Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Maleh-Vor posted:

My bad.

This game sounds kind of like GTA, and it might be fun, I just found the moral compass of the game to be completely hosed.

Well the whole thing is up to you. Don't save anyone and you'll avoid trouble. But then you just passed on potentially saving a life.

He could have just tackled him to begin with. Maybe prevented her from going in the alley. Or distracted the guy somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Huh, am I the only one who really doesn't give a poo poo about a "moral compass" in a sandbox game?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

There's apparently supposed to be some sort of morality system represented in the game. So you can be as moral/immoral as you want and the game will presumably react to that. Although most probably in an unconvincing way. I really want the game to end up heavily criticizing a player who goes full Rorscharch but I can't imagine a game like Watch Dogs going too deep into that.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

DrNutt posted:

Huh, am I the only one who really doesn't give a poo poo about a "moral compass" in a sandbox game?

Agreed.

If they make it fun enough, I'd buy a DLC involving beating up puppies.

But only if it is really fun

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

DrNutt posted:

Yeah, do we know anything about our protagonist or why he's doing what he's doing yet? Seems to me he could very well be some jackass with a grudge and a magic cell phone rather than a righteous cyberpunk vigilante.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I like to play the good paths because it fits my nature, but if they make it so that I'm a vigilante chased by the cops, I'll use a decent amount of unnecessary force to stop them from getting me if I can't pull a Batman.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

HaitianDivorce posted:

Yeah, do we know anything about our protagonist or why he's doing what he's doing yet? Seems to me he could very well be some jackass with a grudge and a magic cell phone rather than a righteous cyberpunk vigilante.

Since it's called "WATCH DOGS" and there is crime probability I'll go out on a limb and say it's about some sort of vigilantes fighting crime by any means you decide.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Read After Burning posted:

Yeah, I heard GTAIV was good for that, but the only sandbox game where I've actually been to the actual city is San Fran.

I wonder if there will be lots of stuff to do in the city? If it goes the route of including arcade games or whatever like other sandbox games do...you better be able to hack them. :colbert:

You should be able to modify one of the machines at, say, Emporium to give it a Polybius effect, have it turn people into mindwiped assassins or have them commit suicide.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The Glumslinger posted:

If they make it fun enough, I'd buy a DLC involving beating up puppies.

But only if it is really fun
It'll be like, uh, Fable(?) where you could kick chickens. Except this time it's puppies and you're in Boston. There'll be multiple events you can participate in, too, including the Power Kick (kinda like Megaton Punch in Kirby Super Star, except with puppies), the Tricky Kick (how many walls can you bounce it off of in one sweep), and the Distance Kick (self explanatory) :v:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

keyframe posted:

I hope they have hundreds and hundreds of different NPC backstories. I would hate it if I come across multiple "pro life tobacco executives" in the same area.

How about thousands? :3:

HaitianDivorce posted:

He's doing what he does to protect people close to himself.

It's covered a little here: Clicky

Gonna link this again because it explains a lot!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrkNqloQfqA

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Oh gently caress YES! :snoop:

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

HaitianDivorce posted:

I think I remember seeing somewhere that some kind of gang/mob hurt someone in his family or something? Basically his motivation is to protect those he is closest to. Pretty standard.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Playing Rorschach is going to be every geeks dream with this game.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
What I'm really interested in is the multiplayer they keep hinting at. The story mission video from last year implied you can help other players, while the new one shows you can be hostile to them while they're going about their business. The shades of Dark Souls there are really intriguing.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Daztek posted:

He's doing what he does to protect people close to himself.

It's covered a little here: Clicky

Gonna link this again because it explains a lot!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrkNqloQfqA

Itchy Bear Dong posted:

I think I remember seeing somewhere that some kind of gang/mob hurt someone in his family or something? Basically his motivation is to protect those he is closest to. Pretty standard.

Oh, okay, thanks. Sounds decent. Dunno what I was expecting but the game looks fun so...

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sniper Rifles!

