Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
BRT with bus lanes sound like a fine idea but I'm not sure why they're incompatible with buses on regular aveues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Mandalay posted:

BRT with bus lanes sound like a fine idea but I'm not sure why they're incompatible with buses on regular aveues.

Call me a cynic but my bet it's just to ensure that the operator is guaranteed a return due to their monopoly position. Is that near the mark?

Also, I came across this article which might be of interest to people here. Boston used (anonymised) cellphone tracking data to investigate traffic patterns in Boston and how the jams in that city forms:
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/02/cell-phone-tracking-system-reveals-how-traffic-jams-start/

Turns out a small number of journeys from certain areas cause congestion at key nodes which then causes the issue to spread. In theory re-reouting these journeys would have an outsized effect as far as congection relief goes.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Munin posted:

Also, I came across this article which might be of interest to people here. Boston used (anonymised) cellphone tracking data to investigate traffic patterns in Boston and how the jams in that city forms:
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/02/cell-phone-tracking-system-reveals-how-traffic-jams-start/

That data isn't anonymised at all, they tracked people leaving their hose and going to work. And no one seems to realize that.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Terminal Entropy posted:

That data isn't anonymised at all, they tracked people leaving their hose and going to work. And no one seems to realize that.

To be fair, cell tower location data isn't all too precise. If you have my cell information, you might have a square kilometer where I live, and a square kilometer where I work, but you won't have an accurate location without additional information. It's not GREAT anonymity, but it's not like they can say "This call here started at 751 Jerk Road and ended at 1 Porkbarrel Plaza" with any sort of confidence.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Terminal Entropy posted:

I don't think you understand what anonymized means in this context.

This isn't "noone realizes that" it's the scientific practice.

Volmarias posted:

To be fair, cell tower location data isn't all too precise. If you have my cell information, you might have a square kilometer where I live, and a square kilometer where I work, but you won't have an accurate location without additional information. It's not GREAT anonymity, but it's not like they can say "This call here started at 751 Jerk Road and ended at 1 Porkbarrel Plaza" with any sort of confidence.

Even if you had the original addresses listed, it wouldn't tell you what specific person took that route either.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Volmarias posted:

http://www.zeit.de/datenschutz/malte-spitz-data-retention

"Green party politician Malte Spitz sued to have German telecoms giant Deutsche Telekom hand over six months of his phone data that he then made available to ZEIT ONLINE. We combined this geolocation data with information relating to his life as a politician, such as Twitter feeds, blog entries and websites, all of which is all freely available on the internet.

By pushing the play button, you will set off on a trip through Malte Spitz's life. The speed controller allows you to adjust how fast you travel, the pause button will let you stop at interesting points. In addition, a calendar at the bottom shows when he was in a particular location and can be used to jump to a specific time period. Each column corresponds to one day."

Cell phone tower data is pretty drat accurate. Combine it with other information and it gets really creepy really fast.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Yes, but it wouldn't be difficult to anonymize it further before handing it over to third parties.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

So, I regularly have to drive through this clusterfuck.

It's actually not too bad in terms of flow through the junction (except for people who want to go A34(S) to A303(E)), but there are regular accidents. All the minor roads randomly stuck in there don't help, and neither do the steep gradients (not easy to see, but the A30 goes under the A34, so you go through the height of two road bridges in about 500 feet going through the A303 exits). How would you go about fixing this?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

El Chingon posted:

The current government is implementing a public transportation system named METROBUS,
[...]

Many people here think that it was a terrible idea because it takes one lane off from the standard 3 on each direction, so cars have only 2 lanes to work with, and that this system is always overcrowded at peak hours, so it is normal to wait for the 3rd of 4th bus to arrive to finally get in.
[...]

Is this really viable for a large city like Mexico City? I know I'm not giving much information on this but maybe you have seen this system work on another large city.

Istanbul (one of the worst traffic situations in Europe) recently implemented this system, and are also incidentally calling it Metrobus. I've not used it, but people I asked when I was there seemed to think it was a pretty nice stopgap replacement for a subway line (which will never come). It seemed common for people to have to change between the Metrobus trunk line and local lines to get where they were going, or walk some way.

Edit: Here is a major Metrobus interchange stop. I was staying in a hotel overlooking it, and the buses seemed to run on a frequent schedule.
http://goo.gl/maps/xM319

Of course, if the buses are overcrowded, they need to add more buses, but that shouldn't be a problem, right?

