Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Red Mike posted:

Pretty good guess, especially considering the title screen, but I didn't have a NES/SNES, so it can't have been. The gameplay itself doesn't look familiar, either.

Rings of Power actually did come out on PC also so it could be that.

If you could actually move the character around on screen then maybe The Immortal? That game was ported to everything. The Wizard graphic isn't in the foreground at all times but it used very large sprites for the inventory and combat graphics. Definitely the best game where you can walk one step to the left after starting and immediately be consumed by one of the sandworms from Dune:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqC-B5hfWkI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

cmndstab posted:

How sure are you that it was a puzzle game? You might be thinking of a screen from Hocus Pocus or something like that around those times.

http://www.myabandonware.com/media/captures/H/hocus-pocus/thumbs/hocus-pocus_3.jpg

I played a whole bunch of puzzle games around that time, do you remember any more details?

That's the one! Thank you so much! And thank you all for the guesses.

Was definitely conflating it with another puzzle game, but this was the one I'm looking for, definitely.

I Love My Axe
Dec 30, 2009

Let's go Blue Pants!

Nerdfest X posted:

An arcade vector graphic green screen-only game from early 80's. You were a square spaceship that stayed in the middle of the screen. Baddies fly around your space ship, do a lap or two around you, then attempted to crash into you, and you had to shoot them. As them game progresses, more and more baddies come, they get faster, and they wait less time before they start to kamikazi, until it becomes overwhelming. You had one button for "fire' that you spammed like mad, and 4 other buttons in each cardinal direction that pointed the laser, which could only point in one direction a time. Baddies were one shot kills, and a single baddies crashing into you was a life lost. Although not intended to be a co-op effort, we would play this game in pairs, with one person doing the aiming, pushing one of the 4 buttons (up, down, left or right) and the other person using 2 hands to push the fire button as fast as humanly possible repeatedly to increase the firing rate.

It's not vector, but Space Zap?

http://www.arcade-museum.com/game_detail.php?game_id=9692

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
Yes, this is it, thank you so much! I'm not sure why I remember it as a monochrome green vector game. Maybe there was a vector version before this, but not having seen it for 30 years might have clouded my memory.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Does anyone remember an old PC flight/space combat sim type of game where you flew around in these sort of futuristic VTOL craft? It had pretty decent looking 3D graphics and the combat was in atmosphere but it played kind of like a space sim. Also it wasn't Hardwar which I know sort of fits that description.

I remember playing a demo of it back when it came out but never played the full version. Since I can't find anything that matches that description on space sim lists it probably sucked but I still want to look it up again.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

Does anyone remember an old PC flight/space combat sim type of game where you flew around in these sort of futuristic VTOL craft? It had pretty decent looking 3D graphics and the combat was in atmosphere but it played kind of like a space sim. Also it wasn't Hardwar which I know sort of fits that description.

I remember playing a demo of it back when it came out but never played the full version. Since I can't find anything that matches that description on space sim lists it probably sucked but I still want to look it up again.

Was it first person? Because it might be Terminal Velocity (which was such a good game you should try it anyway, even if that's not it).

archerb
Mar 3, 2005
I've got a vague recollection of a game I played in the mid-nineties that I'm trying to remember the name of.

It's a 2d platformer for the PC in which you played as a knight or other warrior-type character. As you played you accrued gold from killing monsters or opening treasure chests or something, and when you died you'd lose most or all of it. You could store the gold in a bank, and the screen you did this on had a portrait of the banker, a pissed off looking old dude writing with a quill pen and adjusting his glasses.

This rear end in a top hat's face has been lodged in my memory for a this long and I just want it gone, please help me games forum.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

archerb posted:

I've got a vague recollection of a game I played in the mid-nineties that I'm trying to remember the name of.

It's a 2d platformer for the PC in which you played as a knight or other warrior-type character. As you played you accrued gold from killing monsters or opening treasure chests or something, and when you died you'd lose most or all of it. You could store the gold in a bank, and the screen you did this on had a portrait of the banker, a pissed off looking old dude writing with a quill pen and adjusting his glasses.

This rear end in a top hat's face has been lodged in my memory for a this long and I just want it gone, please help me games forum.

