Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Lord Lambeth posted:

So I grabbed that EUIII Chronicles game posted earlier, is there a instructive LP to give me a clue about how to play?

http://lparchive.org/Europa-Universalis-III-Divine-Wind/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Put Kersch's LP in the OP already, Gorgo.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

ZearothK posted:

I believe this will be the last release before A Heart of Darkness comes out, unless some major bug is found.

Will it be "Srb of Darkness" or "Heart of Srbja?"

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Mister Bates posted:

Oh, and gently caress anarcho-liberals. It's hard enough trying to keep a Communist America together without having to deal with free-market-worshiping glibertarian assholes launching uprisings in the name of liberty every couple of years, and if they take over they repeal every single one of your social reforms. It is pretty funny when they reorganize a country into a Bourgeois Dictatorship, though.

Best part about an American Bourgeois Dictatorship? The flag is just the regular old Stars and Stripes. :golfclap:

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Apparently ship combat gets a huge overall down to individual torpedoes (!!!) in EvW

E: I can't even feel my tables, oh and customizable ships.

Trick it out anyway you want, Pimp my Nimitz.

Well now.

Well now.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

They're modelling the ammunition for each individual ship in your fleet.

:psyduck:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Cold War Boner Ia Missiles are available for purchase.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

ZearothK posted:

A Srb Divided Deluxe Beta Edition Mk. IV

I believe this will be the last release before A Heart of Darkness comes out, unless some major bug is found.

I noticed a small bug, probably worth looking at when doing the HoD update; some provinces in Western and Eastern Transylvania have a core for a tag that seems to not exist.

Also the RGO output icon and percent seems to be missing although I cannot tell if that if affecting anything.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

BBJoey posted:

Read the dev diary. As a sub-system of the game it sounds pretty awesome to me but I guess it doesn't bode well for its overall accessibility and design priorities.

e: One of the more interesting comments from one of the devs in that thread is that they're modelling everything up from a missile boat to be an individual ship. Can't wait to see what their land-based scale is going to be like.

Koesj fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Feb 22, 2013

SA_Avenger
Oct 22, 2012

Huge flanders, is it a nationalist mod? lol

related as I can't believe how much slack there has been against mote because it didn't include bulgaria 50 years before it existed O_o

edit: the ability to equip ships is great though and I wonder why noone thought of that before

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

SA_Avenger posted:

Huge flanders, is it a nationalist mod? lol

"Southern Netherlands"

It's regions. The provinces kinda scale to RL entities too in BE/NL. Capital locations though...

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

B B posted:

This is what I want if I want to get into EU3, right? Any idea if this will validate on Steam? CK2 is my first Paradox game, and I've been playing the hell out of it for the past week. I really want to give EU3 a try.

If you or anyone else still wants a copy of EU3 Chronicles, I still have a copy to trade on steam for about :10bux:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/baise-moi/

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Slab serif typefaces are so ugly. :(

SA_Avenger
Oct 22, 2012

Gort posted:

Had a go of MOTE as Russia. Steamrolled Persia, made them a satellite state.

The Ottomans were at war with Austria, so I declared war on the Ottomans and took over a bunch of dominance targets from them - they barely even sent any troops my way.

Then I made peace with the Ottomans, let my war exhaustion go away, declared war on Austria and took my dominance targets from them as well.

I guess Sweden and Prussia won't be too tough to deal with.

Your biggest problem will be to push england and France out of dominance spot before game ends :)

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

Tahirovic posted:

Maybe, just maybe I'll actually try and learn how Victoria works because HoD sounds fun. But then when I tried it last Sunday I got utterly lost and didn't even know which version to play.

It took me a long time to learn ck2. Now I'm a crack head for it. I've been trying to learn to play Vicky 2 for a month now. I'm garbage at it and understand very little so if you find a good lets play that shows some grand examples to learn from please link me.

Lol. Gonna have to learn eu4 when it comes out too.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I wonder if there will be international politics you can participate in? Like the U.N., NATO, and the like. It'd be really cool to be able to form nonmilitary IGOs as well, like the EU, ASEAN, NAFTA, etc. Hopefully EvW won't be totally focused on the military angle, because I've always preferred the cultural and political simulation side of Paradox games to the military side.

Or maybe I'll have to wait for the sequel that takes it up to the present day.

It'd be really interesting to play as China and go through the Cultural Revolution, the end of the Mao Period, the reforms of Deng Xiaoping and the free market reforms and double-digit growth of the 90s. It'd be fascinating to start as a developing country and aspire to superpower status.

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Feb 22, 2013

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

DrProsek posted:

I noticed a small bug, probably worth looking at when doing the HoD update; some provinces in Western and Eastern Transylvania have a core for a tag that seems to not exist.

