Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Crooked Booty posted:

Has your other cat been tested for FeLV yet? He ideally needs to have a negative test at least 30 days from now before you consider introducing another cat.

Sorry about your kitty. FeLV really sucks. :(

Yes, and he's positive, but not by IFA test, so he's not advanced. But in 2 years he hasn't been able to beat the first stage, so we're doubtful he will :(

Shouldn't an FeLV vaccinated kitty be okay? Our cat is really getting agitated at us and when he's not sleeping, he's howling all through the house constantly and is now almost entirely ignoring us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No
Sep 13, 2006

Good idea, I'll try to get the roomies up on that idea. I mean, if we're being real here, it's almost certainly poor Reese, but you can never be 100% sure.

Ugh either way it's not good, cause if it's Reese, that's a death sentence for him. :( My roomie's already paid thousands to keep him alive on a retail worker's salary, and she just couldn't do it a third time.

No good, no good at all.

1up
Jan 4, 2005

5-up

Quote-Unquote posted:

I bought a Da Bird but it hasn't worked as intended... Sampson just looked petrified and hid under the bed for an hour. Whoops. Any other toy recommendations? He loves the laser pointer but I read that you should also use toys that cats can actually 'catch' so they don't get frustrated.

You can try a different lure attachment thingy, if you haven't already, to see if that does anything for Sampson. Of my 3 cats, two will only play with specific lures and one of them will outright hide if her preferred lure isn't being used.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
Well, my cat is dead. I had to have him euthanized. Every treatment involved would cost upwards of a thousand, and nobody would help allay the cost. There was no guarantee any of them would resolve the problem.

To all the rest of you, don't make the same mistake I did. If your cat is not urinating, is straining to urinate and not producing anything, has a noticeably expanded bladder, cries out as if in pain, THIS IS A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. TAKE THEM TO THE loving VET.

The days he spent not eating could have contributed to his death. If your cat is not eating, you must make it eat. Look into Nutri-cal. They sell it at Petsmart.

gently caress this. He was never sick a loving day in his life before a week ago. How can a young, healthy cat go from perfectly well to dead in the span of a week?

Wildeyes fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 21, 2013

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
Sorry to hear that. Yes, it is really important to take in a (particularly male) cat when there are first signs of difficulty urinating or even if you think he looks "constipated" because sometimes people have difficulty distinguishing. The earlier an obstruction is attended to, the better the prognosis is because you have less chance of irreversible damage to the kidneys if the cat hasn't been backed up for a very long time. Plus they're usually easier to clear before they get out of hand, and less expensive to treat.

And this is a thing that mostly tends to affect young adult male cats in this dramatic of a fashion. Female cats can have the signs of painful urination and it's still important to treat them for this, but the males are the ones who are most at risk of having life-threatening complications.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Wildeyes posted:

Well, my cat is dead. I had to have him euthanized. Every treatment involved would cost upwards of a thousand, and nobody would help allay the cost. There was no guarantee any of them would resolve the problem.

To all the rest of you, don't make the same mistake I did. If your cat is not urinating, is straining to urinate and not producing anything, has a noticeably expanded bladder, cries out as if in pain, THIS IS A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. TAKE THEM TO THE loving VET.

The days he spent not eating could have contributed to his death. If your cat is not eating, you must make it eat. Look into Nutri-cal. They sell it at Petsmart.

gently caress this. He was never sick a loving day in his life before a week ago. How can a young, healthy cat go from perfectly well to dead in the span of a week?

:sympathy:

Totally know your feel, buddy. My cat was active and playful and full of energy 3 weeks ago. And without the $1000 we spent on transfusions, he would have been gone just 3 days after being totally normal.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
Sorry to hear about Token. :( I'm sure we will all be a little more vigilant about urinary issues.

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

I just searched this thread for 'pee' and 'urinate' and yeah maybe that warning about blockage and fatty liver stuff should move to the TOP of the op.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

El Gar posted:

I just searched this thread for 'pee' and 'urinate' and yeah maybe that warning about blockage and fatty liver stuff should move to the TOP of the op.

Hell, right at the top should be in big bold text: "IF YOUR CAT IS NOT URINATING, EATING, OR DRINKING, GO TO THE VET, DO NOT ASK THE INTERNET!"

