Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Just applied for a scheme where the woman I wrote my cover letter to was a Ms. Peniston
They do phone interviews. I will have to try my best not to laugh if she introduces herself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
At work we had a client with the last name of Mumdada.

Recently, we also had a Ramroop and Beedoo. I think our appointment list is trying to break into doo-wop.

Smokewagon
Jul 3, 2012
Best surname I have personally known is Slapsak, she was very nice. But drat if it wasn't almost impossible to start a conversaion with "Mrs. Slapsak..." without drat near busting out in giggles like a loving schoolgirl.

Hormones
May 9, 2009
I used to work in a daycare center in 2006-09 and we had some gems:

-Triplets, all girls, named Winter, Summer and Autumn
-Sisters, not triplets, named Lyric, Harmony and Melody
-Sisters, Destynee and Faythe
-Boy named Griffin

And I went to high school with twin girls named Lynzey and Jezka.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Patchwork Shaman posted:

I know a family who named their children Ruby, Emery, and Garnet. Garnet is a guy, but that name would seem equally strange for a woman. The other two names don't sound so bad, until you realize that you could find them all in the sandpaper section of your local hardware store.

Garnet Exelby doesn't think it's such a strange name.

Admittedly, it would make more sense to name your child Garnet if he/she was born in January, but whatever.

PlantRobot
Feb 13, 2010

RazorBunny posted:

I drove by a dentist's office today that belongs to a Dr. S. Ham. It was all in capital letters, so it looks like DR SHAM. Just seemed to me like there might be a better way to display it.

Looked him up, his first name is Samuel...

And hey, that's my dentist! Dr. Sam Ham. He's a really nice guy, I'd recommend him.

All on Black
Dec 14, 2007

She's not "that Mexican", Mom, she's MY Mexican. And she's...Colombian or something.

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Garnet Exelby doesn't think it's such a strange name.

Admittedly, it would make more sense to name your child Garnet if he/she was born in January, but whatever.

There's a ton of hockey players with absolutely baffling names, especially in junior. Giffen Nyren, Aspen Sterzer, Bronson Maschmeyer, Hnat Domenichelli, Keaton Ellerby, Kenton Dulle, Kenric Exner, Moises Gutierrez, Linden Saip, and of course, Jarome Arthur-Leigh Adekunle Tig Junior Elvis Iginla. And those are just from Kamloops.

All on Black has a new favorite as of 07:23 on Feb 21, 2013

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Hormones posted:

-Boy named Griffin

That's an incredibly common surname in my neck of the woods, so it isn't unusual to see it as a first name.

My grandfather's first name was Allison. I think it originated as a male name, but it sure wasn't a popular one. Outside of he and my great-grandfather, I've never encountered another. Both grandpa and his father went by their middle names.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

All on Black posted:

There's a ton of hockey players with absolutely baffling names, especially in junior. Giffen Nyren, Aspen Sterzer, Bronson Maschmeyer, Hnat Domenichelli, Keaton Ellerby, Kenton Dulle, Kenric Exner, Moises Gutierrez, Linden Saip, and of course, Jarome Arthur-Leigh Adekunle Tig Junior Elvis Iginla. And those are just from Kamloops.

Kamloops? I think we've found your problem.

All on Black
Dec 14, 2007

She's not "that Mexican", Mom, she's MY Mexican. And she's...Colombian or something.

Khazar-khum posted:

Oh boy. You're not familiar with Canadian place names are you? That's not even close to the goofiest.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

All on Black posted:

Oh boy. You're not familiar with Canadian place names are you? That's not even close to the goofiest.

It's the city. You know, like saying "Cleveland" or "Des Moines" or...

gently caress it. I hate explaining jokes.

pug wearing a hat
May 29, 2012

please allow me to introduce myself i'm a man of wealth and taste
I will never forget the day I met a guy named Cletus Pickle.

Super chill middle aged guy.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hormones posted:

-Triplets, all girls, named Winter, Summer and Autumn
-Sisters, not triplets, named Lyric, Harmony and Melody

I had an English teacher who used to regale us with stories about a family he knew who had four daughters called Spring, Summer, Autumn and Rachel.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

sweeperbravo posted:

At work we had a client with the last name of Mumdada.

Recently, we also had a Ramroop and Beedoo. I think our appointment list is trying to break into doo-wop.

