Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

That's a sweet performance. We needed another live album.

In other news, At the Drive-In's still reissuing their stuff. On April 22nd Acrobatic Tenament will be re-released and on RSD this year Relationship of Command.

http://pitchfork.com/news/49333-at-...+Latest+News%29

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

hrmm.. In Absentia is a great song but that seemed really sloppy. It's no Starless 6/30/74

dawio
Jun 1, 2004

I'm pretty torn about this. I have a lot of love for TMV. They landed at JUST the right time for me to love the poo poo out of them - Deloused and FTM will forever be two of my favourite records - but they've undeniably been running out of steam for a while. At this point I'm almost relieved that some sort of statement has been made.

Still, Bosnian Rainbows is a great act (they were fantastic live) and Anywhere seems a bit promising. Overall I'm pretty satisfied with this.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Peopke keep using "undeniably" or similar words about TMV's quality. I don't know why.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Undeniably is an undeniably cool word, that's why.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

gosh you're right

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Please dismantle all these phantom limbs

It's undeniably the evidence of humans as ornaments, humans as ornaments, humans as ornaments, humans as ornaments

dawio
Jun 1, 2004

WASDF posted:

Peopke keep using "undeniably" or similar words about TMV's quality. I don't know why.

I could've worded that better - I was referring to the momentum of the band. Noctourniquet was very good.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
There's no denying that this is a youtube video of Omar making the rest of TMV watch 2 girls 1 cup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28DjKRZuos4

In classic dictator fashion he does not accept Thomas Pridgens creative suggestion that he would like to fly out of his chair and run away.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Anyone catching Bosnian Rainbows in Detroit on Sunday?

llibja
Sep 13, 2007

I'll be seeing them in Madison on the 27th. Make sure to get there on time for Marriages as well, they are pretty great!

Quartknee
Mar 20, 2009
Frusciante knows all of Omar's parts, right? He used to play offstage when they toured together and doubled all of Amputechture. Volta should just continue on with Frusciante and Cedric.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Quartknee posted:

Frusciante knows all of Omar's parts, right? He used to play offstage when they toured together and doubled all of Amputechture. Volta should just continue on with Frusciante and Cedric.

Barring a few one off appearances on stage, frusciante hasn't toured with them. There was an off stage guitar for some of the octahedron tour but if I remember correctly that was done by Henry trejos who is credited with "becauses" for agadez in the bedlam liner notes. I could be wrong on that, but it definetly wasn't frusciante and of he was playing live with them they wouldn't hide him off stage. He did play a lot of the guitar parts in the studio though.

travislopes
Jun 4, 2011

Shelf Adventure posted:

Barring a few one off appearances on stage, frusciante hasn't toured with them. There was an off stage guitar for some of the octahedron tour but if I remember correctly that was done by Henry trejos who is credited with "becauses" for agadez in the bedlam liner notes. I could be wrong on that, but it definetly wasn't frusciante and of he was playing live with them they wouldn't hide him off stage. He did play a lot of the guitar parts in the studio though.

Some examples of these one off appearances:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkpAnrbWLFs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB4lHZDYAfo&t=327s

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

TMV was Omar and Cedric. Without either of them there is no Mars Volta.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Happy Hippo posted:

TMV was Omar and Cedric. Without either of them there is no Mars Volta.

Ding ding ding. The Mars Volta is Omar + Cedric. The Mars Volta Group is the duo + everyone else.

For me, at least, I'm excited to hear a snippet from Cedric's solo ventures. Whenever he manages to make some headway on it.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
Bosnian Rainbows out in June, but in the meantime...

http://omarrodriguezlopez.bandcamp.com/album/s-lo-extra-o

New Omar Album which includes the studio version of My Horror is in Park, one of the black and white live videos from a while back and one that was included on the mini live album, どういたしまして.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

I always thought Cedric and Omar were these two dynamic musicians who were really really good friends and fed off each other creatively. But reading that statement from Cedric about the 'breakup' kind of goes against that. I hadn't been following what was happening with the band for awhile now, De-loused cemented my un-ending love for them but it definitely waned with the more and more 'experimental' sounding they went with the albums. What happened with their relationship/friendship?

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

knox posted:

I always thought Cedric and Omar were these two dynamic musicians who were really really good friends and fed off each other creatively. But reading that statement from Cedric about the 'breakup' kind of goes against that. I hadn't been following what was happening with the band for awhile now, De-loused cemented my un-ending love for them but it definitely waned with the more and more 'experimental' sounding they went with the albums. What happened with their relationship/friendship?
From what I saw, it doesn't sound like Cedric and Omar had a falling out, more as it just seemed like Omar got bored with TMV and wanted to move onto something new.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

knox posted:

Omar got bored. Cedric got married.

That's about all there is to it. Omar got bored with TMV pretty quickly (from the very generic recording sessions for Bedlam, Octahedron, and Noctourniquet) and moved on to his solo projects (first, his exploration with ORLG, and now with Bosnian Rainbows).

