Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

TurnipFritter posted:

The Soul Hackers NA website is up. Like, fully up, with all the information from the Japanese website. All the characters and story info and stuff.

Holy poo poo one of the characters has a demon-summoning saxophone, day 1 buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

alcharagia posted:

Holy poo poo one of the characters has a demon-summoning saxophone, day 1 buy.

A saxaphone and a guitar that can summon demons. Sounds good to me. :allears:

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
They put up some character previews for the DS2 Anime

Main Character
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCwFJIQaJ7o
IO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E4mZJxNZC4
Daichi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uCfQ9glToc

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Those are some pretty generic voices for some generic characters. Though the MC sounds pretty decent. At least it looks like it's gonna be solidly animated.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

They're really channelling their inner Evangelion with some of those 'shots'...

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
I'm just impressed that english is pretty much grammatically correct.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

CottonWolf posted:

They're really channelling their inner Evangelion with some of those 'shots'...

Considering DS2 is basically Evangelion.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Is it a 12 episode run, or are they doing a full season?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Dehry posted:

They put up some character previews for the DS2 Anime

Main Character

This doesn't tell me anything about how silly the protagonist is; how useless. :colbert:

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Is it a 12 episode run, or are they doing a full season?

I have to assume it'll be 24 episodes, as it's almost as long as P4 (technically 12 episodes IS a full season in anime).

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Tae posted:

Not really, they share some aspects but so does every video game ever.

I'm just disappointed Daichi's vid didn't tease the truck :(

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Momomo posted:

Not really, they share some aspects but so does every video game ever.

I'm just disappointed Daichi's vid didn't tease the truck :(

Nah, they literally borrow exact scenarios and plot points from Evangelion. It's a lot less subtle than the usual ripoffs. Normally I'm in favor of "well, it's just archetypes..." but DS2 is shameless in its homages.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I'd have to see some examples then, because other than things like the bosses (ooh they're just like angels, they're also just like the bels...) I'm not seeing a huge amount of overlap.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Momomo posted:

I'd have to see some examples then, because other than things like the bosses (ooh they're just like angels, they're also just like the bels...) I'm not seeing a huge amount of overlap.

JPS is literally Nerv.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

TurnipFritter posted:

JPS is literally Nerv.

To be fair, 'secretive government agencies with an agenda or ten' aren't even remotely exclusive to Eva, let alone anime. I can think of a fair few off the top of my head.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Momomo posted:

The hero faction is incredibly NERV, the enemies repeatedly use identical gimmicks to several of the Angels, and The Anguished One couldn't be more Kaworu if he tried. There's a lot of other smaller things as well.

It's really the enemies who make it go excessive. When you've got "the giant flying one you have to down with a giant spear" and "the slow one with the massive laser" and "the one that splits in two and you have to destroy both parts at the same time" and end it with "the humanlike one who befriends the protagonist (and usually has to die)" it starts getting silly. They're all somewhat "standard" gimmicks but taken as a whole and it gets deja-vu.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Feb 19, 2013

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

The hero faction is incredibly NERV, the enemies repeatedly use identical gimmicks to several of the Angels, and The Anguished One couldn't be more Kaworu if he tried. There's a lot of other smaller things as well.

I don't really remember the Angel gimmicks all that much, but I don't remember any of them having the same ones as the bosses in DS2 (I have accepted that I will never be able to spell their real name). I just think having a similar design doesn't make it literally Eva, these things are all handled in a completely different way. NERV was never evil and there isn't a secret ending to Eva where Kaworu joins the group, for instance.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!

Momomo posted:

I don't really remember the Angel gimmicks all that much, but I don't remember any of them having the same ones as the bosses in DS2 (I have accepted that I will never be able to spell their real name). I just think having a similar design doesn't make it literally Eva, these things are all handled in a completely different way. NERV was never evil and there isn't a secret ending to Eva where Kaworu joins the group, for instance.

Uh, except the part where Kaworu's introduction in Eva revolved around him being a new pilot for NERV? And how (Eva and DS2 spoilers) Gendo Ikari used NERV to start instrumentality for his own personal gain? I think that destroying existence as we know it might count as evil. You even wind up fighting AO in DS2. The plot for both are almost identical in plenty of ways- ImpAtom summed up the Angels above. Lots of media share similarities, but when there are that many things in the same game, it definitely feels derivative.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Kaworu's introduction had that, but no matter what it ends with Shinji killing him, unlike Devil Survivor 2. Also, Gendo doing that isn't really the same as what JPS does. Gendo's just one dude, while JPS pretty much becomes Team rear end in a top hat with Yamato, Fumi and Keita (Featuring Makoto). I think it's more Gendo being a poo poo than the entire organization. I just don't think knowing the plot of one will tell you a whole lot about the other.

edit: Actually I'm not sure about that beginning part, silly me.

