Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Surfingelectrode posted:

You guys know that the C.C. from 'Ode to C.C.' is the guitarist from Poison (and Part 1 has a backwards sample of Talk Dirty to Me in it) and that Wayne has admitted that Chrome Plated Suicide is a pretty blatant ripoff of Sweet Child o' Mine, right?

And it all comes full circle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

leica posted:

The Talking Heads and Blondie aren't anywhere near the same zipcode as the Ramones come on dude. If anything I would put them in the New Wave genre not punk.

That's exactly what my point was. So good job reading I guess.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

CPL593H posted:

And it all comes full circle.
Yes, staying on topic is sort of the goal!

edit: please no more posts about gnr/stephen king unless they're relevant to the topic of the thread, the band Flaming n' Lips

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I'm doing some work on a paper and listening to the first part of the 24 hour song as background noise, and I'm close to turning it off because it's so depressing. If this is what anything like what the new album will be like, it's going to be a tough listen emotionally.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.
If anyone here is going to be at SXSW, this will be premiering on March 16:

It's really hard to describe, but it's basically three columns of Wayne's iPhone videos playing at the same time? Sort of like an old experimental Andy Warhol movie.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
"verticle" :negative:

A SHAMEFUL CAT
Jan 20, 2009

~*confused dog noize*~
Well that is, uh.

I feel like soon Wayne Coyne will just cut out the middleman and the only Flaming Lips product will be a 24 hour webcam of him going about his daily routine. Maybe he can release his financial settlement with Michelle on Kindle.

Crimson Sox
Jan 16, 2008

Bromance
Looks like this is out there in the interweb

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, so The Terror is amazing and easily the best album they've made since Zaireeka. Steven Drozd is god.

MajorB
Jul 3, 2007
Another stupid '07er

Surfingelectrode posted:

Yeah, so The Terror is amazing and easily the best album they've made since Zaireeka. Steven Drozd is god.

It's everything I wanted and more. I can't wait for the LP preorder to start so I can give them all of my dollars.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I'm asking this in a nice way even though I bet it sounds kind of snarky...

Are they all just long, noisy sound-jam sessions or do any of them sound like pop songs?

Transmissions/Clouds Taste/Soft Bulletin/Yoshimi fan, checking in (and much more so the last two).

At War was nothing of substance and I liked Embryonic a lot (though some songs like I Can Be A Frog are just annoying and long to me).

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
It's noisy and kind of monotonous if you ask me. I've only listened once, though.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
I Can Be a Frog is like 2 minutes long.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Argh, just realized that the show they're playing on Auditorium Shores is the same time as a wedding I agreed to DJ like six months ago. World, why you vex me so?

At this rate, I'm never going to see them live.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

rear end Catchcum posted:

I'm asking this in a nice way even though I bet it sounds kind of snarky...

Are they all just long, noisy sound-jam sessions or do any of them sound like pop songs?

The closest thing to a pop song is probably the first song. Judging by your post, you probably won't like the album.

I personally enjoy it so far, I've been listening to it on campus between classes. It reminds me of Spacemen 3 in a really good way.

I have NO idea how they're going to do any of these songs live though, unless Wayne picks up an instrument that isn't the gong again.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It's about as bleak as everyone was hoping. If you like Embryonic you'll like this one.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Man, the Yoshimi crowd is not gonna enjoy these parts of the concert.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

WASDF posted:

Man, the Yoshimi crowd is not gonna enjoy these parts of the concert.

I'm going to see them with the Black Keys this summer half because I like both bands a lot and half because watching a bunch of people react to these songs and Drug Chart is going to be hilarious

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

chime_on posted:

I Can Be a Frog is like 2 minutes long.

It's two minutes of Karen O yipping like different animals. If a kid sitting behind me on a plane did that I would punch him in the face.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

rear end Catchcum posted:

It's two minutes of Karen O yipping like different animals. If a kid sitting behind me on a plane did that I would punch him in the face.

:goonsay:

I don't know, I like that song because it sounds like everyone involved is having fun. But you're right, I should take music by a band obsessed with animals, holidays and vaginas way more seriously and get mad at fun songs.

Not An Irish Monk
May 1, 2009
You should also have the urge to punch children I guess.

Anyway, I've been at class all day but I've been re-experiencing Embryonic in anticipation of finally getting home and listening to this beast.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
I like the album a lot. It's, as expected, the exact opposite of the Hyundai commercial song. Its dark, has little to no melodies present, and is really noisy and really cool. I feel like this would be a great album to trip to but I've never done psychedelic drugs, so I'm probably not the best judge of that. It sucks that Wayne is in such a dark place right now, but it has resulted in a really great album and its refreshing to see a band that's been around for so long, still making relevant, good music.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
God loving damnit.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Jeff Wiiver posted:

It sucks that Wayne is in such a dark place right now, but it has resulted in a really great album

I'm pretty sure that Steven is responsible for like 95% of the album, not Wayne.

