Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That seems to be a Napaea. She's saying something like "what's more important than being alive for you?", which I think means we can talk to demons, as usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Pollyanna posted:

That seems to be a Napaea. She's saying something like "what's more important than being alive for you?", which I think means we can talk to demons, as usual.

Yeah the footage shows demons talking.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Well yes, we all expected that dumb, time-wasting mechanic back in.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I think it'd be weirder if we couldn't talk to demons.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Dragonatrix posted:

I think it'd be weirder if we couldn't talk to demons.

If we couldn't it pretty much wouldn't be a SMT game. Seriously, at this point that's about the only thing that's remained constant throughout the series.

(No, the myriad spinoffs don't count, even if Atlus USA does slap the SMT name on them for their NA distribution)

ed: Well, that and demon fusion.

Genpei Turtle fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 21, 2013

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Hopefully it ends up being less RNG dependent than Strange Journey.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Demon talk is like the Pokeball moving in Pokemon to me, it's just not SMT without it :colbert:

Plus it's fun.

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Pureauthor posted:

Well yes, we all expected that dumb, time-wasting mechanic back in.

You're that gamespot reviewer aren't you.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Ugg, demon negotation, the worst mechanic in these games.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

:rolleyes:
I'd be fine with demon negotiation if demons had consistent preferences based upon their type and alignment. gently caress the RNG choices that make demon negotiation in the past games BS.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

kthegreat posted:

I'd be fine with demon negotiation if demons had consistent preferences based upon their type and alignment. gently caress the RNG choices that make demon negotiation in the past games BS.

I'm pretty sure Persona 1 and 2 had persistent preferences.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Kurtofan posted:

Demon talk is like the Pokeball moving in Pokemon to me, it's just not SMT without it :colbert:

Plus it's fun.

I don't know man. Cutting out stupid randomly right/wrong conversations would just be a net positive the franchise. You'd lose a convoluted and arbitrary dialogue system, you'd lose all the stupid lines from the demons like 'What is best in life: A) BLOOD AND GORE MURDERMURDERMURDER! B) Life is like...it's own thing man. C) THE WILL OF YHVH FREE THINKING SUCKS AMIRITE!'

Basically an SMT game without the demon conversations would be the best SMT. Basically they just need to make Digital Devil Sage and add in demon party members and fusion.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

:rolleyes:

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Basically an SMT game without the demon conversations would be the best SMT. Basically they just need to make Digital Devil Sage and add in demon party members and fusion.
I would love a spiritual sequel to DDS1&2. Specifically the turning into demons, cannibalism, and the mantra system of gaining skills.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I agree that negotiation needs to be more consistent but I don't think it needs to be removed completely. It'd be loving dumb if you could flat out just recruit a demon with no strings attached or whatever.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
I like the negotiation mechanic for the most part. Except for early-game SMT I/II. Stop asking for magnetite, you bastards, I need that to not die.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

No, I'd really hate that. I'm fine for making it less random but half the fun of SMT is that talking is an option. I like being able to talk to the demons and negotiate with them or get items or whatever. I'd prefer if the system was improved but I'd hate it even more if it was removed.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

Dorroile posted:

I distinctly remember that they didn't; sometimes you would say a thing and they'd be happy about it, sometimes they'd be sad. For Persona 2 that is (haven't played P1 so I can't say anything about that).

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Cityinthesea posted:

I distinctly remember that they didn't; sometimes you would say a thing and they'd be happy about it, sometimes they'd be sad. For Persona 2 that is (haven't played P1 so I can't say anything about that).

They had preferences and options that would work 9 times out of 10, but sometimes they would just flip out and react differently to keep it from being a 100% sure thing.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dorroile posted:

They didn't.

That's the main thing with the system, it was never persistent, one answer wouldn't satisfy the same demon 100% of the time, on top of that they would take a bunch of poo poo from you and just leave at their leisure.

