Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

This hasn't become a thing yet, however I an just see this being framed by some as "OBAMA TOOK ARE SCOOTERS"

The SCOOTER Store power wheelchair company raided in federal probe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

LeJackal posted:

Ever tried to wrestle a gun from somebody? I mean this is all seriousness - we can talk about how a lot of rapes are committed by those known to the victim, or use drugs to render them helpless first, actual cases where a gun/knife/taser/mace might not be useful at all. There are also cases, like a home invasion, where it is very possible to draw your gun and hunker down with it pointed at your door or something.

It is a contextual thing, and a choice thing. Women, and people in general, should have the choice to decide for themselves how to secure their safety.

I never said they didn't have the right to defend themselves.

Mooseontheloose fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Feb 21, 2013

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Are there any generally effective ways for a woman to reduce her personal risk of being sexually assaulted?

Not really. Society can greatly reduce the risk collectively by putting up safeguards and readily available police protection, stiff, enforced penalties and by shaming and exposing rape culture, but the individual does not have a whole lot of power.

Guns can obviously be used in self defense, and there are cons and risks to ownership as well, but to tie self defense to rape is crass, at best.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Mooseontheloose posted:

I never said they had the right to defend themselves.

Wow. That is probably the worst thing I have heard today. Is that just sexist, or do men lack the right to defend themselves as well?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

LeJackal posted:

Wow. That is probably the worst thing I have heard today. Is that just sexist, or do men lack the right to defend themselves as well?

I think it's a typo, given the context.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

greatn posted:

I think it's a typo, given the context.

Yes, sorry didn't proofread my post.

They absolutely do have the right to defend themselves. I am just saying that a gun doesn't make you automatically safe and that the attitude has to be everyone is a threat to you so make them a target.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Mooseontheloose posted:

I am just saying that a gun doesn't make you automatically safe

This is true.

Mooseontheloose posted:

the attitude has to be everyone is a threat to you so make them a target.

This is not true.

Skeevy Mcgee
Feb 17, 2007

I knew it would only be a matter of time before I started seeing this type of poo poo.

:toot:

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.

buddhanc posted:

Facebook friend recently posted an article and chart relating to gun control issues and I vaguely recall the picture floating around in D&D somewhere with a solid rebuttal, but I can't find it. Any help finding the old posts or coming up with a new rebuttal would be much appreciated.

Article and chart in question: http://www.shtfplan.com/headline-news/americas-biggest-killers-the-chart-anti-gunners-dont-want-you-to-see_01052013

Okay, first, all data was found here.

That chart is way off, and cherry picks "gun violence" to "homicides" only, when the rest of the statistics are "deaths." It ignores suicides, easily the largest single proportion of firearms-related deaths.

That is a really good example of the deceptive use of charts and data by people with an agenda. It also lumps "death from unintentional injury" from pretty much every cause together, which includes > 600 firearms-related accidental fatalities.

Here're some data from reports of firearms-related incidents in the US from 2010. Data taken from the above link.

All firearms fatalities, 2010 (US) (total number = 32,016)

All firearms non-fatal injuries, 2010 (US) (total number = 73,883)

All firearms-related incidents, 2010 (US) (total number = 105,899)

In other words, firearms are overwhelmingly used for either suicide, killing people, or in assaults that cause injury. I didn't even bother to try to find stats for incidents in which a gun was flashed. Probably too many to get an accurate read.

Also, considering that we're actively trying to reduce the behaviors that contribute to deaths from every one of those other categories, you could ask your friend if he's somehow suggesting that we should just stop worrying about gun deaths altogether? If we're going to work to reduce fatalities in all those situations, shouldn't we be trying to address gun-related fatalities as well?

Walter fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Feb 21, 2013

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
Apparently this is in fact written by Evan Todd, so don't be surprised if you start seeing this pop up all over your facebook as well.