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012

El Gar posted:

Yeah, it is sort of buried under less critical issues like nail trimming. No offense meant to the OP, the information is strong and well organized, but the suggestion to move the *HEY SERIOUSLY YOUR CAT IS IN DIRE TROUBLE* blockage warning is a good one.

Wildeyes, I am so sorry for your sudden loss.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
For some reason I decided to upload some grainy-rear end phone pics of Token. I hope it's not a problem if I post them here. If so, I apologize.

He was a freakin adorable cat. Would go sit in the laps of total strangers. Loved sitting in my lap when I was on the computer, even though it was awkward and uncomfortable for all parties involved. He had the cutest meow.

He was a creepy shower stalker. Actually, I think he just really liked the running water.

Couple months ago, he decided a new package of toilet paper would be fun to play with, so here's the result of that.

He loved jumping all over poo poo, as most cats do.

Well, that's me being a cat lady for probably the last time in my life. Rest in peace, little guy.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

I fixed the OP in memoriam of Token. And yes, I'm pretty sure the cat thread is the place for cat pictures. You can go post in the PYF Cat Pictures thread too, if you feel like taking it on the road.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
Thank you -- it means a lot if I can help somebody else.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
This really sucks. I'm sorry wildeyes. I'm gonna give my cat an extra hug tonight.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
I'm so sorry to hear about your cat. You did your best. :(

Slickdrac posted:

Yes, and he's positive, but not by IFA test, so he's not advanced. But in 2 years he hasn't been able to beat the first stage, so we're doubtful he will :(

Shouldn't an FeLV vaccinated kitty be okay? Our cat is really getting agitated at us and when he's not sleeping, he's howling all through the house constantly and is now almost entirely ignoring us.

If your vet can vaccinate a new cat for the appropriate strains, it should be just fine. My sister has 4 vaccinated cats to accommodate her one positive guy and its been fine at her house for years (aside from the 5 cats thing). Best of luck

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

Huntersoninski posted:

... its been fine at her house for years (aside from the 5 cats thing)

Please don't cat shame.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

El Gar posted:

Please don't cat shame.

I'm really just teasing her. Between her,her husband, and all the kitties,they have a house brimming with personalities :cheeky:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Jet has eaten the tuna. :woop:

A little bit, anyway. He drank a little tuna juice and ate a couple chunks, so he doesn't seem to be dying at least. He has used the litter box, so I hope that means he's ok. Maybe he's just adjusting, but I don't want to chance it.

Dancin Fool
Mar 4, 2009
So my three-month old got into some lily flower pollen (his paws were stained yellow, I cleaned it off but he may have groomed himself). Luckily I googled it and holy poo poo it's toxic so I took him to the emergency within an hour or so. They got him on fluids and charcoal - he looks fine at the moment, eating well and no adverse effects. I'm taking him in for some blood work soon. Anyone have any experience with this? I hope my little buddy will be OK :(

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

Lilies are no joke, the yospos cat thread almost lost a cat named Esteban last November cause of lily ingestion. Hope your cat makes it, glad you caught it early.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error
Here is my issue:

I have a five year old rescue cat named Thaddius. He is neutered, and we got him when he was about two years old from a shelter.

Since we got him, he has been attacking me (there is only me and my husband in the house, no other pets- he is also an indoor only pet). He will be chilling out, with no one interacting with him, then BAM! darting at my face, hands, or feet. I can understand at times when I'm walking and he may be excited or play stalking me, but I get more upset if I'm sitting in bed and he dive-bombs at my face.

He will run if my husband gives a booming "NO!" (most of the time), but the cat ignores me when I do the same. I have splashed water on him, and that seems to make him run away and stop attacking, but I usually have to get to a faucet while he's grabbing my leg and clawing and biting. I've tried carrying a squirt gun, but I can't always have one on me.

I honestly don't know what to do about him. We're thinking about having a baby, and I'm afraid of this kind of behavior if I'm pregnant, or if there's a baby in the home, and I get depressed thinking about not having the cat, as much of a stinker as he is at times.

