Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archie Goodwin
Jan 2, 2012
Using intelligence guided by experience since 1934.
'77 Reuschel, I suppose, but his clone went 16-7 with a 2.58 ERA for mrnoun last year, so I'm not super-eager to sell him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Monathin posted:

With the Second pick of the Second Round of the Dispersal Draft, and the 19th overall Dispersal Draft pick, the Canton Catastrophes select '06 Roy Halladay, in the hopes he's just young enough to keep the average age of my Pitching staff under 30.

Pander and the Sad Pandas are back on the clock.
This is a terrible pick and you would have been better off trading.
I would have gladly traded 03 Halladay, and that would not have cracked the top 5 offers.

:argh:

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

This is a terrible pick and you would have been better off trading.
I would have gladly traded 03 Halladay, and that would not have cracked the top 5 offers.

:argh:

I'm not sure if three years difference would have made the difference for Halladay? I know that was his Cy Young Award year. Though I probably should have traded. I still have like, one more hole to fill, and I doubt I will with any more of my picks. Oh well. :shobon:

SPREADSHEET FOR NEW PAGE: http://tinyurl.com/EC8Dispersal

Monathin fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 20, 2013

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.
Alright, anyone else want a deadballer or a near-deadballer? Tesreau was a staple of the Unicorns for quite some time, Marquard pitched lights-out for me in the EC and so did Rowe when he got a chance. These are all high control, high movement pitchers with great endurance, so they're definitely worth something.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

cbx posted:

Alright, anyone else want a deadballer or a near-deadballer? Tesreau was a staple of the Unicorns for quite some time, Marquard pitched lights-out for me in the EC and so did Rowe when he got a chance. These are all high control, high movement pitchers with great endurance, so they're definitely worth something.

Modern? Jake Peavy the year before his Cy Young?

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

The Merry Marauder posted:

Modern? Jake Peavy the year before his Cy Young?

Tesreau for Peavy?

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Fine with that.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Alright. Trade accepted. 1915 Tesreau for 2006 Peavy.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Great.

If it helps plan for the draft going forward, the Lovables will be taking A Whitey. I don't know when CVE turns in for the evening.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
I'm basically here and in the IRC the entire time. Just waiting for Pander to pick so that I know what I can get. Already got a favorite so if all things go well I'll be done in a couple of minutes.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Pander's pick has been made.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
As per a PM, Pander takes '57 Nellie Fox.

And ScottyJSno will take '53 Whitey Ford.

CVE, you are on the clock!

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

I miss Calvin and Hobbes.

Owner: Robert_Deadford
Home Grounds: Fenway Park

Teams Used
1945 New York Yankees
1957 Boston Red Sox
1964 New York Yankees
1997 Boston Red Sox

Past Records
Expansion Cup VII
73-90, 4th Place, Already Relegated Division
Super-League VIII
70-92, 4th Place, Mark Bellhorn Division, Gauntletted
Gauntlet VII
15-25, 4th Place, Relegated

Championship History
4x Television Champions

Important Arguments Left Unresolved by the Relegation of the New England Arguments

1. Which is better: Boston or New York?

This argument, which has been going on since colonial times, pits the relatively tiny, but historic burg of Boston against the uncaring colossus that is New York. The proponents of Boston point out that a lot of "wicked cool poo poo" happened there, but neglect to point out that all of said poo poo happened in the 18th century, and nothing much has happened since then. They also claim to be a cultural/academic center of America, which appears to be just a huge lie. Also, they have no street grid, instead having chosen to adopt a street plan they evidently copied from a 14th century English market town, making navigation impossible, but for the fact that Boston is only the size of large city park.

