Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

They are the AC/DC of the genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

hatelull posted:

They are the AC/DC of the genre.

I thought Funker Vogt was the AC/DC of the genre

e: Yeah, I guess KMFDM is a better fit. They've been around forever and are consistently decent just like AC/DC (I think? I know nothing about AC/DC), whereas Funker Vogt has been in a steady decline, as far as I've understood.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 20, 2013

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

AC/DC will always sound like AC/DC. They do not make any songs that are NOT AC/DC. I am nothing close to resembling even a casual fan of AC/DC, but I can recognize an AC/DC song immediately on the radio and I am 99% certain that every song on an AC/DC record will follow the AC/DC formula. The same can be said "more or less" from KMFDM. Sure, they evolved some from those early "gently caress off art school" records but everything from say post-Adios has been mostly color by numbers.

I was excited and interested in KMFDM in that odd period where peripheral figures would show up on the album. I really dig the Connelly tracks, the Ogre tracks, the "Dogma" spoken word thing. When that stopped, it got boring. Nihil still has some of the best singles they ever did, and I absolutely enjoy stuff from Symbols and Adios but yeah a lot of the late era material is interchangeable for me.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

hatelull posted:

AC/DC will always sound like AC/DC. They do not make any songs that are NOT AC/DC. I am nothing close to resembling even a casual fan of AC/DC, but I can recognize an AC/DC song immediately on the radio and I am 99% certain that every song on an AC/DC record will follow the AC/DC formula. The same can be said "more or less" from KMFDM. Sure, they evolved some from those early "gently caress off art school" records but everything from say post-Adios has been mostly color by numbers.

I was excited and interested in KMFDM in that odd period where peripheral figures would show up on the album. I really dig the Connelly tracks, the Ogre tracks, the "Dogma" spoken word thing. When that stopped, it got boring. Nihil still has some of the best singles they ever did, and I absolutely enjoy stuff from Symbols and Adios but yeah a lot of the late era material is interchangeable for me.

Yeah. It seems that the main-KMFDM albums are mostly Sascha writing for the band that has been around him for what, over a decade now, but when he has to work outside his comfort zone, he can still deliver, as seen with the aforementioned OK-ZTEIN-OK and Skold vs KMFDM.

You could build one really kickass 11-track KMFDM album from the best cuts off the newer albums, though, that's for sure.

e: I do have to say that part of the problem seems to be just that the delightfully disgusting sleazy elements Watts and, to a lesser extent, En Esch seemed to bring to the table are missing. I can't say I'm a fan of Slick Idiot, though.

e2: Just listening to the new Blutengel album on Spotify and holy poo poo it sounds ~~amazing~~

e3: :sbahj: this is ridiculously good

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 20, 2013

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

Speaking of Raymond Watts, he actually released a soundtrack recently, which is the first proper full length he's done since 2004 I think?

It sounds 90s as all hell to me. Depends if you consider that could or bad if you'll like it, but sadly no vocals:

http://raymondpigwatts.bandcamp.com/album/platos-reality-machine-original-soundtrack-2

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

I thought Funker Vogt was the AC/DC of the genre

e: Yeah, I guess KMFDM is a better fit. They've been around forever and are consistently decent just like AC/DC (I think? I know nothing about AC/DC), whereas Funker Vogt has been in a steady decline, as far as I've understood.

They're not in a decline at all, they've stagnated far more than anyone else in the genre. If you plotted a graph of their musical prowess it would be a a strong ramp from 1995 to 2005 at which point it's just a straight line all the way up to today.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
I really liked WWIII, and it's probably the best of the post break-up albums in my opinion. Most of the other albums have a song or two that's really solid (Free your hate, tohuvabohu, Amnesia, Krank) but nothing I listen to on the regular. Although, they were really shaky at the beginning as well, I feel the same way about everything all the way up until about Naive, but more Angst.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Can I get some recommendations of (good) bands with female vocalists? At the moment I think I've only got The Birthday Massacre and Chiasm, not counting bands with occasional/backup female vocalists like Blutengel. I'm not looking for any particular subgenre at the moment, though I generally favor poppy stuff.

