this thread for them.

... we're good, thanks. Although, I dunno, the plates might look good in the office on the wall?

EDIT: Also, everybody should ask our CEO questions about waffle-making on Twitter. I'm having too much fun with this Sony press conference thing.

nvining fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Feb 21, 2013

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Hey no problem. I'm just going go crazy nuts waiting for the release date for this now.

Lammy!
Jul 3, 2004

WHAT TIME IS IT!?
I do so hope that corpse management is in fact a thing. A thing which requires graveyards. Because bad things happen in the presence of eldritch horrors, science run amok, and graveyards.

Oh be still my beating heart!

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Lammy! posted:

I do so hope that corpse management is in fact a thing. A thing which requires graveyards. Because bad things happen in the presence of eldritch horrors, science run amok, and graveyards.

And then later, your still heart can beat again! :science:

ScottyBomb
Oct 24, 2005

Cthulhu loves me, this I know, for ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!!
I realize my questions are the worst, but I legitimately don't know if this has been answered yet; are there multiple possible environments for the colony? I mean forests, deserts, mountains, tundra, jungles, etc.

Will there be different needs and dangers depending on your environment? Source of clean water for deserts, risk of disease in the swamp, heating for colder areas, that sort of thing.

And will you be able to pick your starting environment, or will it be totally random?

Everything I've seen so far looks pretty goddamned amazing, I must say. I for one look forward to joining the ranks of the Colonial Administrators, and helping bring Her Majesty's Beacon of Civilization to the New World. What, ho!

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

ScottyBomb posted:

I realize my questions are the worst, but I legitimately don't know if this has been answered yet;

I don't think it's been answered in-depth yet, but yes there are going to be different biomes and randomly generated worlds for you to explore. This blog post shows a swamp biome next to a swamp biome. We haven't seen any embarkation selection yet, but I assume it will be done manually, because picking a location further from the Capitol means that the land will be more savage, more weird things will show up and you'll have a more difficult time keeping everyone sane.

As for unique challenges based on biomes... At the very least I assume there will challenges in what resources the land produces and what resources will need to be imported. Diseases have been hinted at (I think), but I think on the whole we should expect DF features with one or two layers of complexity removed.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Feb 21, 2013

nvining
May 30, 2011

Lammy! posted:

In at least one of the screenshots posted, you will notice pictures of tiny graves. Tiny graves with cog-shaped headstones.

I would assume not digging graves and putting dead bodies in them has consequences, but it is too early to speculate.

ScottyBomb posted:

I realize my questions are the worst, but I legitimately don't know if this has been answered yet; are there multiple possible environments for the colony? I mean forests, deserts, mountains, tundra, jungles, etc.

Yes. See the blog posts on biomes that were ... well, most of December and a lot of January. We spent a lot of time posting about biomes, mainly because Mr. Whitman is still digging away at these. They have different, procedurally set resource distributions and all sorts of Useful Stuff that you might enjoy.

quote:

And will you be able to pick your starting environment?

That's the plan.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
It will be fine as long as you send the corpses to the graveyard by pipe, like any other resource.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I love how this genre is evolving, even for DF a bunch of modders have been working on techs like robots and automatic defences but Toady hasn't been very good at making stuff like this easy.

Has anyone played The Guild? There were two games in the series along with a pirates expansion and while the game was pretty complicated and buggy I had a lot of fun with it. You could run various businesses, get married and educate your children etc. One of my favorites was creating a crime family in a major city and put pickpockets everywhere, then strongarm myself into the gold mines with my ill gotten gains. It also had legitimate business but crafting was way too complicated and setting up chains was a pain in the arse.

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013
Oh please please beta this now I beg you beta this now beta this and I'll be your manservant Daynab only for beta please oh please... :ohdear:

Also, can we build bunkers to wait out the destruction and demise of our colony? Maybe let cabin fever set in and people going batshit crazy on each other. Regular batshit crazy, that is, not Your-skin-belongs-to-the-Algonquian-Demon-fold batshit crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

I love how this genre is evolving, even for DF a bunch of modders have been working on techs like robots and automatic defences but Toady hasn't been very good at making stuff like this easy.

Has anyone played The Guild? There were two games in the series along with a pirates expansion and while the game was pretty complicated and buggy I had a lot of fun with it. You could run various businesses, get married and educate your children etc. One of my favorites was creating a crime family in a major city and put pickpockets everywhere, then strongarm myself into the gold mines with my ill gotten gains. It also had legitimate business but crafting was way too complicated and setting up chains was a pain in the arse.

The Guild (both 1 and 2) are great games, but they both suffer from the same problem that eventually you get so powerful you need all your opponents room to expand. Unfortunately this takes goddamn forever because getting rid of opponents soldiers/carts/buildings is a hideous process. I don't think I've ever completely won a game of 2, they were all sort of moral "I have more money than god, go gently caress yourself" victories.

• Locked thread