Is there any way to retrain this? I've asked vets, but not gotten a really good answer- just sort of "it's his temperment".

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Leelee posted:

I've tried carrying a squirt gun, but I can't always have one on me.

How does he react to being blown in the face? My cat hates that. That said, he still does it, even when he knows he's getting a good face-gust

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Leelee posted:

Here is my issue:

I have a five year old rescue cat named Thaddius. He is neutered, and we got him when he was about two years old from a shelter.

Since we got him, he has been attacking me (there is only me and my husband in the house, no other pets- he is also an indoor only pet). He will be chilling out, with no one interacting with him, then BAM! darting at my face, hands, or feet. I can understand at times when I'm walking and he may be excited or play stalking me, but I get more upset if I'm sitting in bed and he dive-bombs at my face.

He will run if my husband gives a booming "NO!" (most of the time), but the cat ignores me when I do the same. I have splashed water on him, and that seems to make him run away and stop attacking, but I usually have to get to a faucet while he's grabbing my leg and clawing and biting. I've tried carrying a squirt gun, but I can't always have one on me.

I honestly don't know what to do about him. We're thinking about having a baby, and I'm afraid of this kind of behavior if I'm pregnant, or if there's a baby in the home, and I get depressed thinking about not having the cat, as much of a stinker as he is at times.

Is there any way to retrain this? I've asked vets, but not gotten a really good answer- just sort of "it's his temperment".
Does he have other toys that he can play with or that you can redirect him to play with instead? Scratching posts? etc?

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

So I have a cat named Rip, we named him after Jack the Ripper because he's a massive rear end in a top hat and liked to claw us as a kitten. When we first got him he did an enormous poop on my bed.

He's a year and a half old now, he's both an indoors and outdoors cat. We keep him in at night and only let him out a few hours a day with a noisy rear end bell, he also likes to climb out back door to try and get out.

Now that I have all that back story out of the way here's what is happening; he usually goes to the bathroom two times a day. Yesterday when he tried to go at mid day he meowed in such pain and licking his backside non-stop, it brought me to tears but I took him to the vet ASAP and the vet couldn't find anything wrong with him. He got everything besides an Xray, even a pinky in the butt to check for sure. :v:

He went to poop that night a midnight and it was big, real chunky. Today it happened the same. During this he did not meow in pain or act different at all.

My question is should I hold food back for a few days and see this if this passes or get him back up to the vet for an Xray? He is pee and poopin' absolutely fine (well when he actually does). We've been keeping him indoors since this started and put down a lot less food.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

KKKlean Energy posted:

How does he react to being blown in the face? My cat hates that. That said, he still does it, even when he knows he's getting a good face-gust

He gets more riled up when I do this unless I uh...spit at him, which is gross. Then he runs. He hates the water.

duckfarts posted:

Does he have other toys that he can play with or that you can redirect him to play with instead? Scratching posts? etc?

I have tried to bring him over to his cat scratch circle toy- you know, the one with the ball in it? He loves that thing. I've gone over and clawed it myself to try to redirect him, but it's probably only worked 1% of the time. Mostly he gets a time out in the other room with me trying to carry him so I don't get clawed (doesn't always work, and I'm afraid to be rough- I think that at 11 lbs he's too heavy to grab by the scruff).

I'm scared to have little kids over as he dashed over at a two year old and tried to attack him because he liked how active he was. This cat. He's actually really friendly most of the time to other people and bold as can be, but when he acts out, he's mean.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Spudd posted:

So I have a cat named Rip, we named him after Jack the Ripper because he's a massive rear end in a top hat and liked to claw us as a kitten. When we first got him he did an enormous poop on my bed.

He's a year and a half old now, he's both an indoors and outdoors cat. We keep him in at night and only let him out a few hours a day with a noisy rear end bell, he also likes to climb out back door to try and get out.

Now that I have all that back story out of the way here's what is happening; he usually goes to the bathroom two times a day. Yesterday when he tried to go at mid day he meowed in such pain and licking his backside non-stop, it brought me to tears but I took him to the vet ASAP and the vet couldn't find anything wrong with him. He got everything besides an Xray, even a pinky in the butt to check for sure. :v:

He went to poop that night a midnight and it was big, real chunky. Today it happened the same. During this he did not meow in pain or act different at all.

My question is should I hold food back for a few days and see this if this passes or get him back up to the vet for an Xray? He is pee and poopin' absolutely fine (well when he actually does). We've been keeping him indoors since this started and put down a lot less food.

Do you feed him wet or dry food? Do you watch him while he's outside? Does he eat random things out there. If he's been going, then I'd say treat him normally, mention the look of his poo to your vet in case they have any insight, and see if it clears up or he has trouble again.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Slickdrac posted:

Do you feed him wet or dry food? Do you watch him while he's outside? Does he eat random things out there. If he's been going, then I'd say treat him normally, mention the look of his poo to your vet in case they have any insight, and see if it clears up or he has trouble again.

He eats both and no we don't watch him he always hangs around out the back or in the neighbors yard. He eats bugs, we're Australian there are bugs literally everywhere all the time. Alright, it just hurts you know? I can't do anything to help him. :smith:

Ma and I are gonna change how we treat the cat now.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Leelee posted:

I have tried to bring him over to his cat scratch circle toy- you know, the one with the ball in it? He loves that thing. I've gone over and clawed it myself to try to redirect him, but it's probably only worked 1% of the time. Mostly he gets a time out in the other room with me trying to carry him so I don't get clawed (doesn't always work, and I'm afraid to be rough- I think that at 11 lbs he's too heavy to grab by the scruff).
Have you tried other toys? Ones that he can grab and get his paws around and rabbit kick the gently caress out of? You need to not only provide a deterrent for the current behavior(water spray), but also provide sufficient alternatives at the same time. I don't think the scratch circle provides the same kind of outlet as another kind of toy might.

Other than that, maybe you could try some citrus scent spray(they smell a lot better than the standard deterrent sprays) on your socks or something, maybe double sided tape?

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Leelee posted:

He gets more riled up when I do this unless I uh...spit at him, which is gross. Then he runs. He hates the water.

I'm scared to have little kids over as he dashed over at a two year old and tried to attack him because he liked how active he was. This cat. He's actually really friendly most of the time to other people and bold as can be, but when he acts out, he's mean.

That circle toy is a distraction toy and by no means an energy burner. His attention And energy is focused on you. You should try a chase toy, something-on-a-stick to get him to run his little rear end off. If you can spare at least 30 minutes i'd try that route.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

That circle toy is a distraction toy and by no means an energy burner. His attention And energy is focused on you. You should try a chase toy, something-on-a-stick to get him to run his little rear end off. If you can spare at least 30 minutes i'd try that route.

Or better, since cats have more energy than you do, laser pointer.

The answer is always laser pointer

vvvvv-Two laser pointers then

Slickdrac fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 22, 2013

Shaded
Dec 31, 2012

Slickdrac posted:

Or better, since cats have more energy than you do, laser pointer.

The answer is always laser pointer

laser pointer works, but unfortunately I have a 110lb german shepherd that loves it as well. Other that the massive stampede of cat and dog racing across the house and crashing into/destroying poo poo, it does wear them out.

Bogwoppit
Feb 9, 2012

"Dirty little bin-goblin."

marshmallard posted:

What happened at the vet? Witchkin sounds a lot like my Grumples and I'd definitely be worried if he changed behaviour like that.

The vet gave him a thorough exam and said that it's likely he's just hit adulthood, and is reacting to our Winter like an adult rather than a hyper kitten (lots of naps instead of constant patrolling). The sitting away from me could be a reaction to the new kitten being over spoiled, so we're gonna make an effort to include Witchkin on the sofa every night rather than letting him watch sadly from a distance.

He's huge, healthy, has great teeth, and happily not even dehydrated from sleeping on the radiator for days on end. I'm so relieved.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Leelee posted:

Mostly he gets a time out in the other room with me trying to carry him so I don't get clawed (doesn't always work, and I'm afraid to be rough- I think that at 11 lbs he's too heavy to grab by the scruff).

Scruff him and grab his back feet with your free hand. Carry him with his weight on his feet. I've had to handle an angry 18-lb cat this way, it'll work fine for him.

Frequent nail trims and softpaws will make it easier for you to avoid injury when you need to manhandle him.

I would also increase the amount of play time he gets, not just redirecting when he's decided you're the play-toy. If you're short on time to wear him out, try feeding him in a puzzle cube or getting one of those automatic laser cat toys.

Engineer Lenk fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 22, 2013

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So the shelter I adopted Jet from neglected to mention that he has a heart murmur. What is the quality of life for a cat with a "level 3" murmur? Anyone have experience with this?

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

Pollyanna posted:

So the shelter I adopted Jet from neglected to mention that he has a heart murmur. What is the quality of life for a cat with a "level 3" murmur? Anyone have experience with this?

I'm not an expert on this, but my cat (who was from a shelter) also has a heart murmur. The vet who initially listened to his heart described it as "severe" and told us to go to the cardiologist. We did this, and were told by the cardiologist that his heart murmur gets severe when he is stressed, (like at the vet), but is negligible when he's calm. He has the murmur, but it's just the way his body is made and is not interfering with his health in any way at the moment.

From reading online, the "level" of heart murmur and what is actually wrong with the cat may vary, and I think you need the echocardiogram to actually pinpoint this. It's expensive though.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It would be one thing if he was otherwise alright, and he generally is, but his lack of interest in food coupled with the heart murmur worries me. And yeah, he is still not eating.

Stratafyre
Apr 3, 2009

:stare: :supaburn: :j:
I just found out that my cat has had a recurrence of fibrosarcoma, extending down between her ribs. She had a mass removed last year, and apparently we're looking at a best case scenario of a year before another recurrence, and that's after very invasive surgery and chemotherapy.

:( I work on a ship, and there's a very good chance I won't even get back ashore until it's too late.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

I need some advice convincing my cat to be less of an rear end in a top hat.

In October I lost one of my cats, and my remaining cat (Catface) was miserable. After a month or so I adopted a buddy for her in an attempt to cheer her up. The new cat, Gilbert, is great, except that he loves trying to play with Catface. Constantly. Even when she's hissing and spitting and freaking out at him. He just doesn't understand that she doesn't want to play with him. He never tries to actually hurt her- he just thinks they're having a grand old time playing together. At one point around Christmas Catface got so stressed out from being chased all the time that she had diarrhea for like 4 days (she's fine now).

At the moment, I'm unemployed and around all the time so I can pretty much break up any "playtimes" before they get too bad. Catface is totally fine with Gilbert when he's leaving her alone, but as soon as he starts trying to play I have to chase him off or he just won't stop.

There's a chance that I'll be getting a job/moving in the next month or so, though, so this constant monitoring of cat interactions won't be an option anymore. If I can't find a solution, I'll probably end up giving Gilbert to my parents and just taking Catface. This is a fine solution, but I'd much rather take Gilbert with me if I can find a way to have them coexist.

Info on Gilbert: he's about 2-3 years old, which I know is still young enough to just be an rear end in a top hat kitten. However, he loves the poo poo out of Da Bird and I play with him until he is exhausted literally every day. He's never too tired to leave Catface completely alone, though. He does have another cat playmate, my parents' cat Noel (I'm living with parents until I can find a job). Noel and Gilbert get along great, but Gilbert would much rather torment Catface than play with Noel for some reason.

tl;dr how do I make my one cat less of a target for my other cat?

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Augh drat it Theodore why are you covered in tons of loose fur and dandruff. My poor carpet+bed+furniture. :smith:

Maybe he's dehydrated? I guess I could start adding water to his dry food again. I'm not sure what else to do.

At least he loves being brushed, but I'm tempted to look into a better brush design because the one I have is really obnoxious to clean. Suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Reene posted:

Augh drat it Theodore why are you covered in tons of loose fur and dandruff. My poor carpet+bed+furniture. :smith:

Maybe he's dehydrated? I guess I could start adding water to his dry food again. I'm not sure what else to do.

At least he loves being brushed, but I'm tempted to look into a better brush design because the one I have is really obnoxious to clean. Suggestions?

Furminator/furminator clone or shedding blade/loop are the best for most cats, then maybe slicker brushes, then combs and dematting blades for longhairs and special cases.