Columbine Survivor Pens Bold Open Letter To Obama Rejecting Gun Control: ‘Whose Side Are You On?’

quote:

Mr. President,

As a student who was shot and wounded during the Columbine massacre, I have a few thoughts on the current gun debate. In regards to your gun control initiatives:

Universal Background Checks

First, a universal background check will have many devastating effects. It will arguably have the opposite impact of what you propose. If adopted, criminals will know that they can not pass a background check legally, so they will resort to other avenues. With the conditions being set by this initiative, it will create a large black market for weapons and will support more criminal activity and funnel additional money into the hands of thugs, criminals, and people who will do harm to American citizens.

Second, universal background checks will create a huge bureaucracy that will cost an enormous amount of tax payers dollars and will straddle us with more debt. We cannot afford it now, let alone create another function of government that will have a huge monthly bill attached to it.

Third, is a universal background check system possible without universal gun registration? If so, please define it for us. Universal registration can easily be used for universal confiscation. I am not at all implying that you, sir, would try such a measure, but we do need to think about our actions through the lens of time.

It is not impossible to think that a tyrant, to the likes of Mao, Castro, Che, Hitler, Stalin, Mussolini, and others, could possibly rise to power in America. It could be five, ten, twenty, or one hundred years from now — but future generations have the natural right to protect themselves from tyrannical government just as much as we currently do. It is safe to assume that this liberty that our forefathers secured has been a thorn in the side of would-be tyrants ever since the Second Amendment was adopted.

Ban on Military-Style Assault Weapons

The evidence is very clear pertaining to the inadequacies of the assault weapons ban. It had little to no effect when it was in place from 1994 until 2004. It was during this time that I personally witnessed two fellow students murder twelve of my classmates and one teacher. The assault weapons ban did not deter these two murderers, nor did the other thirty-something laws that they broke.

Gun ownership is at an all time high. And although tragedies like Columbine and Newtown are exploited by ideologues and special-interest lobbying groups, crime is at an all time low. The people have spoken. Gun store shelves have been emptied. Gun shows are breaking attendance records. Gun manufacturers are sold out and back ordered. Shortages on ammo and firearms are countrywide. The American people have spoken and are telling you that our Second Amendment shall not be infringed.

10-Round Limit for Magazines

Virginia Tech was the site of the deadliest school shooting in U.S. history. Seung-Hui Cho used two of the smallest caliber hand guns manufactured and a handful of ten round magazines. There are no substantial facts that prove that limited magazines would make any difference at all.

Second, this is just another law that endangers law-abiding citizens. I’ve heard you ask, “why does someone need 30 bullets to kill a deer?”

Let me ask you this: Why would you prefer criminals to have the ability to out-gun law-abiding citizens? Under this policy, criminals will still have their 30-round magazines, but the average American will not. Whose side are you on?

Lastly, when did the government get into the business of regulating “needs?” This is yet another example of government overreaching and straying from its intended purpose.

Selling to Criminals

Mr. President, these are your words: “And finally, Congress needs to help, rather than hinder, law enforcement as it does its job. We should get tougher on people who buy guns with the express purpose of turning around and selling them to criminals. And we should severely punish anybody who helps them do this.”

Why don’t we start with Eric Holder and thoroughly investigate the Fast and Furious program?

Furthermore, the vast majority of these mass murderers bought their weapons legally and jumped through all the hoops — because they were determined to murder. Adding more hoops and red tape will not stop these types of people. It doesn’t now — so what makes you think it will in the future? Criminals who cannot buy guns legally just resort to the black market.

Criminals and murderers will always find a way.

Critical Examination

Mr. President, in theory, your initiatives and proposals sound warm and fuzzy — but in reality they are far from what we need. Your initiatives seem to punish law-abiding American citizens and enable the murderers, thugs, and other lowlifes who wish to do harm to others.

Let me be clear: These ideas are the worst possible initiatives if you seriously care about saving lives and also upholding your oath of office. There is no dictate, law, or regulation that will stop bad things from happening — and you know that. Yet you continue to push the rhetoric. Why?

You said, “If we can save just one person it is worth it.” Well here are a few ideas that will save more that one individual:

First, forget all of your current initiatives and 23 purposed executive orders. They will do nothing more than impede law-abiding citizens and breach the intent of the Constitution. Each initiative steals freedom, grants more power to an already-overreaching government, and empowers and enables criminals to run amok.