Regarding lanes, the point is obviously to make sure the buses run faster than traffic, and punctually, to encourage commuters to take the bus, thus reducing traffic on the highway, so the remaining lanes should be enough. Whether that will work is a different story, but I can totally sympathize with the intent, particularly in Mexico City's overloaded traffic.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Feb 19, 2013

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Istanbul (one of the worst traffic situations in Europe) recently implemented this system, and are also incidentally calling it Metrobus. I've not used it, but people I asked when I was there seemed to think it was a pretty nice stopgap replacement for a subway line (which will never come). It seemed common for people to have to change between the Metrobus trunk line and local lines to get where they were going, or walk some way.

Edit: Here is a major Metrobus interchange stop. I was staying in a hotel overlooking it, and the buses seemed to run on a frequent schedule.

Of course, if the buses are overcrowded, they need to add more buses, but that shouldn't be a problem, right?

Regarding lanes, the point is obviously to make sure the buses run faster than traffic, and punctually, to encourage commuters to take the bus, thus reducing traffic on the highway, so the remaining lanes should be enough. Whether that will work is a different story, but I can totally sympathize with the intent, particularly in Mexico City's overloaded traffic.

A friend living in Istanbul told me the same thing. Maybe it is for the best. I can't think of many ways to improve the traffic situation. It's so easy to buy a car here in Mexico compared to other countries (cheap gas also helps) that this kind of problems were expected to happen and only now the government is realizing that a good public transport network is the only way to force people to leave their cars at home.

I also wonder if different nations/culture react different to traffic. I really thought we were one of the worst drivers in the world until I visited China, they are crazy drivers although their city/transit planning is way better than ours.

nozz
Jan 27, 2007

proficient pringle eater

Wolfsbane posted:

It's actually not too bad in terms of flow through the junction (except for people who want to go A34(S) to A303(E)), but there are regular accidents. All the minor roads randomly stuck in there don't help, and neither do the steep gradients (not easy to see, but the A30 goes under the A34, so you go through the height of two road bridges in about 500 feet going through the A303 exits). How would you go about fixing this?

By the way, the reason for this clusterfuck is that this used to be a roundabout interchange. They then tried to make it some sort of quasi free flowing monster in the 80s while using as much of the existing roundabout as possible. The A30 to the south is just a left over of the old A34 before it was turned into a proper long distance road, but it remains to give access to a village to the south which is now bypassed by the A34. Additionally in the middle is what used to be (until relatively recently) a pub, which the design also tried to keep access to from all directions. A dedicated slip road from A303(W) to A34(S) tunneling under everything would probably sort most of the problems out because most traffic flow here is to and from the south and the west. There are much better routes for long distance traffic when travelling between any other of the other directions that avoid this junction. The slip hasn't been built though because it would be far too expensive, and this isn't quite an important enough junction for anyone to bother.

Edit: the cottages to the west (off the image) are another reason for this design so that they would still have access to everything without having a direct interchange with the dual carriageway. The entire thing was just a really cheap way to tick all the boxes.

Edit 2: And if you want to know the full history, originally before either road was dualled this was just a crossroads. The eastern side of what used to be the roundabout was the original A34, explaining the position of the pub, and the A303 followed the same alignment as it does today.

Edit 3: Apparently it wasn't just cheapness; this layout was also chosen to ensure that the junction didn't take up any more land. There was a general resistance to road building around here at the time. I'm not 100% sure if the A34(N) to A303(W) slip road is actually original to the redesign, since you don't need it to make that movement.

nozz fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 19, 2013

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

El Chingon posted:

I also wonder if different nations/culture react different to traffic. I really thought we were one of the worst drivers in the world until I visited China, they are crazy drivers although their city/transit planning is way better than ours.

Speaking of Istanbul, I would nominate their taxi drivers to be some of the worst (& bravest) in the world. Out of maybe 20 taxi trips there, I've been scared shitless for at least half.

And speaking of Chinese drivers, it's never too soon to re-read this brilliant blog post:
http://soimgoingtochina.blogspot.se/2007/06/beijing-traffic-lesson-left-turn.html

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD
Sorry I haven't posted in a few days; I've been rather ill.

Jeoh posted:

Some pretty cool research done in Massachusetts. It's not just bad things there!!
Understanding Road Usage Patterns in Urban Areas

It's interesting to see roads classified two-dimensionally like that. The traditional model has a single axis: mobility on one end, and access on the other.

El Chingon posted:

I've just gotten into this thread and I don't know if you guys can help me with one doubt I've had for a long time. Sorry if this has been asked before.

I'm currently living in Mexico City, one of the largest/crowded cities in the world and all that poo poo. The current government is implementing a public transportation system named METROBUS, which is basically get rid of all the public buses in the most used avuenues in the city (usually very large ones that go from North-South, East-West) and replace it with a very large two cart bus that has one lane exclusively assigned to it on each direction. It has designed stops and is eco-friendly. As the name implies, it is like a metro/subway system with buses.