These sound like nicknames for the offshore guys I work with, who have names like Rambhoopal and Chittibabu.

pope archibald
Jun 20, 2006

:420::350:DABS ALL DAY :350::420:

Hormones posted:

-Boy named Griffin

I had a roommate in college named Griffin Ferry. Nobody would believe that was his name until he showed them his driver's license.

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL

kastein posted:

I knew a dude in college whose girlfriend was named Ophelia. Both of them were spergs of the highest degree.

This is from back a bit, but I'm wondering whats wrong with Ophelia? Is it the -philia part?

PlantRobot
Feb 13, 2010

Tricerapowerbottom posted:

This is from back a bit, but I'm wondering whats wrong with Ophelia? Is it the -philia part?

Well, it's best known for the character that picks flowers, goes insane and then drowns.

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

That's a really dumb reason not to name a little girl a beautiful name like that :rolleyes:

I was with my kids at a playground and met a little boy named Anakin. I asked his parents if it was after Anakin Skywalker and they said yes and I said "Oh, that's nice". Blech

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Khazar-khum posted:

I dunno about those other guys, but Iggy's from Edmonton.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

That's a really dumb reason not to name a little girl a beautiful name like that :rolleyes:

I'd like you to meet my sons, Hamlet and Polonius

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Khazar-khum posted:

Not even close, as already posted. Some other quality town names:
Moose Jaw
Medicine Hat

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

redmercer posted:

I'd like you to meet my sons, Hamlet and Polonius

I almost named my son Hamish :hampants: I really like old fashioned names (obviously), and ended up going with Lemuel for the boy and Odessa for the girl. Lemmy and Dessie :3:

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

I almost named my son Hamish :hampants: I really like old fashioned names (obviously), and ended up going with Lemuel for the boy and Odessa for the girl. Lemmy and Dessie :3:

Those are some pretty awful names, Lemuel may be an old name but it's sound terribly archaic and Odessa makes me think about drunk Ukrainians.

Pump it up! Do it! has a new favorite as of 21:44 on Feb 21, 2013

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Lord Tywin posted:

Those are some pretty awful names, Lemuel may be an old name but it's sound terribly archaic and Odessa makes me think about drunk Ukrainians.

Well, they're in the right thread, then.

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

Mods rename me bad_namegiver

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Dr. Jonny Anomaly just popped up in my newsfeed for publishing an article in The Journal of Medical Ethics, that condemns the war on drugs and suggests the focus should instead be on dealing with mismanagement of antibiotics.

With a name like Dr. Anomaly, you'd think he'd be doing more with his life.

Hormones
May 9, 2009
I dunno who else in here has a crazy name but I am one of those kids who's parents decided their precious angel muffin needed the specialest snowflake name in all the land and I have a ridiculous name that no one can pronounce when reading it, nor spell when I tell them it. I changed my name, at fifteen, in order to be more normal because it's so annoying having a ridiculous name. Just... don't do it to your kid.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

Hormones posted:

I dunno who else in here has a crazy name but I am one of those kids who's parents decided their precious angel muffin needed the specialest snowflake name in all the land and I have a ridiculous name that no one can pronounce when reading it, nor spell when I tell them it. I changed my name, at fifteen, in order to be more normal because it's so annoying having a ridiculous name. Just... don't do it to your kid.

Um please share what name it is otherwise I guess the only possible response is "cool story bro."

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Bonster posted:

Then there were the Barebones. There was a Praise-God Barebone (Barbon), and a Nicholas If-Christ-Had-Not-Died-For-Thee-Thou-Hadst-Been-Damned Barebone.

(Old post, but nevermind)

I was going to mention the Barebones as both father and son were also somewhat important political figures in 17th century England ("Damned Barebone" achieved more lasting fame for his part in the historical development of economic theory, I guess).

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
A hippie lady whose children were in my high school named all her daugters with names ending in "Ette", so it was Anette, Lizette and Cosette (I could be wrong on that last one, but it was another "Ette" name) and their second name was "Paz", Spanish for "Peace" (it was a Spanish speaking country).

Back home, in South America, lower-income and uneducated people tend to gently caress up foreign SOUNDING names, which for some inexplicable reason they want to give to their children. Thus, we get things "Bryatan", "Nikolette", "Gari", "Bairon", "Wachynton" and poo poo like that. Also, a few Shakiras.