Is this the banker you're looking for?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Sounds like it could be G-Police.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

So this was an NES game I either rented or played at a friend or neighbor's house one time, and it's really bugging me...

This was a platformer where you played as some Knight type character, and the only level I remember had really tall trees that spanned multiple screens high. It was sorta Metroidvania-esque, in that I think you could collect items and explore a somewhat open world, though I don't remember if it was one huge world of multiple levels that were just huge and explorable. It definitely wasn't Ghouls 'n Ghosts.

Any thoughts? I know this description is pretty vague...

Edit: Some thorough Googling revealed it as Wizards and Warriors. Cool.

Quarterroys fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Feb 20, 2013

al-azad
May 28, 2009

This is a long running series of tactical WWII games throughout the 90s (although the one I'm looking for is late 90s). Top down, turn based, either 2D graphics or primitive 3D. The highlight was the squad based combat and the game would generate detailed mission reports at the end of a level. I recall the game saying stuff like "Private Rogers destroyed a tiger tank with his panzerfaust!" or "Sergeant So-and-So valiantly held the line until an enemy bullet pierced his skull."

Forgedbow
Jun 1, 2012

have a cigar

al-azad posted:

This is a long running series of tactical WWII games throughout the 90s (although the one I'm looking for is late 90s). Top down, turn based, either 2D graphics or primitive 3D. The highlight was the squad based combat and the game would generate detailed mission reports at the end of a level. I recall the game saying stuff like "Private Rogers destroyed a tiger tank with his panzerfaust!" or "Sergeant So-and-So valiantly held the line until an enemy bullet pierced his skull."
I seem to remember the early Close Combat games having a debrief like that, maybe?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Forgedbow posted:

I seem to remember the early Close Combat games having a debrief like that, maybe?

Specifically it was Close Combat 3, thank you. It didn't have detailed sentences but I always remembered the detailed debriefings that told you who killed whom and with what weapon and any other states like panicking or surrending.

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!
I'm trying to remember a game, it was a text-based CYOA you played in a web browser. It started off with you being hired as some sort of scout, possibly had something to do with Paladins, your inventory and health and stuff was all built into the browser interface.

Not much information to go on, I know, but I can't see to find anything. I got the link from an old Let's Play that was done of the game, but I can't find that anymore.

jrosesn
Jan 2, 2013
Trying to remember the name of a game I only vaguely remember. It's a 2d space strategy game and I think it used sprites and a square grid overlay thing.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Give us a loving year, at least!

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Alpha Centauri. :shrug:

jrosesn
Jan 2, 2013

scamtank posted:

Give us a loving year, at least!

Played it probably about 5-7 years ago, game was made around the same time. Can't remember anything else that could help.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

jrosesn posted:

Trying to remember the name of a game I only vaguely remember. It's a 2d space strategy game and I think it used sprites and a square grid overlay thing.

http://www.synthetic-reality.com/warpath.htm

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

jrosesn posted:

Played it probably about 5-7 years ago, game was made around the same time. Can't remember anything else that could help.
I suspect that you just aren't trying hard enough.
  • Turn-based, real-time, or hybrid?
  • Did it put you in control of an empire/economy (e.g. Master of Orion) or in command of a small fleet (e.g. Star Control II) or just a single ship (e.g. FTL)?
  • Did you have to manage personnel, officers, etc, with RPG-style personal stats?
  • Were there energy weapons, energy shields, ballistic weapons, missiles, fighter craft, space marines, boarding actions, etc? (be specific)
  • Did it include FTL and multiple star systems, or was it more hard-SF?
  • Were there dialogue sections involving superior officers, fleet command, opposing captains, etc? Or were missions introduced with simple text briefings without fancy characterization?
  • Was the "space background" just black speckled with stars, or did it include a lot of colorful nebulae?
  • Were there alien races? (if so, were they humanoid or amoeboid or silicoid or what? hostile, allied, or somewhere in between?)
  • Was there trading and/or diplomacy?
  • Was there a campaign mode or was it just individual skirmishes? Multiplayer?
  • Was there resource management? If so, what kind (e.g. mining planets, building collectors on nodes, salvaging defeated opponents, managing a budget, etc)?
  • Was it controlled with keyboard and mouse, or did it favour joystick control?
  • How did you encounter the game - was it perhaps included as a demo with a more popular title?