Also the RGO output icon and percent seems to be missing although I cannot tell if that if affecting anything.

There are two of those on the west coast of russia, three in the lebanon province in syria, one in latvia at the southern border of its cores, two in east siam, and three in the Philippines. They show up as yellow striped lines when you click on several countries, I find crete to be a useful one because it doesn't contain any. Also there are three rogue india cores that you can see by selecting nepal.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Koesj posted:

Read the dev diary. As a sub-system of the game it sounds pretty awesome to me but I guess it doesn't bode well for its overall accessibility and design priorities.

e: One of the more interesting comments from one of the devs in that thread is that they're modelling everything up from a missile boat to be an individual ship. Can't wait to see what their land-based scale is going to be like.

I'm torn, a divisional scale would be good for playability but you really need to drop down to regiment or even battalion level for the smaller wars. The ability to drop down corps level counters for WW3 would also be a godsend.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

BBJoey posted:

It kinda makes sense even in a larger scale game, when you need to make a strategic cruise missile strike against a baby food factory somewhere it's pretty important to know how many missiles you have available.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

reignonyourparade posted:

There are two of those on the west coast of russia, three in the lebanon province in syria, one in latvia at the southern border of its cores, two in east siam, and three in the Philippines. They show up as yellow striped lines when you click on several countries, I find crete to be a useful one because it doesn't contain any. Also there are three rogue india cores that you can see by selecting nepal.

Thanks! I'll be cleaning that up.

Also, here's the link to the LP, for those who asked. It needs archives, and some of the images are missing from the Waffleimages apocalypse.

Edit: The missing RGOs are a legacy from when the mod was based on PDM, they were using trade goods from it.

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Feb 22, 2013

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Conflicts like Vietnam or Afghanistan could be entirely handled by an interplay of suppression/attrition/dissent modifiers in EvW. Make it so that the occupying country has to invest in beefing up suppression at the cost of 'warfighting' capability for his divisions (or whatever unit scale) and use policies to influence local effects. More Balance of Power, less HoI3 'single militia brigade gets lazily crushed by your 1938 binary cavalry division'.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Okay, I have hopefully fixed those issues, which seems to have improved stability somewhat, I guess?

Download!

Thanks to the enterprising goons who have saved global cartography and economy!

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Noreaus posted:

Yeah. The switches between past and present tense throughout those newspapers is bad enough. Grammar is appalling throughout.

C'mon, paradox, "courage push the bravery" was endearing but you're a significant company now!

"courage push the bravery" was from Iron Cross, right? You know, a game not made by us. Don't let that slow down your criticism of first draft text in a beta screenshot by non-native English speakers though.

Fuligin posted:

"HEED! HEED! A storm is coming!"

If this is a Bronzestabbed reference then hats-the-gently caress-off to you, sir.

<3 OhCrap.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Darkrenown posted:

"courage push the bravery" was from Iron Cross, right? You know, a game not made by us. Don't let that slow down your criticism of first draft text in a beta screenshot by non-native English speakers though.

Making fun of Paradox spelling will never not be funny.

Good job on the MotE battle reports by the way, if all your games have prose that well written I won't miss the clunky language one bit.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Darkrenown posted:

It's not criticism as much as it is our way to show love.
I mean, who could seriously complain about "Capitalists builds a factroy"? :haw:

e: seconding the MoTE text being amazing, it's pretty much THE best innovation in that game.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Patter Song posted:

Will it be "Srb of Darkness" or "Heart of Srbja?"

Hrt of Drkness.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

KoldPT posted:

I mean, who could seriously complain about "Capitalists builds a factroy"?

Yeah, this. Making fun of the unique linguistic quirks of paradoxese is a long running thread tradition. Swallow your pride, let your courage push your bravery, and just roll with it.

:3:

P.S.: factroy

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Darkrenown posted:

<3 OhCrap.

You guys work very hard down at the video game factroy, we should cut you some slack.

ED: Grumble.

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom

ZearothK posted:

Thanks! I'll be cleaning that up.

Also, here's the link to the LP, for those who asked. It needs archives, and some of the images are missing from the Waffleimages apocalypse.

Thanks for the link, I forgot how amazing that LP was! Despite the missing images, it's still quite a good read.

I know there was an attempt at a CKII succession lp, but I think it died.
We should really try again!!

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

KoldPT posted:

I mean, who could seriously complain about "Capitalists builds a factroy"? :haw:

See, that works, since we made it and it was in the release version, it is dumb but somewhat funny. On the other hand, developer diaries are there to give you an early look at a work in progress and "hurr durr, it has mistakes" seems rather pointless, it's not done, we're not presenting it as a finished product.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Darkrenown posted:

See, that works, since we made it and it was in the release version, it is dumb but somewhat funny. On the other hand, developer diaries are there to give you an early look at a work in progress and "hurr durr, it has mistakes" seems rather pointless, it's not done, we're not presenting it as a finished product.

