Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

MG42 posted:

it really feels like all the HnK2 stuff was tacked on. (Mind you, I haven't watched or read much of HnK to begin with.)
Considering what a bunch of people who played Ken's Rage 2 or read the manga said, it was this bad (the tacked-on feeling) in the manga post-Raoh to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Autumncomet posted:

There's no word yet of this one being translated like PW1, right? This one sounds like it could be fun, but if the sales for the first one weren't too good via PSN, I doubt they would translate it.

I missed this but Pirate Warriors 2 is coming to North America and Europe this Summer for PS3.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

KOEI is a prostitute that adores having a launch era game with every console. If the XBox720 hits the scene later, it will have some Warriors iteration in its window. PSP had a DW game (poo poo game that got about 150 hours out of me). 3DS had SW:Chronicles (not poo poo game that got 200 out of me). PSVita got Next. Wii U got WO3. If the PS4 and 720 aren't simultaneous launches, they'll still get a KOEI game in the launch. If KOEI's smart enough to do one thing right, it's to make sure there's a launch window game because people will buy that poo poo due to lack of variety.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

How is the 3ds SW? For some reason I prefer samurai warrior over any other warrior game( I think it's the castle thing since samurai warrior 2!).

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Bleusilences posted:

How is the 3ds SW? For some reason I prefer samurai warrior over any other warrior game( I think it's the castle thing since samurai warrior 2!).

Chronicles is pretty fun and frantic in a way I've yet to see other Warriors game match. Having 4 PCs on the field at once does that.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Pureauthor posted:

Chronicles is pretty fun and frantic in a way I've yet to see other Warriors game match. Having 4 PCs on the field at once does that.

This is the part that makes it great. Most of your 'campaign' maps will only give you access to something like 2 or 3 generals at a time, but once you unlock free-play for a mission, you can re-do it with whatever generals you like, up to four of them. The four of them will pop in static spots on the battlefield. You basically toggle between which one you want to control by simply tapping their portrait down on the touchscreen. You instantly assume control of that general, and the general you tasked away from goes back to AI. There's a light bit of AI dictation you can do as well, so it's not completely lacking in strategy. Any given map is bloated with sub-objectives that are virtually impossible to hit until you open them up for free-play. It makes for some robust re-play.

Just like any other title that has this feature though, maxing out 'relationship levels' with your officers will take some mindless grinding.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Hey it's that time again.

Wei Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XszR7p4ap8U

Character Demos: http://gematsu.com/2013/02/dynasty-warriors-8-trailer-character-footage-screenshots

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

I am slightly disappointed that Pang De's weapon isn't his casket.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Policenaut posted:

Koei Tecmo is confirmed as a PlayStation 4 partner, so uh get ready for DW9 on PS4 I guess.

Atlus and Platinum? Aw yeah :fap:

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

5er posted:

Any given map is bloated with sub-objectives that are virtually impossible to hit until you open them up for free-play.

This is exactly the reason I've only got like one or two hours in the game. I'm too much of a sperg to be happy with only completing a third of the objectives that are constantly flashing up on your screen.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Jibo posted:

This is exactly the reason I've only got like one or two hours in the game. I'm too much of a sperg to be happy with only completing a third of the objectives that are constantly flashing up on your screen.

I know that feeling, I almost walked away from it too, but when you just cut loose and stop caring when you're just doing the first heavily-restricted run, then open it up for free play and come back to it later with a better levelled batch of generals, you can knock them out and relish the challenge.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

5er posted:

Just like any other title that has this feature though, maxing out 'relationship levels' with your officers will take some mindless grinding.

On the plus side, it's not nearly as bad as Gundam 2's friendship system.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

kirbysuperstar posted:

On the plus side, it's not nearly as bad as Gundam 2's friendship system.

Nothing is. Every now and then I bust it out and spend a weekend trying to grind out some missions and relations for some pilot or other and it's just insane. I did some rough calculations and it should take me somewhere between 1500 and 2000 hours played to get every pilot friendly with every other pilot and complete all missions with every pilot.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

You only need to get everyone friendly with one pilot for the trophy, if that's what you're after. Then again that's still a colossal undertaking. It took me around 150 hours before I reached the end goal (then got YLOD 8 missions away from Platinum).

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Policenaut posted:

You only need to get everyone friendly with one pilot for the trophy, if that's what you're after. Then again that's still a colossal undertaking. It took me around 150 hours before I reached the end goal (then got YLOD 8 missions away from Platinum).