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Zaodai posted:

Was it first person? Because it might be Terminal Velocity (which was such a good game you should try it anyway, even if that's not it).

Terminal velocity is too old, it looks cool though. I'm pretty sure it was a hovering space ship game from around the lens flare era. Now that I think about it, I could probably find it if there's a game database that lets me sort by date and genre since there weren't that many sims being published by time lens flares were in!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Terminal velocity is too old, it looks cool though. I'm pretty sure it was a hovering space ship game from around the lens flare era. Now that I think about it, I could probably find it if there's a game database that lets me sort by date and genre since there weren't that many sims being published by time lens flares were in!

Did you look at G-Police, like what Golbez said? VTOL kinda helicopters without rotors, slidey-feeling strafing, set in cities under a big dome. Pretty sure it had lens flare too, maybe hexagonal ones. It looked pretty fancy at the time

jrosesn
Jan 2, 2013

GulMadred posted:

I suspect that you just aren't trying hard enough.
  • Turn-based, real-time, or hybrid?
  • Did it put you in control of an empire/economy (e.g. Master of Orion) or in command of a small fleet (e.g. Star Control II) or just a single ship (e.g. FTL)?
  • Did you have to manage personnel, officers, etc, with RPG-style personal stats?
  • Were there energy weapons, energy shields, ballistic weapons, missiles, fighter craft, space marines, boarding actions, etc? (be specific)
  • Did it include FTL and multiple star systems, or was it more hard-SF?
  • Were there dialogue sections involving superior officers, fleet command, opposing captains, etc? Or were missions introduced with simple text briefings without fancy characterization?
  • Was the "space background" just black speckled with stars, or did it include a lot of colorful nebulae?
  • Were there alien races? (if so, were they humanoid or amoeboid or silicoid or what? hostile, allied, or somewhere in between?)
  • Was there trading and/or diplomacy?
  • Was there a campaign mode or was it just individual skirmishes? Multiplayer?
  • Was there resource management? If so, what kind (e.g. mining planets, building collectors on nodes, salvaging defeated opponents, managing a budget, etc)?
  • Was it controlled with keyboard and mouse, or did it favour joystick control?
  • How did you encounter the game - was it perhaps included as a demo with a more popular title?

I only played the game for a few hours one day years ago, so it'd hard to remember anything about it that I can confidently say is true. I'll try elaborate a bit though.

- Can't remember.
- I'll say small fleet. Was played top down 2D and the playing area was sort of like a chessboard, x wide by x high with the outside of the square being the boundries and a grid over it. Though I can't remember if you could move freely or only on those tiles.
- No.
- Can't remember.
- Can't remember
- I'd lean towards black with speckled stars given that I remember it being very low fi.
- Can't remember.
- I think it was more of just a DM-y strategy, so I'll go with no.
- Can't remember.
- Can't remember.
- Mouse and keyboard.
- Almost certain it was a demo, and didn't download many demos at the time so probably from PC gamer or some other UK magazine. That'sj ust an assumption from the rough time I played it though.

Apologies for being so vague about it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I've got vague recollections of two sidescrolling platformers I'm trying to remember from my early years. I played these around 1989-1990, but I'm not sure when they actually released seeing as how I have no idea what they were. :v:

- One was an NES game. You started controlling a bipedal battlemech sort of thing, I recall it had a curved canopy, was bright gray, and had some rather awful guns, but not much else. You could get out of it and run around as a tiny man, or you were forced out when your walker exploded, and you were fragile as hell. I seem to specifically recall the second level may have been the Twin Towers, or at least it was two very tall towers with walkways between them on various floors.

- The other I'm even less sure about. It was on the TurboGrafx-16, and I seem to remember the spritework being about as anime as it ever got back then. First level looked like a sort of ye olde small Japanese town. At the end of the level, with some elaborate rainbow effects in the background (:dominic: is actually very close to my memory) you either entered or became some sort of Gundam-ish robot. The second level was dark and on fire a lot, and started you high up in the level; it might have been Hell or something like that.