I've always wanted to play an open-box game with good rooftop sniping kinda stuff. I hope there's that. GTA IV always left me a bit disappointed with the draw distance stuff and lack of sniping.

Frijolero fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 22, 2013

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

I really like the claims of emergent gameplay, ie the system notices you're paying attention to one spot or group of people and it may generate an event based around your target that you can take part in, even though I know it will inevitably boil down to "guy with body build 1A always tries committing armed robbery, lady with body 3C will try to pickpocket someone" and after the first ten hours it'll lose its charm and I'll just focus on missions and maybe mowing down drunken trust funders in Wrigleyville without feeling the slightest compunction.

E: what would be awesome is if the multiplayer fed into this, where the game would connect you with another player that was in the area, he or she to your eyes now inhabits the body of an NPC and goes about whatever they are doing in their own game world with it also happening in your world via the now pc npc, then you have the option to interact how you choose.

mysterious frankie fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 22, 2013

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

polysynth posted:

Don't criticize my libertarian fantasy

I'll enjoy the game, but let's make no bones about it, the promo video sells it as Internet Male Fantasy Simulator 2013. In the version with commentary, it's also reallly creepy the way Ubisoft are pushing "invade thousands of people's privacy!".

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

coffeetable posted:

I'll enjoy the game, but let's make no bones about it, the promo video sells it as Internet Male Fantasy Simulator 2013. In the version with commentary, it's also reallly creepy the way Ubisoft are pushing "invade thousands of people's privacy!".

I see it as: Your privacy is currently being invaded in real life. Here's a game that allows you to be on the other side. I'm sure there will be characters in the game, just as in real life, who do not "broadcast" and you cannot get any info on them. Its a good lesson in staying safe in our modern world.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Frijolero posted:

Sniper Rifles!

I've always wanted to play an open-box game with good rooftop sniping kinda stuff. I hope there's that. GTA IV always left me a bit disappointed with the draw distance stuff and lack of sniping.

The Saboteur was absolutely amazing at this. I got this game while in college, and my roommate and I spent weeks just dicking around and killing nazis

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Feb 22, 2013

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

coffeetable posted:

I'll enjoy the game, but let's make no bones about it, the promo video sells it as Internet Male Fantasy Simulator 2013.
Which is totally unlike every other action game out there.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Frijolero posted:

I see it as: Your privacy is currently being invaded in real life. Here's a game that allows you to be on the other side. I'm sure there will be characters in the game, just as in real life, who do not "broadcast" and you cannot get any info on them. Its a good lesson in staying safe in our modern world.

I dunno man. This is Ubisoft we're talking about. They took a game about assassins fighting knights and turned it into "Where in the World is Jesus' Magic Ball".

Do you really doubt that by the end of this the main character won't become JC Denton by way of Facebook?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Sedisp posted:

I dunno man. This is Ubisoft we're talking about. They took a game about assassins fighting knights and turned it into "Where in the World is Jesus' Magic Ball".

Yeah, for how loving cool this game looks it's important to remember that unless it's coming out of Valve video game writing is really, really loving terrible. Don't get your hopes up too high and fly close to the sun.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

Yeah, for how loving cool this game looks it's important to remember that unless it's coming out of Valve video game writing is really, really loving terrible. Don't get your hopes up too high and fly close to the sun.

Hopefully it's GTA enough that I can focus on being cyberpunk Robin Hood and loving up cyberpunk Rorschachs, while ignoring any lovely piece of Eden bullshit (I didn't play AC beyond the first game). Because stealing the tobacco executive's money and giving it to the Iraq war veteran would make me happy, and moralizing on people who are 'sloppy' would make me happier.

First time I've been excited for an Ubisoft game in so long.

Watch Dogs.: These Dogs Are Wide Awake

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Calling it; the big twist is aliens from another dimension where they don't understand how sidewalks work & The Bean is their stargate.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

mysterious frankie posted:

Calling it; the big twist is aliens from another dimension where they don't understand how sidewalks work & The Bean is their stargate.

