Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
How does the crank look?
I wonder what caused that, maybe the squid PO wasn't keeping an eye on the oil levels?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

theperminator posted:

How does the crank look?
I wonder what caused that, maybe the squid PO wasn't keeping an eye on the oil levels?

I was planning on pulling the pan and taking a look until I realized that there are bolts on the pan made inaccessable by the frame in the rear of the engine so this is where I am right now... Everything unplugged harness wise, all parts connected to the motor that need to come out before the engine drop, etc. Just need to unbolt the engine and pull it out. I'm gonna start that now.

As far as the cause... who knows. First oil change I did on the bike was at like 21k on the motor and I saw a little bit of bearing material then. It finally went with 28520mi on the motor. I was hoping to see 30k, ah well.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Hahahaaaa triple lathe at the bottom of the engine.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
My back is pissed off but I hauled that bastard onto my scissor table and got it to my workbench. Time to pull the pan.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
I need a scissor table! and a bench

My garage sucks.

Also, have fun with those frame adjusters when you put the engine back in!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'm getting tired but I pulled the pan and there was some marker on it saying "20-11-08" and "1420" I assume the first is a date and the second is...? No idea. Anyway, found some more bearing material shavings that were pretty decent sized, some pieces of the cam chain tensioner blade, and a little metal dowel about a quarter inch by an inch. I don't see any major damage to the rods but I will start pulling the bearing caps.

edit: Pulled the cyl 3 cap first.
Oh.

Oh.

poo poo.

This is what we call a textbook spun bearing.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Feb 19, 2013

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
I wonder how the hell the tensioner blade was chewed? it shouldn't be related as far as I can tell?

I also wonder if any of that poo poo has blocked oil passages and whatnot.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
When the stock tensioner fails the chain whips all over the drat place so I'm not surprised it'd chip the tension blades eventually.
I don't think any passages are clogged but I'm going to tear the whole thing apart for shits and giggles anyway. Cylinder 2 wasn't spun but it looks pretty pitted. I can't get the cap off of cylinder 3 off until I remove the girdle or whatever the gently caress it's called below the crank.

I'm done for the night because I need like a T55 or T60 to take the head bolts off - the T50 I have didn't work. The cams / camcaps look okay... but there is some real fuckery on cylinder 3 exhaust right next to the cam gear and some scarring throughout the whole exhaust side.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Feb 19, 2013

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Mister Duck posted:

Installed Powerlet heated vests and gloves on my street triple and went for a test ride in ~30 degrees. Kept me completely warm until it killed the bike at a stop light. Was able to start it again after a few minutes, but I think I have to check the voltage now and see what kind of draw these things have. I guess the full power mode on the vests is way too much.

You should be able to run that stuff on full just fine as long as you are riding at high enough RPM. Quick check shows Street Triple puts out 400w, my SV puts out 300w and I run heated vest/gloves on high as well as heated grips on high without issues.

If you're riding around town at low RPM it can be an issue but anything more than that and you should be ok. Might be worth while to toss the bike on a battery tender at night if you do a lot of low RPM riding.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

BlackMK4 posted:

As far as the cause... who knows. First oil change I did on the bike was at like 21k on the motor and I saw a little bit of bearing material then. It finally went with 28520mi on the motor. I was hoping to see 30k, ah well.

At first, I misread this as "I didn't the oil until 21k" :stare:

I did misread that right? Right!?!

LOL

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Wow that sucks dude, sorry to hear about that.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Tamir Lenk posted:

At first, I misread this as "I didn't the oil until 21k" :stare:

I did misread that right? Right!?!

LOL

Used bike dude.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
So this kind of thing happens because of low oil levels?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

the walkin dude posted:

So this kind of thing happens because of low oil levels?
Low oil pressure, which can be caused by low oil level. That's not the only possible cause, plane bearings work by keeping a thin film of oil (which comes through a hole in the bearing) between the crank and the bearing. If the oil doesn't have enough pressure, or there is too much play between the crank and bearing, they will rub. Then they weld.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
But the crank and the exhaust cam on the same cylinder? Was it being run around a NASCAR track or something? If the bike didn't have a knock over switch I'd almost think it'd been running on its side.

theperminator fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 20, 2013

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Used bike dude.

Thanks, I get it, albeit after a double-take.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

theperminator posted:

But the crank and the exhaust cam on the same cylinder? Was it being run around a NASCAR track or something? If the bike didn't have a knock over switch I'd almost think it'd been running on its side.

To be fair, I haven't pulled the 1st cylinder rod yet. We will see. I'm not messing with it tonight...