On the other hand, New York, with its population of roughly 50 billion people, is big, and therefore controls the money and culture destiny of America. Given how things have gone lately, though, that's probably nothing to be proud of. Also, the housing prices in New York are so extreme that only the rich can afford to live in most parts of the city, and this has allowed noted plutocrat Michael Bloomberg to take over, and helpfully show us just how horribly unpleasant a nanny state controlled by an out-of-touch billionaire can be. Evidently, to the super-wealthy, limiting soft drink sizes is a mark of good governance, while compromising with labor unions is somehow a sign of weakness. I guess Bloomberg just wants to make sure that the underclass is healthy enough to work 12-hour shifts at low, low wages.

Also, I would be remiss if I did not point out that the borough of Brooklyn has created certain...problems for the Super-League in the past, and this may, justifiably so, cloud my judgment.

VERDICT: Do not move to either of these cities

2. Which is better from a sports perspective? Boston or New York?

That is a better question.

Boston has a bunch of teams. First, it has the Red Sox, who heroically won the 2004 World Series, ensuring that the next decade would be full of Bill Simmons and Denis Leary and Michael Chiklis and all of the other celebrities from Boston talking on our televisions about how great that season was. In addition, over 1500 books were written about that team, leading to the felling of many, many trees. Since then, it has become vogue to call the Red Sox "Yankees North" or the like. However, since they lost 90 games in 2012, that is clearly inaccurate.

The New England Patriots are also headquartered near Boston, and features Tom Brady, who is beloved by female fans all over the country for his attractive appearance and decision, in the name of sportsmanship, to stop winning championships after his third one. Also, they have guys dressed as Minutemen at their games who shoot muskets. Whether this is to celebrate touchdowns or attempt to wound the other team's defensive players is as of yet unknown.

The Bruins play hockey, and have a rivalry with the Montreal Canadiens, created by the Bostonians well-known hatred of all things French. They apparently won the Stanley Cup in 2011 which, coincidentally, was exactly the same time that Bill Simmons started writing about hockey.

The Boston Celtics have won the most league titles in NBA history. Granted, exactly one of those occurred in my lifetime, but for those Boston fans who are middle-aged or older, they still remember the legacy of Larry Bird, best known to my generation for his cameo in Space Jam. Also, Rondo sucks.

New York, on the other hand, has many, many teams, almost none of which are successful.

The Yankees, in addition to be a successful baseball team, were an experiment undertaken by MLB to determine what the effect of raw capitalism on a sports league would have. 26 world titles later, the experiment continues. In addition, the New York Yankees are the current team of super-cheater Alex Rodriguez, who is currently signed to the team for 100 million dollars a year until the end of time. I feel it's necessary to remind Yankees fans of that.

The Mets are the other baseball team in New York, and are the favored team of those too self-loathing to be a fan of the Yankees. They have won two titles in their existence, in 1969, when they crushed the dreams of Cubs fans, and in 1986, when they crushed the dreams of Red Sox fans. Also, their 1986 team was composed mainly of junkies and other criminals, with not really any good people in the bunch. What I'm trying to say, I guess, is that the Mets deserve all the misery that's coming to them.

The New York Knicks have not won a title since 1973. Despite this, and the fact that the Knicks have only been sporadically successfully since then, most media outlets continue to treat the Knicks as a marquee franchise in the league, despite the fact that this is a bitter, bitter lie, and it is one they will have to live with for the rest of their life.

The Brooklyn Nets also count as a New York team, much as Brooklyn counts as part of New York. They are owned by a Russian billionaire who gained his wealth in the massive economic upheaval following the dissolution of the Soviet Union using means that most, though not most Russians, would consider super-corrupt.

The New York Giants are basically assholes. Also, they're not really from New York. Meaning they are lying assholes.

The New York Jets really, really want to be like the New York Giants, but don't know how to do that, so do things like signing Tim Tebow instead. It would be sad, but they are from New York, and so therefore deserve no mercy.

The Rangers and Islanders are the hockey teams of New York, but you will not know this unless one or both of the teams are actually contenders for the Stanley Cup. Which is never, so you will never hear about them. Especially the Islanders, who may not ever exist as a team anymore.

