Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

CzarChasm posted:

These chicken roasting recipes are reminding me of a recipe I had but lost.

The short version is that you roast the chicken on a broiler pan, and underneath, you have thinly sliced potatoes, so that as the chicken cooks, all the schmaltz drips down and flavors the potatoes.

Pretty sure it was a test kitchen recipe, but I can't find it in my collection. I may not need that, if someone can point me in a proper direction. Could I get the same results using a cooling rack and a rimmed baking sheet? Hoping for something where I wouldn't have to move the bird around too much to toss the potatoes.

That sounds like a version of Boulangère Potatoes. You shouldn't have to toss the spuds around if you pour over some chicken stock, with the top layer becoming nice and crusty from the chicken drippings. This is a good recipe for the dish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
My favourite thing to do with a roast chicken is cut a lemon in two and squeeze the juice of one half into the cavity and toss it in there. The other half I just throw into the pan to roast along with the chicken along with a bunch of garlic. When everything is done I squish the bejeezus out of the garlic and roasted lemon and make a sauce with everything. The citrus flavour in the gravy is awesome.

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Would basting be prefered for chicken fajitas as well? I always did some kind of mix of oj, onions, spices, pepper and let it sit for a few hours. I need to experiment now to prove this to myself haha.

This is all earth shattering to me :psyduck: so I apologize if my questions seem kind of retarded. I know what tastes good, but I don't know the science of cooking, why things taste good. Would you happen to have further reading about all of this or know of something on Serious Eats Food Lab that talks about this?
Some Food Lab links:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/05/how-to-grill-skirt-steak-recipes.html
http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/05/how-to-marinate-and-grill-flank-steaks.html
http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/07/the-food-lab-ceviche-and-the-science-of-marin.html

ChetReckless fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 22, 2013

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Saint Darwin posted:

I have some pork "Country style ribs." I want to do something cool with them. Suggestions? I usually just slow cook em but I need them for dinner.

I confit those all the time.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I made a simple daal, but somehow it's too salty. Can I fix this any other way besides adding more lentils to it? I'm all out.

e: Also, I accidentally put the wrong burner on high. It was the one my teflon pot was on. I opened up the lid and smoke poured out. The pot had been washed and there wasn't any oil in it so I'm worried that's like, smoking teflon or something. Should I toss it? The bottom looks ok...

M42 fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Feb 22, 2013

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

I'm looking for some cheap and easy food ideas to serve 9 adults for a St Patrick's Day party. Trying to stick with the green theme. Alcohol aside all I came up with was an all green veggie tray, and maybe adding food coloring to pasta salad with green noodles. Not trying to make a big meal, but want to make sure food is available. Anyone have any other suggestions?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Obscurity posted:

I'm looking for some cheap and easy food ideas to serve 9 adults for a St Patrick's Day party. Trying to stick with the green theme. Alcohol aside all I came up with was an all green veggie tray, and maybe adding food coloring to pasta salad with green noodles. Not trying to make a big meal, but want to make sure food is available. Anyone have any other suggestions?

SAY! I LIKE GREEN EGGS AND HAM!
I DO! I LIKE THEM, SAM-I-AM!
AND I WOULD EAT THEM IN A BOAT.
AND I WOULD EAT THEM WITH A GOAT...
AND I WILL EAT THEM, IN THE RAIN.
AND IN THE DARK. AND ON A TRAIN.
AND IN A CAR. AND IN A TREE.
THEY ARE SO GOOD, SO GOOD, YOU SEE!
SO I WILL EAT THEM IN A BOX.
AND I WILL EAT THEM WITH A FOX.
AND I WILL EAT THEM IN A HOUSE.
AND I WILL EAT THEM WITH A MOUSE.
AND I WILL EAT THEM HERE AND THERE.
SAY! I WILL EAT THEM ANYWHERE!
I DO SO LIKE GREEN EGGS AND HAM!
THANK YOU! THANK YOU, SAM I AM.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

How did I not see this coming? :saddowns:

Anything else that isn't from a Dr. Suess book?

Taft Punk
Jan 11, 2011

Fish are the vegetables of the sea.

Obscurity posted:

Why not use something like spinach noodles, if you're looking for green pasta?

Corned beef with potatoes is a classic Irish-American indulgence -- you could place fresh sprigs of parsley throughout it to pick up the "green" theme.