I dropped the bike at a stand still once and noticed that the tipover switch didn't cut the thing off so maybe the switch is bad. I've actually heard of a few 675s that spun bearings because the tip over switch failed.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
Well that sucks, Well at least I know mine works. it fell over once too

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I was an idiot and pressed the brake while changing my pads and a piston popped out so I had the bleed the entire line. This was, of course, before leaving for a midterm. :doh: Thanks Z3n for the quick assistance though! Fluid looked pretty gross so it was a safe idea to do it anyway. :)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Xovaan posted:

I was an idiot and pressed the brake while changing my pads and a piston popped out so I had the bleed the entire line. This was, of course, before leaving for a midterm. :doh: Thanks Z3n for the quick assistance though! Fluid looked pretty gross so it was a safe idea to do it anyway. :)

I have done this on a car. At work. Belonging to my boss.

The agony is insurmountable.

For content, I managed to scrape a peg for the first time ever screwing around with my mate after work today! Hooray! I will treasure that small graze on the steel feeler forever; I'm strongly considering unbolting and keeping it.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
That SV feeling more stable in the turns now, or is it still weird but you're leaning it over anyway?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nsaP posted:

That SV feeling more stable in the turns now, or is it still weird but you're leaning it over anyway?

It still feels like crap, I'm just forcing myself to lean it over more. It certainly feels like I can't go any faster because the nose just wants to push toward the outside constantly. The chicken strip on the rear tyre is down to about 1cm all the way around, whereas the front is worn right to the edge which I suspect is because the front tyre is sledging slightly whenever I'm fully leaned over.

My friend said that I was getting to have my knee about 20cm off the ground; I don't stick my leg out dramatically at all, nor do I do that journalist-on-a-photo-op thing people do where they're bolt upright but their lower body is contorted stupidly off the side of the bike.

At one point I went over a strip of pavement which was very slightly sunken in compared to the rest of the road (it is a horizontal strip running across, like they've dug it up to run a power line or something then filled it in again) at what felt like quite a lot of lean, and the whole bike got extremely unsettled and squirelly, as if it had a flexible hinge in the middle and either end was flapping around.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

You gonna die, you know that right?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
It's true. I die at least once a week on my SV.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nidhg00670000 posted:

It's true. I die at least once a week on my SV.

I've just never experienced a 'modern' bike with handling this wobbly I guess. I should probably stop procrastinating and get some fork oil at least.

edit: and I should, in the name of honesty, say that I managed to comprehensively out-ride a squid on a 636 coming home yesterday, which was pretty satisfying. The bike you're on doesn't matter worth a drat if you ride around in cargo shorts bolt-upright, as always.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Feb 21, 2013

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'll post pictures in the morning but I finished completely stripping my 675 block. Final tally was a spun main bearing, three trashed main bearings , and a spun rod bearing. Head is trashed from bearing debris, cams are trashed, crank is trashed, etc. Basically I've got extra engine sensors, extra engine hardware, extra throttle bodies, and a few cool paperweights.

I found out where all of the cam chain tensioner blade debris came from and my cam chain was nastyyyy - half of the links were sticking so bad it was hard to move them by hand.

The balance shaft is interesting,i t was cool to play with the transmission and watch how everything worked, and I cannot believe how heavy the crank and transmission gears are.

All in all, it's time for a track/race bike (coincidentally I now have a 675 getting a used engine.......) and a daily driver.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Feb 21, 2013

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
That 675 has been a pretty wild ride for you dude. I almost want to search out your posts about it and make a scrapbook.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Hahaha, I occasionally own vehicles that turn out like this. I used to get pissed off about it but I've realized I always learn a lot more this way and all said and done it is a good story and I realize I had fun.

It's all good. :) Better than blowing money on drugz, alcohol, and going out every night. Weekend in Vegas costs the same as a used 675 motor... I think it's cheaper this way, actually. :downs:

Also, that trackday made me want to start racing. Really bad.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Feb 21, 2013

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I did basic maintenance on the new bike today. Check tire pressure, lubed the chain and washed it. I also pulled off the "fake" exhaust can, it turned out to be full of water. Called Honda as well and confirmed the bike had been taken in for the wiring harness safety recalls. I always have a serious infatuation with any bike when I first get it, but this one just blows me away. The only other Honda I'd ridden before this was over 30 years old and was in rough shape. The fit and finish of the VFR is really impressive to me after dealing with the DRZ for a year or so. Hooray! No more bolts rattling out!

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
As the ZX6r stands:

poo poo I'm doing right now:
- Replacing the rusty-as-hell, badly-welded stock muffler (12xxx miles on it) with a 6xxx-mile-old, normal-looking stock exhaust
- Ordered a replacement front brake reservoir bottle as the old one's hole-mount has now disintegrated; floppy reservoirs = bad
- Raised handlebar .5 inches. I got a Renthal Twinwall bar for potential awesomeness, but decided it was too tall, had minimal pullback, and interfered with cables too much for me to bother switching them out, so I reverted back to the "original" handlebar and am gonna raise it incrementally to see how comfort improves. So far, feels great with a mere .5'' raise and angle adjustment.

the walkin dude fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Feb 21, 2013

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Here we go again...

