Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

I find pestering for consent you can't withdraw anymore to be a problem and an insult to the people who buy your product. You're free to think otherwise.

vvv same for me, except I already didn't buy any Ubisoft games anymore, I found out via my friend who owns the game :v: vvv

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Feb 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Katana Gomai posted:

I find pestering for consent you can't withdraw anymore to be a problem and an insult to the people who buy your product. You're free to think otherwise.

Oh I think it's a pain too, and when I realized there's no way to turn it off the solution became to not buy any Ubisoft game new again until I know for sure whether or not it has this feature.

CountingCrows
Apr 17, 2001
MH3U demo is on the NA Store now, is it the same game as MH3? I've never played a MH game before. Are the graphics updated for the WIIU or what?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
There's still a difference between system level privacy settings and protection (what I was talking about) and game level privacy preferences (what you're talking about).

This would be a different story if you could not turn off data sharing across the entire console once you turned the Miiverse on, but so far as I know, that isn't the case.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

CountingCrows posted:

MH3U demo is on the NA Store now, is it the same game as MH3? I've never played a MH game before. Are the graphics updated for the WIIU or what?

This is excellent. I've been insanely curious about this game since its always mentioned in the same breath as Dark Souls. Can't wait to try it out.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

CountingCrows posted:

Are you asking is it the same game as Tri? It's got a significant amount more content than Tri as far as missions and weapons are concerned. Also the game is now in HD and runs at 60fps :fap:

CountingCrows
Apr 17, 2001

katkillad2 posted:

Are you asking is it the same game as Tri? It's got a significant amount more content than Tri as far as missions and weapons are concerned. Also the game is now in HD and runs at 60fps :fap:

Yeah, that's what I was asking. Looking forward to trying it out to see what all the hype is about.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

CountingCrows posted:

Yeah, that's what I was asking. Looking forward to trying it out to see what all the hype is about.

Be warned that there is nothing in the demo that tells you the controls or how to play, which is incredibly stupid for attracting new players

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Bland posted:

Be warned that there is nothing in the demo that tells you the controls or how to play, which is incredibly stupid for attracting new players

The real Monster Hunter starts here.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
The PS4 event at Hammerstein basically convinced me I'm buying a Wii U.

Am I the only retard who demands backwards compatibility?

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Are demoes under the same rules as normal games? I mean, for European players, do you have to wait until night time to get a demo, or can you download it at all times?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Red posted:

I'd blame the PS3. Emulating it's very, very odd hardware on anything but very similar hardware has got to be a huge pain.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

theflyingorc posted:

I'd blame the PS3. Emulating it's very, very odd hardware on anything but very similar hardware has got to be a huge pain.

I don't even have a PS3. I didn't buy one of those, either, once they did away with backwards compatibility with PS2. I have a stack of PS1 and PS2 games, and I'd love for a new system to come along that allows me to put the PS2 into storage, and let me play them while enjoying brand new titles. But Sony would rather adopt the 'buy games again online' business model.

So, instead, I'll buy the system that lets me play Wii games, and put the Wii in the bedroom, where I can still play Gamecube games if I want to, and I can still use Netflix in bed.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Rename the thread to "Monster Hunter Demo Is Out, i.e. First Thing That's Happened Since November"

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Red posted:

Demanding backwards compatibility is kinda dumb, in my opinion.

If you want to play older games, keep the older systems. I find it hard to believe companies should be held accountable for always allowing their future consoles to play every game they've ever released. It's unrealistic on home consoles from a component/price standpoint. The PC and iOS devices have kind of spoiled people for modern BC, but you didn't even see this kind of indignation over the lack of BC before the PS2 played 99% of PSX games. Before then, BC didn't really exist on home consoles-- no one was bummed when their SNES didn't play NES games.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Feb 21, 2013

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Soul Glo posted:

If you want to play order games, keep the older systems. I find it hard to believe companies should be held accountable for always allowing their future consoles to play every game they've ever released. It's unrealistic on home consoles from a component/price standpoint. The PC and iOS devices have kind of spoiled people for modern BC, but you didn't even see this kind of indignation over the lack of BC before the PS2 played 99% of PSX games. Before then, BC didn't really exist on home consoles-- no one was bummed when their SNES didn't play NES games.