Many people here think that it was a terrible idea because it takes one lane off from the standard 3 on each direction, so cars have only 2 lanes to work with, and that this system is always overcrowded at peak hours, so it is normal to wait for the 3rd of 4th bus to arrive to finally get in.

There are currently 4 lines working as of now, but the long term plan is to add another 4 in the near future. The government has not released any information to back up this plan that I know of, and many people believe corruption is involved in here.

Is this really viable for a large city like Mexico City? I know I'm not giving much information on this but maybe you have seen this system work on another large city.

This is only one of the reasons why my comutes are 1+ hours at peak time. And don't get me started on the rest of the problems that my beloved third world city has.

Bus Rapid Transit like METROBUS is basically half-asses mass transit. It'll work in smaller cities where the demand isn't too high, because the initial costs are purportedly lower and it can be easily integrated with the existing network. However, it can't haul nearly as much traffic as a rail line could. The system you describe doesn't make much of the benefits of BRT, and if it's over capacity and their answer isn't 'add more buses', then it was either doomed to begin with or mismanaged.

Adding more lines will take some load off the existing ones, but they really would've been better just going with rail from the start. I'm sure there's corruption going on; that's a given, no matter where you are. There are also probably a lot of politicians trying to salvage their mistake, along with some people who genuinely want to help, and just don't have the power (or the skills) to do so properly.

Munin posted:

Call me a cynic but my bet it's just to ensure that the operator is guaranteed a return due to their monopoly position. Is that near the mark?

Turns out a small number of journeys from certain areas cause congestion at key nodes which then causes the issue to spread. In theory re-reouting these journeys would have an outsized effect as far as congection relief goes.

That sounds about right. The tricky part has always been developing an effective way to re-route traffic; even with extremely accurate information, most drivers would simply prefer to stick with what's familiar. The gap between user-optimal and system-optimal is tough to reconcile. There's hope, though: with the spreading use of GPS, it's more and more possible to manipulate driver patterns remotely.

Wolfsbane posted:

A quadrant interchange would work wonderfully here, so long as the turning volumes aren't too high. It'd make things much easier for most drivers, too, since they wouldn't need to take a different series of turns for each direction of travel.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

You can fit a decent number of buses on BRT, but there is a limit, and it's a good deal lower than what a rail system could provide. There's also maintenance to consider: buses will chew up asphalt like a toddler chews LEGO, so if you've got a significant proportion of buses, you'll need to re-pave every year.

Gat posted:

By the way, the reason for this clusterfuck is that this used to be a roundabout interchange. They then tried to make it some sort of quasi free flowing monster in the 80s while using as much of the existing roundabout as possible. The A30 to the south is just a left over of the old A34 before it was turned into a proper long distance road, but it remains to give access to a village to the south which is now bypassed by the A34. Additionally in the middle is what used to be (until relatively recently) a pub, which the design also tried to keep access to from all directions. A dedicated slip road from A303(W) to A34(S) tunneling under everything would probably sort most of the problems out because most traffic flow here is to and from the south and the west. There are much better routes for long distance traffic when travelling between any other of the other directions that avoid this junction. The slip hasn't been built though because it would be far too expensive, and this isn't quite an important enough junction for anyone to bother.

Edit: the cottages to the west (off the image) are another reason for this design so that they would still have access to everything without having a direct interchange with the dual carriageway. The entire thing was just a really cheap way to tick all the boxes.

Edit 2: And if you want to know the full history, originally before either road was dualled this was just a crossroads. The eastern side of what used to be the roundabout was the original A34, explaining the position of the pub, and the A303 followed the same alignment as it does today.

Edit 3: Apparently it wasn't just cheapness; this layout was also chosen to ensure that the junction didn't take up any more land. There was a general resistance to road building around here at the time. I'm not 100% sure if the A34(N) to A303(W) slip road is actually original to the redesign, since you don't need it to make that movement.

This is why it's important to get the local history for any project. Even for the small projects, we make sure to visit the local residents and ask about their experiences. They're the ones who'll have to deal with it most often, of course.

A quadrant interchange could maintain local access pretty easily, though then you'd basically just have a cleaned-up version of what exists out there.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
BRT, especially on a private ROW in a high vehicle frequency scenario, should be paved with reinforced concrete. Buses are heavy (10+ tons) and tear through asphalt roads the same as semis do when they're frequent enough. Anything else is asking for problems: ruts in the road, dips at common vehicle stopping points, rougher rides, major disruptions during repaving/road repairs every few years, etc..

