Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Caravels pre-order just went up. loving stoked. http://www.topshelfrecords.bigcartel.com/product/caravels-lacuna-lp-package-deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

I liked their song which was included in the PBTT/TA split's download, so why the heck not. Thanks for the heads up.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Kevar posted:

drat, $5 would be an awesome grab. If for some reason the auction skyrockets, it's still available here for $14 http://kingsroadmerch.com/converge/view/?id=1519&cid=71

Topshelf fans, they just put the new Caravels LP up.

OH GOD DAMMIT

I ordered the black pressing for $15 off eBay, now to see if I can cancel the order or something.

I am so mad.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar
I know it's their release so they're obviously going to talk it up, but when the topshelf guys called it "One of the best things we'll ever release" I immediately got off the fence and patiently waited for the preorder to go up.

Topshelf basically gets first dibs at my meager disposable income whenever they put something out. I don't collect variants, but if I miss out on the vinyl bundle for The World is a Beautiful Place's LP I'll be devastated.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Kevar posted:

I know it's their release so they're obviously going to talk it up, but when the topshelf guys called it "One of the best things we'll ever release" I immediately got off the fence and patiently waited for the preorder to go up.

Topshelf basically gets first dibs at my meager disposable income whenever they put something out. I don't collect variants, but if I miss out on the vinyl bundle for The World is a Beautiful Place's LP I'll be devastated.

To me they're what a small label should strive to emulate. They talk to people through social media, they're always throwing in posters/pins/stickers/extras, often give away coupons that don't expire, give away digital copies for orders of new releases ahead of release, good prices, awesome colourways, etc.

Basically the perfect label shopping experience.

Got the clear with blue splatter :)

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

Parachute Underwear posted:

To me they're what a small label should strive to emulate. They talk to people through social media, they're always throwing in posters/pins/stickers/extras, often give away coupons that don't expire, give away digital copies for orders of new releases ahead of release, good prices, awesome colourways, etc.

Basically the perfect label shopping experience.

Got the clear with blue splatter :)

I still use the same 10% off code that I got with my first order 3 years ago. Seriously can't say enough good things about them. They really are the perfect label. I wish all of my transactions could be with either them or deathwish. Count Your Lucky Stars and No Sleep are good too, but they're all the way across the country. TS and DW packages take like 2 days to get to me.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I decided to order the clear pressing and keep the black pressing in order so I have them both, I'm apparently becoming that kind of person :v:.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Rush Hour Renegade posted:

It's $38.47 right now on Amazon.

This right here. The AMOK site, the Atoms for Peace site, and the XL Records shop were all sold out of the special ed. version (if not both vinyl tiers) when I went to check yesterday morning. To be honest, I'd been meaning to pre-order it from XL weeks ago and it just slipped my mind with the recent move to a new state. Amazon and Insound are still listing both vinyl versions for pre-order.

However, there's a pretty good chance that Amazon's pre-order listing reflects an accurate count of the amount of stock that they have and I would be shocked if they suddenly sent me an apology email on launch day telling me that they've sold out. With Insound, on the other hand, at this point in the month you can bet money that they've oversold their AMOK stock and that many people are going to end up with little Backordered statuses in their account profiles with no word from the company for weeks or months on end until Insound quietly cancels all of their orders without telling them anything or so much as an email alert. Basically, I've learned not to give Insound my money because they're kind of a lovely place to order stuff from.

Also, I was able to cash in a free 30-day trial of Amazon Prime (if you go into your settings, you can tell it to NOT turn over to paid Prime once the promo period ends- or you could just remember to cancel before 30 days are up) so I got free 2-day shipping on it and a guaranteed delivery on the 26th, when the album launches. Amazon wins on all counts (though I've had Insound deliver pre-order LPs before launch day in the past- which is probably cooler, though not worth risking their bullshit storm for).

Tusen Takk posted:

Honestly, I don't know what else to call it. Sometimes I feel like buying something just because. Usually it ends up being food.

I do have Lyme disease and sometimes have depression episodes, so good advice :hug:

To be more on topic: I ended up buyin the black pressing of Axe to Fall and two penny books about self-esteem off of eBay and avoided the record store based on your advice :v:

No worries, just as long as you're safe and in control. Collection hobbies like this one are often big red flags for people with mania risk or recurring manic episodes because they make it a lot easier to blow irresponsible amounts of money on stuff than having to come up with a plan to buy something. And there's always more stuff out there to add to the collection, so the motivation to buy more never really goes away and it's something easy to get attached to. I know one guy who has blown $500+ at a time buying vinyl. It's really disturbing and depressing to see because his collection is absolutely incredible compared to mine, but he has to regularly ask his parents for money to buy food or pay bills- and he's a 25 year old with a good job. It's not just vinyl, tho- this guy's hood rich in general- but he must drop at least $12 grand a year on this stuff and it's totally uncool.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 20, 2013

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

Tusen Takk posted:

I decided to order the clear pressing and keep the black pressing in order so I have them both, I'm apparently becoming that kind of person :v:.