You know what game did it right? Devil Summoner 2, in that one the demon would leave but occasionally you'd bump into them again and they would join with no fuss.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

It could stand to be less "Gimme item!" but going by that trailer it doesn't like that'll happen.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Personally I like to compare the Demon Negotiation mechanic to another enduring SMT mechanic, Skill Inheritance. When Devil Survivor/Persona 4 Golden switched over to letting you actually choose which skills you could transfer over during demon fusions, only a slim minority of people cried out against it, because all they did was take a pre-existing gameplay element and cut out a layer of tedious bullshit. I see no reason why they can't do the same thing with negotiations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

There's a big difference between wanting to outright remove something that gives the game more flavor (although is hampered by RNG bullshit) and something like that.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Demon Conversations only add so much flavor after a while though. Say what you will about demon indivuality or whatever stuff people say, but when it hampers actual gameplay and makes the game more tedious, it becomes a problem.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

What are some alternatives you would be interested in.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Cleretic posted:

Oh come on, that's just silly.

This is going back a little but the Devil Summoner Diana design is actually a reference to Artemis of Ephesus. You can read about her temple here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_of_Artemis.

She was co-opted from an earlier fertility goddess that had the "tons of breasts" design so Kaneko's version is really not that far off the mark.

https://www.google.com/search?q=god...iw=1760&bih=950 I GUESS this could be :nws:

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

What are some alternatives you would be interested in.

Honestly I don't think there are any reasonable alternatives. If demon negotiation is made too easy/predictable so that there's no chance of failure it wrecks the game balance. On the other hand it can be really tedious if done improperly. (I'm looking at you Nocturne)

Devil Summoner/Soul Hackers really did it best, and I don't know why they turned away from that formula. For those that aren't familiar with the system, it operated like Strange Journey's with the following exceptions: 1) There were more varied choices in conversation that didn't invariably lead to broken-off negotiations if you got things wrong 2) The greater your MC's Intelligence relative to the demon you're talking to, the better the chance of negotiations going well even if you screwed up occasionally and 3) in the "bribe" me phase, when it came up often you're given the decision of exactly what you want to give. So if you really, really want that demon in your party RIGHT NOW you can offer it a bribe far more than it's worth and be drat-near guaranteed to get it, or be more conservative and hope a lesser gift does the trick. (Sometimes even a gift of a single bullet will make demons overjoyed, you never know)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Saigyouji posted:

I like the negotiation mechanic for the most part. Except for early-game SMT I/II. Stop asking for magnetite, you bastards, I need that to not die.

Let me take your life force! Okay here's a Life Stone, see you later :v:

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Huh, i thought P1/2 really did have set responses. I know they had different responses for full moons or whatever, is that what you guys were thinking about?

Maybe i'm wrong though. Maaaaybe i should play through P1 again.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ImpAtom posted:

No, I'd really hate that. I'm fine for making it less random but half the fun of SMT is that talking is an option. I like being able to talk to the demons and negotiate with them or get items or whatever. I'd prefer if the system was improved but I'd hate it even more if it was removed.

I'm not saying take away talking to demons, just loving remove the current system. Make something that isn't completely loving stupid like it is now. Hell even P1 and P2 have better conversation systems, though P2's was needlessly complex but at least they had the sense to be consistent.

Seriously, loving up one choice after getting 1 or 2 right and then losing a turn/the demon fleeing was one of the most annoying things in SJ. Hell, I'd be fine with down right antagonistic level design if the main mechanic for getting new abilities/party members wasn't just arbitrarily broken. IIRC there were even some choices I got that had no right choice.

Basically, Demon Negotiations: Super Neat Idea! It's current incarnation is just bad.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Feb 21, 2013

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Demon convos were incredibly easy in Strange Journey. The races had a usual set of responses, if you failed they were easy to try again, and if you were full up, they could join you later. It was miles easier than Nocturne, which required either luck or the lategame skills to recruit efficiently.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

El Belmondo posted:

Demon convos were incredibly easy in Strange Journey. The races had a usual set of responses, if you failed they were easy to try again, and if you were full up, they could join you later. It was miles easier than Nocturne, which required either luck or the lategame skills to recruit efficiently.