Second, press Congress to repeal the “Gun Free Zone Act.” Don’t allow America’s teachers and students to be endangered one-day more. These parents and teachers have the natural right to defend themselves and not be looked at as criminals. There is no reason teachers must disarm themselves to perform their jobs. There is also no reason a parent or volunteer should be disarmed when they cross the school line.

This is your chance to correct history and restore liberty. This simple act of restoring freedom will deter would-be murderers and for those who try, they will be met with resistance.

Mr. President, do the right thing, restore freedom, and save lives. Show the American people that you stand with them and not with thugs and criminals.

Respectfully,

Severely Concerned Citizen, Evan M. Todd

Barely even 4 paragraphs to get to :godwin:

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe
Was it a head wound?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Skeevy Mcgee posted:

I knew it would only be a matter of time before I started seeing this type of poo poo.

Minimum contribution to the workplace is maybe the most offensive thing in that image. Skills and education are a product of society and motivation is just a petty personal attack displaying a lack of understanding reality and misfortunate circumstances, but minimum contribution? Apparently earning the company a profit by underpaying you the value of your work is a minimum contribution.

agent_wildflower
Sep 7, 2011
Apologies if this isn't the thread to ask, but what is the reason against universal registration? I'm just curious.

And we can't afford universal background checks?! What?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I got to the bit where he talked about "future generations have the right to protect themselves from tyrannical government" before I had to stop. We have automated drones capable of putting hellfire missiles through your window from thousands of miles up! Armored vehicles that are completely impervious to small arms fire! loving Nukes! Why the gently caress do people think that if the government goes full :godwin: that their rifle will do them a whit of good?

...Well, Cognitive Dissonance is probably the obvious answer, but still. :bang:

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

agent_wildflower posted:

Apologies if this isn't the thread to ask, but what is the reason against universal registration? I'm just curious.

And we can't afford universal background checks?! What?

Universal registration means that the government now has a list of who owns guns, how many guns, and where those guns are. If the government then wanted to confiscate those guns it knows where to find them.

Spiritus Nox posted:

I got to the bit where he talked about "future generations have the right to protect themselves from tyrannical government" before I had to stop. We have automated drones capable of putting hellfire missiles through your window from thousands of miles up! Armored vehicles that are completely impervious to small arms fire! loving Nukes! Why the gently caress do people think that if the government goes full :godwin: that their rifle will do them a whit of good?

...Well, Cognitive Dissonance is probably the obvious answer, but still. :bang:

Usually those people will bring up Iraq, Afghanistan, and Vietnam as examples of insurgencies that worked against the government.

The fact that there has not been a successful domestic insurgencies in the US doesn't deter that line of though.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Mo_Steel posted:

Minimum contribution to the workplace is maybe the most offensive thing in that image. Skills and education are a product of society and motivation is just a petty personal attack displaying a lack of understanding reality and misfortunate circumstances, but minimum contribution? Apparently earning the company a profit by underpaying you the value of your work is a minimum contribution.

So let's just raise the minimum wage? They'd still be getting the minimum amount, it would just be higher.

agent_wildflower
Sep 7, 2011

Ho Chi Mint posted:

Universal registration means that the government now has a list of who owns guns, how many guns, and where those guns are. If the government then wanted to confiscate those guns it knows where to find them.

But if the government wanted to come illegally take their guns...they would use their guns to defend their guns? And my next question goes along with Spiritus. What chance in hell do they stand against our government, even with all their guns? I don't really see some of these "warriors" getting up out of their armchair and engaging the military in guerrilla tactics.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Ho Chi Mint posted:

Usually those people will bring up Iraq, Afghanistan, and Vietnam as examples of insurgencies that worked against the government.

The fact that there has not been a successful domestic insurgencies in the US doesn't deter that line of though.

Nor would pointing out that those insurgencies were also all against foreign powers with inferior knowledge of the lay of the land and waning public support - to say nothing of the fact that they had access to poo poo like explosives and RPGs and poo poo that even the most frothy mouthed gun nut can't seriously argue we should make available to the public.

