Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

D90 is a perfect camera to start on. Get a 35/1.8 to go with it and shoot a million pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
A nonHP F3 is worth less than $200 unless the person buying it is an idiot. You will definitely make money by selling it just don't expect it to fully fund a decent DSLR.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Hooray, Apple updated their RAW compatibility to include the D5200 :dance:

I missed you Aperture

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

1st AD posted:

I don't know about you guys but once I'm past 85mm or so there's no way I could handhold without doing 1/2xfocal length for shutter speed (assuming no IS of course).

Meanwhile I can handhold down to like 1/4 at 16mm.

You might want to get checked out for epilepsy.

It takes some practice, but you can handhold at absurdly low speeds after a while (I think the longest I ever did that wasn't blurred was 28mm at three full loving seconds). Somewhere on the Pentax forum (I know, I know) there's a good guide written by a marksman about how to hold a camera steady.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
You can hand hold 5min long exposures with an X100.

Also whats with all the Capture NX hate. Sure its wonky compared to LR but it does a fine job with the NEF files. Yall hate NikSoft or something?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

:siren:HOLY poo poo I DID IT:siren:

Then I experimented with aperture:

f/11:

f/4:

I wish it was this sunny all the time :(. Thanks for the tips and patience dudes, it's really paid off!

edit: I may have those apertures switched; I don't remember now :saddowns:

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Feb 9, 2013

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

All of those photos look overexposed by 1-2 stops. You could easily have gone from eg. 1/100 to 1/200 shutter speed, get an easier exposure (less worry about shake) as well as not blowing everything out.
Although I'm amazed you blew out the snow shots. (I'm guessing that's what they are.) Light meters tend to underexpose in snowy landscapes.

junto a la luna
Nov 11, 2009

I really like this photo. I think the lack of contrast on the bottom half works well.

I bought a D3200 today, which is pretty exciting. Its such a huge improvement over my E500. It also came with a free case and extra battery and stuff, which was nice. The only thing I am not particularly impressed with is the proprietary USB port.

Does anyone know what this bit of plastic if for? It was in the outer box, but I can't work out where it goes. It looks like something clips into it.

junto a la luna fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Feb 9, 2013

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

junto a la luna posted:

Does anyone know what this bit of plastic if for? It was in the outer box, but I can't work out where it goes. It looks like something clips into it.

That is a cap for the viewfinder so that stray light won't affect the meter should you be silly enough to use auto on long exposures. It is basically completely useless except in very specific circumstances.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Yeah I can't wait to hunt around for that thing if I ever want to sell my D3100 :pwn:

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Eegah posted:

Yeah I can't wait to hunt around for that thing if I ever want to sell my D3100 :pwn:

I think that with that, much like the hotshoe cover, pretty much everyone expects that you lost it within moments of having the camera.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

SoundMonkey posted:

I think that with that, much like the hotshoe cover, pretty much everyone expects that you lost it within moments of having the camera.

Oh, you manage to keep it if you never buy a flash :smug:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Shampoo posted:

Oh, you manage to keep it if you never buy a flash :smug:

Mine was missing for months before I bought a flash.

Stop babying your camera.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Honestly I'm pretty surprised that Nikon would bother to throw in a viewfinder cover with a d3200.

Not that it isn't a great camera, just seems kind of meticulous for an entry level body.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It's like a 3c part, and Canon includes one. Can't let'em one up you like that.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

It's like a 3c part, and Canon includes one. Can't let'em one up you like that.

But it'd be $20 as a first party accessory.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Beastruction posted:

Six bucks, actually :v:

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Beastruction posted:

Local Camera shop hands out replacements like candy becuase they have 89027369874654 of them in a shoebox.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005
So there's actually a lower limit for photography dollars?

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
There are plenty of cheap things to be bought in our hobby. :snoop:

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

I just bought a Canon EOS-3 film camera for myself and would like to buy my brother a Nikon equivalent for his birthday. What am I looking for and at roughly what price?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

F80?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

The eos-3 seems go go for around 1-200 bucks from a quick look, so for an equal price that'd probably get you an f100 or an f4s body. If he doesn't need all the bells and whistles you could find something like an N75/F75 for much cheaper and still have a quality camera.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

geeves posted:

I just bought a Canon EOS-3 film camera for myself and would like to buy my brother a Nikon equivalent for his birthday. What am I looking for and at roughly what price?

F100 or F80, with F100 having better support for manual focus lenses. Expect a price around that of a new middle tier compact digital.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I have an F3 body sitting here that I'd love to get rid of if you're interested :swoon:

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -