Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Does anybody know how to fix YouTube not buffering at all or buffering extremely slowly in the newest stable release for Windows 7 x64? I can watch videos on places like Hulu or even livestreams on Twitch at the highest quality without any issues whatsoever but when I try to watch YouTube at even 240p it takes forever to buffer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ronald Duck
Jun 26, 2005
My mum says I’m cool.
Youtube added a new feature that limits how much a video will buffer ahead and stops the video buffering when paused. I'm not sure if there's any way to work around it.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Ever since I upgraded to Windows 8 Chrome (stable) has been hanging on me. A tab will hang while loading, and get stuck on the spinning cursor. I can't close it or refresh or anything, but I can switch to another tab. Disabling all my extensions fixes the problem, but it seems like enabling any one of them makes it come back. So... I'm confused.

(Also it didn't sync my carefully managed search list :( )

Reposting for the new page. It seems strange that any extension causes problem for me. I'm seriously considering switching to Firefox.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Chick3n posted:

Youtube added a new feature that limits how much a video will buffer ahead and stops the video buffering when paused. I'm not sure if there's any way to work around it.

I'm not at my computer right now, but try Smart Video. The last update was at the end of November, so it might not work anymore, but I used it in the past to help buffer youtube videos.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Chick3n posted:

Great...I'd like to know why I can download poo poo from Steam or akamai at 1.8MB/s but I can't stream a low-quality Youtube video without it stopping in the middle to buffer.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
It's mostly because Youtube sucks. I have 30mbit and it frequently craps out for me too. The funny part is, some high quality streams load faster than low quality on the same video. I think it has to do with the current server streaming the data and if it's bogged down.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Youtube just sucks at not-buffering.

Speaking of Youtube, what's the latest good extension/script for auto setting HD, video size, and other stuff?

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I like to use Youtube Options. It let you do the things you mentioned, along with some other nice stuff to have like disabling auto-play but still allowing it for playlists, or auto-expanding the description or stuff like that. The only downside I've seen so far is that if the video page has an image in the background, like something from a VEVO channel for example, the background's picture gets hosed up.

On another note, I haven't had any problems with .gifs pausing lately. Thanks google.
...thoogle

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.

Thermopyle posted:

Youtube just sucks at not-buffering.

Speaking of Youtube, what's the latest good extension/script for auto setting HD, video size, and other stuff?

Magic Actions for YouTube. It always works without fail and seems to always be up to date.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
I just noticed Chrome give a message when SA went down for a few minutes that said other users were experiencing problems accessing the site. I've never noticed that feature before, but it's pretty handy.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

dpbjinc posted:

I just noticed Chrome give a message when SA went down for a few minutes that said other users were experiencing problems accessing the site. I've never noticed that feature before, but it's pretty handy.
I don't remember when I first saw that, but it's a nice feature. Usually, though, I don't see it because if a page is taking noticeably longer than usual, I go right to https://isup.me, or the longer big brother, https://downforeveryoneorjustme.com.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Oh, so it's not just me? That's very sad. I'm also confused because my roommate's computer which is set up right next to mine that is also running Windows 7 x64 and the latest stable release of Chrome and is plugged into the exact same router works fine :sigh:

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Yeah youtube has been sucking for me for the last couple of days (at least). I thought it was just me. Comforting to know (I suppose) that other people have the same issues.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

The Chromebook Pixel is actually a thing:

http://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/devices/chromebook-pixel

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
...a $1300 Chromebook? What the hell? It's got a nice hi-res touchscreen panel, but it's still a loving CHROMEBOOK.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

That is too bad (the price). I was hoping that it was real for a really nice second machine, but $1300 for Chrome OS isn't going to work for me. Don't really know why it needs a Core i5. I don't know what a realistic price that I would've bought at ($499-$799?), but it isn't $1300.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
It needs a Core i5 to drive that massive display. I don't understand who it's for. You can buy a refurbished retina Macbook Pro for less, or a 1080p ultrabook.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I really want to know what market they thought they were targeting with that

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Gah, this new Chromebook is pointless at this price. If it had a beefed up ARM15 (Quad core with the best GPU) chip, the same ram, and otherwise identical specs, it'd be my ideal machine, for say $600, or $700 with a proper SSD.

I have the current ARM Chromebook, and it's been great performance wise, and totally replaced my iPad. I have put Ubuntu on it though.

I just want the same thing, with a better screen and nicer materials, which the pixel almost was.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Someone on Ars made this point:

quote:

Just to put something in perspective, the cost of 1 TB of Google Drive storage runs at $50/month, so calculating that out to 3 years comes out to $1800 worth of storage for free.

If you take into account the Google Drive storage being given away for free, you're really getting over $3000 worth for the price, and if you were planning on buying 1TB of storage anyway, you'd actually save $600 by buying the Pixel instead.

I guess if I really wanted 1TB of storage, it would make sense. However, that would've been a really interesting sales technique. Need 1TB of storage for 3 years? Pay $1300 and we'll throw in a free Chromebook Pixel as well!

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Silly Burrito posted:

Someone on Ars made this point:

I guess if I really wanted 1TB of storage, it would make sense. However, that would've been a really interesting sales technique. Need 1TB of storage for 3 years? Pay $1300 and we'll throw in a free Chromebook Pixel as well!

I would make a mention of how 1TB of online storage is really lovely for me, but that chromebook isn't available in Canada anyhow. loving Canadian internet :canada:.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Caged posted:

I really want to know what market they thought they were targeting with that

I would presume well to do individuals who are over tired with the tedious nature of updates and security flaws on Windows and OSX, together with not having a nightmare if you destroy or lose it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If it came with some kind of built-in replacement plan for that three years then it would be pretty attractive. If you accidentally run over it with your car then you just take it back to the google store, they hand you a new one, you log in and all your stuff is right where it was on the old broken one.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

The ARM Chromebook is only $250.

Any replacement program would quickly be exploited by no doubt highly novel means. Apple still does not offer AppleCare+ on all its products as it would likely carry a non-insignificant premium.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

wooger posted:

I have the current ARM Chromebook, and it's been great performance wise, and totally replaced my iPad. I have put Ubuntu on it though.
I'm in the market for a laptop to download photos when I'm away from home. I've come close a couple of times to ordering one of those to put Linux on, as it meets my desires of light, respectable battery life and cheap. But that meagre 16GB storage just kills the deal.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer

Pablo Bluth posted:

I'm in the market for a laptop to download photos when I'm away from home. I've come close a couple of times to ordering one of those to put Linux on, as it meets my desires of light, respectable battery life and cheap. But that meagre 16GB storage just kills the deal.

Insert a 64GB SD card.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I'm guessing this is to copy photos from camera to Chromebook to later upload?

Probably more effective to buy more larger SD cards.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
If you get Google Fiber you also get 1 TB on Google drive, of course you have to move to Kansas City to get it right now.

I think Google might be pushing the Pixel a bit too early unless Google has a huge software launch to go with it. I'm also confused with Android and ChromeOS, they are going to bump into each other one of these days and Android will have a huge advantage if they ever get Chrome on Android to work like non-mobile Chrome. Maybe at some point they'll combine Android and ChromeOS and have it work like Ubuntu will work?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Yaos posted:

Maybe at some point they'll combine Android and ChromeOS and have it work like Ubuntu will work?

This would be loving awesome if they pull it off, but it's hard to picture it happening anytime soon when they still haven't managed to completely integrate Hangouts, G+ Messenger, Google Talk, and Google Voice on the mobile platform, despite the first three obviously sharing a backend.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

MrMoo posted:

I'm guessing this is to copy photos from camera to Chromebook to later upload?

Probably more effective to buy more larger SD cards.
Yes it's to backup and review photos from a Canon 7D during four day of photographing brown bears. Based on previous trips, I want 100GB to be absolutely safe of having enough space.

I'd managed to forget the SD slot, I'd been considering an external 2.5" harddrive instead (or perhaps a usb stick). I'd also been considering the Acer chromebook; heavier and with a poorer battery, but a lot cheaper once factoring not having to buy a usb HDD/SD cards. Plus the Samsung's weight gain is significantly reduced if I add the weight of an external HDD.

Decisions.

Resonance
Dec 17, 2002

Don't give me any shit about plumbers, Jan.
Right just updated to the latest stable (25.0.1364.97 m) and web pages are telling me flash is out of date, what's that all about then?

Resonance
Dec 17, 2002

Don't give me any shit about plumbers, Jan.
ah, seems it was the non-bundled version flash overriding the Chrome one. Is the general advice to delete the Windows copy of flash if the only browser you use is Chrome?

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Gherkin Jerkin posted:

Google searches are randomly not loading. Just leaves a new, empty, eternally-loading white page. When the problem pops up it will stall searches typed into the omnibox, right-clicks to search a highlighted word/phrase, and even just typing https://www.google.com

Tracked it down to Adblock (not plus; switched back when subscriptions weren't reliably updating). Turning the extentsion off and on will seem to make Google searches work properly for some time, but then revert to improper behavior, in the same browsing session even. Is it safe to whitelist Google for now? Anyone having this problem?

I've had this issue at home and work, which use different extension sets but both have adblock. Closing the tab sometimes work, or restarting chrome. Whitelisting google seems to be working so far.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Stupid question: So all the apps that are available in the Chrome Webstore, are those apps available for the Chromebook?

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

b0nes posted:

Stupid question: So all the apps that are available in the Chrome Webstore, are those apps available for the Chromebook?
As far as I can tell they are. For tablets and smartphones though there are no extensions for Chrome yet, or I'm just blind.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Resonance posted:

ah, seems it was the non-bundled version flash overriding the Chrome one. Is the general advice to delete the Windows copy of flash if the only browser you use is Chrome?

It's not the worst idea, though I tend to actually disable the Chrome version as the Windows installation always runs faster than the Chrome one. (I'm stuck using 4-5 year old computers, so for whatever reason Chrome's Flash runs terribly.)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Is there a way to access a site with an expired certificate? It doesn't give me the option to continue, though I do have that option in other browsers.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Type "proceed" at the red screen. There won't be any prompt that it's working, it will just take you to the site after you type the word.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Type "proceed" at the red screen. There won't be any prompt that it's working, it will just take you to the site after you type the word.

Oh weird, why not just have that for a button? Looks like their certificate got updated anyway, but thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

actionjackson posted:

Oh weird, why not just have that for a button? Looks like their certificate got updated anyway, but thanks.

Probably so people don't accidentally click it.