Verdict: I hate all of these teams!

3. If a ninja from New York fought a pirate from Boston, who would win?

Can I get a clarification on the circumstances of this fight?

4. Certainly! Okay, so the mayor of New York has decided that he can no longer suffer the existence of an independent Boston outside of his control. Therefore, he has hired the finest ninja in all of New York to sneak into the mansion of the mayor of Boston, kidnap the mayor's family, and therefore force the mayor of Boston to sign control of his city over to New York, lest the ninja harm his loved ones. The mayor of Boston, however, is not willing to destroy everything he has worked for so readily, and so has contracted the finest pirate in Boston to rescue his family and save the city of Boston.

Thanks. Okay, clearly, the best way to attack a ninja stronghold in New York, especially if you're a pirate, is by sea. The pirate would maneuver down the East River to the ninja's base in Brooklyn, as that is the borough where most ninja bases are located. He will then need to pay off one of the ninja's followers, preferably a disenchanted protege, in order to gain access to the building, as a pirate has no real hope of evading the deadly booby traps set by the ninja.

Once inside, the pirate, by custom, would need to stop and have a tea break, as everyone knows that pirates were inveterate tea drinkers who felt compelled to drink a hot mug of tea, preferably black tea, before embarking on any sort of physical exertion. The pirate would eventually make his way to the ninja who, despite the best efforts of the pirates to remain hidden, would have seen his opponent coming for some time. But the ninja, looking to take care of this matter once and for all, and having an arrogance all too common among men of his station, would challenge the pirate to single combat, with the fate of two cities on the line.

Who would win the final confrontation is hard to say, but would be determined rather quickly. Should the pirate score a fatal wound with a shot from his pistol, he would be able to free the mayor of Boston's family, and thus save the day. Should he fail, a shuriken to the neck would be his reward, and New York would force Boston to subjugate itself to the Big Apple. As to which outcome is more likely, who can say?

Verdict: Unknowable

5. Who was better? Mickey Mantle or Ted Williams?

That depends on how important you think defense really is. Ted Williams was the better hitter, but he didn't give a poo poo about defense. In fact, whenever he was out in the field, he spent most of his time angrily glaring at the fans in the stands, probably wondering if he could take them in a fight. He loving hated all of those guys.

Mickey Mantle, on the other hand, could play center field, a premium defensive position, relatively well, and his hitting stats, in reality, weren't all that much worse than Ted Williams when you adjust for era and ball park. Ted Williams had an OPS+ of 190, while Mickey Mantle had an OPS+ of 172. It's definitely an interesting question, and one that I was hoping that the Arguments would have answered for me.

Verdict: Unknowable

6. Will the knuckleball ever make a comeback in the Major Leagues?

Well, it's hard to learn, hard to throw consistently, doesn't work well in smaller stadiums or warmer climes because the ball just carries too much, and, ironically enough, the more pitchers that use it, the easier it is for hitters to get used to it, meaning that every new knuckleballer would further dilute the effectiveness of the pitch.

In fact, once the number of knuckleballers in the major leagues gets higher than four or five, all existing knuckleballers are gripping with an irresistible urge to destroy each other until only one remains. The last time this happened was roughly a decade ago, and ended with Tim Wakefield beheaded Steve Sparks on the shoulder of a deserted stretch of I-70 just outside of Breezewood, Pennsylvania.

The current Prince of Knuckleballers, R.A. Dickey knows the bloody history of the knuckleballers, and has already defeated Charlie Zink and Charlie Haeger in single combat. But he knows that the day is coming when he will be forced to defend his position in a final knuckleballer-on-knuckleballer battle to the death. For the life of a knuckleballer can only end in ignominious retirement or death.

Verdict: In the end, there can be only one.

7. What killed the Arguments? Bad Design or Bad Luck?

Bad Design. Sorry. But Ted Williams and Mickey Mantle can't make a good team by themselves.