Yeah, I know that. I just want to put an honest effort into "100%ing" the whole game. Right now I've got all the achievements but the movie one because I haven't gone back and redone the Story mode missions to get the alternate movies. I've got Amuro and Master Asia friendly with everyone and with all missions completed and a few people on their way to that at about 300 or 400 hours played. Which is kind of funny to compare to DWG3 where doing everything that the game keeps track of will run you maybe 100 hours.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Best part of DWG2's friendship bullshit was that it was theoretically possible to lock yourself out of ever getting.. I want to say Quess. I almost kind of not really want to do that because Quess is pretty insufferable.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
I just kept doing the master quizzes over and over and over and over again.
Doesn't take too long after you memorize every single question.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I just got past Chibi in reading Romance, so now I'm passed where I stopped reading the last time.

Man was Zhuge Liang pure :smug: during that entire section.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

SirPhoebos posted:

I just got past Chibi in reading Romance, so now I'm passed where I stopped reading the last time.

Man was Zhuge Liang pure :smug: during that entire section.
The worst part of all is what he did to Guan Yu upon his return from Huarongdao... man, why is it that folklore "heroes" tend to specifically be trolls (Sun Wukong) and sadistic trolls (Zhuge Liang)? "Sadistic troll to others" seems to be his defining "hero trait" besides "designated protagonist Liu Bei's right-hand man"... seriously, I'm actually not surprised that the tone of DW7 is so different in being so much less sympathetic with Shu, especially if it was written by "modern interpretation" fans.

You'd seriously love how Lu Su turns the tables in the 2010 live-action version of that scene though: it ends up with Liu Bei, Guan Yu and Zhang Fei prostrating themselves before Lu Su thanking him for sparing their lives and Zhuge Liang having to walk away verbally blaming his "incompetence" for Cao Cao's escape.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Why is WO3 so fun. Why is Kunoichi's musou a murder tornado. I'm not complaining, though, it's :krad:.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

I feel like NEXT's Conquest Mode is just sort of a disappointment. It would be so much better if I could choose which territory gets its... whatever that number stands for increased, and if I could defend my territories instead of just auto-losing them.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Why is WO3 so fun. Why is Kunoichi's musou a murder tornado. I'm not complaining, though, it's :krad:.
I really like Kunoichi's musou attack, it's a shame she's an inferior Nene in every other respect (well, technically Nene's a better her, I think, but you get what I mean). Come to think of it, I don't "get" Kunoichi at all, why is a generic ninja girl literally named "female ninja" a distinct character v:confused:v

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

U.T. Raptor posted:

I really like Kunoichi's musou attack, it's a shame she's an inferior Nene in every other respect (well, technically Nene's a better her, I think, but you get what I mean). Come to think of it, I don't "get" Kunoichi at all, why is a generic ninja girl literally named "female ninja" a distinct character v:confused:v

Ya, except Nene is an annoying character (I mean, her name is NE NE, for one). Kunoichi is Yukimura's subordinate because historically he supposedly had a bunch of ninjas who worked for him. I guess she's Koei's personification of that.

Wikipedia posted:

A legend says that Yukimura had ten heroes who took an active role at the battles of Osaka Castle. They were called the Sanada Ten Braves, a group of ninja, and consisted of the following members:

• Sarutobi Sasuke
  • Kirigakure Saizo
  • Miyoshi Seikai
  • Miyoshi Isa
  • Anayama Kosuke
  • Unno Rokuro
  • Kakei Juzo
  • Nezu Jinpachi
  • Mochizuki Rokuro
  • Yuri Kamanosuke

Also, Kunoichi in the first SW had a pretty awesome alternate costume.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
See, I always thought they just gave "Generic Female Ninja named Female Ninja" in the first SW a name and a story when they made Nene. But then they went and decided we needed both.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

Nene is the best. Probably my favorite SW character. Aya Gozen is a pretty close second though.

At least they fixed Kunoichi's Charge Attacks for WO3.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!

Chortles posted:

I'm actually not surprised that the tone of DW7 is so different in being so much less sympathetic with Shu, especially if it was written by "modern interpretation" fans.

Yeah, I mean people say the writers hate Zhang He, but compared to Jiang Wei, it's barely anything. When he shows up in WO3, he literally gets killed immediately by a random grunt. Nobody notices until after the fight when Liu Shan's like 'Man, I feel like we're forgetting someone'.

And of course, during the Jin in DW7, he's portrayed as a super obsessive baddie. You can imagine him shouting 'I'll get you next time, He Man!'

Not that I'm complaining of course. Shu's easily my least favourite of the three.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

Saith posted:

Yeah, I mean people say the writers hate Zhang He, but compared to Jiang Wei, it's barely anything. When he shows up in WO3, he literally gets killed immediately by a random grunt. Nobody notices until after the fight when Liu Shan's like 'Man, I feel like we're forgetting someone'.

And of course, during the Jin in DW7, he's portrayed as a super obsessive baddie. You can imagine him shouting 'I'll get you next time, He Man!'

Not that I'm complaining of course. Shu's easily my least favourite of the three.

I never really liked Jiang Wei, honestly. Game or novel, he's pretty underwhelming.

When they got rid of him in DW6, I never noticed until someone pointed it out.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
The worst thing about Jiang Wei is how everyone pronounces his name the same way as Zhong Hui. It made Deng Ai's missions so much more annoying. :(

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Saith posted:

I stop caring about Shu at the point that Guan Yu's out of the picture.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

5er posted:

I stop caring about Shu at the point that Guan Yu's out of the picture.

Same except with Zhuge Liang.

... Which, admittedly, is a very long period.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Saith posted:

The worst thing about Jiang Wei is how everyone pronounces his name the same way as Zhong Hui. It made Deng Ai's missions so much more annoying. :(

Which version of DW7 is this? "Jang Way" and "Jong Hwa" are are pretty distinct pronounciations.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
I just remember getting confused whenever Deng Ai started talking about one or the other, and running to the wrong end of the map because I can't read and buttonmash at the same time. :downs:

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Saith posted:

Remember how I said that modern fans tend to be much more cynical about Shu (and noticing their own "awful people behavior" that's brushed over or even praised by folklore because of Designated Protagonist) and more sympathetic to Wei and Wu? Yeah, it seems very clear to me that DW7/WO3 -- and whoever it was behind adding Jin/going with "novel-like" -- are just that, and it shows so, so much... and I think that that's one of the underlying problems right now with adapting the lore.

Sonata Mused posted:

I never really liked Jiang Wei, honestly. Game or novel, he's pretty underwhelming.

When they got rid of him in DW6, I never noticed until someone pointed it out.
The tone of the novel seems pretty "welp it's all downhill from here" once Zhuge Liang's out of the picture, so I'm not surprised at him also getting short shrift in the games too.

As for "Jiang" and "Zhong", I think the confusion's because the game narration/English voice actors' pronunciation of zhong is so, SO off -- in Mandarin it's more like "jung", versus Jiang's "jee-ahng" -- and noticeably so compared to pronunciations of just about most other names.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I'll never get why Chinese names are written the way they are in English. Why not write them the way they sound? Like Lian Shi. Apparently her name is pronounced "Sure" not "She". Why not write it so people can actually pronounce it without a primer on how to pronounce Chinese words written with Latin characters. Also, "Cao" as another obvious one.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
I'm pretty sure the version I read wrote it out 'Tsao Wei', but I might be misremembering.

It's also because it's pretty difficult to adapt completely foreign languages to English. I mean, look at Irish - BH, I think, is pronounced as V, etc, and I don't think it's even possible to describe the Welsh LL over a textual medium.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

PureRok posted:

I'll never get why Chinese names are written the way they are in English. Why not write them the way they sound? Like Lian Shi. Apparently her name is pronounced "Sure" not "She". Why not write it so people can actually pronounce it without a primer on how to pronounce Chinese words written with Latin characters. Also, "Cao" as another obvious one.

Because Yale spelling was so bad the Chinese (PRC) government actually adopted their own way of spelling their names/words in Latin characters. This is Pinyin. It's not perfect, mostly because a lot of sounds don't exist in a readable format in English, Cao vs. Tsao, but is supported by the largest body of native speakers of the language in the world.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Play the early Dynasty Warriors games. Hearing them call him Cow Cow was beyond funny. It's just a phonetic language. I play Age of Wushu occasionally, which is a MMO set in Fantasy China, and I feel like I'm pronouncing every single name in that game wrong because I read it as if it is an English name.

Empires 7 was released today in Europe, anyone pick it up? I forgot I had Empires 6 and booted that up. I've forgotten how much I hate the movesets in that game, especially when you're low level and don't have many moves to do.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

If DW8 has 3 language settings, I will be happy.

English, Japanese, and DW3.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Jimbot posted:

Hearing them call him Cow Cow was beyond funny.
Cow Cow and his son Cow Pie.

Jimbot posted:

Empires 7 was released today in Europe, anyone pick it up?
Sort of. I preordered it, but the place I ordered from got too few units at first so I won't get the game until early next week, hopefully Monday. And I was planning on using it to celebrate that I wrote an exam today :(.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
DW3 has a special place in my heart and although I feel like a better person for finally learning the native pronunciations through other media, Cow Cow's son will always be Cow Pee, Soon Say's father Soon Jeeyan will always be a smiley guy in gold armor and dear god I still remember the layout of Hulao Gate.

e: DW7E isn't on 360, is it? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I don't know if maybe the current games have this option and I just missed it, but if we aren't getting English dubs any more it would be nice if there was a toggle to display the characters' Japanese names instead of the Chinese ones. A lot of the names are close enough but sometimes I get confused when I'm hearing one and seeing the other.