Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
There's a couple jobbers from the barrio in flannel that ride low rider bicycles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008

towelieban posted:

The Daily Show did this special around the time of the 09 iranian elections asking Americans about Iran, and vice versa. Surprising at the amount, or lack there of, about even basic information on Iran. The guy at the end who actually go it was Iranian-American.
http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tue-june-23-2009/jason-jones--behind-the-veil---ayatollah-you-so

To be fair Times Square always seems to be full of dumb tourists (which is one of the reasons TV shows always do man-on-the-street interviews there, along with convenience,) and Tehran is where the most educated people in Iran live. But that's still sad and hilarious.

Edit: And I just watched the rest of the sketch where he goes out into rural Iran and they still know everything about America. drat.

Blastedhellscape fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 20, 2013

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

When you've become such an easy target for ridicule that the WWE starts scoring points off of you, your political movement is basically finished.

Of course, actual tea partiers aren't perceptive enough to grasp this, so they'll keep charging ahead in protecting their God-given right to ride manatees.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Breaking news. Jack swagger, the tea party wrestler was arrested last night for speeding, DUI and had some weed in Biloxi.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Is this thread about wrestling now?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

BiggerBoat posted:

Dittoheads, Great Americans, Fairness and Balance - Right Wing Media :patriot:

Seriously though, this is an audience that has always had more patriotism/national pride than sense.
I know I'm showing my age here, but I remember watching the audience chant, "USA! USA!" during a Yokozuna v. Lex Luger fight.

Both of them are American citizens.
I think they did the same thing in Wrestlemania X with Yokozuna v. Bret Hart. :canada:
It's also the last time I watched wrestling.

Irony abounds.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Mister Macys posted:

Irony abounds.

We've started getting USA chants during two foreign born non-citizen wrestlers.

And legit, wrestling has had a fascinating gaze into the mindset of the Red State American for awhile now.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Mister Macys posted:

Dittoheads, Great Americans, Fairness and Balance - Right Wing Media :patriot:

Seriously though, this is an audience that has always had more patriotism/national pride than sense.
I know I'm showing my age here, but I remember watching the audience chant, "USA! USA!" during a Yokozuna v. Lex Luger fight.

Both of them are American citizens.
I think they did the same thing in Wrestlemania X with Yokozuna v. Bret Hart. :canada:
It's also the last time I watched wrestling.

Irony abounds.

It's actually sort of an interesting derail in a way. There's a lot of crossover between the black and white mindset of the average dittohead and the average adolescent wrestling fan. Except in the 80's there was Ted Debiasi, The Million Dollar Man and he was a villain. Nowadays, they'd run him for President.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

BiggerBoat posted:

Except in the 80's there was Ted Debiasi, The Million Dollar Man and he was a villain. Nowadays, they'd run him for President.

Dusty Rhodes was practically the 99% 30 years early.

Speaking of which, during the Occupy movement there was an storyline where the entire WWE went on strike to protest poor management and unsafe working conditions and they were the bad guys.

"And they were the bad guys" is a great summary of how terrible some WWE stories are.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

BiggerBoat posted:

I'll drop the derail if you or a mod wants to but I stand behind the idea that pro wrestling is a form of right-wing media. :colbert:

BiggerBoat posted:

It's actually sort of an interesting derail in a way. There's a lot of crossover between the black and white mindset of the average dittohead and the average adolescent wrestling fan. Except in the 80's there was Ted Debiasi, The Million Dollar Man and he was a villain. Nowadays, they'd run him for President.

They sort of brought back the Million Dollar Man bad guy gimmick a while back. His name was John Layfield and he was from Texas and was a legitimately successful Wall Street investor. He even gave investment advice on CNN for a little while.

His gimmick wasn't just that he was rich though. His twist on the rich man gimmick was that he was supposed to represent the stereotypical white-collar boss of the average blue-collar wrestling fan. Reinforcing the idea that wrestling is topical, this character made its debut during the beginning of the most recent recession when TONS of blue-collar workers were laid off. He flaunted his money like Ted DiBiase, but that took a backseat to making sure everyone in the audience thought of their rear end in a top hat middle-management boss at their current or former workplace whenever he showed up. He called everyone in the audience lazy and shiftless and talked about bootstraps a lot. Needless to say he was hated like you would not believe.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Kiwi Bigtree posted:

Dusty Rhodes was practically the 99% 30 years early.

Speaking of which, during the Occupy movement there was an storyline where the entire WWE went on strike to protest poor management and unsafe working conditions and they were the bad guys.

"And they were the bad guys" is a great summary of how terrible some WWE stories are.

Ironically, both Richard Blumenthal and Chris Murphy ran attack ads against Linda McMahon during her two attempts to buy a Senate seat which cited the WWE's poor working conditions and lovely to nonexistent health coverage.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Ironically, both Richard Blumenthal and Chris Murphy ran attack ads against Linda McMahon during her two attempts to buy a Senate seat which cited the WWE's poor working conditions and lovely to nonexistent health coverage.