That said, BRT done right is about 2/3 as expensive as LRT and only efficient for multiple branching routes (IE something carrying the kind of vehicle traffic present in the Seattle transit tunnel) or areas where land is plentiful and LRT/Premetro would be overkill in the long term (IE connecting exurban areas with minimal planned intensification into the transit grid without using commuter rail). Anything that's designed as a trunk line with TOD centers and major interchanges should be at minimum LRT/Premetro. Otherwise, you end up with this...

----------------------

Personally, I prefer suburban BRT when used in a freeway corridor, similar to parts of Ottawa's Transitway system. Send a bunch of routes outbound down the corridor, have them branch out at specific points toward suburban areas. You get the speed benefit of a controlled-access freeway and the frequency benefit of multiple routes in the corridor, while maintaining the ability to operate on the existing road network - if you want to be cheap, BRT vehicles can merge into regular freeway traffic and use the exits. LRT in the same application is problematic for a number of reasons, primarily attributed to how undesirable a large freeway corridor is for residential development. You also need dedicated infrastructure to extend LRT out of the corridor, which tends to get NIMBYs up in arms.

Ottawa's problem is that they designed their BRT system as the only mode of rapid transit. No LRT, metro or commuter rail services, just BRT. As Cichlidae mentioned, BRT is just like standard road traffic in that it can only handle so many buses before LOS starts dropping due to vehicle saturation - see the above photo. Ottawa's fix is replacing the central portion of the network and one of the BRT corridors with a Premetro called the Confederation Line (they call it LRT, but it's closer to Premetro due to the underground portion downtown), which should work fine. The other BRT lines will be truncated to their link with the Confederation Line, feeding riders into the system. This is very close to the ideal approach, if only Ottawa hadn't waited until BRT traffic jams were a thing to build LRT.

Varance fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Feb 21, 2013

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Interesting destruction porn, US-89 in northern Arizona just experienced an unknown "geologic event". I guess they'll reroute the road somewhat instead of trying to shore it up?

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

Qwijib0 posted:

Interesting destruction porn, US-89 in northern Arizona just experienced an unknown "geologic event". I guess they'll reroute the road somewhat instead of trying to shore it up?

Why would you say that?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

I don't think ADOT is _quite_ that industrous :D

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

6 days sounds fast for just normally rebuilding a road in america.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation

Varance posted:

Ottawa's problem is that they designed their BRT system as the only mode of rapid transit. No LRT, metro or commuter rail services, just BRT. As Cichlidae mentioned, BRT is just like standard road traffic in that it can only handle so many buses before LOS starts dropping due to vehicle saturation - see the above photo. Ottawa's fix is replacing the central portion of the network and one of the BRT corridors with a Premetro called the Confederation Line (they call it LRT, but it's closer to Premetro due to the underground portion downtown), which should work fine. The other BRT lines will be truncated to their link with the Confederation Line, feeding riders into the system. This is very close to the ideal approach, if only Ottawa hadn't waited until BRT traffic jams were a thing to build LRT.

It's being called LRT so that it can in theory service the suburbs, but the way everything is being designed, it's gonna be a metro/subway with low floor, more expensive trains. It's unlikely that within the service life of the first trains bought hat it will have any surface crossings, and unlikely to have any surface running until the third generation of trains, which will finally head into the burbs.

I'm very supportive of the line, but I know a huge amount is being wasted on making it compatible with the third generation of train sets that who knows if we'll ever see. It's kind of frustrating knowing that we could have a longer line to star with if the politicians weren't so obsessed with calling it LRT, but it's unlikely he political will (there would be either a fight with the federal government or a very Nimby neighborhood over what is now parkland but was previously a loving streetcar line) would be there anyway so I'll take what I can get.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

Minister Robathan posted:

It's being called LRT so that it can in theory service the suburbs, but the way everything is being designed, it's gonna be a metro/subway with low floor, more expensive trains. It's unlikely that within the service life of the first trains bought hat it will have any surface crossings, and unlikely to have any surface running until the third generation of trains, which will finally head into the burbs.

I'm very supportive of the line, but I know a huge amount is being wasted on making it compatible with the third generation of train sets that who knows if we'll ever see. It's kind of frustrating knowing that we could have a longer line to star with if the politicians weren't so obsessed with calling it LRT, but it's unlikely he political will (there would be either a fight with the federal government or a very Nimby neighborhood over what is now parkland but was previously a loving streetcar line) would be there anyway so I'll take what I can get.
It's designed to match the Eglinton-Crosstown in Toronto. Metrolinx purchased enough LRT cars for Toronto's Transit City project, only to have the entire thing cancelled by Toronto Mayor Rob Ford. Since there are now more LRT cars than can be feasibly used by Toronto upon delivery, it's just easier and more cost-effective to give some of the currently on-order vehicles to Ottawa, Kitchener and Hamilton for their LRT lines and option order some more for Toronto once the now-uncancelled Transit City lines are nearing completion.