Know that if you ever try to get ALL the variants, you will go insane.

lazywhiteboy
Sep 11, 2006

not everybody's cup of tea

Parachute Underwear posted:

I received my set as scheduled but my buddy ordered the regular LP and still doesn't have it yet. That said, we both got an email with apologies again just last week saying the plant they were using got hit by Sandy and then went out of business, not able to fill out the rest of the order. Anyway, apparently they should have the rest by next week and will send them out then. There was some bullshit about lack of communication in there too.

You should probably just hope you got slipped off the mailing list or something. I'm still on there for no reason.

I got this email also and at this point I don't believe a word of this poo poo. I got an email just like it at the beginning of December promising that all copies would be shipped out the next week.

If they were so concerned about their customers you would think they would answer one of the 45 emails I've sent to them requesting a refund. gently caress Soul Temple.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

lazywhiteboy posted:

I got this email also and at this point I don't believe a word of this poo poo. I got an email just like it at the beginning of December promising that all copies would be shipped out the next week.

If they were so concerned about their customers you would think they would answer one of the 45 emails I've sent to them requesting a refund. gently caress Soul Temple.

:ssj::respek::ssj:

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
I don't know if this has been done before, but I think it would be cool if we had a post-your-setup kinda thing.

I'll start off with mine:

Details: Pioneer SA-8800 integrated amp, Celestion SL6si speakers, and a Technics SL-1200MK2 turntable

Pretty much all of it has been built up from thrift store purchases in the past few years. Amp and speakers could use some restoration work, but I'll leave it 'til I get some more time.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

Blurry-rear end photo in a dimly lit room (hence the grading lamp on the left). I've been trying to clean up stuff so the shelf everything's on just holds overflow and recent stuff that's not put away yet.

SL-1210MK2 -> Bellari VP130 -> NAD C162 (skipping phono stage) -> VTA ST-70 -> Klipsch Heresy II

Occasionally I switch the to the NAD C262 -> Polk RTIs when I'm playing something very bass heavy since the bass on the Heresy is acousticy/rolling which is very nice for my normal listening but doesn't work well for dub, elec, etc. I also have a quasi-upgraded Pro-ject Debut III that I stopped using because I got sick of loving with it swtiching between 45s and LPs so much. Slowly replacing/upgrading pieces as I go.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

My room is currently a mess, and I definitely have cable management issues....

JVC S81W (re-capped, $40), Onkyo TA-2022 tape deck (dad gave that to me) Technics SL-Q202 ($20) and KLH 17s ($10 for the pair) I re-capped and re-grilled. I wo on the finish on the sides, too.

Chill Callahan, have you had any issues with the speakers being on the same surface as the TT causing skips?

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
buncha bullshit

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
SL 1200 MK2 into my old-rear end Gemini Scratchmaster for the preamp:

into a MOTU Ultralite m3k Hybrid:

into a pair of KRKs:

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.
I listen to my vinyls on this:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Surfingelectrode posted:

I listen to my vinyls on this:

Get the hell out of here with that audiophile bullshit. This is the only turntable you'll ever need:

You're just throwing away money.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

alg posted:

Chill Callahan, have you had any issues with the speakers being on the same surface as the TT causing skips?

Nah, not at all. The turntable is on a slide-out table separate from the main table. I've been planning on getting speaker stands, but it's on the back burner.

That looks like a killer setup. What is (what looks like) a NAD box below that receiver? Also is that power amp from a kit? I've got a Pioneer SPEC-4 I'm repairing right now that I might sell for something nice with tubes.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

Chill Callahan posted:

That looks like a killer setup. What is (what looks like) a NAD box below that receiver? Also is that power amp from a kit? I've got a Pioneer SPEC-4 I'm repairing right now that I might sell for something nice with tubes.

Eh, I typo'ed my post. The top NAD is a C162 preamp and the bottom box is a C272 power amp. They're a really nice pair but don't sound great w/ horn loaded speakers. Plus the Klipschs are really sensitive and I was shooting for an all-tube chain with them.

The ST-70 is this kit: http://www.tubes4hifi.com/bob.htm. It's not the cheapest but has by far the best build quality of all the ST-70 semi-clones I've seen. Kit's dead simple and Bob Latino is really responsive, ships quick, etc. There's cheaper ST-35/ST-70 kits around, but I was planning to get larger horn speakers at some point in the future (La Scalas, hopefully). (The SPEC-4 looks cool as poo poo, though.)

e: plus the VTA driver board is really nice and allows for individual tube biasing so tube matching doesn't have be a big concern

JehovahsWetness fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Feb 21, 2013

Doorstop
Jan 13, 2008
I really miss Texas
Yay, I've been lurking, and wanted to ask a question about my setup anyway. Keep in mind all thrift store found, well except for the turntable which I was given for free by a friend's parents who were getting rid of it.

