Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Cygni posted:

They still hate each other.

I don't know why but I find this hysterical.

Oh, and the book I mentioned is Phoenix Squadron by Rowland White. Don't let the praise from Jeremy Clarkson dissuade you, it really is an excellent read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

All Of The Dicks posted:

The disunity of the British Isles vexes me. Tiny islands should not have separate nations in them.

You're going to hate this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_divided_islands

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I know the HRE has been posted, but it bears repeating just how incredibly complex and convoluted the territories which comprised it were. Here is a map of Further Austria, a collective name for the states under direct control of Austria in SW Germany, after 1648. It's doubly relevant because it pertains to both stupid shaped borders chat and Swiss chat.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

This is Steinstücken as it is today:

The area to the northeast that it is connected to via a single road is southwestern Berlin; the area surrounding it on all sides except for that road is Brandenburg, with Potsdam directly to the west. This means that before German reunification, it was a West German semi-exclave surrounded by East Germany. Except it actually was a 100% legit exclave until 1971, when the four occupying powers realized that this was loving retarded and gave a narrow piece of land (where the connecting road is located today) to West Berlin in exchange for a couple of uninhabited Western exclaves going to East Germany (there were quite a few of those exclaves, but Steinstücken was the only inhabited one that didn't get transferred population and all).

This is what it looked like then:

It's not really politically loaded per se, but I find it amazing how this dumb border situation goes back to 1787 and had such bizarre repercussions 160 years later.

(Added bonus: that red bridge crossing the Havel river in the upper left is Glienicke Bridge, where the US and the USSR exchanged captured spied four times during the Cold War.)

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.
That reminds me of the peace walls in Belfast

Vice did an interesting travel guide there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nzDuiv3U8o

GreenCard78 fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Feb 22, 2013

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I was on the island of Saint Martin during William and Kate's wedding. I spent lunch on the Dutch side, in a Chinese restaurant, decorated with British flags with a few French friends. It was quite the experience.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I don't know why but I find this hysterical.

:smith:
Guatemala is a small country but they are in the big leagues for horror. Maps!

For some political loading, the current president of Guatemala, Otto Perez Molina, was a highly-placed military officer and even director of military intelligence during the time these massacres were being carried out. He eventually came to lead the faction that was in favor of negotiations to end the civil war, and he represented the military in the 1996 peace talks, but he was very likely involved in serious war crimes before that. Lots and lots of soldiers and former soldiers who participated in atrocities and assassinations remain at large and immune to prosecution, and the dictator (Efrain Rios Montt) who presided over the worst abuses is only now coming to trial, which is itself a cause for unease because there are a lot of other criminals who may take action to avert their own prosecution.

No telling what those evil shits would have done with Belize if they'd got their hands on it, so thank God for the Commonwealth I guess?

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.

Had to leech this since imgur etc don't support svg.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%A4rket

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Bensa posted:

Had to leech this since imgur etc don't support svg.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%A4rket

Just useful tip for Wikipedia SVG images. If you click on the image, under it will be various PNG versions of it in different sizes (200px etc) :)

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Is this better?

Must've been an interesting place during the Cold War.

USA left, Russia right.

And here's a closer look on Gibraltar:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

This is the Comoros Islands, former French colonies.

Three belongs to the Union of the Comoros while Mayotte became a French dependency after the decolonization vote.

While the other three islands voted for decolonization, 63% of Mayotte voted to remain French in 1974 (and 99% in 1976).

It's still a dispute between the two countries, the Union of Comoros considering the Island as part of its territory (there are four stars on its flag for each of the main islands including Mayotte) and France vetoing a UN Security Council draft recognizing Mayotte as being part of the Comoros in 1976.

In 2011 Mayotte became a French department (an integral part of France) after a vote in which 95% voted in 2009 for the status.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Feb 22, 2013

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010
This seems to be a blind spot with the UN's decolonisation process. Obviously colonialism is bad and all but what do you do when the population doesn't want to be 'decolonised'? Apparently you declare that they're wrong and they should be forced to become part of another country against their will in the name of freedom.

Here's a 19th Century French writer's vision of how Europe would look in the 20th Century.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Crameltonian posted:

This seems to be a blind spot with the UN's decolonisation process. Obviously colonialism is bad and all but what do you do when the population doesn't want to be 'decolonised'? Apparently you declare that they're wrong and they should be forced to become part of another country against their will in the name of freedom.

Here's a 19th Century French writer's vision of how Europe would look in the 20th Century.

I love that this dude apparently didn't know about the existence of any cities in Poland or Ukraine

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
Paris heavily subsidizes its DOM and TOM. There's little support for independence in most of them.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Yeah, former colonial empires hold on to their last scraps of overseas territory so hard that gently caress it, why leave, free money and EU citizenship!

I do like it that as an EU citizen I can just go to South America without visa or anything and live and work in there as long as I want. A very small piece of South America, but cool nonetheless.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
More French stuff:

The Territory of Belfort is one of the smallest French department(outside some Parisian ones).

