Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tibeerius
Feb 22, 2007

YggiDee posted:

I finally dug up my Dragon Quest ix cart after having thought I lost it... Is the DQVC still available? I want to grab the DLC characters but I'm having trouble finding any viable Wifi around here.
I don't see why DQVC wouldn't work anymore. I'm pretty sure the weekly themes are hard-coded into the game, with them looping back around after a year. The WiFi connection was just to verify the real-world date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
But if they shut down the servers, then I can't download the quests or the characters.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

YggiDee posted:

But if they shut down the servers, then I can't download the quests or the characters.

If I remember rightly enough if you link with someone with the quests and characters, you get thier stuff.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I don't know anyone else who owns this game. The DS scene where I am is nearly non-existant; the Dragon Quest scene even more so.

Blind the Thief
Oct 9, 2012

But I wonder how the ghost fit inside a bottle?

Mister Roboto posted:

Gonna have some tough times with the early battles, for sure, but it'll be a fun slog.

I've seen that cartridge glitch before...a buddy of mine and I went to the comp sci lab and opened it up and it's actually fixable. I'm not the expert but it's something to do with how a specific power strip is really flimsy but can be stretched to get the game going again for a while.

Interesting. I'll have to open her up and take a look whenever I gain the resolve. I'm pleased to hear that it may be repairable.

About my DQIII party: The cleric and jester are of course going to become sages, because it just isn't a good old-fashioned run of the game if you don't end up with some sages. Should I class change the thief at all or just leave her to do her thing?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Blind the Thief posted:

Interesting. I'll have to open her up and take a look whenever I gain the resolve. I'm pleased to hear that it may be repairable.

About my DQIII party: The cleric and jester are of course going to become sages, because it just isn't a good old-fashioned run of the game if you don't end up with some sages. Should I class change the thief at all or just leave her to do her thing?

I don't want to give you false hope about the cartridge...I think my buddy got lucky and just soldered something convenient. If the little internal battery's going, it's gonna go eventually.

As for the DQ3 thing, hey, it's your game, haha, just that early battles will obviously be all physical and that will be hard until the thief learns useful skills.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

YggiDee posted:

The servers were up when I tried a week ago.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Got this sexy little thang at PAX last weekend. My first time playing through it. Just beat Kandar and am on my way to the sleeping village. Probably gonna slow my progress down a bit when I get Pokemon Black 2 tomorrow, but I wanna actually finish it. I'm so bad at finishing RPGs. Still working on Dragon Quest V which I started ages ago.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
That is hands down my favorite Dragon Quest game and probably one of my favorite RPGs ever, even with all the grinding and what not.

quote:

If we're talking end-game strategies here, you want to class-change into a Thief due to their high speed. Best thing to do is to take your Thief into the Sage class somehow, learn all the required magic, and then class change back into a Thief for high speed. As far as I know, Intelligence only affects MP and how fast you learn spells, so your Thief will be doing just as much damage with magic as your Sage. You just need to find a good personality to give adequate MP And Speed gains, like maybe Sexy (Or get high MP with Sharp and then switch to Quick for Agility gains). Then for another caster, you may want to make them super slow, and the reason is that for the super-hard optional boss you'll want someone who can heal your party at the beginning of the turn before the boss attacks, and then someone who can heal it at the end. Of course, this level of min/maxing is really only required for beating the optional boss multiple times, where the number of turns you spend make a difference.

Before the end, though, I think Thieves are pretty useful, especially if you don't use a guide. They are like dungeon crawling utility characters with the ability to act before pretty much everyone else in battle. I liked giving my Thief a Wreck Whip and the Sage Rock so she could do double duty as both a fast healer and someone who can clear whole enemy lines. Class changing her into a Sage and back into a Thief will make her even better, but really it's not necessary to complete the game.

For what it's worth, my party was Fighter (Martial Artist version), Cleric, Thief. I class changed the Cleric to a Sage at level 20 but other than that my party remained the same until the post-game content where I think I may have made my Thief into a Sage and then back into a Thief. It's honestly been close to a decade since I last played it so I could be wrong. Also my Hero was Valiant for much of the game, but I think giving them a personality with lots of MP at some point will really help with beating the optional boss, since they get the most powerful spell in the game, Thordain.

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Apr 2, 2013

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Man, that box cover brings back such awesome memories. :3:

Unmature
May 9, 2008

nutranurse posted:

Man, that box cover brings back such awesome memories. :3:

Me too, which is weird because I never played a Dragon Quest game until V which I picked up a couple years ago.