EDIT: If anybody is interested (although this might have been mentioned before) the book Freakonomics has a whole chapter dealing with the effects of names on people. Here's an excerpt http://www.freakonomics.com/books/freakonomics/chapter-excerpts/chapter-6/
EDIT 2: The story of "WInner" and "Loser" Lane: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2002-07-31/news/0207310310_1_prep-school-burglary-case-criminal-justice-system
EDIT3: http://rivals.yahoo.com/fau/football/recruiting/player-Yourhighness-Morgan-62642
Yourhighness Morgan

Redrum and Coke has a new favorite as of 15:01 on Feb 22, 2013

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
My family name means, in Finnish, either rehab, a sort of a poisonous plant, or a blackout. There were a pair of Finnish officers fighting in the Winter War named, fittingly, Susitaival (wolf-trail) and Talvela (wintery). Also, Hungarian names sound villanous in Finnish also, the father of a guy I once met came from Hungary and was called "Kalman", meaning "Of Death" in Finnish.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
All the unnecessary sperging about people not knowing Canadian place names ITT, and no one mentions the greatest one of all? Shame.

Also, I'm visiting my parents in the Middle East right now, down the street from the wonderful Indian bakery, Butt Sweet House.

EDIT:

Fleta Mcgurn has a new favorite as of 10:39 on Feb 23, 2013

All on Black
Dec 14, 2007

bringmyfishback posted:

All the unnecessary sperging about people not knowing Canadian place names ITT, and no one mentions the greatest one of all? Shame.

I've always been particularly fond of Moose Factory, Ontario.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I had a dude in a college class named Sarek.

I have no idea if his parents named him after Spock's dad or if it's coincidental.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I know someone with the last name Orefice, pronounced "Or-eh-fee-shay"

Cmdr Tomalak
Aug 13, 2007

How long shall we stare at each other across the Neutral Zone?

All on Black posted:

I've always been particularly fond of Moose Factory, Ontario.

Newfoundland has the best place names. The Arrogant Worms wrote a song about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpycgIlhJXs

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

If we're talking about historical names, my favorite will probably always be Hjalmar Horace Greeley Schacht, Hitler's Minister of Economics, whose parents were apparently interested in 19th-century American progressive politics. Irony!

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Last month, a man brought prescriptions for his newborn twin daughters to the pharmacy I work at. Their names were Aphroditee and Aphrodite, pronounced "afro-deetee" and "afro-dītee". We were beyond confused when the parents became upset with us for spelling one of the twin's names wrong, then when they realised that we had actually assumed that they were the same person, became outraged that we assumed such a thing when it should have been "obvious" that they were two separate people. They also mentioned that the hospital had some similar things a few times during their stay and how annoying it was when it's "clear as day" :shobon:.

We just assumed that the hospital made a spelling error :shrug:.

Oh, and one of my cousins married a Native American (Blackfeet tribe, for those interested), named Sundance Backs Of Many White Horses. Why the gently caress can't I have a cool last name? My last name comes from the Old Irish word for "deceitful" since my ancestors were horsethieves :(.

FAT32 SHAMER has a new favorite as of 07:00 on Mar 5, 2013

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tusen Takk posted:

My last name comes from the Old Irish word for "deceitful" since my ancestors were horsethieves :(.
My last name is Italian for "He/she weans baby animals." Pretty boring. I did, however, go to college with a guy named Christian Blood. Rad.

HEY GUNS has a new favorite as of 07:09 on Mar 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

HEGEL SMOKE A J posted:

I did, however, go to college with a guy named Christian Blood. That was pretty rad.

Reminds me of this song (read the lyrics under the video), I'm rather jealous :swoon:.

Oh yeah, my mum always talks about a kid she went to secondary with named Mark Bates, they used to always call him Master Bates and he apparently turned many shades of red from it.

Edit: A former co-worker named his first kid Kilo with one girl, then a year later, knocked up another girl. They named that kid Graham :stare:.

Edit Two: We were going over the invite list for me and my fiance's wedding, and I remembered "Oh, guys, we need to invite Peter Fashho!" (pronounced Fa'sho, like a rapper says. It's Arabic) and my mum was like "why do we have to invite him 'fo'sho'?". When I explained, she was less confused but was mumbling about being here too long or something :).

Dienes posted:

I worked with a woman named Summer. Her sisters were named Rainy, Breezy, and Sunshine. I met them. Summer named her daughter Canyon Rain.
If you live in Ontario, then you worked with my cousins! Small world!

FAT32 SHAMER has a new favorite as of 07:51 on Mar 5, 2013