Edit: At least it's LRT in a Premetro configuration and not Premetro shoehorned into an LRT configuration like Toronto's Scarborough RT. :suicide:

Varance fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Feb 22, 2013

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin
Kansas City hasn't broken ground on its first span of Streetcar, and it's already looking at expansion options.

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/news/2013/02/21/kansas-city-rfp-streetcar-second-phase.html

My opinion is thus: The full network should reach from the airport to 75th street on the N/S corridor, and from Independence to Lenexa on the E/W corridor. Exactly how is an exercise left to the reader.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost
I'm just gonna leave this here. More Florida decorative freeway action, this time in 3D!

http://previews.urscreativeimaging.com/future_projects/flash-videos/I275.html

Edit: Laugh all you want at the vehicle animations... that's actually how people drive in Florida. :v:

Varance fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 25, 2013

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Varance posted:

I'm just gonna leave this here. More Florida decorative freeway action, this time in 3D!

http://previews.urscreativeimaging.com/future_projects/flash-videos/I275.html

Edit: Laugh all you want at the vehicle animations... that's actually how people drive in Florida. :v:

Those're some nice wide overpasses! If it were designed here, the abutments would be right up against the sidewalks.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Why does that have so much space in the median?

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Nap Ghost

will_colorado posted:

Why does that have so much space in the median?
FDOT has planned out a future local-express system, plus light rail. It would have been a future extension of Florida high speed rail to St. Petersburg, but...

Interstate 4 has the same kind of reserved corridor, originally for FHSR, now for express lanes.

Varance fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Feb 26, 2013

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib
The future looks an awful lot like Atlanta, apparently.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Mar 23, 2021

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
Those painted lines don't lead all of the way to the future.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

grillster posted:

Those painted lines don't lead all of the way to the future.

Speaking of painted lines, let's say you're on a line striping truck. You run out of road, but you've still got a few gallons left in the tank. Cleaning it out would be a huge pain, and it's technically toxic waste, so you can't just dump it. What do you do?

That's right!

https://www.google.com/maps?ll=41.766302,-72.620198&spn=0.002007,0.004128&t=h&z=19

And, by the way, Bing Maps now has streetside view for a good chunk of Connecticut. Hartford area looks like it's from last June. Check it out sometime. Here's the Busway under construction:
http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=41...082&FORM=LMLTCC

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

holy poo poo that's a lot of road paint.

Also, what do you think about this:
http://dc.streetsblog.org/2013/02/28/sprawl-madness-two-houses-share-backyard-separated-by-7-miles-of-roads/

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Pretty typical, sadly. That's what happens every time you have a private developer who wants to minimize through traffic. In a way, you can turn it into a benefit if you have bike/ped networks that're much more accessible (bike boulevards, for example). Private developers aren't going to do that for you, though. And 7 miles is just freakin' ridiculous.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
:stare: How many tickets would you get for crossing that parking lot without signalling first?

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

grover posted:

:stare: How many tickets would you get for crossing that parking lot without signalling first?

Remember, parking lots are not under police jurisdiction! :eng101:

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin

Oh my God, all that spaghetti fell out of his fanny pack, how freaking embarrassing.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Cichlidae posted:

Remember, parking lots are not under police jurisdiction! :eng101:
In Virginia, reckless driving in a parking lot can get you up to a year in jail.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

grover posted:

In Virginia, reckless driving in a parking lot can get you up to a year in jail.

Eh, I've seen police reports where people get in parking lot accidents, don't have a license, are under 18, non-insured, unregistered car, and the cops just write an accident report and leave. I suppose it depends on how mean your local police are.

Chaos Motor
Aug 29, 2003

by vyelkin
In Johnson Cty KS, aka the rich, predominantly white-flight part of Kansas City, the property owner can pay like $350 a month for the cops to patrol their parking lots and it extends enforcement of city law onto the lot, stop signs & speed limits, even those stupid decorative ones, or the pop-up sign ones that grocery stores use, are enforceable. One fuckin place had GREEN stop signs for a long-rear end time.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Cichlidae posted:

Speaking of painted lines, let's say you're on a line striping truck. You run out of road, but you've still got a few gallons left in the tank. Cleaning it out would be a huge pain, and it's technically toxic waste, so you can't just dump it. What do you do?

That's right!

But everyone's doing it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
That ain't nothin'.