I guess it depends on how cheap is cheap, and how much time is "easy." Corned beef will be on sale around St. Patty's, and it is probably as simple as put in bag - put bag in oven - roast.

If that's too heavy a meal, have you considered snackables such as kale chips, which are easy and cheap, or of course the green cupcakes...

I like the idea of a veggie tray though -- maybe some green smoothies to help mitigate the inevitable alcoholic damages? ;)

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Taft Punk posted:

Why not use something like spinach noodles, if you're looking for green pasta?

Yeah this is what I meant, but also add to the mayo mixture.

quote:

Corned beef with potatoes is a classic Irish-American indulgence -- you could place fresh sprigs of parsley throughout it to pick up the "green" theme.

I guess it depends on how cheap is cheap, and how much time is "easy." Corned beef will be on sale around St. Patty's, and it is probably as simple as put in bag - put bag in oven - roast.

If that's too heavy a meal, have you considered snackables such as kale chips, which are easy and cheap, or of course the green cupcakes.

I'm thinking more along the lines of appetizers. Mini sandwiches and the like. Making certain foods green can be challenging though.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Obscurity posted:

I'm thinking more along the lines of appetizers. Mini sandwiches and the like. Making certain foods green can be challenging though.

Put some red in there to make the green pop a bit more.

Green bread plus lettuce/whatever plus green mayo plus ROAST BEEF.

Taft Punk
Jan 11, 2011

Fish are the vegetables of the sea.

Obscurity posted:

Making certain foods green can be challenging though.

I disagree.

http://www.amazon.com/Wilton-710-55...olor+food+green

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Anglo-American goons, I need your assistance.

I'm going to make this today:

http://www.cinnamonspiceandeverythingnice.com/honey-mustard-pretzel-chicken/

quote:

4 cups hard pretzels (like sourdough), coarsely crushed
1/2 cup neutral tasting olive oil
1/2 cup Dijon mustard
1/3 cup honey (Iike clover or orange blossom)
1/4 cup bottled water
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
coarse salt and fresh ground black pepper
1 + 1/2 pounds boneless chicken breasts

but I'm in the UK and cups are meant for TEA only.

Why can't you Americans use proper measurements? :argh:

I've googled and it seems like the recipe should be covnerted thus:

quote:

400g hard pretzels (like sourdough), coarsely crushed
120ml neutral tasting olive oil
120ml Dijon mustard
80ml honey (Iike clover or orange blossom)
6oml bottled water
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
coarse salt and fresh ground black pepper
1 + 1/2 pounds boneless chicken breasts

The liquid stuff is easier to convert and it seems like the mixture for it is simply "to taste" anyway but the pretzel bit is what cofnuses me - is it 4 cups before or after crushing!?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I had the same problem after moving to Japan and just bought a set of measuring cups. Now I can cook from any recipe!

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

tarepanda posted:

I had the same problem after moving to Japan and just bought a set of measuring cups. Now I can cook from any recipe!

Hm, it doesn't help me ensure I buy the correct amount of ingredients though?

I'll definitely buy a set though because at least it'd help with the actual cooking rather than the acquiring of ingredients.

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
I've been cooking for myself for a few years now, but I am strictly a beginner. In my new work situation I've been taking lunch to work with me everyday. My paltry slowly cobbled together cookbook only has 43 recipes, not all of which are conducive for making the night before to take to work with me to the microwave the next day. I tried searching around, but I was wondering if there was a thread or maybe a good site for fairly quick and easy recipes for leftovers? I mostly make wraps, soups, and grilled chicken as of right now, with many salads. But I'm looking to start expanding and trying new things, goon endorsed.

As of right now I'm making food two to three days in advance, but I was hoping to make several batches of different items on the weekend that would keep all throughout the week in the fridge, and have enough variety that I don't get bored. Thanks in advance!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

WastedJoker posted:

Anglo-American goons, I need your assistance.

I'm going to make this today:

http://www.cinnamonspiceandeverythingnice.com/honey-mustard-pretzel-chicken/

but I'm in the UK and cups are meant for TEA only.

Why can't you Americans use proper measurements? :argh:

I've googled and it seems like the recipe should be covnerted thus:

The liquid stuff is easier to convert and it seems like the mixture for it is simply "to taste" anyway but the pretzel bit is what cofnuses me - is it 4 cups before or after crushing!?