Now I'm picturing one of the WWE's "Don't Try This At Home" videos but instead of full-color footage of wrestlers doing high-risk moves cutting to black and white footage of them getting carried to the back after getting hurt, I see full-color footage of Linda McMahon campaigning and then cutting to black and white footage of her being all despondent after she lost.

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

The American Dream posted:

Breaking news. Jack swagger, the tea party wrestler was arrested last night for speeding, DUI and had some weed in Biloxi.

Personally I'm not going to hold crap like a DUI or pot against someone. That's just poo poo that happens, and has nothing to do with ideology one way or the other. Almost everyone drives over the limit at some point or another, and pot is something that shouldn't even be illegal. He drinks and smokes pot, the monster!

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Minorities posted:

I'll drop the derail if you or a mod wants to but I stand behind the idea that pro wrestling is a form of right-wing media. :colbert:

They sort of brought back the Million Dollar Man bad guy gimmick a while back. His name was John Layfield and he was from Texas and was a legitimately successful Wall Street investor. He even gave investment advice on CNN for a little while.

His gimmick wasn't just that he was rich though. His twist on the rich man gimmick was that he was supposed to represent the stereotypical white-collar boss of the average blue-collar wrestling fan. Reinforcing the idea that wrestling is topical, this character made its debut during the beginning of the most recent recession when TONS of blue-collar workers were laid off. He flaunted his money like Ted DiBiase, but that took a backseat to making sure everyone in the audience thought of their rear end in a top hat middle-management boss at their current or former workplace whenever he showed up. He called everyone in the audience lazy and shiftless and talked about bootstraps a lot. Needless to say he was hated like you would not believe.

Plus, to tie JBL into Swagger-talk he did a vignette where he went to the US-Mexico border, pair of binoculars in his hand, to try and catch illegal immigrants to get heat when he was feuding with the late Eddie Guerrero. Needless to say, this did not go over well.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Minorities posted:

Now I'm picturing one of the WWE's "Don't Try This At Home" videos but instead of full-color footage of wrestlers doing high-risk moves cutting to black and white footage of them getting carried to the back after getting hurt, I see full-color footage of Linda McMahon campaigning and then cutting to black and white footage of her being all despondent after she lost.

All I'm picturing is Micky Rourke pulling staples out of his back.

SilentD posted:

Personally I'm not going to hold crap like a DUI or pot against someone. That's just poo poo that happens, and has nothing to do with ideology one way or the other. Almost everyone drives over the limit at some point or another, and pot is something that shouldn't even be illegal. He drinks and smokes pot, the monster!

I hate it when I sort of agree with you, but you shouldn't trivialize DUI like that. Now, the real question is, how long before Alex Jones or someone like that claims Obama specifically targeted the dude?

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

BiggerBoat posted:

I hate it when I sort of agree with you, but you shouldn't trivialize DUI like that. Now, the real question is, how long before Alex Jones or someone like that claims Obama specifically targeted the dude?

I'm not really trivializing it. But a DUI and pot isn't relevant in one bit to someones capability as a politician, kinda how hookers and blow aren't either. Someone got drunk and did something stupid, oh loving well. Let the cops take his license for whatever time, make him pay a fine and do some community service, but that's about the extent of it. It's a fairly normal failing and screw up.

I don't really think pummeling people for a lapse in judgement while intoxicated is productive.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Keep in mind, Jack Swagger is a performer, not a politician. The whole 'it doesn't speak to his character' (driving under the influence kinda does...) works for guys voting on bills and all, but Jack's whole job is 'don't make the company look like assholes while you're powerbombing dudes', he hosed that job up by getting busted. I doubt anyone thinks he's some kind of bad person for this, but the dude's gonna wind up punished somehow, even if it just is in the form of no longer being on TV anymore (before the tea party angle he really wasn't before, so not like he's hard to just brush away).

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Shithead Ben Shaprio of Breibart.com gets tricked.

Breitbart Reporter Suckered into Believing in Joke Terrorist Group

Spawns amazing website http://friendsofhamas.com/

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Keep in mind, Jack Swagger is a performer, not a politician. The whole 'it doesn't speak to his character' (driving under the influence kinda does...) works for guys voting on bills and all, but Jack's whole job is 'don't make the company look like assholes while you're powerbombing dudes', he hosed that job up by getting busted. I doubt anyone thinks he's some kind of bad person for this, but the dude's gonna wind up punished somehow, even if it just is in the form of no longer being on TV anymore (before the tea party angle he really wasn't before, so not like he's hard to just brush away).

If this was the case virtually the entire NFL and NBA should be out of their jobs.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

SilentD posted:

If this was the case virtually the entire NFL and NBA should be out of their jobs.