Now that I've listened to it a few times, I really love it. I think it improves upon a lot of the problems that people had with Embryonic and is a lot tighter and more cohesive. Now I can start to forget that Heady Fwends even exists, because that album is pretty awful in retrospect. I can't wait to hear some of these songs live.

Here's a little note that Kliph posted about the leak on the Lips board:

"Also, I downloaded the leak and IT SOUNDS LIKE poo poo! I'm guessing it was transcoded to get rid of the watermarked information embedded into the tracks. That, however, is just a hunch. What I can say for absolute loving fact, though, is that the record sounds A LOT better than this leak. Use that information as you will."

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Surfingelectrode posted:

I'm pretty sure that Steven is responsible for like 95% of the album, not Wayne.

Now that I've listened to it a few times, I really love it. I think it improves upon a lot of the problems that people had with Embryonic and is a lot tighter and more cohesive. Now I can start to forget that Heady Fwends even exists, because that album is pretty awful in retrospect. I can't wait to hear some of these songs live.

"Also, I downloaded the leak and IT SOUNDS LIKE poo poo! I'm guessing it was transcoded to get rid of the watermarked information embedded into the tracks. That, however, is just a hunch. What I can say for absolute loving fact, though, is that the record sounds A LOT better than this leak. Use that information as you will."

The file I got was only 62 mb and the sound quality isn't terrible but I can tell that there are a lot of sounds that are supposed to sound more fleshed out. I can't even tell whether it's Steven or Wayne doing vocals on some songs...

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

The leaks is 160kb/s. The actual record's gonna sound awesome.

Not An Irish Monk
May 1, 2009
I'll say it's already starting to grow on me after three listens. In the grand scheme of things, it's a very bizarre chapter in their discography. It definitely is the most serious and...dense-sounding album they've done I think. Embryonic was dense and dark too, but that album still had a sense of funkiness and fun beneath the surface. This sounds like Embryonic getting sucked into a black hole.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Pretty much love it. My smile kept getting bigger as the 1st song went on.

This is an album you listen to on more than just alcohol.

Going to give them all my money.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Surfingelectrode posted:

Everything about this post excites me!

I won't be bothering with the leak but I'm sure the temptation will grow between now and when the album comes out for real. New Flaming Lips album will be just what I need to get me through the other side of tax season!

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
The stuff I've heard about the leaked album sounds good, but I'm going to wait til it comes out. If it sounds "worse" than Embryonic than I am awesomely excited.

TheKingPuuChuu
Oct 13, 2005

Reality leaves a lot to the imagination.
Jumping on the "3rd listen" bandwagon. It's pretty amazing, even though it's not the best quality. I can't wait till my pre-order comes in.

I'm really excited to hear the live versions...it reminds me of Radiohead's "King of Limbs", where the songs live take on a radical form, and it works so well.

I'm really enjoying the end of the album.

I just wish the logo on the packaging wasn't that junk airstream font... :/

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Just finished my first run of the album and my god this thing is pretty fantastic.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

one of the scariest sounding albums I've listened to. it's so odd to say that about a flaming lips album; but this one is just so unsettling.

It's very, very alien sounding. Also, given its subject matter and the tones of the album it's a pretty unsettling and strange album. It's uncertain and naggingly-pulsating. Seems stuck in a limbo kind of; the place you were the moment you realized you would die and what that meant. But that's just how it vibes for me.

WASDF fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Feb 22, 2013

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I really like how it's mostly an instrumental album. I really love that stuff.

Not An Irish Monk
May 1, 2009
yeah ok I absolutely completely love this. There's just a whole bunch of insane little nooks and crannies tucked away within these songs and it's awesome to slowly discover them. It reminds me somewhat of Swans' The Seer in that aspect.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Today is actually the 30th anniversary of the first show the Lips ever played.

Here's Wayne's flyer for that show:

Other than a new version of the Fearless Freaks movie that should be coming out, I haven't really heard much about any 30th anniversary shows or releases this year. I'm going to go dig out my copy of the first EP and give that a listen tonight.

MajorB
Jul 3, 2007
Another stupid '07er

Surfingelectrode posted:

Other than a new version of the Fearless Freaks movie that should be coming out, I haven't really heard much about any 30th anniversary shows or releases this year. I'm going to go dig out my copy of the first EP and give that a listen tonight.

The BBC are doing some sort of 30th Anniversary radio show, aren't they?

Also, you can now preorder The Terror on CD and vinyl.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
$38?? Am I just cheap of is that really expensive? Is it a double LP?

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I'm sure it is a double LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Jeff Wiiver posted:

$38?? Am I just cheap of is that really expensive? Is it a double LP?

It's pretty obscene, and it's not even 180 gram. Typical Warner Bros. poo poo.

• Locked thread