But... the process of writing and proof-reading text isn't the same as debugging a computer program?

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)

Darkrenown posted:

Oh settle down, you're a big company now, of course spelling mistakes are going to be mocked. (You'll note I wasn't criticising Iron Cross - I was saying that it used to be an endearing trait of paradox games that the translations were a bit weird.)

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Darkrenown posted:

It doesn't bother me, but I think the point he was maybe trying to make was that Paradox is a company whose games are doing increasingly better and getting increasing viability. To some extent showing off a screenshot focused around text where the grammar is all messed up is a bit like showing off a teaser screenshot of your FPS where the enemy is standing in the background untextured in a 'T' pose. People who are already fans have no problem ignoring it or understanding it's a work in progress, but for the tons of potential fans/customers who know nothing about your games it's not really putting your best foot forward.

I guess what I'm saying is you should have just faked the screenshot and fixed it in post. It's what all the big publishers do. :v:

As for us, well, you're the little girl on the playground who we keep saying has cooties and pulling your hair (because we secretly like you).

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Fintilgin posted:

As for us, well, you're the little girl on the playground who we keep saying has cooties and pulling your hair (because we secretly like you).

Seriously. There are two threads in the games forum full of people buying and praising your poo poo. You guys make good games. There are a few warts, but for the most part Paradox is a company we fully support. But when we do talk about a wart from time to time don't take it so personally.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Ray and Shirley posted:

Seriously. There are two threads in the games forum full of people buying and praising your poo poo. You guys make good games. There are a few warts, but for the most part Paradox is a company we fully support. But when we do talk about a wart from time to time don't take it so personally.

The more you cry for the teacher the more it encourages us! :haw:

Serious post: Trying to get people to stop making fun of you on something awful never ends well for ANYONE. It is literally the most counterproductive thing you could do. Just grin and bear it and make a dart board at work with our avatars on it.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Noreaus posted:

Oh settle down, you're a big company now, of course spelling mistakes are going to be mocked. (You'll note I wasn't criticising Iron Cross - I was saying that it used to be an endearing trait of paradox games that the translations were a bit weird.)

The point you again miss is that it's stupid to make fun of the unfinished work you're getting an early look at for being unfinished. It's quite different from making fun of dumb things that make into a released product. You don't think so? When a co-worker shows you an early draft or concept art for a new project and asks you what you think of the idea, do jump all over his spelling or drawing skills? Perhaps you do and nobody likes you, I don't know, but the point of the exercise was to show you the concept, not the details.

I was also pointing out that Iron Cross has nothing to do with PDS, so it's a bit of a weird example to compare HoD to.

Ray and Shirley posted:

I don't see how other good posts make up for bad posts. It's great lots of people like our games, but that doesn't mean I can't reply to people I disagree with.

Fintilgin posted:

I guess what I'm saying is you should have just faked the screenshot and fixed it in post. It's what all the big publishers do. :v:

True, or we could slap "BETA SCREENSHOT - NOT FINAL" over everything, I thought people could be trusted to realise this and not waste time on it though. I get that it would look better if we faked up things, but we're a small, busy team. If people only want to see a finished product that's what reviews are for, dev diaries show our work in progress and are written by developers, not PR people or journalists.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Feb 22, 2013

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

People will always be idiots and you'll always get people arguing over silly things like wallpapers and missed commas. Just keep making good games.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
I can't stop while someone is wrong on the internet!
Yeah, this is silly.

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)

Darkrenown posted:

The point you again miss is that it's stupid to make fun of the unfinished work you're getting an early look at for being unfinished. It's quite different from making fun of dumb things that make into a released product. You don't think so? When a co-worker shows you an early draft or concept art for a new project and asks you what you think of the idea, do jump all over his spelling or drawing skills? Perhaps you do and nobody likes you, I don't know, but the point of the exercise was to show you the concept, not the details.

christ I guess I'll just leave then :( There's no need to be a jerk, criticising spelling in something your company made isn't a personal attack against you, mate.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Apparently ship combat gets a huge overall down to individual torpedoes (!!!) in EvW

E: I can't even feel my tables, oh and customizable ships.

Trick it out anyway you want, Pimp my Nimitz.

I really really want EvW to be good, but seeing things like this makes me think that they're going down the HoI3 route of adding un-fun levels of detail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Darkrenown posted:

I was also pointing out that Iron Cross has nothing to do with PDS, so it's a bit of a weird example to compare HoD to.

Overreacting just a tad, dude. Settle down a bit, relax, don't take it so seriously. Noreaus didn't seem to be doing so, after all.

• Locked thread