Too bad for Jack that the WWE isn't unionized and so he has no real recourse if McMahon decides to fire him at will.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Crasscrab posted:

Apparently he is doubling down and claiming he totally wasn't tricked and he has numerous sources that its true he aided a fake organization.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ThirdPartyView posted:

Too bad for Jack that the WWE isn't unionized and so he has no real recourse if McMahon decides to fire him at will.

So will the Tea Party wrestler adopt childish anti-union positions as seen on TPC? Or will the McMahons ignore that element of the rhetoric, protecting it from derision? This is some gold perception management.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

SilentD posted:

I'm not really trivializing it. But a DUI and pot isn't relevant in one bit to someones capability as a politician, kinda how hookers and blow aren't either. Someone got drunk and did something stupid, oh loving well. Let the cops take his license for whatever time, make him pay a fine and do some community service, but that's about the extent of it. It's a fairly normal failing and screw up.

I don't really think pummeling people for a lapse in judgement while intoxicated is productive.

It wasn't alcohol he wasn't intoxicated with. They didn't specify what it was, but they made sure to point out "not alcohol".

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

THE GAYEST POSTER posted:

It wasn't alcohol he wasn't intoxicated with. They didn't specify what it was, but they made sure to point out "not alcohol".

In that case count me as giving even less of poo poo about it. If this was some "driving while stoned" or "driving while coked up" fiasco it's all the more nuts.

I see that there.
Aug 6, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I don't see what any of this has to do with right wing radio poo poo-headed-ness.
Can you get off wrestling and what place drunk driving has in societal failure?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Minorities posted:

It was a little funny because that is stuff he actually believes and he had to be the bad guy when he said it.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Crasscrab posted:

Oh god. Senate Republicans fell for and used the 'friends of Hamas' hoax* to smear Chuck Hagel.

Is anyone really surprised that very few people on the right do any sort of research whatsoever.

*It's only a hoax to the republicans - to everyone else it's very clearly a joke.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Feb 21, 2013

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

ThirdPartyView posted:

WWE is contractual work (if only so they can run gimmicks of IRON CLAD CONTRACTS) with a clear "DO NOT GET A DUI DO NOT DO ILLEGAL DRUGS" Clause. The big thing though was Swagger was just pushed to the moon (pushed means he is getting good scripting) and won a match for a title shot at Wrestlemania (Literally WWEs biggest ppv), with a Red Hot gimmick (this tea party heel stuff which was astounding.) and now the Right wing media which was freaking out will see him pretty much literally vanish. Because Vince Mcmahon had a massive freak out after Benoit killed his family and self via head injuries and steroids. I think the fallout will be glorious :allears:.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
The local St. Louis morning-shift right-wing propaganda minister went on a 5 minute rant this morning against Peter Turkson for claiming a link between homosexuality and the priest sex abuse scandal. It was really rather :unsmith:. Then he qualified it by saying teachers unions cover up just as much sex abuse.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Semi-related but I've long wondered where the breaking point in the awkward shotgun marriage between rock-ribbed true blue traditional protestant conservatism and new breed of evangelical jock-riding Catholics will come.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I know Christmas is 306 days away but I got your stocking stuffer right here!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

zoux posted:

Somehow Jesus will have a scene in the oval office

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Spacedad posted:

Oh god. Senate Republicans fell for and used the 'friends of Hamas' hoax* to smear Chuck Hagel.

Is anyone really surprised that very few people on the right do any sort of research whatsoever.

*It's only a hoax to the republicans - to everyone else it's very clearly a joke.

Rand Paul took it hook line and sinker. :allears: Rand Paul on Chuck Hagel & John Brennan nominations And Ted Cruz has been going all McCarthy on Hagel.

Ted "McCarthy" Cruz posted:

"It is, at a minimum, relevant to know if that $200,000 that he deposited in his bank account came directly from Saudi Arabia, came directly from North Korea. I have no evidence that it is or isn't."

Darkman Fanpage fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Feb 21, 2013

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

zoux posted:

Came here to post this. My post wouldn't have been as chuckle worthy as yours though. :golfclap:

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

GoutPatrol posted:

It was a little funny because that is stuff he actually believes and he had to be the bad guy when he said it.

That and how much does his personality overlap exactly with folks that were booing him?

Karpaw
Oct 29, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Crasscrab posted:

And Ted Cruz has been going all McCarthy on Hagel.

Funny you should say that.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

GoutPatrol posted:

The best and most successful bad guys in wrestling are the ones who live their gimmicks. I'm sure there's a real-life political analogy in there somewhere.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Crasscrab posted:

Wow. Nobody was even trying to trick them. They made a joke, and he's so loving stupid he simply didn't get it, got excited and ran a headline.

Holy. poo poo.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

I knew duffelblog would catch a Congressman at some point, but I didn't think it would catch the minority leader in the Senate. The DoD official should've responded asking the aide why Congress was having a retractable roof installed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...
I just noticed Hannity has been referring to himself as a "registered conservative."

What's that?

Is the Republican brand so toxic right now that he has to invent something new?