Fake edit: Collide, too. Haven't listened to them in a while.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Curve is probably close enough. Half of Ashbury Heights' tracks have female vocals. KMFDM obviously has had some great female vocalists through time.

edit:

bonus early 90s Toronto-based EBM:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4z9PminJpo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABlWdOpeZYM

Supposed to be the answer to Vancouver or something. Amusingly, the album is catalogued as MET012.

edit2: our Finnish (?) friend CAT rear end now!!! might be able to understand some of the Estonian samples.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Feb 21, 2013

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

Listen to In Strict Confidence, they're wonderful.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Armor-Piercing posted:

Can I get some recommendations of (good) bands with female vocalists? At the moment I think I've only got The Birthday Massacre and Chiasm, not counting bands with occasional/backup female vocalists like Blutengel. I'm not looking for any particular subgenre at the moment, though I generally favor poppy stuff.

How to Destroy Angels may count. I think their self-titled EP is all female vocals. Then there's Ladytron, which is more synthpop but still good! Switchblade Symphony is female-led (more gothy than industrial but w/e you cited Collide, speaking of which Ego Likeness is basically indistinguishable from Collide to me and it's female-led too). Kidneythieves is a great group with a female lead vocalist.

Also Angelspit, which is an awesome act and mainly female-led.
edit: well Angelspit is kind of the guy and girl singing at the same time? Give them a try anyway.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Armor-Piercing posted:

Santa Hates You has Jinxy, one of the most kickass female vocalists around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqQl2CFdEvw

Edit: How do you look up something with a generic name like Collide on Youtube? All I get is some stupid pop song.

Sloppy fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Feb 21, 2013

Mr. Swoon
Nov 25, 2003

ALL WE DO IS PARTY

Armor-Piercing posted:

The Break Up might be good if you're leaning towards the poppy side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qot54Cxiy4s

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Re: Female-fronted bands

May I suggest the Finnish Velcra?

Their first two albums lean more on the metal side of things, if that's your thing, and their as of now latest album, Hadal, is more electronic and atmospheric. Personally I'd have to rank Hadal as one of my favorite albums of all time.

They have all their albums on Spotify!

Jeez, it's hard to believe they've been on hiatus for like five years now. I want a new Hadal :smith:

edit: As a side note, the female guest in Turmion Kätilöt's Irstauden Ilosanoma is the singer from Velcra, Jessi Frey.

teethgrinder posted:

edit2: our Finnish (?) friend CAT rear end now!!! might be able to understand some of the Estonian samples.

Sorry, not all that well :shobon: Estonian is a lot like Dutch to Germans, Danish or maybe even English-speaking people - it sounds really familiar and like you should be able to understand it, but in the end you can't, apart from the odd word or two. Written Estonian I can kinda-sorta read, though!

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Feb 21, 2013

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

leahlionheart posted:

If I want experimental, or genre-bending, or changing, dynamic sounds, there are other places I'll look.

I agree, but they used to change things up enough to make each album worthwhile. Money didn't sound like Angst didn't sound like Nihil didn't sound like Xtort didn't sound like Symbols. Each album clearly came from the same band, but there was still an evolution to how they approached their basic sound. Remember when they actually messed around with funk and dub? Remember when they brought in FM Einheit to bang on some poo poo?

Meanwhile, you could blend up Hau Ruck, Tohuvabohu and WTF?! into three new albums of 11 random tracks each and I'd have no idea. It also doesn't help that it's my least favorite version of KMFDM to begin with... I don't know how Lucia managed to be so good on MDFMK and so bad on everything else but here we are, and Sascha was never a terribly dynamic or interesting vocalist, which is why we had En Esch and Ray and Skold and a shitload of guests and divas to mix things up.

I was a massive fan of KMFDM back in the day. Had all the albums, the singles and remix albums, live bootlegs, vinyls, side projects (those Schwein albums weren't cheap to import), videos, and so forth. Christ, I even spent actual money on Don't Blow Your Cover. I blew more money on that band than any other by a huge margin. And I just can't pretend that the quality or variety we're getting these days matches what they were capable of doing back in the 80s and 90s. Worse, I can't even pretend that what they're putting out now is interesting on its own merits. Sascha's like chicken broth... a fantastic base for a whole lot of good things, but bland as poo poo on its own, and time hasn't been terribly kind to him either.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Sloppy posted:

Edit: How do you look up something with a generic name like Collide on Youtube? All I get is some stupid pop song.