I also like how he just asserts that a massive black market will emerge and develop the capacity to provide criminals with weapons and ammunition at exactly the same rate they're already acquiring them, without providing the faintest detail of who's going to run this black market, who's going to supply it, how criminals are going to know about it (like they're some monolithic thuggish hive-mind), or where it's going to come from.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

agent_wildflower posted:

But if the government wanted to come illegally take their guns...they would use their guns to defend their guns? And my next question goes along with Spiritus. What chance in hell do they stand against our government, even with all their guns? I don't really see some of these "warriors" getting up out of their armchair and engaging the military in guerrilla tactics.

The needing guns to defend your guns bit is a little circular, but there is also no evidence that a registry would have any effect on crime.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Spiritus Nox posted:

Nor would pointing out that those insurgencies were also all against foreign powers with inferior knowledge of the lay of the land and waning public support - to say nothing of the fact that they had access to poo poo like explosives and RPGs and poo poo that even the most frothy mouthed gun nut can't seriously argue we should make available to the public.

As well as having in Vietnam's case (and Iraq and Afghanistan although alot more limited than Vietnam's example), other foreign powers giving active material support (and intelligence and so on and so forth) to help those countries against the U.S.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Skeevy Mcgee posted:

You show great drive and workmanship, here's a quarter raise!

Hallelujah! Not sure what those union thugs are so mad about!

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Sean Archer posted:

FB News Feed is off to a great start today:

Ugh. Just got this one on my feed and it actually made me physically mad. My response:

quote:

fyi, the vast majority of rapes are committed by acquaintances, friends, dates, and family members. Guns are far less useful to a woman who is drugged or being attacked by her boyfriend, coworker, fellow student or some other "trusted" individual. This sort of smug "well maybe if women had guns" victim blaming is reprehensible when the situation in real life is never so black and white. If you are actually concerned about women being raped, maybe you should look into rape culture and the widespread acceptance of "boys will be boys" sexual assault. Remember, 95% of rapes at colleges are *never reported*. 95%. 1 in 4 women will be sexually assualted in their lifetimes and the vast majority of their attackers will never, ever face charges.

Got a like right after I posted it, so there's hope

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Someone needs to point out to these Civil War II fantasists that the number of revolutions that have suceeded without significant outside help is very, very small, and there were usually special circumstances for the ones that did succeed on their own- the Bolsheviks took advantage of WWI, Latin America started breaking away when Napoleon invaded Spain, and so on. Who would actually support a massive civil conflict in the United States shattering the world's economy? Al-Qaeda? North Korea?

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Skeevy Mcgee posted:

Ah yes, because people who work minimum wage jobs (1) never have qualifications or give any effort at all, and (2) somehow deserve to struggle to not starve in the streets.

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

Kegluneq posted:

The first thing is probably related to advice given by the University of Colorado, which told women to vomit, urinate, or claim to have an infectious disease to ward off a rapist.

My wife took a rape prevention class in college over a decade ago and this was presented as a sort of last-resort option if a woman couldn't otherwise escape or defend herself (especially if they were facing a group of attackers). They also mentioned acting mentally disturbed, like screaming about demons or acting like you had Tourettes. Carrying a gun was not recommended because, as mentioned, most rapes were committed by acquaintances and the chances were the gun would be used against you. I guess I'm confused as to why this was controversial advice.

agent_wildflower
Sep 7, 2011

Kavak posted:

Someone needs to point out to these Civil War II fantasists that the number of revolutions that have suceeded without significant outside help is very, very small, and there were usually special circumstances for the ones that did succeed on their own- the Bolsheviks took advantage of WWI, Latin America started breaking away when Napoleon invaded Spain, and so on. Who would actually support a massive civil conflict in the United States shattering the world's economy? Al-Qaeda? North Korea?

I'm kinda fantasizing how a Civil War II would play out.