It was created in 1871 during the annexation of Alsace-Lorraine by Germany.It was the only part of Alsace retained by France, partly because most of the population was French-speaking, contrary to the rest of Alsace where people mostly spoke Alsatian.

It remained independent from the Haut-Rhin department even after Alsace was reintegrated into France and officially became a department in 1922.

It is part of the Free County(Franche Comté) region and not the Alsace region.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Feb 22, 2013

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Most common location for a craigslist missed connection by state.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
Indiana: "At Home"

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

Cygni posted:

Georgia- "The Car"
Indiana- "At Home"
Rhode Island- "Parking Lot"

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

Apparently there are a lot of 40 year old men looking for love at strip clubs and adult bookstores.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cygni posted:

Or, Walmart.png.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

I vacationed there once on the Dutch side. I ended up traveling all over the island, but the only difference that I saw were that the French side had signs in French and they accepted Euros.

pope archibald
Jun 20, 2006

:420::350:DABS ALL DAY :350::420:

Cygni posted:

Gotta love how pretty much all of the south finds love at walmart

:clint:

Accurate to the best of my knowledge as a True Texan

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Cygni posted:

So, uh...American supermarkets must be pretty awesome places?

And apparently Arizonans travel to LA fitness clubs to find love...

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

DarkCrawler posted:

And apparently Arizonans travel to LA fitness clubs to find love...

Americans in most states only leave their home <-car-> work routine to work out or buy food. And I say this as an American whose guilty of this most days.

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding

DarkCrawler posted:

Let me assure you that this is not the case.

Angiepants
May 8, 2008
Buzzfeed threw up a goldmine today. Most of them aren't particularly political but they're still interesting.

Every country England has ever invaded.

Writing systems of the world.

last laugh
Feb 11, 2004

NOOOTHING!

DarkCrawler posted:

LA fitness clubs to find love...
LA Fitness is a chain, not sure why they specify the type of club there, but Minnesota is generic "supermarket" instead of say, Cub Foods.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

last laugh posted:

LA Fitness is a chain, not sure why they specify the type of club there, but Minnesota is generic "supermarket" instead of say, Cub Foods.

Usually means there is only one option. You can say that you were at the supermarket or the gym and everyone knows exactly where you mean.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

System Metternich posted:

And here's a closer look on Gibraltar:

There was an episode of Three Sheets on Gibraltar, and yes, the airport runway does, in fact, cross the main street. (At least, it did. Wikipedia says they put in a tunnel.)

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Angiepants posted:

Writing systems of the world.

I wonder how they are defining invasion. Also that writing systems map, goddamnit Asia/Indian Subcontinent, pick a loving standard already like the rest of us.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

CellBlock posted:

There was an episode of Three Sheets on Gibraltar, and yes, the airport runway does, in fact, cross the main street. (At least, it did. Wikipedia says they put in a tunnel.)

The main access road from Spain crosses the runway in Gib. They have a sliding fence and close it up when planes land - I walked across from La Linea when I visited. Spain closed the land border for many years, so they needed to reclaim land for a runway and still had to disrupt traffic with it.

seal it with a kiss
Sep 14, 2007

:3

Red_Mage posted:

I wonder how they are defining invasion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Invasion

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Angiepants posted:

Buzzfeed threw up a goldmine today. Most of them aren't particularly political but they're still interesting.

I remember seeing that map before; isn't it just a map of nations England has been at war with, not necessarily landed troops in? I can't ever recall the English invasion of Poland, other than maybe WWII, but I am pretty sure England and Poland were on opposite sides of the Hundred Years War, and so even though Poland mostly spent the war fighting Sweden, they were at war.

E: Wait, looking it up it's not the 100 years war I'm thinking of :downs: Although Poland did fight in Cnut the Great's Conquest of England, which Cnut won so I don't really think this would be an example of England invading something

E2: Huh I guess it was the 30 years war I was thinking of, and Poland wasn't involved :v:. Welp.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 22, 2013

Angiepants
May 8, 2008

Folks posted:

Stuff about England

They may be going off of this Daily Mail article.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

Angiepants posted:

...Algeria? Armenia? Ecuador? Laos? Liberia? Finland? Angola? Why Kazakhstan but not Uzbekistan? :psyduck: OH GOD SO MANY QUESTIONS.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

ecureuilmatrix posted:

...Algeria? Armenia? Ecuador? Laos? Liberia? Finland? Angola? Why Kazakhstan but not Uzbekistan? :psyduck: OH GOD SO MANY QUESTIONS.

Expeditionary forces from the Siberian Intervention maybe? There's a book, if you're interested.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Isn't that map is also counting british privateers as invaders?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I don't recall the British ever invading the Philippines, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

ecureuilmatrix posted:

The Royal Navy did raids on the coast of Finland during the Crimean War. I suppose it's a bit of a stretch to call it an "invasion", they landed marines in a handful of towns, to burn down shipyards and tar warehouses. They also bombarded the fortress of Bomarsund.