The best thing to do is look up a song title and that'll get you into a web of related videos.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

And One has to be one of the worst bands in the scene to google.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

Really? When I Google And One every single entry on the first page is for the band.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Armor-Piercing posted:

Can I get some recommendations of (good) bands with female vocalists? At the moment I think I've only got The Birthday Massacre and Chiasm, not counting bands with occasional/backup female vocalists like Blutengel. I'm not looking for any particular subgenre at the moment, though I generally favor poppy stuff

Check out Unter Null perhaps? It's probably a little harsher than what you're looking for, but it's still worth a shot for female fronted industrial.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Baby Sathanas posted:

Really? When I Google And One every single entry on the first page is for the band.

Hey, seems you're right. I'm willing to bet it's due to Google showing you hits based on your previous searches, though. If you want, say, And One interviews, it's quite a lot harder already. I remember googling for some And One stuff on a school computer for whatever reason some time back and not getting anything until I started using some wicked search engine trickery.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Armor-Piercing posted:

Female-fronted and poppy? Ayria sounds kinda what you're after then (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tk5Bepl2C3Y)? Or Emilie Autumn possibly (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5_H-4JokzA)? I've been listening to a lot of Android Lust recently and think they're worth a listen (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6fVhYTRVp8). Most of the others that I can think of have already been mentioned and it's probably a bit inappropriate to suggest Prometheus Burning when you specified favouring poppy stuff but I'm gonna do it anyway because I think they are great (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePWJC-2QfBQ).

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

Pro Burn is pretty much the #1 band anyway. :toot:

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!
There's a snippet-teaser for THYX's upcoming album due out in May. I thought the first THYX album was brilliant, and I'm glad he's continuing to churn out music since the future of mind.in.a.box seems to be up in the air.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Armor-Piercing posted:

If you like Collide, definitely check out Kidneytheives.

Seconding Ariya and Angelspit as well. Devilicious by Angelspit is so excellent: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyF4XXs3cuE

Whoever suggested Pakt, thank you, I was in need of something new and I'm really enjoying them.

I'm more excited for Orgy being back on tour than anyone has a right to be, but when Candyass hit in 1998 and I was in middle school I thought it was the best thing ever and they're a huge part of my musical introduction to industrial. :)

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Armor-Piercing posted:

If poppy is what you like then Parralox might just be what you're looking for.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33wXU3Veyao

Northern Kind are good too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pud0nWup8S0

as are Client
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDbXqP7z-Uc

They're all much more electropop than "industrial".

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Female vocals.

Wait for this crazy (but patient) French music to get to this point: :tviv:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyyfVciL7kY

Also, this below isn't industrial (it's gothic pop-rock), but try The Eden House. They're a UK act from some former Fields of the Nephilim guys who have a rotating cast of female vocalists. And they're spectacular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uJPbL6LwWk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLPST6_SsUE

This song is pretty fantastic too. And this. And this.

Also, Mexican/Tijuana hipster witch house!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvUjmDzS5G0

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 22, 2013

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Looking at these videos reminds me that industrial fashion is really embarrassing to look at :psyduck:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
It's taken to a real excess. I'm not quite sure why, other than that the subculture is much more focused on aesthetic themes than other genres. It's less overtly political than punk or hip-hop and much more about mood. Hence clothes are more important.

The cyber-fashion thing also seems antiquated in a world in which grandma now has a Facebook account. The wired, connected and neon-lit dystopian future that the style is supposed to represent really isn't the future anymore, right? It's the present. To illustrate it even more, this is an actual photograph:

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 22, 2013

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Well, that was a ton of recommendations.

Velcra (and that Turmion Kätilöt track) is pretty fantastic so far. I've never really gotten into Project Pitchfork - I'm not a huge fan of Spilles' singing/voice - but I'm really enjoying the Santa Hates You songs I've listened to. Unter Null and Emilie Autumn (I think I've heard some of her stuff before) also seem pretty good. Going to listen to some more of The Eden House, too, although that one video looks to me like three Andrew Eldritch impersonators and a pirate. I've heard Switchblade Symphony and Kidneythieves before but forgot they exist, so I'll have to give them another go. Prometheus Burning and Prosymna sound good, but not like something I would listen to often. Definitely something I could get lost in though.