Yeah, but we live in a market where the manufacturer could just find new and different ways to force consumers to re-purchase the same content over and over. Originally, Blu-Ray players weren't going to play your old DVDs - and people went apeshit. So Samsung, Sony, and whoever else realized that to get consumer buy-in, they'd have to make some concessions. Now, your Blu-Ray players can use your old movies, and make them look better. In fact, it's possible that people might start seeing the differences between their old DVDs and new Blu-Rays, and decide to upgrade on their own.

Technology moves fast enough, and new products and means by which to consume them changes so often - I think it's certainly worth considering the consumer's stake in all this. They were willing to support you, why not back up their purchase if you can?

Sony's decided that their hardware would become too complicated and/or costly if it were to support the content I've owned for the past decade, and that's fine - but I'm taking my business elsewhere. Wii provides the product closest to my wants and needs.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Soul Glo posted:

If you want to play order games, keep the older systems. I find it hard to believe companies should be held accountable for always allowing their future consoles to play every game they've ever released. It's unrealistic on home consoles from a component/price standpoint. The PC and iOS devices have kind of spoiled people for modern BC, but you didn't even see this kind of indignation over the lack of BC before the PS2 played 99% of PSX games. Before then, BC didn't really exist on home consoles-- no one was bummed when their SNES didn't play NES games.

Until that system breaks.

In the modern world of software and gaming, these companies could be focusing on emulation solutions throughout their design phases. They could create emulators that people could purchase that would come equipped with a feature that either unlock or creates an image file of their game by popping in the original disk. There are also a plethora of other digital solutions.

The real sticking point is that it can happen and there are ways to monetize it considering the demand. I don't know why none of them have really tried to take the lead and be the innovator of such things.

Xavier434 fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Feb 21, 2013

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS

Xavier434 posted:

Until that system breaks.

In the modern world of software and gaming, these companies could be focusing more emulation solutions throughout their design phases. They could create emulators that people could purchase that would come equipped with a feature that either unlock or creates an image file of their game by popping in the original disk. There are also a plethora of other digital solutions.

The real sticking point is that it can happen and there are ways to monetize it considering the demand. I don't know why none of them have really tried to take the lead and be the innovator of such things.

Because teams of people dedicated to figuring this kind of thing out decided that there isn't enough, if any, profit in catering to the specific needs of a relative handful of nostalgic gamers.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Xavier434 posted:

In the modern world of software and gaming, these companies could be focusing more emulation solutions throughout their design phases. They could create emulators that people could purchase that would come equipped with a feature that either unlock or creates an image file of their game by popping in the original disk. There are also a plethora of other digital solutions.

This is completely pie-in-the-sky. Do you have any idea how difficult emulation on that level is?

There's a reason a Wii U basically just contains an entire Wii in hardware inside the case, and that's for a system that's been quite successfully emulated on high-end PCs.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Sony is monetizing emulation, though. That's why they bought Gaikai. We're not talking about BC-through-emulation-- that's already happening. The Wii did it through VC, too.

It seems a bit entitled to say "I bought this thing,and it has to be supported for free and last forever, or it's a ripoff." Digital services get support dropped all the time, why not games? As for systems breaking, yeah, that happens. It's a fact of life that everything has an expiration date and seems like a silly thing to get huffy about.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Let's drop the Sony/Nintendo comparisons please. It's starting to get into console warrior territory and doesn't have any place in the thread.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

toxicsunset posted:

Because teams of people dedicated to figuring this kind of thing out decided that there isn't enough, if any, profit in catering to the specific needs of a relative handful of nostalgic gamers.