Momomo fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 19, 2013

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
More Eva. It's been a while since I saw the whole thing through, but I'm pretty sure all of SEELE, Gendo's advisor dudes, are all aboard the Instrumentality plan, so that's a decent sized group of evil at the head of NERV

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

DeathBySpoon posted:

More Eva. It's been a while since I saw the whole thing through, but I'm pretty sure all of SEELE, Gendo's advisor dudes, are all aboard the Instrumentality plan, so that's a decent sized group of evil at the head of NERV

In fact, SEELE and Gendo are actually working at cross-purposes at the end; both want Instrumentality to occur, but they both want it instigated different was for different reasons.

Also, why are we using spoiler tags for an anime that's almost twenty years old at this point? :v:

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Tae posted:

I know. I just thought they might at least try to hide that fact.

DeathBySpoon posted:

Further Eva chat: I thought that SEELE and Gendo had different intentions. SEELE just wanted to complete the prophecy and enact Instrumentality. Whereas Gendo has separate plans which involve him getting Yui back. I was never entirely clear on the how Gendo planned to do it though, apart from the fact it somehow used Rei.

Edit: Beaten to it.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The characters all sound good. Nice to see some of the others get little cameos (except for Fumi and Ronaldo, oddly enough).

Looking forward to the finished product. The trailer music is clear that Nakagawa is going to deliver something good, even if a good portion of the OST is going to sound like it came from a mariachi band.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Limited edition Shin Megami Tensei IV 3DS XL.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

TurnipFritter posted:

Shiiiittt, I just got a Fire Emblem 3DS, I can't justify getting another new system within a year or so. Hopefully we won't get it and I won't feel bad about having to pass on it. :(

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Artix posted:

Shiiiittt, I just got a Fire Emblem 3DS, I can't justify getting another new system within a year or so. Hopefully we won't get it and I won't feel bad about having to pass on it. :(

If you're North American, you're in luck because that system is white and black and those colors don't sell here. :v:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

TurnipFritter posted:

That looks loving fantastic and I hope it comes over so I can finally have a reason other than "bigger screen" to upgrade from an ambassador 3DS that's gotten a crack on the faceplate.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

TurnipFritter posted:

If the 3DS wasn't region locks I would import the hell out of this even though I bought an XL last month.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
It's doing nothing for me, but then again I'm not a fan of the new artist's demon designs.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

TurnipFritter posted:

I just bought an XL two weeks ago, but I will 100% buy this if it's brought over.

It won't be, though.

Proto Cloud
Feb 18, 2013

Maybe next year...

TurnipFritter posted:

Too bad we'll never see this stateside. :(

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
By the way, the reveal of the LE 3DS also reveals that the release date for SMT IV is May 23.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Chapter 3 of the DS2 manga is out.
We meet Yamato, Makoto (properly, that is) and are introduced to JPs. Not much else to say, except that Joe still hasn't shown up.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Are there any rumblings at all about a possible Devil Survivor 2 Overclocked possibly coming?

I loved the first Devil Survivor but haven't played 2 yet. I'm wondering if I should just bite the bullet and play the DS version of 2 or wait in hopes of a Overclocked version.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Norns posted:

Are there any rumblings at all about a possible Devil Survivor 2 Overclocked possibly coming?

I loved the first Devil Survivor but haven't played 2 yet. I'm wondering if I should just bite the bullet and play the DS version of 2 or wait in hopes of a Overclocked version.

There was some small announcement about a DS2 project that wasn't the anime a few months ago. I dunno if it was ever followed up, but signs seem point to an Overclocked.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Pureauthor posted:

By the way, the reveal of the LE 3DS also reveals that the release date for SMT IV is May 23.

So Dec 31st in NA :v:

Char
Jan 5, 2013
I read the last ~40 pages of the thread, saw no mentions, but I hope I am not reposting this

Persona Music Live 2012 Mayonaka TV in Tokyo International Forum Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGwVvhhQNbI

and

Persona Music Live 2012 Mayonaka TV in Tokyo International Forum Part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8hk5iZtsuM

Stuff like The Fog and I'll Face Myself :allears:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
New trailer for SMT IV and some footage:
http://nintendoeverything.com/113817/new-shin-megami-tensei-iv-trailer-footage/

Box art, with a subtle Chaos/Law theme.

New demon, but no idea what it is:

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Feb 21, 2013

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Is that a dress with party balloons built into the sleeves? loving brilliant!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Some sort of Paint themed demon?