You could get a lot of those skills really early on. You can get the Brainwash skill as early as level 15.

I finished a replay of Nocturne about a month or so ago, and I never had any trouble with Demon Negotiation due to how effective some of the skills are.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
I'm still playing Nocturne for the first time, having just now beaten White Rider (these Candelabrum bosses almost invariably have the same theme of 'really hard until you realize how they fight', I beat White Rider by going in with the fire-draining Magatama with an expel-immune Feng Huang flanking me, he couldn't do a thing).

After this, I'm very, VERY happy with Strange Journey's system. In Nocturne it's basically just 'throw your entire inventory at them, hope you get lucky'. Strange Journey might not be entirely consistent, but neither is Nocturne, since you could give a demon everything they want and they'd still bitch out and leave. At least with Strange Journey I felt like I was actually in power over my negotiation.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Nope, they can definitely screw you in SJ and gently caress off after taking half of your life and two lifestones.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It was a bit easier to stomach in SJ since you could make a demonica thing that would smooth over one mistake, plus they had less questions, I always always succeed with that thing on.

Worldwide Panther
Jul 20, 2010

Go see the stars!

Iceclaw posted:

Nope, they can definitely screw you in SJ and gently caress off after taking half of your life and two lifestones.

I liked the demon negotiation system in SJ because it meant you couldn't just walk through every battle by choosing the right options time after time.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Alteisen posted:

It was a bit easier to stomach in SJ since you could make a demonica thing that would smooth over one mistake, plus they had less questions, I always always succeed with that thing on.

Also, the question round comes before the 'give me poo poo' round in Strange Journey. So if you pick the wrong dialog choice and they gently caress off, you at least didn't give them three Life Stones and a thousand Macca yet.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Dorroile posted:

Huh, i thought P1/2 really did have set responses. I know they had different responses for full moons or whatever, is that what you guys were thinking about?

You and maybe some other people are getting mixed up, because negotiation worked kinda differently in the old Persona titles. You initiated negotiation and proceeded through the bulk of it with character-specific interactions like telling jokes, flattering the demon, etc. The way they responded to those behaviors was mostly fixed; i.e. Michelle playing a song might always interest Jack Frost. But the monsters would randomly insert questions and requests more like those of the other SMT games as well, and those things were random both in how frequently they occurred and what emotions the responses evoked. If you were lucky, a given monster would never even ask a question. If you were unlucky, you'd get a question with three answers (two of which were wrong and anger-producing) after every single player action.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I found that demon negotiation was only important early on, and that I used the compendium for everything else.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I sort of wish they'd make Negotiation more into "mini-combat" instead. Give your character social skills or something they can learn and have negotiation focus on finding and 'attacking' enemy weak points. It'd keep the talking aspect but make it more interesting. (And allow you to specialize in talking your way out of fights if you wanted.)

Sorta like investing the hell out of charm in a Bioware game but less Select To Win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

I sort of wish they'd make Negotiation more into "mini-combat" instead. Give your character social skills or something they can learn and have negotiation focus on finding and 'attacking' enemy weak points. It'd keep the talking aspect but make it more interesting. (And allow you to specialize in talking your way out of fights if you wanted.)

It's really easy to see a good base for this in the Persona 1/2 stuff actually, where each character had separate character-specific means of negotiation that could easily have been turned into things you improve with use. You could even tie advancement in it into time management systems, where going to band practice or dating a girl who works at the record store makes you better at playing air guitar for demons or something!

I feel this was sort of an underdeveloped part of P3/4; you had these stats like Courage and Academics, but you always started with poo poo ranks in all of them and typically tried and were able to master them by the end. It'd be interesting to make them more elective, or allow you to start with a specific personal strength in social skills or academic knowledge or something.