I think it has more to do with that they believe there is more profit to reselling the same game over and over rather than a lack of demand, but without the hard numbers it is anyone's guess I suppose. Emulators are very popular when widely known about and accessible though.

thefncrow posted:

This is completely pie-in-the-sky. Do you have any idea how difficult emulation on that level is?

There's a reason a Wii U basically just contains an entire Wii in hardware inside the case, and that's for a system that's been quite successfully emulated on high-end PCs.

I was under the impression that the Wii's software was present inside the Wii U more so than the Wii's hardware. Is this not the case? Anyways, I know it takes effort but the challenge involved probably has a lot to do with the fact that these companies don't plan ahead for emulation/BC much. If they did, I do wonder if it would be a lot easier.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

toxicsunset posted:

There will be a point in time where all those games will be lost in time, like back when people didn't care about film preservation, because all the hardware is gone and nobody will want to re-create it. And then we will all rely on emulators that are passable at best but still can't run games the way its supposed to due to all the weird things developers had to do to run on old, often times confusingly constructed hardware (the Saturn is already at that point; any games ported to newer platforms are based on their respective PC ports, and the rest are limited to whatever is on the used games market).

You have people that claim that "games are art" or whatever and yet gaming enthusiast don't give a poo poo about software preservation in the same way movie buffs care about film preservation. It's a drat shame.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 21, 2013

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

thefncrow posted:

Seriously, people need to understand just how weird the PS3 architecture is. There's no way it will be possible to emulate any time in the near future let alone on the PS4.

Going from the Cell to an x86 processor is an absolutely massive improvement for devs, Sony themselves, their customers, and PC gamers in the long term, and that's worth sacrificing traditional BC for. I know this doesn't help people for whom BC is a big factor, but it's just a reality. Wait until there's a bunch of PS4 games you want and buy one, there's no need to rush into it.

Nintendo, on the other hand, has the advantage of very similar architecture and cheaper hardware to include in successors for their last 3 consoles, making BC a lot easier.

e: Sorry Louisgod, didn't see your post while writing this. Dropping the subject.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

MH Demo trip report:

1. Absolutely awful framerate
2. Does not teach you about the controls or anything, just throws you at a boss and gives you 20 minutes to kill it.
3. When you complete it, it goes "Thanks for playing!" and restarts. Does not advertise the actual content of the game or anything.

This is a loving terrible demo, #1 is especially bad.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Bobnumerotres posted:

MH Demo trip report:

2. Does not teach you about the controls or anything, just throws you at a boss and gives you 20 minutes to kill it.
3. When you complete it, it goes "Thanks for playing!" and restarts. Does not advertise the actual content of the game or anything.

Awful framerate? What? I had zero trouble whatsoever with the framerate. Was this all the time for you or did something cause it?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Soul Glo posted:

If you want to play older games, keep the older systems. I find it hard to believe companies should be held accountable for always allowing their future consoles to play every game they've ever released. It's unrealistic on home consoles from a component/price standpoint. The PC and iOS devices have kind of spoiled people for modern BC, but you didn't even see this kind of indignation over the lack of BC before the PS2 played 99% of PSX games. Before then, BC didn't really exist on home consoles-- no one was bummed when their SNES didn't play NES games.

Some people actually were, back then the 5200 played 2600 games (as did the Colecovision if you brought the converter) so less plugged in consumers had expected the Super NES to just be an upgraded NES (oh hey, sound familiar?) Anyways, thats a more than fair explanation for why there's no disc based backwards compatibility for the PS3 but there's still no acceptable reason for the lack of bc for downloaded Wiiware/VC titles on WiiU.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Bobnumerotres posted:

MH Demo trip report:

Is it a really old build or something? Someone said that the game is supposed to run at 60fps. Also it is so Capcom to release a horrible demo for their most anticipated game. The newbie unfriendliness especially seems completely retarded, since demos are supposed to convince new people to buy your game.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I wasn't going to bother with the MH demo since I am getting it regardless, but reports of framerate issues are enough for me to bite. I hope your experience is isolated within reason.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Lagombi (giant bunny) is also not..ideal for new players. His attack patterns are pretty erratic (and loving annoying) compared to something like a Qurupeco, he's also able to freeze you and do other annoying poo poo. I can't imagine anyone new to the series enjoying this at all, on top of the lack of control explanation.