Audio Technica AT-PL120 running through an old Realistic STA-77A. Speakers are Boston Acoustics A70s. So the speakers need new foam surrounds which are already ordered. Question is this: when the stereo and record player are on there is this noise that I can only describe as bubbling, and for those who this will make sense to, it sounds like a bong bubbling. Is this due to the speaker foam being almost gone, or something else that is solvable? It mostly seems to go away when something is playing, but does recur from time to time, and is most persistent in between songs or during dead air. I'm new at this but getting enthusiastic pretty quick, so any advice is welcome.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I don't have a camera but...

Technics SL-220 with an Audio-Technica AT92E into a Behringer PP400 and Logitech 313's. Very low end, but it does the job for me.

I picked up the Technics in working condition from a Goodwill, but at 30 bucks I probably overpaid for a belt-driven tt.
It didn't have a cart and I definitely could've gotten it cheaper by pretending that the ground wire was supposed to be connected to a missing part.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Here's my setup:
Pioneer SX-626
Sanyo TP 1010
and pioneer bookshelf speakers.
I think the most expensive piece was the Sanyo with a Grado Black cart, at $60.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Here's my setup:
Pioneer SX-626
Sanyo TP 1010
and pioneer bookshelf speakers.
I think the most expensive piece was the Sanyo with a Grado Black cart, at $60.

This is beautiful, I love the layout! Where did you get those LP ledge shelve thingos (if I may ask)?

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

Tusen Takk posted:

Where did you get those LP ledge shelve thingos (if I may ask)?

Seconding this, I need those in my life/apartment.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Sharp RP-1122 table, some generic phono pre-amp and a Technics SH-8044 Graphic Equalizer. From there it just goes in to my Logitech Z906 speakers which I use for everything. They sound good :colbert: The headphones are just Sennheiser HD-438s, they go ok too.

The furniture is just temporary until I find something suitable for the spot it's in that will hold my LPs as well. They're tucked around the corner :(

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Feb 21, 2013

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Tusen Takk posted:

This is beautiful, I love the layout! Where did you get those LP ledge shelve thingos (if I may ask)?

Thanks! The shelve thingies are "ribba picture ledges" from Ikea.

http://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/art/70177062/

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
This is my set up as it stands, although I am moving on Monday. The records will finally be on show in a 5x5 Expedit.

Left to right: Sharp Optonica RP-104, Garrard 4HF, Technics SL-1200, Project Phono Box II (on top of) KRK Rokit 5s, Wharfedale R-200 mixer to tie the turntables and the computer together.

Most of the records are now boxed for the move :psyduck:

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
I don't have a good furniture solution yet. Everything of mine is sitting on the floor (I'll see if I can tempt my ferret onto the platter again for a photo, but he isn't easily fooled twice). But I like my setup. SL-1210mk2 > NAD C375BEE with phono stage > B&W CM9. Nice and simple. Yet somehow it still looks like a mess.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Thanks! The shelve thingies are "ribba picture ledges" from Ikea.

http://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/art/70177062/

:sweden:Gud velsigne svenskene:sweden:

Cheers!

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Electric Bugaloo posted:

This right here. The AMOK site, the Atoms for Peace site, and the XL Records shop were all sold out of the special ed. version (if not both vinyl tiers) when I went to check yesterday morning. To be honest, I'd been meaning to pre-order it from XL weeks ago and it just slipped my mind with the recent move to a new state. Amazon and Insound are still listing both vinyl versions for pre-order.

Glad I jumped on this yesterday, because it's not available on the UK Amazon site anymore.

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

I don't have a photo of it all together (which is ok, because I've moved it all since I took these photos), but here is my stuff:

Acoustic Research ES-1

Hafler DH-110 preamp and Hafler Five Hundred amp, with some Ibanez EQ and a crappy Toshiba cd player. Also, a Carver "sonic hologram generator" :wtc: No idea what it does, but it came with everything else and it's not hooked up.

KLH-1 floor speakers (complete with the "Analog Bass Computer" visible in the photo above).

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Third Man does things again and this time I'm a bit confused

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ3c3WZ-3UU

oh, nevermind - that's old stuff.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Ron Burgundy posted:

5x5 Expedit.

Always makes me cringe.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Me in Reverse posted:

Always makes me cringe.

Looks like they put it together wrong. The long boards are supposed to be horizontal with the small boards being vertical.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Me in Reverse posted:

Always makes me cringe.

Seeing this posted around is why I'm hesitant to buy an expedit.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
It's built incorrectly and clearly overloaded. There's way too much weight on top.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Aww, man. That guy's got a poster of Boris' Rainbow. It makes me sad to think it could have been in that shelf.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Any of you guys want to buy a sealed Interpol - Turn on the Bright Lights 10th Anniv. CD/DVD?

They couldn't fulfill my LP order so I got this booby prize :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Me in Reverse posted:

They couldn't fulfill my LP order so I got this booby prize :(

But you can still buy it from the site though?