You don't need to convert those volume measurements to weight. Anyway, the way that they have written is indicates that you measure the four cups, then crushed. Otherwise, it would read "4 cups coarsely crushed pretzels".

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

therattle posted:

You don't need to convert those volume measurements to weight. Anyway, the way that they have written is indicates that you measure the four cups, then crushed. Otherwise, it would read "4 cups coarsely crushed pretzels".

You're giving way too much credit to recipe writers.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
Unless they were very small pretzels, I'd imagine you'd have a hard time measuring whole pretzels by the cup. I'd be more inclined to think they're referring to 4 cups post-crushing.

Delicious Sci Fi
Jul 17, 2006

You cannot lose if you do not play.

Obscurity posted:

make a pesto, doesn't even have to be a traditional pesto, you could do like arugula or something and smear that on some individually sized pizza. Top with pepperjack and some roasted green peppers.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

therattle posted:

Does sauerkraut also smell?

drat straight it does! It smells like Angel Farts. :swoon:

It actually doesn't smell nearly as strong as kimchi, because diakon is so smelly. We are currently fermenting a batch of kraut with raw garlic and caraway seeds, and that definitely smells a little funkier then usual.

therattle posted:

Thanks guys! Would vinegar and/or sugar affect fermentation negatively? The only thing I can think of is that the acidity from vinegar might retard fermentation, but I did add a splash to the kimchi and that stuff was fizzing like soda water.

When I made kimchi there was very little liquid, which concerned me, so I topped it up with brine until covered. Is this not needed? I thought fermentation required an anaerobic environment.

If the natural byproduct of fermentation is acid, how could adding acid retard the fermentation? There is also no need to add vinegar, just wait till the lactic acid reaches your desired level of sour, and then fridge it. Like kimchi, it will continue to ferment in the fridge, albeit very slowly.

As for sugar, never tried it, but it might turbo-charge the lactobac a bit? We won't know until you try.

You only need enough brine to cover the cabbage. Doing the massage method I mentioned, and then pressing it under a weight works just fine; if all goes well, you never need to add ANY fluid. If you store your ferment someplace where the brine can evaporate, you should add enough brine back to the pot to cover. I only had to do this once, and I used 1 teaspoon per cup of water to make the replacement brine. We had to do this because we originally used a (cleaned) rock as a weight, but it was breaking down in the lactic acid, and we had to remove it and skim off some brine. You can read more about that delightful caper in one of the girlfriend's blog posts:

http://melomeals.blogspot.com/2012/09/introducing-angela-12-days-old.html

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I've been curing some short ribs to make pastrami but my yard is now covered by a foot of snow and I don't feel like digging my weber out to smoke it. Can I freeze it after curing it or should I just eat corned beef?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

A Traditional Irish meal: boil a pot of potatoes without any seasoning. Set the pot down in the middle of the table: guests reach in with their hands, pull out a tater, carefully peel it (the peels contain deadly poison), and eat it plain. Then have a three hour argument over the superiority of different potato varieties; this is known as "good crack".

All-American holiday option: add green food coloring to the boiling water.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Obscurity posted:

Make pasta salad with pesto - green, and much tastier than the mayo-based kind.

You can do pretty much anything, but I generally:

Make a box of rotini pasta, allow to cool (make in advance if you need the pasta salad ready by a certain time!)
Halve some cherry tomatoes
Slice thin some scallions
Dice a bell pepper (I use red because I like the sweetness, you can use green if you want more green in the dish)
Cut up some mozarella into tiny chunks (I am lazy and generally dice up some baby bells I have in the fridge)
Throw some defrosted (or fresh if you can get em) peas in there
Cut up some olives (again, I like kalamata but use green if you want) and toss em in (NOTE - these are salty, so don't over salt!)
Toss with Pesto, pepper to taste and a little salt if needed - done!

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Squashy Nipples posted:

If the natural byproduct of fermentation is acid, how could adding acid retard the fermentation?
The same way alcohol, being the natural byproduct of fermentation by yeast, is also the limiting factor of that kind of fermentation. Lactic acid is lactobacillus piss. No organism thrives living in its own piss save the goon.

The question comes down to whether lactobacillus prefers a particular pH range (so that adding acid would directly impact its fermentation cycle) or whether only lactic acid interferes with its ability to work. According to this study, it has a wide range of pH tolerance but lactate concentration has a linear effect on its metabolism. Your initial hypothesis, while poorly reasoned, was correct: adding vinegar wouldn't impact the fermentation but is also unnecessary.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

As for green stuff for St. Patrick's day, you could do Colcannon, which is a mixture of mashed potatoes and greens, so it's green (and cheap and easy). It's not 100% green though, just white with green in it.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Holy poo poo, Squashy Nipples, you just got scienced.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

bartolimu posted:

The same way alcohol, being the natural byproduct of fermentation by yeast, is also the limiting factor of that kind of fermentation. Lactic acid is lactobacillus piss. No organism thrives living in its own piss save the goon.

The question comes down to whether lactobacillus prefers a particular pH range (so that adding acid would directly impact its fermentation cycle) or whether only lactic acid interferes with its ability to work. According to this study, it has a wide range of pH tolerance but lactate concentration has a linear effect on its metabolism. Your initial hypothesis, while poorly reasoned, was correct: adding vinegar wouldn't impact the fermentation but is also unnecessary.

If this wasn't clear to anyone reading, all fermentation works without being a breeding nest for every drat bacteria that comes along due to the byproducts. In alcoholic drinks, the yeast produces alcohol as bartolimu said. This ends up making the drink sterile and the yeast eventually eats all its food (sugar) and dies off on its own. The sterilization effect is the big reason that beer was the only safe thing people could drink until very recently, and it also is why preserved foods are popular in every culture; the high acid means they last much longer than the fresh thing.

I just think it's a really interesting process is all.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Eeyo posted:

As for green stuff for St. Patrick's day, you could do Colcannon, which is a mixture of mashed potatoes and greens, so it's green (and cheap and easy). It's not 100% green though, just white with green in it.

There's a kenyan potato/sweetcorn/spinach side dish called Mukimo that is very very green and also very tasty.

This is how I make it:

Mukimo

Potatoes ( maybe 6-8 normal size roosters?)
Can of chopped spinach (drained)
Can of sweetcorn (drained)
butter
salt n pepper

Boil spuds, mash, add butter and spinach. mash together, add drained corn, stir.

Pepper and salt to taste.

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

Does anyone have a vegetarian kofta recipe? Our Indian joint closed so I'm craving it. It was called kofta kashmiri.

edit: Just for kimchi/fermentation chat, I put some eggplant in my kimchi once. It had the texture of a shoe. So, that may be the one thing that you can't kimchi.

Barnum Brown Shoes fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 22, 2013

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Saint Darwin posted:

If this wasn't clear to anyone reading, all fermentation works without being a breeding nest for every drat bacteria that comes along due to the byproducts. In alcoholic drinks, the yeast produces alcohol as bartolimu said. This ends up making the drink sterile and the yeast eventually eats all its food (sugar) and dies off on its own.
Or the alcohol concentration reaches a point (depending on yeast strain, usually between 8% and 18%) that renders the yeast incapable of surviving.

quote:

The sterilization effect is the big reason that beer was the only safe thing people could drink until very recently
Right reason, wrong mechanism. The reason beer was safe to drink in Medieval times when water was not was because the brewing process requires boiling of the water. The amount of alcohol in a typical beer (most early European styles were below 8%) is insufficient to kill every pathogen or prevent spoilage. The boil rendered the water safe to drink, not the fermentation process.

Beer had a shelf life due to the presence of hops, which are a preservative, or (before the use of hops became popular) other herbs or flavorings with antibacterial properties. For instance, one ancient style of beer, the gose, included salt in the mix. One of the more common spoilage bacteria for beer is acetobacter, which eats alcohol and pisses acetic acid (vinegar). It doesn't play well with hop alpha acids or high salinity.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Well, I sort of remembered things I guess. Thanks for schooling my rear end.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The Midniter posted:

Holy poo poo, Squashy Nipples, you just got scienced.

You say that like it is a bad thing. :allears:

I knew that alcohol generally exhausts itself at some point, but it hadn't occurred to me that the same process would work with lacto, too. If the lactic acid won't go above a certain concentration, why does it keep fermenting forever?

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Squashy Nipples posted:

I knew that alcohol generally exhausts itself at some point, but it hadn't occurred to me that the same process would work with lacto, too. If the lactic acid won't go above a certain concentration, why does it keep fermenting forever?
In part because the bacteria go into a holding pattern after a certain point. From the study:

quote:

...when the substrate concentration exceeds 50 g/l, the bacteria switch to a nonproliferation
state and quantitatively convert glucose into lactic acid.
Also due to relatively low biomass. The study notes that biomass growth is greatest with a constant pH of 6. Maintaining that kind of environment during active fermentation would require the addition of a base to counter new lactic acid production. I'm guessing nobody sets up a baking soda titration over their pot of sauerkraut, so the pH will rapidly lower to levels less conducive to high bacterial concentrations.

Basically, you're dealing with a smaller mass of bacteria than the kraut is capable of supporting. Combine that with the fact their population stabilizes when they get less than halfway to shutting themselves down (50 g/l when the maximum tolerance is 130 g/l) leaves them with a lot of work to do very slowly. They'd eventually peter out completely, but who lets sauerkraut sit around that long?

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
I picked up a "Breast of Veal" for pretty cheap ($1.68 a lb!) and I don't really know what to do with it. I guess it's a section of the ribs with a flap of meat over them cause pretty much all the recipes online are for various stuffed breasts of veal, unfortunately, I'm pretty short on things to put inside it and was just going to make a pasta side to go with it.
Anyone know a good crock-pot recipe I can use to cook this thing?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

M42 posted:

I made a simple daal, but somehow it's too salty. Can I fix this any other way besides adding more lentils to it? I'm all out.

e: Also, I accidentally put the wrong burner on high. It was the one my teflon pot was on. I opened up the lid and smoke poured out. The pot had been washed and there wasn't any oil in it so I'm worried that's like, smoking teflon or something. Should I toss it? The bottom looks ok...

The trick I learned to cut salt from a dish, especially from stews, sauces, soups, is to use potatoes. You can even put the potatoes in a porous package like a cheese cloth and remove after they have absorbed some of the salt.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Is it possible to flavor risotto with Jambalaya seasoning, then when it's done add smoked Andouille Sausage and Smoked Duck? I was going to use duck fat for the initial coating of the risotto. I've only made risotto once before. I was just thinking in my head that I could do it.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Hollis posted:

Is it possible to flavor risotto with Jambalaya seasoning, then when it's done add smoked Andouille Sausage and Smoked Duck? I was going to use duck fat for the initial coating of the risotto. I've only made risotto once before. I was just thinking in my head that I could do it.

If you dream it you can do it!

Sure, I don't see why not. I'm not sure I see why, but that's more a question of taste than feasibility.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I feel like with as thick and creamy as risotto is, you want a bright note coming through, usually served by the white whine/lemon/something. Risotto with jambalaya spices, andouille and duck, is just going to come out tasting kinda muddy, since those are all really earthy flavors.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Daedalus Esquire posted:

I picked up a "Breast of Veal" for pretty cheap ($1.68 a lb!) and I don't really know what to do with it. I guess it's a section of the ribs with a flap of meat over them cause pretty much all the recipes online are for various stuffed breasts of veal, unfortunately, I'm pretty short on things to put inside it and was just going to make a pasta side to go with it.
Anyone know a good crock-pot recipe I can use to cook this thing?

Soup meat, I say. Simmer it with soup vegetables like carrot, leek, celeriac and celery, parsley and whatever else you can think of. Bring to a boil, skim, toss in veggies and let it simmer slowly for a couple of hours at least. I'd give it three for good measure. Don't let it boil vigorously. Soup first, then the meat with waxy potatoes, vegetables from the pot, sharp mustard and salt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wilhemina
Jun 21, 2011

The latest craze at work is juice fasting, (or juicin' as they tell it). I am skeptical of its benefits, but it's amazing how these folks get into making sludge for breakfast/lunch/dinner. Debating on whether to cut caffeine or not (coffee bad, tea good?), what vegetables/fruits are good or not, or even the definition of eating plants. ("I never had a beet before, those things are whack", "kale is easy to blend in powder form", "is bouillon ok?", "I guess ginger is a vegetable...") It sounds like we'd fit right in with an office sitcom.

Aside from all the noise, I like the idea of bringing homemade V8 to have at work during the day. What are some fantastic things I could make? I enjoy buying random vegetables at the store for variety at home, so any unusual ingredients would be fun to include.