The protagonist is actually the player all along playing a hacker in real life in-game to hack the actual "watch dogs" in a simulation about futuristic hacking technology in the present day.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

mysterious frankie posted:

The metaphysical twist is this is likely a sort of tech demo for an AC4 in the modern times.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Sedisp posted:

The metaphysical twist is this is likely a sort of tech demo for an AC4 in the modern times.

I wondered if thats how this started out, as a concept for AC3 or something. The the hacking stuff was just too good to be lost under AC's mechanics.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

I kind of want wizards who create earthquakes and drop meteors to show up.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Level Slide posted:

It's sad that the chances of this game even remaining on Earth are low because it's Ubisoft. Nevermind the many other ways they could gently caress it up.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bobnumerotres posted:

It's sad that the chances of this game even remaining on Earth are low because it's Ubisoft. Nevermind the many other ways they could gently caress it up.

Level Slide posted:

What the poo poo are you guys talking about? Is this in AC3?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Frijolero posted:

What the poo poo are you guys talking about? Is this in AC3?

No, but it does sound a lot like Dragon's Dogma.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Sedisp posted:

Yeah, I've been getting that feeling too, especially with our protagonist and his acrobatic traversal of obstacles in the last video. I was hoping he'd be a little more average in his range of movement; it would add more strategy to the game by limiting options for escape or pursuit purely through physical ability. Lots of people are fit without being Parkour experts and with the abundance of open world titles with ninjas for protagonists, it would be novel to play as a guy who looks up at the top of a midrise and goes "uh, maybe if I had a reeeeally tall ladder".

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

DrNutt posted:

Seriously. What the gently caress is this?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Maleh-Vor posted:

My bad.

This game sounds kind of like GTA, and it might be fun, I just found the moral compass of the game to be completely hosed.

Sandbox city games are invariably hosed.

I mean look at Sleeping Dogs, you're an undercover cop.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Wario In Real Life posted:

Seriously. What the gently caress is this?
Some people are just going to get hung up on it because it's set in the present and is going to contain present-day issues. It's a lot easier to just roll with a game's politics when it's about stabbing people in renaissance Italy or medieval Jerusalem.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

Watch Dogs: To Infinity and Beyond

But hey look on the bright side. No matter how bad the plot will be AC4 will have a worse one.

Sedisp fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 22, 2013

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

I think it's important to wait for context and execution before crying foul over morality in a game (though it is legitimate to voice concerns, just not with certainty). I mean, people thought Assassin's Creed III was going to be a "rah rah America" game that ignored all of the shady poo poo during the revolution, but it actually brought up those issues. It did it poorly and had no substance to it, but it still did. Then we get to Far Cry 3, where it was pegged as a bog-standard White Man Saves the Natives game, and it turned out to be a really clumsy attempt at inverting that cliche.

I mean, would it really be more questionable than most games if the character was merely using a system that already exists for better (if still somewhat questionable) purposes, like breaking conspiracies and stopping crimes instead of targeted government-sponsored assassinations or whatnot? Likewise, if he's some street-hero vigilante who just does this by himself for ~justice~, then I'd say that's much worse. Or hell, there could be the standard "we are the bad guy" twist at the end, where everything we've done is revealed to be awful and condemned. We really don't know at this point.

The only thing we can reasonably be sure of right now; no matter the morals, the writing will most likely be bad because it's a game. Anything beyond that requires more information to frame it morally.

Generic American fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 23, 2013

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Not to really stir the fires, but I think the whole "the writing will be bad because it's a game" critique is becoming less and less true over the past few years. Hell, it hasn't been true since 1999's The Longest Journey or Planescape: Torment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011

Azure_Horizon posted:

Not to really stir the fires, but I think the whole "the writing will be bad because it's a game" critique is becoming less and less true over the past few years. Hell, it hasn't been true since 1999's The Longest Journey or Planescape: Torment.
You must have very low standards, then.

• Locked thread