Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Pew! Pew! posted:

I don't quite get it myself. It's like "I'd pet it but I don't want it in my house". :shrug: I've been around super friendly bulldogs and pugs that were therapy dogs when I was in a hospital years ago. I preferred playing with them instead of goldies and labs that were also there because at that time I was a little scared of big dogs.

So it's more because I associate them with the awesome brachy therapy dogs I got to see that were super friendly. That and because UGA FOOTBALL SPORTS

I don't get it either. Looking at Frankie makes me legit sad. I think most people are just completely unaware of the health problems inherent in not having a face. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Are you trying to tell me this stunning beast is ugly?

He has the biggest underbite I've ever seen, constantly tries to hump every dog and person, and is so sensitive he practically can't eat anything without exploding.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
The Boston at my work is one of the most fun little dogs I've ever met. He loves swimming, wrestling and chasing dachshunds. He even copes pretty well in the heat although he has a bit of a face. Little dude plays like a dog four times his size so the others kind of hate him, but he gets wrecked if he comes on big dog day.

'Somehow' his tail is docked even though it's illegal here. I wish he had a little waggy nubbin but it's so short it doesn't wag at all.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Radio! posted:

Instant Jellyfish, are you going to start another thread when it is time for baby sheeps/goats? I hope you are, the last one was great. :3:

Yes! I'll probably post it in about 3 weeks. In the next couple of weeks I'll be building new lambing jugs, buying a new lamb cam, and writing up some basic info for the thread so it will be ready to go when the girls are. March gets crazy with shearing/vaccinating/hoof trimming and generally making sure everyone is healthy enough to give birth safely, then lambs can come any time after the last March 27th.

This year I'm doing my annual shearing festival differently and making it a general spring festival that will happen after most of the lambs and kids are here because that's all anyone wants to see anyway. That will be April 27th I think if any local (NE OH) goons want to come by and be awkward. I'll be shearing Dennis the most chill ram in the world, there will be baby animals to snuggle, and I think there will be some spinning, natural dyeing, and wool preparation demos. If the animals all decide to give birth on Saturdays again this year you may even get to witness the ~miracle of life~*.

Everyone really just wants to snuggle babies though.

*miracle of life may be more gooey and horrifying than anticipated.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Skizzles posted:

Are you trying to tell me this stunning beast is ugly?

He has the biggest underbite I've ever seen, constantly tries to hump every dog and person, and is so sensitive he practically can't eat anything without exploding.

It's like he has a shovel for a lower jaw. :allears:

A magnificent beast!

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Speaking of trainwrecks, this is Chesty:

He's nine weeks old, and will become the new Marine Corps mascot at the end of March, when the current Chesty retires. I can practically smell the yeast from here.

I attended a Marine Corps basic training graduation last August and cringed to watch the Parris Island bulldog waddle across the parade ground in the heat. He's only a couple of years old and already looks arthritic. I know the previous Parris Island dog, Hummer, died in his sleep at age 5 in 2011.

:(

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Triangulum posted:

The snorting gremlin noises pugs make while doing incredibly streneuous things like walking slowly freak me the gently caress out.
:stare:

A friend of mine has like four pugs...it's weird. Whatever. Only one of them isn't a disgusting grease ball that I actually enjoy snuggling and holding.

My dog Ned is freaked the gently caress out by them. He spent a few hours around the oldest one while at a pet therapy for old folks and he wouldn't go near the pug because of her constant snorting. He is okay with other dogs but generally doesn't pay them much attention, just a quick sniff then ignores them to say hi to people. But her...he just wanted nothing to do with that mess of whatever it was. I'm not sure he even realized it was another dog. He kept looking over at her nervously and trying to make sure he was always at least 5 feet away.

a life less posted:

Anyways, my husband left the house for a bit, leaving a package of tea biscuits on the coffee table. Inevitably, Mega got into them. Apparently she gorged on them, and when my husband got home she grabbed a biscuit in her mouth, walked it up to him and laid it down in front of him.

Awww, that part is really adorable. :3:

Instant Jellyfish posted:

That will be April 27th I think if any local (NE OH) goons want to come by and be awkward. I'll be shearing Dennis the most chill ram in the world, there will be baby animals to snuggle, and I think there will be some spinning, natural dyeing, and wool preparation demos. If the animals all decide to give birth on Saturdays again this year you may even get to witness the ~miracle of life~*.

One of these years I'll make the couple hour trip out to you, I would love nothing more then to snuggle the hell out of some baby lambs and goats!

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Greycious posted:

A friend of mine has like four pugs...it's weird. Whatever. Only one of them isn't a disgusting grease ball that I actually enjoy snuggling and holding.

My dog Ned is freaked the gently caress out by them. He spent a few hours around the oldest one while at a pet therapy for old folks and he wouldn't go near the pug because of her constant snorting. He is okay with other dogs but generally doesn't pay them much attention, just a quick sniff then ignores them to say hi to people. But her...he just wanted nothing to do with that mess of whatever it was. I'm not sure he even realized it was another dog. He kept looking over at her nervously and trying to make sure he was always at least 5 feet away.

lol my cat who generally likes dogs was completely freaked out and offended by the presence of a visiting pug once.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Welp. My coworker's dog (the one who only eats raw chicken/ground beef) has started puking everywhere and having diarrhea everywhere and has been limping. Maybe she'll actually take him to the vet and get yelled at over his diet :shrug:

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Welp. My coworker's dog (the one who only eats raw chicken/ground beef) has started puking everywhere and having diarrhea everywhere and has been limping. Maybe she'll actually take him to the vet and get yelled at over his diet :shrug:

:iiam: Perhaps poo ghosts strike again! I hope the vet can talk some sense into your coworker.

Also pugs suck but Feldman rules. :colbert:

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

if any local (NE OH) goons want to come by and be awkward

:ninja:

PI field trip?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oh, hey, what? I'm practically NE OH. Whereabouts, more specifically? Like, Cleveland is only a couple hours away, and I could totally use an excuse to wander down that way, too, as there's some stuff around Cleveland and Akron that I need to do.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Bad Munki posted:

Oh, hey, what? I'm practically NE OH. Whereabouts, more specifically? Like, Cleveland is only a couple hours away, and I could totally use an excuse to wander down that way, too, as there's some stuff around Cleveland and Akron that I need to do.

I'm near Conneaut and Ashtabula so closer to Erie than Cleveland. It's really, really far NE OH. I'd say there's stuff around here to do but there really isn't unless you want to buy stuff from the Amish. I'm pretty much right off 90 though so if you wanted to stop by and cuddle some sheep on your way to Cleveland you'd be welcome! I'm still working out the exact time because my dad wants to bring his band out to play and they all have weird schedules. It will probably be 11-3 or 4 on April 27th but I'll update people closer to the date if people are interested.

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

Greycious posted:

Sitka rather emphatically does Not Approve of most small dogs but pugs get her to do the malamute 'what the gently caress is that' woof. Which is this very distinctive sort of bark/woo-woo noise that manages to convey the idea that she 1) doesn't know what it is, 2) isn't sure she likes it, and 3) needs a human right now. (So I think this woof is hysterical)

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I'm near Conneaut and Ashtabula so closer to Erie than Cleveland. It's really, really far NE OH. I'd say there's stuff around here to do but there really isn't unless you want to buy stuff from the Amish. I'm pretty much right off 90 though so if you wanted to stop by and cuddle some sheep on your way to Cleveland you'd be welcome! I'm still working out the exact time because my dad wants to bring his band out to play and they all have weird schedules. It will probably be 11-3 or 4 on April 27th but I'll update people closer to the date if people are interested.
I am super interested, that's less than an hour from here! I mean, it's like an easy day trip, that'd be awesome, I want to see baby animals and I bet my daughter, who will be a year and a month, will at least find it bizarre and intriguing, if not outright terrifying. :3:

Can you give me some details on the event that I can give to my wife? Strangely, she's actually available that day, so we're totally interested, I just have no idea what to expect. Is this like a big thing where all sorts of folks come by, or is this more a family thing that I'd be totally weird about crashing? Am I supposed to wear a badge warning people that I'm from the internet or anything? :ohdear:

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

IANAL, but he really should have written Bad Man first.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Bad Munki posted:

I am super interested, that's less than an hour from here! I mean, it's like an easy day trip, that'd be awesome, I want to see baby animals and I bet my daughter, who will be a year and a month, will at least find it bizarre and intriguing, if not outright terrifying. :3:

Can you give me some details on the event that I can give to my wife? Strangely, she's actually available that day, so we're totally interested, I just have no idea what to expect. Is this like a big thing where all sorts of folks come by, or is this more a family thing that I'd be totally weird about crashing? Am I supposed to wear a badge warning people that I'm from the internet or anything? :ohdear:

Oh no, it's a big open house. Well, big for a small farm. The public is totally welcome and encouraged. Every year my family and I invite the public to the farm to learn about wool and sheep and things. We do demos and pass out carrots to the animals and serve snacks and have a little farm store set up (don't feel pressured to buy anything!) and just answer a ton of questions from people. Usually it's my neighbors, my parent's neighbors, distant relations, people from my parent's church, and members of various spinning and weaving groups but its been growing every year. We've had goons out before and its not weird unless you make it weird. My mom thinks it's cute when "internet friends" come to the farm or buy stuff from us at shows. There will be more details and I think pictures from last year on the farm's facebook page if you do the facebook thing.

Babies tend to be either really excited about the sheep or really terrified. Most little ones think they are some sort of dog and are sort of in awe of the things growing out of their heads.

vvv I'll post directions and my address closer to the time. I think its on my website which should be linked to the facebook too. vvv

Instant Jellyfish fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Feb 21, 2013

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Well that all sounds really awesome, and I'll be there, family in tow! :woop:

e: Totally just liked your Facebook page.

Oh, also, how do I get specific directions? I mean, I don't expect you to post your address on here, but I'll need something when the time comes. ;)

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Feb 21, 2013

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Psyche + pretzel = fail

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

vvv I'll post directions and my address closer to the time. I think its on my website which should be linked to the facebook too. vvv

Oh! I found it, thanks. Less than an hour from my house! So excited. :v:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Bad Munki posted:

Oh! I found it, thanks. Less than an hour from my house! So excited. :v:

Awesome! Now we all just have to wait until those lambs bake for another 5 weeks. If the weather is nice enough afterwards you should visit the exciting Linesville spillway, "Where Ducks Walk On Fish!". It is the one thing to do in my area and its the perfect combination of horrifying and fascinating that really sums up the whole Ashtabula county experience.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Greycious posted:

My dog has decided that all brachycephalic dogs are the worst things ever and he barks his head off if they come anywhere near him. This was particularly interesting at the small dog off-leash area on a boston terrier meetup day. I've seen him react to frenchies, bostons, one affenpinscher, and pugs in exactly the same way.

E: We've never encountered a tribble peke, but I'd be interested if he had the same reaction, since most of the other flat-faced dogs are slightly more energetic than decorative.

Engineer Lenk fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Feb 21, 2013

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Engineer Lenk posted:

E: We've never encountered a tribble peke, but I'd be interested if he had the same reaction, since most of the other flat-faced dogs are slightly more energetic than decorative.

Major flipped the gently caress out at a peke in full show coat at the vet once. He was ok once he realized it was just a weird dog making weird noises and not some terrible monster.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I tried to show my coworker that article on raw food diets and she said she did "tons of research" and maintains that feeding only meat is totally ok. She's taking her dog to the vet tomorrow because she thinks he broke his foot. Because a dog's foot randomly breaking is completely normal.

Whatever. I tried. I still feel bad for the poor pooch.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta
Man my family's pug was the opposite of the dog that I wanted and I definitely gave my parents :stare: face when they brought her home and told me that she was our new dog, but she hung out with tons of dogs and they never gave her a second glance. I've never even heard of that being an issue. (Even though she creepily wheezed like an emphysema patient 24/7.)

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Add Cohen to the list of dogs who have issues with flat faces. The noises seem to freak her out. She used to be highly reactive against pugs specifically, and to a lesser extent boxers and bulldogs. Now she can at least work around them, but she's still pretty nervous.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Lola has never seen a pug or boston irl but all boxers are her sworn, lifelong enemies.

Jess is an equal opportunities hater. I don't think she really cares as long as she can start a fight with it.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I tried to show my coworker that article on raw food diets and she said she did "tons of research" and maintains that feeding only meat is totally ok. She's taking her dog to the vet tomorrow because she thinks he broke his foot. Because a dog's foot randomly breaking is completely normal.

Whatever. I tried. I still feel bad for the poor pooch.

Really hope that dog doesn't die because of her wow. Hopefully she mentions her horrible idea of a diet to the vet so he'll tear her a new one.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

A guy who lives near me has a pug that occasionally makes weird barking sounds at Bailey. He looks around and then stares at the pug like, "Did you make that loving noise?" because he can't figure out where else it may have come from.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

You missed the best part..

quote:

But it seems the joke report may have consequences as the force is now being looked at.

‘The matter will be investigated,’ DCI Julian Harper, from West Midlands Police, told Huffington Post UK.

‘The Professional Standards Department are looking into this, early enquiries suggest it is a light-hearted exchange as a result of a misunderstanding around a police dog and a police officer.’

I guess most English people have their sense of humor surgically removed at a young age.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Kerfuffle posted:

Really hope that dog doesn't die because of her wow. Hopefully she mentions her horrible idea of a diet to the vet so he'll tear her a new one.

Bottom line is she wants to feed her dog as cheaply as possible with a minimum of effort. This means selectively reading online articles and picking and choosing which parts to listen to, because in her words "preparing vegetables to add to his food takes too much time".

If you can't afford to provide your dog with the most basic nutritional needs (monetarily or time), maybe you shouldn't have a dog.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
I would never tell somebody they're doing something wrong with their pet. I find it's touchier than religion or politics, any criticism is likely to just make them dig in.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Ikantski posted:

I would never tell somebody they're doing something wrong with their pet. I find it's touchier than religion or politics, any criticism is likely to just make them dig in.

I've found the best way to deal with the other crazy sheep people who feel the same way about advice is to just go "Oh I heard such and such so that's what I've been doing and it's been working well" or "I tried that and had x problem so I do y now". Any way to make it seem like I'm judging myself and not them.

If one more person goes tells me they don't understand why they are having lambs so early my head is going to explode. Turns out if you put boys and girls together, 5 months later you get babies! If you don't want babies in January or February, keep boys away until at least mid-October. Plan ahead folks.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Kerfuffle posted:

Animals not getting enough calcium in their diet have pretty characteristic radiographs when radiographing the fracture, and the vet will probably know what caused it anyways when they ask about the diet. The ACVR just had a cool one on their FB page that was caused by an improperly balanced raw diet, which is a pretty big contrast to the normal one on the right in that picture.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

VVV The middle one.

Fraction fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 21, 2013

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

:ohdear: Tumor, tongue or bottom lip? If it was anything but a rat I would assume the last.

E: ^^^^ :3: Oh my goodness, that's adorable.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 21, 2013

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I've found the best way to deal with the other crazy sheep people who feel the same way about advice is to just go "Oh I heard such and such so that's what I've been doing and it's been working well" or "I tried that and had x problem so I do y now". Any way to make it seem like I'm judging myself and not them.

If one more person goes tells me they don't understand why they are having lambs so early my head is going to explode. Turns out if you put boys and girls together, 5 months later you get babies! If you don't want babies in January or February, keep boys away until at least mid-October. Plan ahead folks.

I approached it as "hey I was researching raw food diets and saw that a lot of vets recommend adding vegetables", I wasn't accusing her of being a bad pet owner or anything. She's usually pretty receptive to suggestions and research on dog food so I was a little taken aback by her strong defense of meat only. I've been contemplating doing raw food (properly) for my dogs, so it wasn't totally out of left field to bring it up either.

It doesn't help that she's the self-proclaimed "dog person" of the office and because I've only had my boys for less than a year clearly I know nothing.

I can hold out hope that her vet beats some sense into her.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

It's not that her dog's diet is lacking veggies. It's that the dog's diet is lacking anything but poultry muscle meat. If the dog was eating whole chickens it'd probably be better off.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Eww, but that other stuff is, like, gross. :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

"I cannot allow you to continue cataloging your comic books. Biscuits must be made."

e: "Fine, you may continue, but I'm going to play in the lid to your longbox and slide it across the floor when you least expect it to startle you."

Flaccid Trip fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 21, 2013

• Locked thread