The offending piston/rod/wristpin/bearing. Little bit of rubbing on the skirt and bore.

Cam chain all kinked up, and the pieces missing from the tensioner blade.

Head, no piston to valve contact or cracked valve retainers. Cam journals are hosed though.

All of the main bearings are hosed, one is spun.

...and this is what a balance shaft looks like.

This is my new lamp or some poo poo, who knows. As pictured the assembly weighs 16lb.

Now I buy a used engine.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/09-12-Trium...ed0ad85&vxp=mtr

Probably going to get an 09+ engine with ECU/harness to save myself the headache.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Feb 22, 2013

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Is eBay one of the better spots to buy a used bike engine? Just curious because I may be engine shopping for an upcoming project :ninja:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

BlackMK4 posted:

...and this is what a balance shaft looks like.

I think you should leave this part out for fun and experience what an unbalanced 3-cylinder feels like!

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
What kind of oil were you running in that anyway?

I'm jealous of your ability to buy an engine/parts in general so easily.

Auctions are another good place to get one too, I found a 675 here with a current bid of $200

theperminator fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Feb 22, 2013

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

theperminator posted:

Auctions are another good place to get one too, I found a 675 here with a current bid of $200

Rapeseed.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

I think you should leave this part out for fun and experience what an unbalanced 3-cylinder feels like!

If an unbalanced two stroke single was enough to rattle my fillings out when I managed to time the balance shaft incorrectly, that would probably be totally unrideable.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

theperminator posted:

Rotella T6. It's just easy because I have very little expense wise relative to what I'm making now... :)
Weird setup on that bike. Flipped stock clipons...?

Sagebrush posted:

I've read of a few racers giving it a try but apparently they blow up easier without it and obviously the vibration issue. :v:

NitroSpazzz posted:

Is eBay one of the better spots to buy a used bike engine? Just curious because I may be engine shopping for an upcoming project :ninja:

Noooo idea.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Feb 22, 2013

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

Rotella T6. It's just easy because I have very little expense wise relative to what I'm making now... :)
Weird setup on that bike. Flipped stock clipons...?

Not to mention that the parts are available in your country :P

And yeah, I've seen old people/weaksauces post about doing the stock clipon flip to get a tiny rise at the bars

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Finally finished with my new headlight brackets for the DRZ. This is a headlight from the Indian-market Fazer that everybody here puts on Yamaha FZ6's. My buddy got it, cracked it while trying to install it, chickened out, and gave it to me after a few months sitting in his garage. I epoxied the mounting tab back on and got to work. Got a DRC Edge taillight to finish it out, the old one was busted where the idiot PO 12 o'clocked it. I guess the stickers DO give you power. This meant I needed new turn signals as well since they were integrated, luckily the same buddy that gave me the headlight gave me a box of misc. parts, including the turn signals he took off of his 'busa. I just had to make new brackets for them--maybe an hour of bending aluminum and painting. I made all the prototypes out of 20 ga. sheet steel but the final pieces are made from .025 aluminum sheet. I don't know why, but the last licence plate holder and this one have no holes that line up with my tag horizontally, so I improvised. It'll give me more roost shield so it's cool. While I was at it, I cleaned, lubed, and adjusted the chain. I also installed a manual cam chain tensioner last week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Haha...nice dude. You, your buddy, and I had the same experience with the light... I'm sure he bought it from dev_usc. I made the same mistake busting plastic, the plastic pieces on the light housing are tender as hell. I busted the mount points for the aiming bracket as well. And fixed them with epoxy, just like you. It's worked out so far. The kit was alright and with a bit more warning and instruction it would have been easy, but I spend some time sorting it out.

Eh, for 300 bucks it looks good enough. When I busted my FZ6 the headlight assembly alone was 300.

edit: ah I didn't look close enough, he actually cracked the cowling. I didn't do that bad, I just broke the mount points on the headlight housing. Regarless, those pieces are sensitive as hell and I have to be careful to get it tight, without over tightening it. It's literally a 1/8th turn from when it starts to bite...hard. Loctite is my friend.

Edit: Also I don't know how long ago this happened, and I'm assuming it's a dev_usc kit, but if it was a break in the kit that wasn't really his fault and you talk to dev_use he's pretty good about sending replacements. He takes care of his customers over there, I guess cause his kit isn't exactly top of the line. My box got destroyed by customs and the speedo mounting plate was taken out for some reason. He offered to ship me another one at his cost just on my word. I didn't take him up on it tho, I just asked him to send me the blueprints and I had an uncle cut out some for me.

What a proper kit looks like...lol :D

nsaP fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Feb 22, 2013