Verdict: Poor Snuffy!

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

The Million Dollar Men draft with their 2nd round pick and 22nd overall pick '12 Albert Pujols

Mooseontheloose and the Harvard Elites are on the clock.

CVE fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 20, 2013

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

The HARVARD ELITISTM pick Ron Santo 1969.

Gricklegrass is on the clock!

GrickleGrass
Dec 18, 2011

I speak for the trees.

The Montreal Manatees select Willie Stargell ('64)!

EDIT: And Grinn's on the clock.

GrickleGrass fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 21, 2013

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007
Idaho selects 1964 Whitey Ford

Ginge
Sep 8, 2011

Well, Chippy is already my favourite character!

Rakers select '97 Nomar Garciaparra with their second round pick.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Ken Griffey Jr '90 I suppose defense doesn't hurt.

Now I have an odd man out in the outfield. I can move either '08 Carlos Beltran or '93 Gary Sheffield for either an upcoming pick or a catcher. Sheffield might cost a little more since this version can play third and I wouldn't really mind having him instead of Ken McMullen on the bench.

Bograt
Nov 4, 2009

MagNIFicent

Well, I've already made one bad call in this Dispersal Draft, trading my third round pick for Buddy Bell. Time to double down on mistakes!

Welcome my son. Welcome to The Machine '??.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Bograt's pick puts Gabriel Pope on the clock.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

The Forgettables will take 2004 Billy Wagner. I WILL HAVE ALL THE RELIEF PITCHING.

Senerio, you're up.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Senerio, as per the prefs left, drafts Lefty Grove '27, which means theacox is up.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Senerio picks '27 Lefty Grove.

theacox is on theaclox!

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Gabriel Pope posted:

The Forgettables will take 2004 Billy Wagner. I WILL HAVE ALL THE RELIEF PITCHING.

I have to ask, why?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I have to ask, why?

Cause we learned nothing from Bruiser.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Speaking of He Who Shall Not Be Named, has there ever been a sighting of that book report?

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

I waited all this time for Lefty only to have him be picked right before me...ughh.

Gotta go with:

Robin Roberts '51

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

With the last pick in the 2nd round, the Cougars select:

2004 Chipper Jones

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Mooseontheloose posted:

Cause we learned nothing from Bruiser.

I never paid attention to him in the first place, so obviously not.

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I have to ask, why?

I prefer to think of it as seeding the dispersal draft pool for future expansion classes, which are usually woefully short on quality relievers. Sustainable drafting practices are a vital part of maintaining a healthy Super-League ecosystem.

I'm... not sure how exactly this squares with my stated goal of destroying the Super-League. Apparently I'm playing the long game? It's been so long I kind of forgot what my rationale was supposed to be.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Some discussion in IRC and the draft document lead to the creation of this team, that I wish to record for posterity

Denny's presents The Idaho Potatobodies , the all time all star all fat guys team! Around the country major league teams are forced to replace the bench as poo poo gets.. heavy.

Manager: Bobby Cox

Catcher: Smokey Burgess and Ernie Lombardi platoon, as perhaps the two fattest dudes to ever fail to beat out a bunt.
1B: Mo Vaughn, the inspiration for this teams success.
2B: Ronnie Belliard, most second base guys are pretty skinny. Ronnie is.. fat.
3B: Pablo Sandoval, there are many contenders for this slot - Bob Horner, Terry Pendleton, Miguel Cabrera, but the first two arn't good enough and Cabrera isn't fat enough.

SS: Juan Uribe - This is a position for skinny dudes, and Uribe is large by shortstop standards, but trim by this team's standards.

LF: Dmitri Young
CF: Kirby Puckett is the skinnest guy in the outfield for the first time ever.
RF: Babe Ruth - The orginal fat man

DH: Prince Fielder, anyone who has seen his slides into second can testify, this is a huge dude.