Cedric has been very slow to write his vocals for the albums. Albums like Cryptomnesia sat without vocals for more than a year until Cedric got around to finishing the tracks. Heck, Omar wrote Noctourniquet back in.. 2009? 2010?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
He also tweets ironically about Hitler not being that bad. I'm giving that account like a week to be outed as a fake before I drop it and forget about TMV until that DVD surfaces, but it says verified and it's definitely retarded enough to be him.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Webbeh posted:

Cedric has been very slow to write his vocals for the albums. Albums like Cryptomnesia sat without vocals for more than a year until Cedric got around to finishing the tracks. Heck, Omar wrote Noctourniquet back in.. 2009? 2010?

I'm not positive but it seems like there are another two albums worth of music awaiting Cedric's vocals from those same El Grupo Nuevo de Omar R-L sessions. We'll probably never hear that stuff, which I'm okay with since that record is nigh unlistenable.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Crpytomnesia is one of Cedric's and Omar's best.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

WASDF posted:

My thoughts exactly. It's exactly what I expected TMV to become - which was a stark contrast to TMV post-Bedlam.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

He also tweets ironically about Hitler not being that bad. I'm giving that account like a week to be outed as a fake before I drop it and forget about TMV until that DVD surfaces, but it says verified and it's definitely retarded enough to be him.

HIs Twitter is... odd.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

WASDF posted:

To each his own, I guess, but I found it to be an impenetrable blur. I say this as a fan of TMV and Hella.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Does anyone know where I can find the video of the woman at Jonestown saying "never heard a man speak like this man before"? my google-fu is failing me.

brandino
Apr 15, 2002

Storm Thorgerson died :( http://www.grantland.com/blog/hollywood-prospectus/post/_/id/74764/rip-storm-thorgerson-legendary-album-cover-artist

Here's some artwork he made for Amputechture that never got used. One linked because of boobs.

:nws: http://i.imgur.com/lsQU1bn.jpg

brandino fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 19, 2013

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
loving crazy. I just bought his art book "Taken by Storm" a week ago at a second hand shop :(

Good timing I guess.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I love those images. I know the band was really mockish about them in the Nardwuar interview, I don't know why because they're rad.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
The way he talks about them in that book made it sound like he really liked their band and was close to them at one point and then from Amputechture on they were stand-offish. That's just my reading of it. He talked about how they said they really didn't like the Frances The Mute tree image but they still used it and he never really heard what that was about.

brandino
Apr 15, 2002

Intel&Sebastian posted:

The way he talks about them in that book made it sound like he really liked their band and was close to them at one point and then from Amputechture on they were stand-offish. That's just my reading of it. He talked about how they said they really didn't like the Frances The Mute tree image but they still used it and he never really heard what that was about.

Man, that was my favorite :( (as it if wasn't obvious).

Couple of tweets from Ced and Omar at least:

Cedric Bixler Zavala:
Rest in Peace Storm Thorgerson. You will be remembered with pure respect and admiration. Your album artwork is timeless.

Omar Rodriguez Lopez:
RIP - Storm Thorgerson you made so many incredible images.. http://fb.me/1GbQ5BISo

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Now that I'm looking at it he talks about a lot of bands like that. I wouldn't say there's any indication of a fallout or anything.

I was always a big fan of this one, and the Echoes covers...

trotski
Mar 26, 2009
Looks like Cedric's solo idea turned into a full blown band.

Cedric Bixler Zavala ‏@cedricbixler_ 20h
So this solo thing I was working on went from a solo record to turning into a band. I'll announce the name and other news soon.

I'll be interested to hear this.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Please include Zach Hill in your band, and please make him actually drum in addition to creating wacky sounds. THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

trotski posted:

Looks like Cedric's solo idea turned into a full blown band.

Cedric Bixler Zavala ‏@cedricbixler_ 20h
So this solo thing I was working on went from a solo record to turning into a band. I'll announce the name and other news soon.

I'll be interested to hear this.

Me too. Given how little input Cedric had in later TMV albums (according to his recent interviews), I'm excited to see his music without boundaries or limitations.

Plus, more Cedric vocals = win.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY

Introducing: ZAVALAZ

quote:

Cedric Bixler Zavala - Guitar, Vocals
Dan Elkan - Guitar, Vocals
Greg Rogove - Drums, Vocals
Juan Alderete de la Peņa - Bass, Vocals
http://www.zavalaz.com/

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
That sounds like a cool band. Dan Elkan does a lot of stuff with Zach Hill and Hella.

Edit: It's also funny how after all the Omar this Omar that projects Cedric says gently caress it I'll put my name on my thing too.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 20:44 on May 15, 2013

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

STABBEY THE MEANY
And the only audio we have to go off for now is a fairly short snippet from the studio from December.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I wonder if it will have straight forward lyricism. I've never heard Cedric just say things that didn't require analyzing and I wonder why that is sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

What an inventive name :haw:

It'll be cool to see what comes from Cedric having more control (or at least more input) after Omar taking the reins of TMV for a while.

• Locked thread