quote:

Awful framerate? What? I had zero trouble whatsoever with the framerate. Was this all the time for you or did something cause it?
The second I load the icy place the framerate is like 20FPS. It dips even further during the actual fight.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

Lagombi (giant bunny) is also not..ideal for new players. His attack patterns are pretty erratic (and loving annoying) compared to something like a Qurupeco, he's also able to freeze you and do other annoying poo poo. I can't imagine anyone new to the series enjoying this at all, on top of the lack of control explanation.

The second I load the icy place the framerate is like 20FPS. It dips even further during the actual fight.

That's bizarre. It was solid for me throughout. I'm gonna load it up again and have another look.

Edit: Just ran through the Lagombi fight again and the framerate is perfectly fine for me at least

Bland fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 21, 2013

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I'm not noticing any framerate issues.

I agree the lack of tutorial about controls is kind of dumb, as it will probably scare some people away. After the first fight I did I was already comfortable with the controls though. Some things don't make a whole lot of sense unless you know the controls like you see "L" over your potion and you'd probably assume you would hit L to use it, but that's not the case.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Soul Glo posted:

It seems a bit entitled to say "I bought this thing,and it has to be supported for free and last forever, or it's a ripoff." Digital services get support dropped all the time, why not games? As for systems breaking, yeah, that happens. It's a fact of life that everything has an expiration date and seems like a silly thing to get huffy about.

What?

The Wii U will play my Wii games. They're getting my business for many reasons, including that. Nintendo does an excellent job of connecting their hardware from generation to generation. It's why I have a Gameboy, a Gameboy Advance, and a DS. It makes upgrading and buying a new console much more seamless.

Cripes. Take it easy coming down off of that high horse.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Red posted:

What?

The Wii U will play my Wii games. They're getting my business for many reasons, including that. Nintendo does an excellent job of connecting their hardware from generation to generation. It's why I have a Gameboy, a Gameboy Advance, and a DS. It makes upgrading and buying a new console much more seamless.

Cripes. Take it easy coming down off of that high horse.

What high horse? Backwards compatibility is a nice bonus, but it's awfully whiney (and almost more to the point-- completely unrealistic) to demand it in every subsequent console.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

katkillad2 posted:

I'm not noticing any framerate issues.

60 FPS throughout? Mine can't be any higher than 25. Have no issues with my other games.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

60 FPS throughout? Mine can't be any higher than 25. Have no issues with my other games.

Not 60 FPS no but not low enough to be problematic, not that I can tell exactly how many frames I'm seeing a second. There is this though http://nintendoeverything.com/109058/monster-hunter-3-ultimate-wii-u-runs-at-38-fps-on-average/

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Oh Capcom, you idiots.

After playing Dragon's Dogma and really enjoying it last summer I was super eager to try Monster Hunter 3 and see if I'd be making the jump over. Well, this demo sure as hell didn't sell me on the game.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Bobnumerotres posted:

It's definitely not 60. Reading around other forums it seems like it's 30, and not locked at 30 either.

How hard can it be to get an upgraded Wii game running at a decent framerate?

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Crowbear posted:

It's definitely not 60. Reading around other forums it seems like it's 30, and not locked at 30 either.

How hard can it be to get an upgraded Wii game running at a decent framerate?

From what I've seen reading around the 3DS version does hit 60FPS. Got to wonder what the priorities are at Capcom sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Bobnumerotres posted:

I'm pretty sure 30FPS was the target from the start. In fact, in a prior version of this thread I expressed disappointment that it wasn't at 60FPS and someone pointed out that since the Wii version targeted 30 out of necessity, all the animations would have to be redone to increase the frame rate.

• Locked thread