... boy those are even more vague when I put them out in text form. :psyduck:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 3, 2013

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

- The other I'm even less sure about. It was on the TurboGrafx-16, and I seem to remember the spritework being about as anime as it ever got back then. First level looked like a sort of ye olde small Japanese town. At the end of the level, with some elaborate rainbow effects in the background (:dominic: is actually very close to my memory) you either entered or became some sort of Gundam-ish robot. The second level was dark and on fire a lot, and started you high up in the level; it might have been Hell or something like that.

... boy those are even more vague when I put them out in text form. :psyduck:

That sounds like Keith Courage.

jack.
Sep 1, 2001

Ciaphas posted:

- One was an NES game. You started controlling a bipedal battlemech sort of thing, I recall it had a curved canopy, was bright gray, and had some rather awful guns, but not much else. You could get out of it and run around as a tiny man, or you were forced out when your walker exploded, and you were fragile as hell. I seem to specifically recall the second level may have been the Twin Towers, or at least it was two very tall towers with walkways between them on various floors.

Metal Mech?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loUmgVqhciE

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

My goodness, two for two. That's kind of staggering. Thank you both!

wow i played some crappy games as a kid

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005
There was a side scrolling game in which you flew through tunnels shooting, firing missiles and dropping bombs on various installations. These installations sometimes had missiles and guns to fire back and there may have been other gunships attacking you too.

I think this may have been a dos game or earlier, any ideas?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
There's probably a million of those. Was it a sci-fi setting, or somewhat contemporary? Earlier than DOS? So not on the PC?

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

JamesieAB posted:

There was a side scrolling game in which you flew through tunnels shooting, firing missiles and dropping bombs on various installations. These installations sometimes had missiles and guns to fire back and there may have been other gunships attacking you too.

Sounds a lot like the early arcade game Scramble, so maybe some version or derivative of that?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

JamesieAB posted:

It wasn't Airwolf was it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p3wPgQ9cew

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUGaw_qJEQ8

Cobra Command, maybe?

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Does anyone remember an old car racing game for the Apple II or Amiga where you were dealt cards that you use to progress forward or to hamper your opponent?

There were also special cards that gave you power ups like self-inflating tires.

Forgedbow
Jun 1, 2012

have a cigar
Sounds like a actual card game called Mille Bornes, which has had a number of computerized versions throughout the years.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Forgedbow posted:

Sounds like a actual card game called Mille Bornes, which has had a number of computerized versions throughout the years.

Hey, that's it. No wonder I couldn't find it with a name like that. Thanks.

Robotic_Towel
Sep 1, 2005

Not Machine Washable
Mid-to-late 90's PC game, it was VTOL ship combat, one of the first missions took place on Ganymede, one of Jupiter's moons. You were fighting the chinese, and they had stealth ships. I remember playing the demo of this game when I was younger, and I was blown away by the fact that if your ship got blown up, you ejected and could run around with a rifle. I seriously can't remember the name of the game, or much more then that. I for some reason have the begining monologue memorized from it, but googling that yielded nothing.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Robotic_Towel posted:

Mid-to-late 90's PC game, it was VTOL ship combat, one of the first missions took place on Ganymede, one of Jupiter's moons. You were fighting the chinese, and they had stealth ships. I remember playing the demo of this game when I was younger, and I was blown away by the fact that if your ship got blown up, you ejected and could run around with a rifle. I seriously can't remember the name of the game, or much more then that. I for some reason have the begining monologue memorized from it, but googling that yielded nothing.

Wikipedia has a list of games that take place on Ganymede. None of them explicitly mention the Chinese, but maybe that'll help.

jack.
Sep 1, 2001

Robotic_Towel posted:

Battlezone: The Red Odyssey?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi9NyHftfbM

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
A game maybe sometime in the early-mid 2000's I played a demo of on Cnet. It was very much like Majesty, where you ran a kingdom but your heroes kind of did their own thing, it was kind of simmy with management of heroes buying their own gold. It has been awhile so details are shoddy.

Any games on PC that are like majesty at all would be a good way to start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamesieAB
Nov 5, 2005

Hal Incandenza posted:

Sounds a lot like the early arcade game Scramble, so maybe some version or derivative of that?

Yep thats it, I think I played the arcade game and later a pc version.

Thanks!