I'm not sure why, but I've never acquired a taste for Ayria or Angelspit. Wikipedia also tells me that Angelspit has toured with Blood on the Dance Floor which I hope was a purely financial decision.

I guess "poppy" might have been the wrong word. Catchy? I don't really know. Either way, I've got a bunch of great new stuff to listen to, so thanks for all the suggestions. Here's a cool song by Essexx with Tom Shear doing some guest vocals. I have no idea where I originally heard it and don't know anything about Essexx I actually just learned that the Essexx singer is Sara Noxx, who has done a bunch of stuff.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

And One has to be one of the worst bands in the scene to google.

I remember trying to search "Download" in the late 90's...

tays revenge
Aug 29, 2009

Overbite posted:

Looking at these videos reminds me that industrial fashion is really embarrassing to look at :psyduck:

We can hope that all of them have sense of humor about it.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
THYX has a preview video out for their next album, Below The City.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aabLpoPhYZs

After hearing The Way Home, I'm stoked.

somethingwicked posted:

There's a snippet-teaser for THYX's upcoming album due out in May. I thought the first THYX album was brilliant, and I'm glad he's continuing to churn out music since the future of mind.in.a.box seems to be up in the air.
Whoops, I missed your post here. I need to start ctrl+f'ing the thread. I am glad that MIAB's sound is continuing in some form.

Phoenixan fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Feb 22, 2013

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
Are we allowed to talk about Combichrist? Because I'm going to talk about Combichrist.

I got their new album, No Redemption (the soundtrack for the new Devil May Cry game), and I really like it. To me it sounds almost metal in parts with much more screamy vocals and harsher sounds than their older work. I'm particularly impressed with it given their last album which I felt was pretty lacklustre. Hopefully they put out some more stuff like this and do another Australian tour soon.

Unrelated: I got the newish Endzeit Bunkertracks compilation recently and it's pretty amazing. It's been a few years since I was immersed in the EBM scene but listening to this compilation has really reignited my passion for the genre. If you order the version that comes with the download card you end up getting ~8 hours worth of music for ~€50 (I got a t-shirt with my order, too, not sure how much just the CDs cost).

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

cyberia posted:

Are we allowed to talk about Combichrist? Because I'm going to talk about Combichrist.

I got their new album, No Redemption (the soundtrack for the new Devil May Cry game), and I really like it. To me it sounds almost metal in parts with much more screamy vocals and harsher sounds than their older work. I'm particularly impressed with it given their last album which I felt was pretty lacklustre. Hopefully they put out some more stuff like this and do another Australian tour soon.

Has he finally released an album without at least one track making GBS threads on women?

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Pope Guilty posted:

Has he finally released an album without at least one track making GBS threads on women?

I haven't listened to the lyrics line-by-line yet but so far nothing has jumped out as super-sleazy. Given the storm of criticism surrounding DMC's portrayal of women I wouldn't be surprised if there's something objectionable lurking in amongst all the screaming.

tays revenge
Aug 29, 2009

No Redemption is such a drastic change from their old sound you could mistake it for a completely different artist and genre. They have always been hit or miss with me personally.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Armor-Piercing posted:

I'm not sure why, but I've never acquired a taste for Ayria or Angelspit. Wikipedia also tells me that Angelspit has toured with Blood on the Dance Floor which I hope was a purely financial decision.

I give you some nice recommendations and in return you give me the knowledge that this band exists? Not cool dude

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I'm convinced that touring with Blood on the Dance Floor was an hilarious troll.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

cyberia posted:

I got their new album, No Redemption (the soundtrack for the new Devil May Cry game)

Wait, Combichrist did the soundtrack to the new DMC game? What the gently caress?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Wait, Combichrist did the soundtrack to the new DMC game? What the gently caress?!

Yeah, they did. My buddy who absolutely HATES Combichrist said it was actually pretty good, so there's that.