Bench: Derek Eater
Bench: Cecil Fielder - Mo Vaughn's defensive sub..
Bench: John Kruk - Sponsored by Denny's.
Bench: Tony Gywnn - Fat. Good. All star.
Bench: The other fat catcher.

Rotation:

SP 1: CC Sabathia
SP 2: Rick "Big Daddy" Reuschel
SP 3: Bartolo Colon
SP 4: Livan Hernandez
SP 5: Boomer Wells

CL: John Broxton, the fattest fastball alive
SU: Terry Forster!
SR: Bobby Jenks
SR: Joba Chamberlin
MR: Heath Bell
LR: Ryu Hyun-jin

One intresting note - fat pitchers in the majors are statistically better (no surprise, all things being equal they'll take the skinner dude), but also more durable than skinny pitchers. Our rotation bears that out, these are guys with long careers.

Honourable Mentions / Minors Leagues

Rich Garces - Not good enough
Miguel Cabrera - Not fat enough
Terry Pendleton - Pablo is fatter, and better
Bob Horner - See Pendleton
Bengie Molina - Our backup catcher.
Wily Mo Pena - Not good enough

How does this compare to a real SL team? It's pretty good actually, tragic defence aside, they would win 100 games in a normal league just on the sheer quantities of power in the lineup, and assuming Derek Eater can start at short, you've got hall of fame locks at DH, SS, CF, RF, and hopefully your power bats can overcome the gapping hole at 2B and a mediocre rotation. Putting Cabrera in the field helps even more.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Feb 21, 2013

Pete Ladd
Mar 9, 2012
Anybody want to move into the top of the third (that is, now) and pick up a starting pitcher before they fall off a cliff after Kevin Brown? There's a good SS in Trammell and not-rookie McGwire and a number of other pieces there. A deal for the the pick outright or a trade-down would be fine, either way.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

NotThatSamBeckett posted:

Anybody want to move into the top of the third (that is, now) and pick up a starting pitcher before they fall off a cliff after Kevin Brown? There's a good SS in Trammell and not-rookie McGwire and a number of other pieces there. A deal for the the pick outright or a trade-down would be fine, either way.

I would be interested in this pick. What are you looking for?

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Verdict: Poor Snuffy!

Oh Smasher....you had me at Calvin and Hobbes :allears:

And absolutely, bad awful terrible design. However, I note with great interest the huge number of former Arguments whizzing off the board in the draft. The tools were not without merit, but the workman was a bit of an arse. This time.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
Same problem as yesterday. I will not be online for a good 17 hours or more.

My top 4 picks for round 3...

1.Mark McGwire '89
2.Roberto Clemente '64
3.Earl Averill '37
4.Alan Trammell '86

Thank for the last pick and this one too.

Pete Ladd
Mar 9, 2012

mrnoun posted:

I would be interested in this pick. What are you looking for?

Probably nothing you'd be willing to give. You've got an amazing lineup and rotation, but not much depth. Ah well.

Pete Ladd
Mar 9, 2012
Double posting to force the issue and drafting

Alan Trammell. We have Tulo, so are willing to move him to a shortstop-bereft org.

I assume Cthulhu Dreams or cbx has traded for the next pick? Oh, it's still Monathin? Huh.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Hey, don't count me out so easily, Sam!

With the second pick in the third round, and the 34th pick overall, the Canton Catastrophes select:

'06 Joe Mauer.

Pander and the Sad Pandas are back up on the clock.

Ginge
Sep 8, 2011

Well, Chippy is already my favourite character!
Trade offer!

Walney Rakers receive:

Million Dollar Men's 3rd round pick (pick 37)
Million Dollar Men's 4th round pick (pick 60)

Million Dollar Men receive:

Tijuana Mules' 3rd round pick via Walney Rakers (pick 43)
Walney Rakers' 4th round pick (pick 49)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Trade accepted.