Rush Limbaugh, commander-in-chief of the New Continental Army, is marching his men across Main Street to Chick-Fil-A Hold to meet up with the Mama Grizzly Regiment. However, they were flanked by General Diamond Joe's troops. Supplies to Chick-Fil-A Hold were running low.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
You now, people seem to underestimate how quickly the purity of a faction goes away when blood, guns, or money starts flowing. Fantasizing about another Civil War ultimately an exercise in futility but people really underestimate poo poo.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
God I hate how people keep mentioning the 1994 Gun Ban. It did not ban the use, purchasing, or reselling of assault rifles manufactured BEFORE 1994. It only banned the manufacturing of them from 1994 onwards. It didn't make assault rifles as a whole illegal or hard to own (which is what we need from current gun legislation).

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

LP97S posted:

You now, people seem to underestimate how quickly the purity of a faction goes away when blood, guns, or money starts flowing. Fantasizing about another Civil War ultimately an exercise in futility but people really underestimate poo poo.
Yeah, pretty much this, say they did actually get a bunch of militias banded together and tried an uprising. they would probably just start executing anyone that wasn't white and or anyone "liberal". and that's it. Mainly because these people at heart are just jingoistic cowards who will just run when the military or even a SWAT team shows up.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
Can some one repost the rebuttal to the college professor doing the socialism thing and every one gets a D?

Basically: 1% of the students would get an A from their grade-rich parents, etc.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

ultimateforce posted:

Can some one repost the rebuttal to the college professor doing the socialism thing and every one gets a D?

Basically: 1% of the students would get an A from their grade-rich parents, etc.

Or you could just point out that grades are a terrible example because they're in no way zero-sum, and therefore a closer approximation would be the professor giving everyone As.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
Well yeah, I just wanted to see the full rebuttal someone did because it was worded a lot better than how I was about to.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Ho Chi Mint posted:

The needing guns to defend your guns bit is a little circular, but there is also no evidence that a registry would have any effect on crime.

The NFA registry and associated law enforcement seems to have done a pretty good job keeping NFA weapons out of the hands of criminals.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

ultimateforce posted:

http://www.snopes.com/college/exam/socialism.asp

There are a number of versions there, but there's not much of a rebuttal. It's essentially a lovely metaphor that captures virtually none of the tenets of socialism. You could possibly make the analogy less lovely by using Communism.

At least I think that's what you're thinking about. I haven't seen one with anything about a 1% or anything though. It's also a terrible metaphor because an unbiased classroom is in theory a true meritocracy. Capitalism does not represent a true meritocracy, so the premise is flawed from the beginning.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

ultimateforce posted:

Someone did a rebuttal here which basically had the rich kids who do no work get all the points for As and despite the D students working really hard, they can never score enough points to move forward because you can't give everyone As, that would be socialism.

Je suis fatigue
May 5, 2009

Amazing! It's a double J.O.!

Mo_Steel posted:

The stupid logic is that the reason you're earning the minimum wage is your fault because if did you more than minimum you'd get paid more than minimum. All praise be to the holy Job Creators, definitely not money grubbing assholes that pay the absolute minimum because someone forced them to. FREE MARKET SOLUTIONS NUMBER 1!!!!

hawaiian_robot
Dec 5, 2006

And I'm happy just to sit here,
At a table with old friends.
And see which one of us can tell the biggest lies
From my Facebook:

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/students-who-refuse-to-affirm-transgender-classmates-face-punishment.html

Facebook dickhead posted:

Maybe I'll move to Massachusetts and decide I want to be a girl. Then I'll have access to every place that girls are naked.

Do their lawmakers even think about this stuff?

I... what? He reposted it from a group called The Conservative Parent and some of the comments on the original post and the follow-up post are just astonishing.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Mooseontheloose posted:

Someone did a rebuttal here which basically had the rich kids who do no work get all the points for As and despite the D students working really hard, they can never score enough points to move forward because you can't give everyone As, that would be socialism.

quote:

An economics professor at Texas Tech said he had never failed a single student before but had, once, failed an entire class. That class had insisted that socialism worked and that no one would be poor and no one would be rich, a great equalizer. The professor then said ok, we will have an experiment in this class on socialism.