I was always aware of Dragon Quest. Legends of Japanese schools shutting down on release days made their way here and I'd hear about it all the time, but I wasn't into non-Pokemon RPGs as a kid. But I was DEFINITELY familiar with Akira Toriyama's work. So even though I've just gotten into DQ in the last two or three years, it still has some nostalgic effect on me.

Two PAXes ago I saw DQ 1&2 for Game Boy Color and still kick myself to this day for not picking it up. That game is pricey.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Currently playing through DQ8 for the first time since it came out, and I just have to say Slime Bingo can kiss my rear end.

Anyway, I'm sure I'm not the only one who wished they had kept the series going in that direction. Who thought an MMO would be the best move for DQX?

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Bigass Moth posted:

Anyway, I'm sure I'm not the only one who wished they had kept the series going in that direction. Who thought an MMO would be the best move for DQX?

I don't think it's a BAD move per se, it's all about how they handle it. It seems to be doing great in Japan, but MMOs have been on the wane in the states. Companies put them out, make a big deal, then they go free to play until they crash and burn. And Square and Nintendo seem to have no freakin' idea what they're doing with it here. Even giant franchises like Star Wars are bombing with MMOs so it's difficult to tell. I played Elder Scrolls Online at PAX and besides the badass free t shirt, it was not a pleasant experience.

My problem with a numbered RPG entry as an MMO is the expiration date. There will be a day when a whole numbered story in the series will be lost to the ages.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Bigass Moth posted:

Currently playing through DQ8 for the first time since it came out, and I just have to say Slime Bingo can kiss my rear end.

Hey, me too! It's pretty fantastic looking on PCSX2. The overworld remains an incredible thing, every area of this huge map had thought and care put into it and it's a joy to explore.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Wendell posted:

Hey, me too! It's pretty fantastic looking on PCSX2. The overworld remains an incredible thing, every area of this huge map had thought and care put into it and it's a joy to explore.

I don't think any PS2 era or above really got the world map portion of an RPG right like DQ8 did. Xenoblade did an excellent job as well but that was more than a few years later. The sense of scale and scope is just amazing. You said it perfectly - it's just a joy to explore.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
One thing that's making me put on my grognard glasses is the lack of help you receive. This game isn't really that old but it is oldschool as hell if that makes sense.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Levantine posted:

I don't think any PS2 era or above really got the world map portion of an RPG right like DQ8 did. Xenoblade did an excellent job as well but that was more than a few years later. The sense of scale and scope is just amazing. You said it perfectly - it's just a joy to explore.

Did we play the same Xenoblade? It doesn't have a world map.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I think he's referring to how Xenoblade and Dragon Quest VIII both feature semi-seamless travel between locations rather than going from a mostly to-scale town to a much more abstract overworld like in the older Dragon Quest games.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

It does, but you only see it the first time you reach an area since there isn't much use for one other than that.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Nickoten posted:

I think he's referring to how Xenoblade and Dragon Quest VIII both feature semi-seamless travel between locations rather than going from a mostly to-scale town to a much more abstract overworld like in the older Dragon Quest games.

Yes, exactly this, thank you.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I want to start playing Dragon Quest VII on the PS1.
Is there anything I need to know before I start?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Tired Moritz posted:

There's a remake for the 3DS that may or may not be released in your region.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Tired Moritz posted:

The first few hours have no fighting. It gets better.

The remake makes the game easier, but if you aren't against reading walkthroughs it probably doesn't matter.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Tired Moritz posted:

Yes, it's the slowest game beginning of all time but the entire experience oozes atmosphere. The map sprites look absolutely terrible but in-battle enemies look great and animate really well for the era. Be prepared to explore and check every pot for tablet shards or you might get stuck.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

I'm right near the end of the 3DS version, and the only thing I think I may have wanted to know ahead is which characters are removed from the party mid game without warning, just so I can manage stat upgrades and who I teach some important skills to better.

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power

Tired Moritz posted:

Keep playing the ps1 version. The remake is a piece of crap.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:
What, no. The PS1 version is well nigh unplayable because of frequent freezes and crashes.
It also lets players go on past a place you can't return to which has a shard...meaning one can't finish the game.

The 3DS remake is beautiful with vastly enhanced graphics. It also hasn't crashed once yet, and I'm around 70 hours in.
It's no contest, the PS1 version sucks.

Doug Dinsdale fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 4, 2013

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Doug Dinsdale posted:

The PS1 version is well nigh unplayable because of frequent freezes and crashes.

In 35 hours of play, I've not encountered a single crash in the PS1 version of DQVII.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

nene. posted:

Keep playing the ps1 version. The remake is a piece of crap.

Why do you say this?

Also, in Dragon Quest VIII I just got to the part where the depressed king is snapped back to reality by the memories of his dead wife. That was really good.

Doug Dinsdale
Aug 31, 2003

Shorts
Comfy: {Yes}
Easy to Wear: {Yes}
Alright, we're good to go! :neckbeard:
A quick search on Google Japan came up with a bunch of hits related to PS1 DQ7 bugs and freezes.
One recommendation: Play on PS1 and not PS2 (and if you play on PS2, set the read speed to normal). A totally worthless advice, "Play the Ultimate Hits reissue rather than the original."

There are also game-breaking bugs like a stopper at Dharma Temple you can avoid, but necessitates resetting.
There's an NPC who can join the party twice, but if so, several shards become unobtainable and the game becomes uncompletable (if you save after this happens, you are toast).

When we were localizing the PS1 version at Enix USA, we used to get crashes all the time.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Saigyouji posted:

In 35 hours of play, I've not encountered a single crash in the PS1 version of DQVII.

Mine crashed all the time back in ye olde PS1 days. 100 hours in and barely halfway through the game, what a mess.

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power
I never got a crash on ps1 version and the remake is zoomed in so that you can't see the area around you and a ugly graphic style compared to the cute old one. They should never have changed from the style of the original 7 and the DS remakes.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Okay, that's a really weird opinion.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Wendell posted:

Okay, that's a really weird opinion.

Not liking the camera seems like a pretty common complaint, I can see why it would irritate people. I don't mind the graphics though, especially the costume changes:

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I actually just meant in regard to the non-"cute" graphics. Dragon Quest VII was infamously hideous upon release, and making a game that looks like it today would be bizarre.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Doug Dinsdale posted:

What, no. The PS1 version is well nigh unplayable because of frequent freezes and crashes.
It also lets players go on past a place you can't return to which has a shard...meaning one can't finish the game.

The 3DS remake is beautiful with vastly enhanced graphics. It also hasn't crashed once yet, and I'm around 70 hours in.
It's no contest, the PS1 version sucks.

I've done a couple playthroughs of the game and I might've had one system freeze/crash in what was likely 120-140 hours of gameplay. What 'stuck' part are you referring to anyways? I can't recall a shard that was in an area you'd get locked out of.

You should be saving across multiple slots either way though, that's pretty much RPG 101 stuff because and when you forget it for the first time and can't get a boss drop or something you'll start remembering it better.

Wendell posted:

I actually just meant in regard to the non-"cute" graphics. Dragon Quest VII was infamously hideous upon release, and making a game that looks like it today would be bizarre.

Pretty much all the complaints I recall for this game on PS1 were things like "it's 2d sprites and not wonderful 3D models like FF7 had, why does Enix hate fun and pretty graphics please don't pay attention to how good the sprites actually look especially battle animations. :qq:"

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

It's weird that people can praise the look of the DS games but not Dragon Quest VII, the DS games are remade in the style of VII. The 3DS remake just seems weirdly amateurish, the 3d models and textures are bad and it is wayyyyyy too zoomed in. They have reduced the field of view by an insane amount and now you have to look at the map a lot to be able to tell where you are going and what is around you.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
It looks just like DQIX, a great game. :shrug: Might be because IX was designed for the DS, though.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Maybe it was just my tv, but I think that second screencap is a little misleading. Playing DQ7 as a kid, the image on the tv was really badly pixelated so I was right in there with the 'this game is ugly as sin' camp. (Not that it stopped me from liking the game) It looks a lot better on emulator where you can shrink down the window. They used the same style the the DS remakes and it looks really nice on the smaller screen.
TI don't think what I've seen of the 3DS version look bad either. It looks like they took the DQ8 style and shrunk it down to 9's proportions, but the textures look fine to me. They're certainly more cartoonish, but I don't think that's bad, just different. It is weird that they reduced the field of view so drastically though. What would be the reason for that? Some sort of hardware or engine limitation? Or is it just an art decision?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Once it looks worse than Wild Arms, you may complain.