All grades would be averaged and everyone would receive the same grade so no one would fail and no one would receive an A. After the first test the grades were averaged and everyone got a B. The students who studied hard were upset and the students who studied little were happy. But, as the second test rolled around, the students who studied little had studied even less and the ones who studied hard decided they wanted a free ride too; so they studied little.. The second test average was a D! No one was happy. When the 3rd test rolled around the average was an F.

The scores never increased as bickering, blame, name calling all resulted in hard feelings and no one would study for the benefit of anyone else. All failed, to their great surprise, and the professor told them that socialism would also ultimately fail because when the reward is great, the effort to succeed is great; but when government takes all the reward away; no one will try or want to succeed.

The economics teacher concluded his story, "And that's how an entire class failed this course with their experiment in socialism."

A young, brainy, student spoke up "Excuse me, while we're on the subject of grades, I've been having a hard time understanding exactly how grades work at this University, I've asked around a lot and while I have been repeatedly assured that it's fair and that if I work hard I will succeed, I can't actually figure out how my GPA is determined."

The professor perked up and answered "Unlike other schools that punish students for their success, here at Free Republic University we reward our most academically distinguished students. The top students receive first picks at the classes they'd like to take and are also entrusted with the distribution of class supplies, i.e., textbooks, paper and pencils.

Speaking of which, it'd be a good idea for you all to get in contact with our current top student right now, Edgar Moneybags IV, with a GPA of 25.34, he's been entrusted with all of your textbooks."

A student from the back cried out "Edgar isn't here today, he's FAR too busy with his academic pursuits to waste time here, I work for Edgar and you can each rent one of Edgar's textbooks for only 30% of your grades."

The brainy student asked the professor, "How can Edgar have such a high GPA when it's only the first week of class?"

The professor answered, "His father was a student here and when he passed away, Edgar inherited his father's GPA, after all, Edgar Moneybags III earned that GPA, we don't have the right to tell him how it should be distributed."

An angry student stood up "So wait, some student who isn't even here is going to force us to give up 30% of our grade to him just because he was lucky enough to have parents with good grades? We'll all be stuck at a GPA of 2.0"

Edgar's Lackey spoke next "Actually, after all the fees from pencil rental and purchases of paper, we're expecting to get around 40% of your grades, and you're not all going to get perfect scores on every test so you guys can all look forward to a class average of GPA of 1.2 . But that's just from grades alone, if you're motivated like me, you can do some extra work for Edgar and make some extra GPA points, I've got a 4.8 . The GPA points that Edgar spreads around to people who help him actually brings the class average all the way up to 4.4, we call it "Trickle Down"

Another student asked "But wait, doesn't that mean that if we spread the grades around evenly that everyone would have an extremely high GPA?"

The brainy student spoke again, "I heard that half of students have a GPA less than 0.9, I thought you said that no one ever fails."

The Professor interjected "To answer the first question, that doesn't work, remember the story?!, and for the second question, Edgar Moneybags III, as the Valedictorian, was the one who got to choose what counts as a passing grade."

The brainy student spoke up one final time, "I guess that answers my next question, I looked up the grades for that class that did that experiment in socialism. The class earned nearly perfect scores for all three tests! Let me guess, Edgar set the scale so that 100% was a B for the first test, a D for the second test and an F for the third test?"

The professor furiously stammered "Edgar was being generous when he gave them all F's, he should have had them all expelled. Why do you all insist on punishing him for his success!" The professor ran crying from the room.

The brainy student walked to the front of the classroom and spoke "From now on we'll distribute the textbooks to everyone and we'll share the pencils and paper, if you study you'll succeed, if you don't you'll fail. Either way it'll be because of your own effort, not because of what family you happened to be born in."

That brainy student's name: Albert Einstein

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

That brainy student's name: Albert Einstein

And one by one, the students rose from their chairs and began to applaud...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

800peepee51doodoo posted:

And one by one, the students rose from their chairs and began to applaud...

And The school was closed the next day for under performing. The entire student body was transferred to various private charter schools in the local area. Property taxes were then lowered as there as no public school left to fund. Reagan's ghost could be seen shedding a single tear.

:negative: